Church Attendance and the COVID Excuse

11,083 Views | 163 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SteveA
AGC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sapper Redux said:

AGC said:

Sapper Redux said:

powerbelly said:

Sapper Redux said:

Why do you have to be physically in the building if you're still attending the service?

Participation in the Eucharist requires being physically present.

Okay. Is there some kind of timing requirement? Always seemed denomination-dependent and not exactly specified in the Bible.

Even the laziest evangelical who doesn't believe in the metaphysician presence knows the 'where two or more are gathered in my name' tripe. At least give us a good show next time.

How is that not achieved virtually? Do you have to share pathogens in order to attend a service?

TXAGFAN
AG
Honestly? They're enjoying their newfound second Saturday (what a couple I know who quit going to church call it and makes me laugh).
diehard03
Quote:

Why do you have to be physically in the building if you're still attending the service?

As a non-Eucharist person, I don't think God is so weak that he cannot bond his people together "virtually", but it seems like He allows our human nature to manifest in this instance.

As humans, I don't believe we are as connected to one another if we are not socially gathered. I don't know what it is - but its something that we have not replicated with technology thus far.

Now, to others points, if one's church's foundation was a well orated, punchline filled, "relevant" sermon...then those churches are struggling. Leaning into consumerism means you attract/teach consumerism...and your flock have moved onto the next consumeristic thing (ie, see the Second Saturday comment).
TxAgPreacher
S
Following the NT example they gathered together in the same room to partake it what we call communion... what does that word mean.

They also gathered together on the first day of the week to remember the Lords death.

We are also commanded to sing, songs, hymns, and spiritual songs, and to edify one another. All things you have to be physically present to truly participate in.

You cannot stir me up to love and good works sitting on the couch at home. You cannot encourage me if you cannot speak to me, and dont know my problems.

Pastors cannot shepherd the flock if they cant get to know them, or check on them weekly.

Most churches have no idea who is watching services online. How can we serve eachother if you don't assemble.

The word church means assembly. You cannot be a part of the Lord's church if you don't assemble.
Sapper Redux
Cool. You realize they didn't have germ theory in the first century, right?
AGC
AG
Sapper Redux said:

Slow your roll. Covid isn't the only pathogen humans swap. Healthy and strong immune systems don't form in isolation; they form through contact with pathogens. The argument is bigger even for the secular materialist. It's not about pathogens: it's about ordering society based on one specific current pathogen.
Duncan Idaho
TXAGFAN said:

Honestly? They're enjoying their newfound second Saturday (what a couple I know who quit going to church call it and makes me laugh).

covid made it easier to get the girlfriend to stop attending or expecting me to attend. The rampant sexual assault and institutional support of across all levels of ARC leadership gave me an easy nonconfrontational way to put my foot down an say "I will no longer attend, in person or otherwise, the rapey church."

https://arcchurches.com/

http://thewartburgwatch.com/2021/10/20/part-1-dino-rizzo-and-pastors-leaders-of-the-arc-get-sued-over-allegations-of-sexual-abuse-and-coverup/

Good news is I wasn't alone.
Sapper Redux
AGC said:

Sapper Redux said:

Slow your roll. Covid isn't the only pathogen humans swap. Healthy and strong immune systems don't form in isolation; they form through contact with pathogens. The argument is bigger even for the secular materialist. It's not about pathogens: it's about ordering society based on one specific current pathogen.
You realize people die after coming in contact with pathogens, right? "Natural immunity" requires infection. Which, you know... doesn't always have the best outcome.

The Black Death might have gone slightly better with a little more isolation, despite the popularity of "natural immunity" as a treatment.
Macarthur
TxAgPreacher said:

Following the NT example they gathered together in the same room to partake it what we call communion... what does that word mean.

They also gathered together on the first day of the week to remember the Lords death.

We are also commanded to sing, songs, hymns, and spiritual songs, and to edify one another. All things you have to be physically present to truly participate in.

You cannot stir me up to love and good works sitting on the couch at home. You cannot encourage me if you cannot speak to me, and dont know my problems.

Pastors cannot shepherd the flock if they cant get to know them, or check on them weekly.

Most churches have no idea who is watching services online. How can we serve eachother if you don't assemble.

The word church means assembly. You cannot be a part of the Lord's church if you don't assemble.

Not to derail...Maybe it would be great to start another thread (we could do it here because there is a good deal of philosophy - )

I can't help but my eye go to your signature. You want Texas to become an independent nation?
AGC
AG
Sapper Redux said:

AGC said:

Sapper Redux said:

You realize people die after coming in contact with pathogens, right? "Natural immunity" requires infection. Which, you know... doesn't always have the best outcome.

The Black Death might have gone slightly better with a little more isolation, despite the popularity of "natural immunity" as a treatment.

Moving the goalposts. People have always died from pathogens and will always die from pathogens. The point is that human contact with regularity is necessary. Being two seasons removed from the flu and cold has it's own effect. We don't use extremes to set healthy boundaries. If it's endemic people will keep dying of COVID til the end of time. We have jabs, protocols, some natural immunity floating around. We can live our life and meet in person with a healthy understanding of risk. This is last mile fog.
Wakesurfer817
Sapper Redux said:

Is a concert or a football game or a dinner with friends better if you attend in person or virtually?

Either vaccines work or they don't. If they work (which I believe they do - spectacularly in fact), and you're vaccinated, then there's no reason to attend church virtually any more.
Macarthur
Wakesurfer817 said:

Sapper Redux said:

Is a concert or a football game or a dinner with friends better if you attend in person or virtually?

Either vaccines work or they don't. If they work (which I believe they do - spectacularly in fact), and you're vaccinated, then there's no reason to attend church virtually any more.

The problem with this is that depending on denomination (evangelicals have the least %) Church goers are anywhere from 15-30% less vaccinated than the general population depending on which poll you read. So, unfortunately, church goers are not vaccinated enough to significantly slow the spread.
AGC
AG
Macarthur said:

Wakesurfer817 said:

Sapper Redux said:

The problem with this is that depending on denomination (evangelicals have the least %) Church goers are anywhere from 15-30% less vaccinated than the general population depending on which poll you read. So, unfortunately, church goers are not vaccinated enough to significantly slow the spread.

Who's still trying to slow the spread? It's here, been here, will be here and will spread. In fact those congregations have probably already spread it multiple times (and natural immunity > shot + no infection according to every board here). It will keep spreading even after they get the shot, and the shot, and the shot, and the shot, ad infinitum.

The measure of 'success' as vaccination rates is decoupling from defeating the virus. It's now prevent every death even by 15 degrees of separation. It's reached an absurd point and it's time to end it.
Sapper Redux
AGC said:

Sapper Redux said:

AGC said:

Sapper Redux said:

Moving the goalposts. People have always died from pathogens and will always die from pathogens. The point is that human contact with regularity is necessary. Being two seasons removed from the flu and cold has it's own effect. We don't use extremes to set healthy boundaries. If it's endemic people will keep dying of COVID til the end of time. We have jabs, protocols, some natural immunity floating around. We can live our life and meet in person with a healthy understanding of risk. This is last mile fog.
Haven't moved any goalposts. It's reality. "Natural immunity" requires infection. Which can be deadly. Oh, and Coronaviruses, in general, don't produce lasting immunity.
Wakesurfer817
Macarthur said:

Wakesurfer817 said:

Sapper Redux said:

The OP's question revolves around folks that continue to go to work and generally involve themselves in public activities exclusive of church. Are you arguing that unvaccinated people don't attend church because they don't want to spread the virus? Staying with the OP's question - why would they attend work and/or other public activities?

AGC
AG
Sapper Redux said:

AGC said:

Sapper Redux said:

AGC said:

Sapper Redux said:

Haven't moved any goalposts. It's reality. "Natural immunity" requires infection. Which can be deadly. Oh, and Coronaviruses, in general, don't produce lasting immunity.

So everyone's pretty well informed by now and can make their own risk assessment, yes? Cool.
Macarthur
Wakesurfer817 said:

Macarthur said:

Wakesurfer817 said:

Sapper Redux said:

The OP's question revolves around folks that continue to go to work and generally involve themselves in public activities exclusive of church. Are you arguing that unvaccinated people don't attend church because they don't want to spread the virus? Staying with the OP's question - why would they attend work and/or other public activities?

As someone that is not a church goer, I'm not really that concerned with why people are going or not.

My only point with this comment is that it seemed to imply that you were saying that since there are vaccines, people should get back to church. I was just saying that, it appears, church folks are vaccinated at a lower rate than the general public so these congregations haven't reached any sort of immunity based on that. Who knows if that factors into any of these folks decision making. It certainly might with the elderly.

As for other activities, I would say that going into a crowded church and everyone singing off and on throughout the hour poses a significantly diff risk profile than going to work or the grocery store.
Wakesurfer817
Macarthur said:

As someone that is not a church goer, I'm not really that concerned with why people are going or not.

My only point with this comment is that it seemed to imply that you were saying that since there are vaccines, people should get back to church. I was just saying that, it appears, church folks are vaccinated at a lower rate than the general public so these congregations haven't reached any sort of immunity based on that. Who knows if that factors into any of these folks decision making. It certainly might with the elderly.

As for other activities, I would say that going into a crowded church and everyone singing off and on throughout the hour poses a significantly diff risk profile than going to work or the grocery store.

If you are unvaccinated and concerned about the virus - I agree - you shouldn't attend church. I think this group is a very, very small one.

TxAgPreacher
S
Sapper Redux said:

The almighty knew about it and gave the Jews rules for the unclean. They mirror closely our CDC guidelines.

Also the sabbath was made for man not man for sabbath. In cases of emergency I have no problem with suspending service.

Covid never was never really that deadly. Based on what we know now, it's more than 99% survivable. I stand by what I said.

If you're skipping church out of convenience, you're sinning.

If you're sick stay home. Simple as that. Same as it's been since before the first century.
Macarthur
TxAgPreacher said:

Sapper Redux said:

The almighty knew about it and gave the Jews rules for the unclean. They mirror closely our CDC guidelines.

Also the sabbath was made for man not man for sabbath. In cases of emergency I have no problem with suspending service.

Covid never was never really that deadly. Based on what we know now, it's more than 99% survivable. I stand by what I said.

If you're sick stay home. Simple as that. Same as it's been since before the first century.

That's a very loaded statement. You do realize that 1% of 350m is 3.5m people? People love to use that 99% survival rate but don't really dive into what that really means.

And death is not the only metric of damage done by this. We're still learning but as many as 30% of folks that got moderate to severe symptoms have what they're calling long covid which will have life long affects.
Solo Tetherball Champ
Macarthur said:

TxAgPreacher said:

Sapper Redux said:

That's a very loaded statement. You do realize that 1% of 350m is 3.5m people? People love to use that 99% survival rate but don't really dive into what that really means.

And death is not the only metric of damage done by this. We're still learning but as many as 30% of folks that got moderate to severe symptoms have what they're calling long covid which will have life long affects.
And most of those 1% are going to be those people who are a combination of old, infirm, and obese.

Macarthur
Which of course don't deserve to live.
diehard03
"For God so loved the world..." is certainly on display here.
10andBOUNCE
AG
I didn't read anything past the first page but as far as I'm concerned as a Christian, we should not be fearing death at all. Easier said than done, no doubt about it, but I can't think of a better place to be than Heaven with our God. So to avoid church because we're ultimately afraid of dying seems not correct from my standpoint.
Sapper Redux
TxAgPreacher said:

Sapper Redux said:

The CDC declares that menstruating women are unclean for 7 days and that eating shellfish violates the law?
TxAgPreacher
S
Macarthur said:

TxAgPreacher said:

Sapper Redux said:

Bad take. Not everyone will catch it, and its actually significantly lower than 1 percent.

Long covid is extremely rare.

75% who died had 4 comorbidities or more.

Many died "with covid" not from it.

Cowardice is a sin.
Sapper Redux
TxAgPreacher said:

Macarthur said:

TxAgPreacher said:

Sapper Redux said:

Bad take not everyone will catch it, and its actually significantly lower than 1 percent.

It's over 1% of those who caught Covid. Long Covid affects millions. And those with 4 comorbidities are equal to you in value.
TxAgPreacher
S
Sapper Redux said:

TxAgPreacher said:

Macarthur said:

TxAgPreacher said:

Sapper Redux said:

Bad take not everyone will catch it, and its actually significantly lower than 1 percent.

It's over 1% of those who caught Covid. Long Covid affects millions. And those with 4 comorbidities are equal to you in value.

Sure they are, but they are about to die anyways, and are what we call shut ins. They don't get to come to church much anyways.

For the vast majority of people it's about as serious as the flu. For young and healthy people they need to be at work, school, and church for their mental, and spiritual health.
TxAgPreacher
S
Macarthur said:

What a nasty motive to attribute to someone. You should be ashamed. You're not arguing in good faith.
nortex97
AG
Sapper Redux said:

AGC said:

Sapper Redux said:

AGC said:

Sapper Redux said:

Fact check: False.

Natural immunity has always been the best kind. Including for coronaviruses.

Quote:

For most of last year, many of us called for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to release its data on reinfection rates, but the agency refused. Finally last week, the CDC released data from New York and California, which demonstrated natural immunity was 2.8 times as effective in preventing hospitalization and 3.3 to 4.7 times as effective in preventing Covid infection compared with vaccination.
Sapper Redux
TxAgPreacher said:

Macarthur said:

What a nasty motive to attribute to someone. You should be ashamed. You're not arguing in good faith.

You just said in a reply to me that, "they are about to die anyway." Pretty clear you don't give a damn about them.
Macarthur
Sapper Redux said:

TxAgPreacher said:

Macarthur said:

You just said in a reply to me that, "they are about to die anyway." Pretty clear you don't give a damn about them.
Exactly what I was about to post. At least mine was snarky. Your quote above wasn't.
TxAgPreacher
S
Sapper Redux said:

TxAgPreacher said:

Macarthur said:

What I said was true. It's a sad fact of life. You saying I don't care is a horrible thing to say. It's not true, and It makes you a bad person to make a baseless accusation like that.
PacifistAg
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

I didn't read anything past the first page but as far as I'm concerned as a Christian, we should not be fearing death at all. Easier said than done, no doubt about it, but I can't think of a better place to be than Heaven with our God. So to avoid church because we're ultimately afraid of dying seems not correct from my standpoint.

Yes. May we, as Christians, just be consistent with this view in other areas as well.
Macarthur
TxAgPreacher said:

Sapper Redux said:

TxAgPreacher said:

Macarthur said:

What I said was true. It's a sad fact of life. You saying I don't care is a horrible thing to say. It's not true, and It makes you a bad person to make a baseless accusation like that.
You have accused both of us of being bad people but all we have done is point out that you posted that people that died from covid 'were dying anyway'. That was an incredibly insensitive thing to say, not to mention that it's a very dubious claim. You are aware that people live into old age with 'comorbidities'?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.