Who Killed Ananias and Sapphira?

12,821 Views | 346 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by PacifistAg
7thGenTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Do you stand by the entire book of Ezekiel?
Martin Q. Blank
7thGenTexan said:

He's already shown that when a prophet hears something that Bryan doesn't like, it was a fallen angel.

Now to work on how that jives with
Quote:

A prophet is a messenger of God who preaches the truth to a people who have lost it. He is ahead of his time.
Bryanisbest
AG
7thGenTexan said:

Yes. But There are things in there where you have to "go deeper" to know who is the real culprit as Brothers dermdoc and Retired Ag have so eloquently pointed out regarding other OT passages.

Ezekiel and Jeremiah did not have the revelation of the New Testament as we do in order to compare what they were hearing to what Jesus himself said. The Bible is a progressive revelation
Martin Q. Blank
Bryanisbest said:

7thGenTexan said:

Yes. But There are things in there where you have to "go deeper" to know who is the real culprit as Brothers dermdoc and Retired Ag have so eloquently pointed out regarding other OT passages.
"go deeper" is code word for "Satan did it", correct?
7thGenTexan
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

7thGenTexan said:

He's already shown that when a prophet hears something that Bryan doesn't like, it was a fallen angel.

Quote:

A prophet is a messenger of God who preaches the truth to a people who have lost it. He is ahead of his time.

I was going to ask whether Jesus said anyone else was going to be sent to this fire within Satan that was prepared for him (presumably by himself), but this has really gone on long enough.
Bryanisbest
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

Bryanisbest said:

7thGenTexan said:

"go deeper" is code word for "Satan did it", correct?

I told you what I was going to do with you and not in code words. Follow Retired Ag's advice
Bryanisbest
AG
7thGenTexan said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

7thGenTexan said:

Quote:

I was going to ask whether Jesus said anyone else was going to be sent to this fire within Satan that was prepared for him (presumably by himself), but this has really gone on long enough.

I agree with long enough. We end on an agreement
Bryanisbest
AG
7thGenTexan said:

Bryanisbest said:

7thGenTexan said:

Bryanisbest said:

7thGenTexan said:

Bryanisbest said:

7thGenTexan said:

Speaking of Satan and the fallen angels, what is God going to do with them after he's done using them to fulfil his promises?

Every knee will bow and every knee will confess" that Jesus is King," including Satan's knee. Whether that means an end for Satan of self-destruction or salvation I do not know

Does the Bible say what will happen to them? If so, is that part of the Bible accurate?

Bible seems to indicate Satan will self-destruct. Ezek 28:18

Did Jesus say that any place was prepared for him and his angels?

Yes, and notice in the verse Ezek 28:18 that Satan is destroyed by fire but a fire coming from WITHIN him, not a fire outside of him. Satan will self-destruct and will not be destroyed by God. Notice that Satan is cast out by the cross event, an event that Satan caused. John 12:31. Evil is always allowed by God to destroy itself.

Who separates the wheat from the chaff?

SATAN DOES. God allows it. See a verse right on point to your question: LUKE 22:31-32!!!'

I really am out of here this time. Catch y'all (except MQB) later!
7thGenTexan
AG
You just took that completely out of context. You need to read Luke 3:17. That's from John the Baptist. And as for sheep from goats, that's from Jesus in the passage about the place prepared for Satan and his angels.

You have just attributed to Satan what Jesus said he himself will do in Matthew 25.

That is what this false doctrine of Bryanism and retiredanity has come to.

And I thought accusing Peter of murder by witchcraft was a stretch back at the beginning of this thread.
Bryanisbest
AG
7thGenTexan said:

You just took that completely out of context. You need to read Luke 3:17. That's from John the Baptist. And as for sheep from goats, that's from Jesus in the passage about the place prepared for Satan and his angels.

You have just attributed to Satan what Jesus said he himself will do in Matthew 25.

And I thought accusing Peter of murder by witchcraft was a stretch back at the beginning of this thread.

Wut? "Satan has demanded to have you that he might sift you as wheat . . . ". Luke 22:31-32. Sure looks to me like Satan is the sifter and separater here. Did I miss something? Seems right on point to your question: who is the one who separates wheat from chaff. Amirite?
7thGenTexan
AG
Bryanisbest said:

7thGenTexan said:

Wut? "Satan has demanded to have you that he might sift you as wheat . . . ". Luke 22:31-32. Sure looks to me like Satan is the sifter and separater here. Did I miss something? Seems right on point to your question: who is the one who separates wheat from chaff. Amirite?

Now try reading the passages I just posted. Then you'll have the opportunity to retract your statement that the works of Jesus - claimed by himself - are actually the works of Satan.

From Luke 3:
15 Now as the people were in expectation, and all reasoned in their hearts about John, whether he was the Christ or not, 16 John answered, saying to all, "I indeed baptize you with water; but One mightier than I is coming, whose sandal strap I am not worthy to loose. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. 17 His winnowing fan is in His hand, and He will thoroughly clean out His threshing floor, and gather the wheat into His barn; but the chaff He will burn with unquenchable fire."

And from Matthew 25:
"When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the holy[c] angels with Him, then He will sit on the throne of His glory. 32 All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats. 33 And He will set the sheep on His right hand, but the goats on the left. 34 Then the King will say to those on His right hand, 'Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 35 for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; 36 I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.'

37 "Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? 38 When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? 39 Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?' 40 And the King will answer and say to them, 'Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.'

41 "Then He will also say to those on the left hand, 'Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels: 42 for I was hungry and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty and you gave Me no drink; 43 I was a stranger and you did not take Me in, naked and you did not clothe Me, sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.'

44 "Then they also will answer Him,saying, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to You?' 45 Then He will answer them, saying, 'Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.' 46 And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

Bryanisbest
AG
7thGenTexan said:

Bryanisbest said:

7thGenTexan said:

Now try reading the passages I just posted. Then you'll have the opportunity to retract your statement that the works of Jesus - claimed by himself - are actually the works of Satan.

From Luke 3:
15 Now as the people were in expectation, and all reasoned in their hearts about John, whether he was the Christ or not, 16 John answered, saying to all, "I indeed baptize you with water; but One mightier than I is coming, whose sandal strap I am not worthy to loose. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. 17 His winnowing fan is in His hand, and He will thoroughly clean out His threshing floor, and gather the wheat into His barn; but the chaff He will burn with unquenchable fire."

And from Matthew 25:
"When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the holy[c] angels with Him, then He will sit on the throne of His glory. 32 All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats. 33 And He will set the sheep on His right hand, but the goats on the left. 34 Then the King will say to those on His right hand, 'Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 35 for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; 36 I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.'

37 "Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? 38 When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? 39 Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?' 40 And the King will answer and say to them, 'Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.'

41 "Then He will also say to those on the left hand, 'Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels: 42 for I was hungry and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty and you gave Me no drink; 43 I was a stranger and you did not take Me in, naked and you did not clothe Me, sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.'

44 "Then they also will answer Him,saying, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to You?' 45 Then He will answer them, saying, 'Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.' 46 And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

I notice you completely fail to acknowledge my direct answer citing a verse right on point to you question, "Who separates the wheat from the chaff?" The clear answer in Luke 22:31-32 is Satan but you act like those verses don't count and quickly change to another passage. Does Luke 22:31-32 provide a direct answer or not? Answer that then we will discuss the burning passage you want to move to.

Martin Q. Blank

Quote:

I really am out of here this time. Catch y'all (except MQB) later!
I pray you will come to know how much more God loves you right now and forever than you know now.

I'll be here if you ever want to talk.
Bryanisbest
AG
Thanks I will think about that
AgLiving06
Martin Q. Blank said:

Quote:

I have enjoyed the joust MQB but I will have to stop answering your questions based on what Retired Ag posted to me earlier in this thread. God bless you, Sir
yah, when RetiredAg gets backed into a corner, he does the same thing. Blessings and have a terrific day!

I'm assuming this is why Bryan no longer responds to me either.
Bryanisbest
AG
No sir. My failure in your case was accidental. My failure in his case was intentional after the warning given me by Retired Ag.
Bryanisbest
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

Bryanisbest said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Quote:

I have enjoyed the joust MQB but I will have to stop answering your questions based on what Retired Ag posted to me earlier in this thread. God bless you, Sir
yah, when RetiredAg gets backed into a corner, he does the same thing. Blessings and have a terrific day!
Somehow I suspect you really don't want me to have a blessed and terrific day. And that is okay. I pray you will come to know how much God loves you right now and forever.
I'll never know that and neither will you.

We can continue our conversation, though. I'm interested to learn how Satan told Abraham to kill Isaac and the writer of Hebrews commends Abraham for believing him.

Answer: In the same way God commended Job in Job 42 for his faith even though it was not God, but Satan, who actually tested and tempted Job throughout the book of Job.
AgLiving06
Bryanisbest said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Bryanisbest said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Quote:

Somehow I suspect you really don't want me to have a blessed and terrific day. And that is okay. I pray you will come to know how much God loves you right now and forever.

We can continue our conversation, though. I'm interested to learn how Satan told Abraham to kill Isaac and the writer of Hebrews commends Abraham for believing him.

Answer: In the same way God commended Job in Job 42 for his faith even though it was not God, but Satan, who actually tested and tempted Job throughout the book of Job.

There's a logical flaw here though.

Your claim boils down to the OT being wrong and misapplying Satan's work to God.

Jesus was obviously THE expert or source on all things Biblical right? We see Him quote the OT repeatedly and He fulfilled the prophecies of the OT.

However, during all of that time, we never see Jesus make the same "correction" to the OT that you are.

So I guess what you are really saying is that not only was "God the Father" limited, but Jesus was also unaware that the OT was wrong?
Bryanisbest
AG
AgLiving06 said:

Bryanisbest said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Bryanisbest said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Quote:

Your claim boils down to the OT being wrong and misapplying Satan's work to God.

Jesus was obviously THE expert or source on all things Biblical right? We see Him quote the OT repeatedly and He fulfilled the prophecies of the OT.

However, during all of that time, we never see Jesus make the same "correction" to the OT that you are.

So I guess what you are really saying is that not only was "God the Father" limited, but Jesus was also unaware that the OT was wrong?

Off the cuff several corrections to OT by Jesus come to mind:

1. He won't have the woman stoned as commanded by Old Testament (John 8:1-10);
2. He won't go along with idea that sin can be punished to the fourth generation as set forth in Ex 20:2. See John 9:1-4;
3. He rebuked His two disciples when they have misconstrued a mass killing in 2 Kings 1 as being an act of God. See Luke 9:52-56;
4. People in OT like Moses in Ex 33 claimed to have seen God and talked to Him. Jesus says about three times in John "no one has ever seen God," and that He had come to declare Him. John 1:18 being the first of the three;
5. In Matt 5, He gives the OT take on theology then corrects it with "But I say . . . (Something different from what OT says follows );
6. Numerous times He takes issue with the law of the Sabbath.
7. The OT (ie Deut 28) sets forth a performance-based relationship with God. Jesus told us of a God who is NOT PERFROMANCE-BASED but who is unconditional with His love and blessing. Matt 5:38-48; Luke 6:35;
8. He won't stay away from lepers as commanded in Leviticus but allows them to touch him and he touches and heals them.
9. The Old Testament paints a portrait of a God who is violently retaliatory but the New Testament portrays God as one who loves enemies, turns other cheek, absorbs the blows and overcomes evil with peace and love and a lamb-like approach, not wolf-like; a God who exercises a different kind of power than that used by OT portraits of God. The peace of God, not the violence of God, crushes evil in the NT. Rom 16:20; Rom 12:21. A God who dies to destroy and does not kill to destroy. Heb 2:14

I could go on with a thorough discussion of Jesus' corrections to OT. The main one is "Love your enemies" and "be kind to the evil and the good" concepts the OT has no mention or understanding of. Luke 6:35 and Matt 5:38-48

I don't think the OT is wrong. I think a superficial reading of it is wrong. Example: a superficial reading of Gen 22 and Gen 32 and 2 Kings 1 and Moses talking to "God" at Sinai would lead one to believe that God is committing an essentially evil act or, at least acting out of character from the Father Jesus describes but, in light of further revelation, closer reading or examination of other passages which shed light on the passage in question, we find that it was not God but an angel or an evil spirit.
AgLiving06
Bryanisbest said:

AgLiving06 said:

Bryanisbest said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Bryanisbest said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Quote:

Off the cuff several corrections to OT by Jesus come to mine:

1. He won't have the woman stoned as commanded by Old Testament;
2. He won't go with sin being punished to the fourth generation as set forth in Ex 20:2. See John 9:1-4;
3. He rebuked His two disciples when they have misconstrued a mass killing in 2 Kings 1 as being an act of God. See Luke 9:52-56;
4. People in OT like Moses in Ex 33 claimed to have seen God and talked to Him. Jesus says about three times in John "no one has ever seen God," and that He had come to declare Him. John 1:18 being the first of the three;
5. In Matt 5, He gives the OT take on theology then corrects it with "But I say . . . (Something different from what OT says follows );
7. The OT (ie Deut 28) sets forth a performance-based relationship with God. Jesus told us of a God who is NOT PERFROMANCE-BASED but who is unconditional with His love and blessing. Luke 6:35.

I could go on with a thorough discussion of Jesus' corrections to OT. The main one is "Love your enemies" and "be kind to the evil and the good" concepts the OT has no mention or understanding of. Luke 6:35 and Matt 5:38-48

I don't think the OT is wrong. I think a superficial reading of it is wrong. Example: a superficial reading of Gen 22 and Gen 32 and 2 Kings 1 and Moses talking to "God" at Sinai would lead one to believe that God is committing an essentially evil act or, at least acting out of character but, in light of further revelation or closer reading, we find that it was not God but an angel or an evil spirit.

Now you are comparing Apples and Oranges.

There is a significant difference between clarifying the Law of the OT vs saying what was written was wrong. Even you point out "but I say..." which certainly is Jesus further clarifying the Law (i.e. Jesus says lust is also adultery. He doesn't say it's not a sin anymore).

But you do open up another contradiction in your view point. Now your view of the Bible leads to inherent contradictions and incorrect information.

So if you know the OT is incorrect, what makes you think the NT is correct? Maybe Satan is tricking us in the NT into believing a view of Jesus that is completely wrong. It appears to be arbitrary.
Martin Q. Blank
Bryanisbest said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Bryanisbest said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Quote:

How do you know it was God commending Job in Job 42 and not Satan?
7thGenTexan
AG
AgLiving06 said:

Bryanisbest said:

AgLiving06 said:

Bryanisbest said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Bryanisbest said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Quote:

Off the cuff several corrections to OT by Jesus come to mine:

1. He won't have the woman stoned as commanded by Old Testament;
2. He won't go with sin being punished to the fourth generation as set forth in Ex 20:2. See John 9:1-4;
7. The OT (ie Deut 28) sets forth a performance-based relationship with God. Jesus told us of a God who is NOT PERFROMANCE-BASED but who is unconditional with His love and blessing. Luke 6:35.

I don't think the OT is wrong. I think a superficial reading of it is wrong. Example: a superficial reading of Gen 22 and Gen 32 and 2 Kings 1 and Moses talking to "God" at Sinai would lead one to believe that God is committing an essentially evil act or, at least acting out of character but, in light of further revelation or closer reading, we find that it was not God but an angel or an evil spirit.

Now you are comparing Apples and Oranges.

There is a significant difference between clarifying the Law of the OT vs saying what was written was wrong. Even you point out "but I say..." which certainly is Jesus further clarifying the Law (i.e. Jesus says lust is also adultery. He doesn't say it's not a sin anymore).

But you do open up another contradiction in your view point. Now your view of the Bible leads to inherent contradictions and incorrect information.

So if you know the OT is incorrect, what makes you think the NT is correct? Maybe Satan is tricking us in the NT into believing a view of Jesus that is completely wrong. It appears to be arbitrary.

1. The people who wanted to stone her weren't following the law. She was not accused with the male adulterer and she was not tried before the proper Jewish authorities - which couldn't be done at that time without the authorization of the Roman authorities. So they were actually sinning right then and there and the required punishment under the law for them would have been death.

2. He doesn't say that at all. You just made that up. He says:
9 Now as Jesus passed by, He saw a man who was blind from birth. 2 And His disciples asked Him, saying, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?" 3 Jesus answered, "Neither this man nor his parents sinned, but that the works of God should be revealed in him. 4 must work the works of Him who sent Me while it is day; the night is coming when no one can work. 5 As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world."

3. He doesn't say that at all. You just made that up. We've already been over this. It was not the time to call down fire then, but Jesus says nothing about it being a sin when Elijah did it.

4. Obviously there are different levels of seeing God. The people he was talking to were seeing God when they saw Jesus. Is a bush God? Steven mentions an Angel of the Lord appearing in the bush, but saw no contradiction as he says:
30 "And when forty years had passed, an Angel of the Lord[f] appeared to him in a flame of fire in a bush, in the wilderness of Mount Sinai. 31 When Moses saw it, he marveled at the sight; and as he drew near to observe, the voice of the Lord came to him, 32 saying, 'I am the God of your fathersthe God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.' And Moses trembled and dared not look. 33 'Then the Lord said to him, "Take your sandals off your feet, for the place where you stand is holy ground. 34 I have surely seen the oppression of My people who are in Egypt; I have heard their groaning and have come down to deliver them. And now come, I will send you to Egypt."'

5. In Matthew 5 he says that not one jot of the law would be removed! He is obviously expounding in the law and showing them the deeper meanings.

To be continued.
Bryanisbest
AG
Easy: Anything or anyone whose character does not line up with the character of Jesus Christ and the attributes of the person He describes as His Father in Heaven, "the only true God (John 17:3)", is not God and may be an imposter trying to pass himself off as God. Most of Christendom is deceived in this.
7thGenTexan
AG
Bryanisbest said:

Easy: Anything or anyone whose character does not line up with the character of Jesus Christ and the attributes of the person He describes as His Father in Heaven, "the only true God (John 17:3)", is not God and may be an imposter trying to pass himself off as God. Most of Christendom is deceived in this.

I see an imposter alright.
dermdoc
AG
So just curious, how many on this thread believe the majority of people who have lived or are living are going to Hell?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Bryanisbest
AG
7thGenTexan said:

Bryanisbest said:

Imposters are aware of who they are. The main imposter is Satan, "the god of this world", who has blinded the minds of many, especially religious people. 2 Cor 4:4-6.
dermdoc
AG
I mean we have this God full of wrath, correct? And I can not find anywhere where Jesus mentions the age of accountability which of course varies from Protestant denomination to another. So how do we know kids are okay until whatever this age is if God is full of wrath?
And where is the sinner's prayer in the Bible? And if not how do know where this Godly wrath will be directed?

If I read the Bible literally my interperation is that Jesus really disliked people who used their power gained in life to hurt other people. Whether religious power, financial power, etc. that seems to be the folks Christ directed his wrath to. I can not find anywhere where he pointed his wrath towards gays, adulterers, wine drinkers, etc.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dermdoc
AG
And Bryan, I love you but do not agree with your interpretations of some Scripture. If you do not mind, may I ask if to the best of your knowledge have you accepted Christ and received the Holy Spirit?

And if so, since this is not anything having to do with Salvation, I can disagree with you but can not condemn you or judge you.

And nobody else can either. Continue to read and study and be guided by the Spirit.

Peace
7thGenTexan
AG
Bryanisbest said:

7thGenTexan said:

Bryanisbest said:

Imposters are aware of who they are. The main imposter is Satan, "the god of this world", who has blinded the minds of many, especially religious people. 2 Cor 4:4-6.

According to your theology, Satan blinded Moses, Elijah, David, all the prophets of the OT, John the Baptist, Apostle Paul, Peter, John, and Jesus himself. Have you ever considered that maybe you have been blinded?
Bryanisbest
AG
7thGenTexan said:

Bryanisbest said:

7thGenTexan said:

Bryanisbest said:

According to your theology, Satan blinded Moses, Elijah, David, all the prophets of the OT, John the Baptist, Apostle Paul, Peter, John, and Jesus himself. Have you ever considered that maybe you have been blinded?

Yes, I sure have considered that. My views are different from 98 percent of Christians. I questioned whether it might just be me. I haven't decided that it is, however.
Bryanisbest
AG
dermdoc said:

And Bryan, I love you but do not agree with your interpretations of some Scripture. If you do not mind, may I ask if to the best of your knowledge have you accepted Christ and received the Holy Spirit?

And if so, since this is not anything having to do with Salvation, I can disagree with you but can not condemn you or judge you.

And nobody else can either. Continue to read and study and be guided by the Spirit.

Peace

Yes, I am a believer and have received the Spirit I believe. What mainly have I written that concerns you? I ask this in good faith as I know are too.

I decided about 18 years ago to just read the Bible as opposed to taking my understanding from what others say about it. I do read books and commentaries but, for the most part, form my own opinions. I did like the books by Greg Boyd that have been cited here very much, especially the doctrine he refers to as "Redemptive Withdrawal."

I have spent at least an average of 1 hour reading Bible everyday for past 20 years
Zobel
AG

Quote:

Philip ran up and heard him reading Isaiah the prophet, and said, "Do you understand what you are reading?" And he said, "Well, how could I, unless someone guides me?" And he invited Philip to come up and sit with him.

Quote:

Then beginning with Moses and with all the prophets, He explained to them the things concerning Himself in all the Scriptures... They said to one another, "Were not our hearts burning within us while He was speaking to us on the road, while He was explaining the Scriptures to us?"
Spiritual knowledge doesn't come from reading or knowing the scriptures.
Bryanisbest
AG
k2aggie07 said:

Quote:

Philip ran up and heard him reading Isaiah the prophet, and said, "Do you understand what you are reading?" And he said, "Well, how could I, unless someone guides me?" And he invited Philip to come up and sit with him.

Quote:

Then beginning with Moses and with all the prophets, He explained to them the things concerning Himself in all the Scriptures... They said to one another, "Were not our hearts burning within us while He was speaking to us on the road, while He was explaining the Scriptures to us?"
Spiritual knowledge doesn't come from reading or knowing the scriptures.

Well, not altogether, right. But it contributes a lot to spiritual understanding and knowledge. The message of the cross in the Bible is the key to all spiritual knowledge.
Zobel
AG
There should be caution here. This post is not a criticism of your practice of reading the scripture. It is a commentary on the common thought process that learning or knowledge of the scripture is the source of understanding them. This is not so.

St Maximos teaches us that
Quote:

Without natural contemplation no one can appreciate the disparity between the symbols through which the Law is expressed and the divine realities which these symbols represent....So long as he cleaves to the letter, his inner hunger for spiritual knowledge will not be satisfied; for he has condemned himself like the wily serpent to feed on the earth -- that is, on the outward or literal form -- of Scripture (cf. Genesis 3:14), and does not, as a true disciple of Christ, feed on heaven -- that is, on the spirit and soul of Scripture, in other words, on celestial and angelic bread. I mean that he does not feed through Christ on the spiritual contemplation and knowledge of the Scriptures, which God gives unstintingly to those who love Him, in accordance with the text: 'He gave them the bread of heaven; man ate the bread of angels' (Psalm 78:24-25, LXX).
He explains how this comes:
Quote:

A man whose intellect has been formed by the knowledge that comes by dint of the virtues through the divine Spirit is said to experience divine things; for he has acquired such knowledge not by nature, thanks simply to his existence, but by grace, thanks to his participation in it. When a man has not received knowledge by grace, even though he calls a particular thing spiritual, he does not know its true character from experience. For mere learning does not produce a state of spiritual knowledge.

An intellect totally purified by the virtues is automatically initiated into their inner principles, and comes to express in its own character the spiritual knowledge which is divinely stamped with their impress. For in itself every intellect is formless and without any specific quality of expression: its form is acquired, being either that of knowledge which arises from the virtues through the Spirit, or that of ignorance, which supervenes through the passions.
He also teaches us:

Quote:

Just as ignorance divides those who are deluded, so the presence of spiritual light draws together and unites those whom it enlightens. It makes them perfect and brings them back to what really exists; converting them from a multiplicity of opinions it unites their varied points of view -- or, more accurately, their fantasies -- into one simple, true and pure spiritual knowledge, and fills them with a single, unifying light.
So as with all things, those who have become spiritually enlightened should be in unity with each other, because "our God is not a God of disorder but of peace".

A bishop once told me:

Quote:

We should all remember a very poignant statement by St. Paul to the Galatians, when he confesses that he did not come to Jesus Christ by teaching or from human influence, but through revelation, since the Gospel is not of human origin. Scripture is a part of our attainment of mystical vision that lies beyond mere knowledge, mere order.

Holy Scripture is not the Glory of God, but it conveys to us infallibly and internally, through a new language and the "mind of Christ" (which is the mind of the Fathers, as well), an inner message. The attempt at literalism has led to today's losing the "mind of Christ" and the revelation of God in the heart. It is an attempt to make intellectual, logical, and reasonable the "foolishness" of the spiritual content of Christianity, which Scripture reveals to us, but which is found only in what lies beyond words and human understanding.
Being apart from 98% of Christians in and of itself does not mean you are wrong. But without the consensus of the Fathers and the safety of Holy Tradition we run the risk of separating ourselves from "the faith which was once for all handed down to the saints" in favor of personal beliefs, which may be only our own fantasies.
dermdoc
AG
I agree with k2's wise advise.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.