Christianity Today: The Rise and Fall of Mars Hill (Mark Driscoll)

25,246 Views | 229 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by diehard03
Sb1540
How long do you want to ignore this user?
dermdoc said:

10andBOUNCE said:

I'm no theologian by any means, but it's one of those instances that if you're just coasting through life without any regard to the call and purpose Christ has for you, then you may not have really been regenerated like you think. You're not saved by saying a prayer in church one day. I believe Piper's argument is that if your life has boiled down to lounging on the beach without any regard to the cross of Christ and dying to self, then you may not really be saved. It may be uncomfortable to hear but there's a pretty good chance it's true.

I think the seashell example is a bit sensationalized however his point is valid as we Americans make these grand retirement plans that revolve around leisure, comfort and an attitude of ourselves being god.
Fair enough. But he is a proclaimed "seven point Calvinist" so nothing we do has any bearing on whether we are saved or not, correct?

God chooses who He will save and who he will not in Piper's theology. So how could one "lose" their salvation if they have no control over it at all? And how can what we do or not do have any effect on our salvation?

And please understand I am just throwing the question out and not trying to criticize or question you.

It just makes no sense.

The calvinists need to give it up. Predestination is dying anyways. The theology is ridiculous and many Protestants are searching for something more.
c-jags
Orthodox Texan said:

dermdoc said:

10andBOUNCE said:

I'm no theologian by any means, but it's one of those instances that if you're just coasting through life without any regard to the call and purpose Christ has for you, then you may not have really been regenerated like you think. You're not saved by saying a prayer in church one day. I believe Piper's argument is that if your life has boiled down to lounging on the beach without any regard to the cross of Christ and dying to self, then you may not really be saved. It may be uncomfortable to hear but there's a pretty good chance it's true.

I think the seashell example is a bit sensationalized however his point is valid as we Americans make these grand retirement plans that revolve around leisure, comfort and an attitude of ourselves being god.
Fair enough. But he is a proclaimed "seven point Calvinist" so nothing we do has any bearing on whether we are saved or not, correct?

God chooses who He will save and who he will not in Piper's theology. So how could one "lose" their salvation if they have no control over it at all? And how can what we do or not do have any effect on our salvation?

And please understand I am just throwing the question out and not trying to criticize or question you.

It just makes no sense.

The calvinists need to give it up. Predestination is dying anyways. The theology is ridiculous and many Protestants are searching for something less difficult to swallow.
fify
dermdoc
AG
c-jags said:

Orthodox Texan said:

dermdoc said:

10andBOUNCE said:

It just makes no sense.

The calvinists need to give it up. Predestination is dying anyways. The theology is ridiculous and many Protestants are searching for something less difficult to swallow.
fify
So you believe in double predestination?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Frok
AG
dermdoc said:

With all due respect, can any Piper supporters address the actual words from his book above?

Thanks.

Where did you get that picture? What is it from?

Go Google, John Piper, can you lose your salvation. You will see what he believes.

So going back to this, what is the context? It would be helpful to see the pages leading up to it and the pages after.

I don't consider myself a John Piper supporter, I'm not a calvinist, but I can reason well enough that he doesn't believe what you are claiming he is teaching.
dermdoc
AG
That picture is a shot of my kindle with Piper's book on retirement on it.

Direct stuff. And as far as context, he pretty much repetitively said that if you do not do the stuff he talks about(mission work, building orphanages, etc.)then you are either not really saved or even could lose your salvation.

And if he is not teaching it, why is it in his book?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dermdoc
AG

Pictures of the cover and info page.
Frok
AG
Fair enough.

On being repetitive, that is why I generally struggle with any Christian Living or Self-Help book. They tell you all you need to know in the intro and then spend the rest of the book repeating it.
dermdoc
AG
Frok said:

Fair enough.

On being repetitive, that is why I generally struggle with any Christian Living or Self-Help book. They tell you all you need to know in the intro and then spend the rest of the book repeating it.
Agree. Just a weird statement by Piper.
10andBOUNCE
AG
dermdoc said:

10andBOUNCE said:

It just makes no sense.

Happy to engage about this stuff, as long as it's not another trap that further divides followers of Christ. I don't think the correct frame of mind is that someone loses their salvation. I believe it's a situation in which they never had it. God isn't going to draw someone in, regenerate them, only for them to overpower God's sovereign will.

Look, I struggle with some facets of the reformed theology, but I rest my doubts knowing that the design from the beginning was for us to never be able to grasp all God's ways. When it comes down to it, I honestly believe it's gotta be a mix of both God's irresistible call and our free will. I wrestle with scripture when seems definitive in one spot and not so much in another. All I know is that the road is narrow and I surely don't want to be deceived by society, culture, politics or whatever else.

Do I think it's okay to go fishing or collect shells during retirement? Of course. That isn't what Piper was scrutinizing though - not the act but that pervasive lifestyle that is void of Christ on his throne in our lives - whatever life stage we are in. In my opinion retired Christian folks are chalked full of wisdom and to not use that on the younger generations or to serve others is indeed a waste of their life.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
dermdoc said:

Pictures of the cover and info page.
You need a new iPad.
dermdoc
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

dermdoc said:

10andBOUNCE said:

It just makes no sense.

Happy to engage about this stuff, as long as it's not another trap that further divides followers of Christ. I don't think the correct frame of mind is that someone loses their salvation. I believe it's a situation in which they never had it. God isn't going to draw someone in, regenerate them, only for them to overpower God's sovereign will.

Look, I struggle with some facets of the reformed theology, but I rest my doubts knowing that the design from the beginning was for us to never be able to grasp all God's ways. When it comes down to it, I honestly believe it's gotta be a mix of both God's irresistible call and our free will. I wrestle with scripture when seems definitive in one spot and not so much in another. All I know is that the road is narrow and I surely don't want to be deceived by society, culture, politics or whatever else.

Do I think it's okay to go fishing or collect shells during retirement? Of course. That isn't what Piper was scrutinizing though - not the act but that pervasive lifestyle that is void of Christ on his throne in our lives - whatever life stage we are in. In my opinion retired Christian folks are chalked full of wisdom and to not use that on the younger generations or to serve others is indeed a waste of their life.
Actually isn't collecting sea shells exactly what Piper talked about? And if you did that you could lose your salvation?

Is there a secret code I am missing?

And I know and love the Lord. This is not what he is about.
Serotonin
AG
Apparently A&M leaders have been gathering shells for last 6 months. . .
dermdoc
AG
Serotonin said:

Apparently A&M leaders have been gathering shells for last 6 months. . .
Yep.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
dermdoc said:

With all due respect, can any Piper supporters address the actual words from his book above?

Thanks.

I'm sure I have that book on my shelf somewhere. I think Piper is simply talking about the principe that those who are truly Christians will endure.

I assume you'd agree that just by citing a wrote prayer without nothing more doesn't give you a free pass to heaven.
dermdoc
AG
God's grace is a free pass to Heaven from my reading of the Scriptures. Isn't that what the Gospel, or Good News, is all about?

And the blood of Jesus is sufficient for my salvation.

What do you think we have to do? Besides have faith?
dermdoc
AG
And for some reason, the damning of seashell gathering by Piper bothers me.

How is that different than golfing? Hunting? Taking a walk? Watching a movie?

What activities are "okay" according to Piper? And which are a "waste of my life"? Or a threat to my salvation?

Obviously, I disagree with this theology. And thank God no man can take my salvation away. No matter what they think.

Praise God.

Not a Bot
AG
I think each day I'm becoming more inclined to become a Catholic.
dermdoc
AG
Captain Positivity said:

I think each day I'm becoming more inclined to become a Catholic.
Pope Francis says howdy.
Frok
AG
dermdoc said:

What activities are "okay" according to Piper? And which are a "waste of my life"? Or a threat to my salvation?

Obviously, I disagree with this theology. And thank God no man can take my salvation away. No matter what they think.

Praise God.

Being obtuse on Texags is wasting your life.
dermdoc
AG
Frok said:

dermdoc said:

Praise God.

Being obtuse on Texags is wasting your life.
Believe it or not, I am just being me. Guess I am simple minded.

And I posted the exact page from Piper's book. Read that and tell me how you come to any other conclusion than I did.
Frok
AG
It's all good Derm, enjoy conversing with you.
dermdoc
AG
Same here
Pro Sandy
AG
dermdoc said:

10andBOUNCE said:

dermdoc said:

10andBOUNCE said:

It just makes no sense.

Actually isn't collecting sea shells exactly what Piper talked about? And if you did that you could lose your salvation?

Is there a secret code I am missing?

And I know and love the Lord. This is not what he is about.
The seashells is an illustration, the point of the sermon is Galatians 6:14. But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Take a look at the sermon itself.
https://www.desiringgod.org/messages/boasting-only-in-the-cross

I don't see anything in there about losing your salvation. Instead he is contrasting living a life for Jesus verses for yourself. The seashells are an illustration of someone who devotes their life to self pleasure. It is contrasted with two women who die while in the mission field.

Further to the point, John cites a story where a man comes to Christ late in life. The man cries saying "I've wasted it." The man is saved, but he is acknowledging wasting his life for himself instead of for Christ.

But you don't have to take my word for it, read John's thoughts on his sermon.
https://www.desiringgod.org/interviews/reflections-on-the-seashells-sermon-18-years-later
dermdoc
AG
Thanks. And I agree with Piper as long as he does not bring losing salvation into it. Which he did in the book I took a picture of and posted above. And it bothered me as you can tell. I am not a Lordship salvation guy as to me, it implies works are necessary for "true salvation". I find that very troubling from my reading of Paul, especially Romans.

Also as wisely posted above, I do not want to get in the trap of dividing the body of Christ over insignificant arguments. So I am accepting that Piper did not mean you could lose your salvation if you knowingly "wasted your life" by his definition

Thanks again and God bless.
dermdoc
AG
One more thing. I kind of liken it to the book of James. James is talking to believers and is exhorting them much like Piper. He does not threaten them with loss of salvation,
Pro Sandy
AG
dermdoc said:

Seems to me like horrible theology. And who sets the standards for "perseverance"?

And how does a "seven point Calvinist" believe anyone can "lose" their salvation?

I think the order he puts things is important for his argument.

If one is saved, they will persevere. The salvation leads to perseverance, not the other way.

Therefore, if one is not persevering, they are not saved.

That is the argument he is making. It is much deeper than that, but for those two paragraphs posted, that seems to be the argument.

Not losing salvation is a hallmark of John's teachings.
dermdoc
AG
Fair enough.
dermdoc
AG
But I always thought perseverance of the saints equated to once saved, always saved. And eternal security.

I did not think it was based on works which Piper seems to be preaching. Maybe it is me.
dermdoc
AG
And from this link it is not just me. He thinks you must have works.

https://www.desiringgod.org/interviews/will-we-be-finally-saved-by-faith-alone

"But we are finally saved through sanctification". He is saying exactly what I posted from his book.

Sounds like theosis from the Orthodox theology.

It just seems contrary to "once saved always saved" which to me means once justified that you are saved. No matter whether you fall away or not.

He is putting stipulations, or works on salvation imho.

FWIW, Macarthur and Chan do the same thing. As do all the Lordship salvation guys.
Pro Sandy
AG
dermdoc said:

It just seems contrary to "once saved always saved" which to me means once justified that you are saved. No matter whether you fall away or not.
That's a conundrum in reformed theology. Usually too simplistically explained away as if you are of the elect, you won't fall away.

It loses the reassurance it is supposed to have when I have bad days, which are quite common.
dermdoc
AG
Pro Sandy said:

dermdoc said:

That's a conundrum in reformed theology. Usually too simplistically explained away as if you are of the elect, you won't fall away.

It loses the reassurance it is supposed to have when I have bad days, which are quite common.

I hear you. And agree.

Not sure reformed pastors do.

And for a theology that declares to be grace alone, I just do not see it. Lots of stipulations to prove you are saved.
dermdoc
AG
Pro Sandy said:

dermdoc said:

And I thought about this last night. I am not sure it is conundrum of the reformed theology or a problem with how that theology is presented to us by Lordship salvation pastors. It even varies from LS pastor to LS pastor. All seem to have different "requirements" to prove one is saved.

They seem to make it much more complicated than it is. Certainly seems very different from the simple gospel preached by Paul.

Sometimes I think they are more concerned about theology than the Gospel.
dermdoc
AG
https://rachelgreenmiller.com/2017/10/04/salvation-by-grace-alone-through-faith-alone-in-christ-alone/

I like this better.

Romans 11:6
But it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works, otherwise grace is no longer grace.
Pro Sandy
AG
Those concerns though, I don't hear preached on Sunday from the pulpit in reformed churches.

Instead I hear taught, scripture alone, Christ alone, faith alone, grace alone, to the glory of God alone.

I think our concerns we discussed are quite legitimate, but I find comfort not hearing a works based gospel. Instead, a gospel where God is sovereign and when I mess up, it isn't a sign that I'm not saved, but a sign that I'm still being sanctified and the comfort comes in knowing that my salvation isn't based on my work but Christ's alone. That when I fall short even today, my identity remains in Christ.

That is what I hear every Sunday in reformed churches. In the 5 different reformed churches I have been a member of, I have never heard taught that if I am still sinning, it is a sign that I'm not of the elect.
dermdoc
AG
Agree.

Two things
It seems Piper is kind of an outlier as far as reformed theology goes.

I should not read Piper.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.