Trouble in the House of Mouse?

20,758 Views | 272 Replies | Last: 22 days ago by maroon barchetta
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Poor Disney.

https://babylonbee.com/news/toddler-rates-disney-world-a-close-second-to-trip-through-car-wash?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR3mwOnE1_BRLA4A3cxf193yPKmtU1MsVlCFnOMXbnHnPC1gY60dJe9JqHA_aem_ASW97TtZDjM-A04rIov2v3K_1lr2to2o7zY8bDWamT08IJu5UHEzZv7A20anKD8k1yZYApncSH9AbIwoO3zt0lUI
EclipseAg
AG
If you look at Disney's decisions over the past few years, you can come up with multiple examples of how they have lost sight of the core consumer.

The elimination of Magical Express, for example -- the bus service that transported guests from the Orlando airport to their resort.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Genie+ has been a failure as well.
EclipseAg
AG
jokershady said:

It came out early this morning that Nelson Peltz sold his entire Disney stock for a profit of 1 billion.

Interesting. That tends to take sting out of losing the proxy fight. LOL

In reading up on this, I learned that Peltz's daughter is married to David Beckham's son. I bet they have a fascinating pre-nup.
EclipseAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Right ... perfect example. A moneymaker for the company but a mess for consumers.
El Gallo Blanco
Meh, nvmd.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
EclipseAg said:

If you look at Disney's decisions over the past few years, you can come up with multiple examples of how they have lost sight of the core consumer.

The elimination of Magical Express, for example -- the bus service that transported guests from the Orlando airport to their resort.

The Magical Express decision is a real head-scratcher.
#FJB
The Porkchop Express
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

EclipseAg said:

Other than the possibiilty that their profit margins had been eaten away by Uber and Lyft, this is definitely a confusing thing.

With the overall park experience really pricey if you want to maximize your time, offering people a free way to and from the airport that allows them to completely eliminate the cost of a rent a car was a godsend. We used it our first time there, and wound up driving a few times after that to save money on airfare and the rental.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
double aught
AG
Loved the magical express! Dropped our bags off at the counter at DFW and didn't see them again until we walked until the hotel room. When you're the pack mule for a wife and two daughters, that truly is magical. I was really disappointed that it had been eliminated when we went last year.

Genie+ is expensive with a steep learning curve. Bad idea for consumers in general, but it worked great for us because I was willing to spend the money and learn how to use it optimally. A lot of other park goers aren't willing to do those two things. We spent less time deciding what to do and waiting in lines and more time on rides, meeting characters, and eating where we wanted.
jokershady
AG
EclipseAg said:

jokershady said:

It came out early this morning that Nelson Peltz sold his entire Disney stock for a profit of 1 billion.

Interesting. That tends to take sting out of losing the proxy fight. LOL

In reading up on this, I learned that Peltz's daughter is married to David Beckham's son. I bet they have a fascinating pre-nup.
actually it's probably super simple.

yours is yours....mines is mines.....

cool? cool.
jokershady
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

EclipseAg said:

Other than the possibiilty that their profit margins had been eaten away by Uber and Lyft, this is definitely a confusing thing.

With the overall park experience really pricey if you want to maximize your time, offering people a free way to and from the airport that allows them to completely eliminate the cost of a rent a car was a godsend. We used it our first time there, and wound up driving a few times after that to save money on airfare and the rental.
THIS! We've been to disney world twice now as a family (never been to disney land).

first time we went in 2017 they had the magical express and it was awesome! flew in....never had to look for our bags just hopped on the bus and went to our resort....piece of cake.

when we went again this past summer in 2023 we elected to drive because it was a lot cheaper than flying (family of 5) and plus since wed have to secure our own way of getting to our resort anyway we just didn't want to deal with any of that....

and after doing the math i was shocked at how much cheaper it was to drive as a family of 5...even including an overnight stay in a hotel in talahassee...than flying
The Porkchop Express
jokershady said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

EclipseAg said:

THIS! We've been to disney world twice now as a family (never been to disney land).

first time we went in 2017 they had the magical express and it was awesome! flew in....never had to look for our bags just hopped on the bus and went to our resort....piece of cake.

when we went again this past summer in 2023 we elected to drive because it was a lot cheaper than flying (family of 5) and plus since wed have to secure our own way of getting to our resort anyway we just didn't want to deal with any of that....

and after doing the math i was shocked at how much cheaper it was to drive as a family of 5...even including an overnight stay in a hotel in talahassee...than flying
We flew in 2017 - my kids were young and their grandparents helped pay as a birthday present - took the magical express. They cancelled it soon after that.

We drove all the times we went 2018-2020, including being there when COVID shut the park down. Driving 1,000 miles each way made me a cranky a-hole for the first day of the trip each time, but the $$$ saved was pretty epic.

Went back to flying in '21 and have done so ever since. Rented a car the first couple of times, but going to try the uber to the hotel and then just use the bus/skyliner/monorail this next time.

I could ride the skyliner all day and be happy just doing that.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
EclipseAg
AG

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

EclipseAg said:

One of the reasons Disney gave for cancelling Magical Express was that consumers "had other choices" with ride share companies.

But while Uber may work great for a single guest or someone traveling with a partner, it's not so good for a family of four with luggage and a stroller or car seat.

Plus, it eliminated a "magical experience" for everyone, which is the antithesis of Disney's brand. Two years later, people still complain that they miss Magical Express.
20ag07
Quote:

To be clear, nowhere does it say that he PROFITED $1B.

It says he sold a stake worth $1B.

Peltz was buying his shares in 2022. And he had way less that Ike Perlmutter(Marvel) who was part of their 32M owned shares, and is not said to have sold.

So I'm not buying that he walked away with more than a $300M profit if he was scooping shares up at the lowest of the lows in 2022.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Rule #1 on Peltz' daughter. Had no it was the girl from Bates Motel.

Urban Ag
AG
EclipseAg said:

This.

Our kids are too old now (thank God) but we took them to Disney World at least six times from June of 2011 to Christmas 2022.

The Magical Express takes longer than getting an Uber and the many stops are kind of a pain. But getting on it and that ride is the peak of the anticipation build up for kiddos. Parents get 20-30 minutes or more to take a load off in an air conditioned bus while the kids can't wipe the smiles off their faces knowing they're finally there. Getting rid of that service shows too many at Disney were just out of touch with their customers.

After a flight with kids (which can be hell), deplaning with kids, bathroom breaks, baggage claim, etc, I looked forward to that bus.
double aught
AG
Quote:

Our kids are too old now (thank God)
And here I am trying to find a pause button on my kids growing up.
Urban Ag
AG
double aught said:

Quote:

And you won't find it. Our oldest graduated from HS last Friday. Thankfully he is only going two hours away to A&M.

You can't pause it. You can't even slow it down. All you can do is adapt.
bluefire579
AG
EclipseAg said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

EclipseAg said:

One of the reasons Disney gave for cancelling Magical Express was that consumers "had other choices" with ride share companies.

But while Uber may work great for a single guest or someone traveling with a partner, it's not so good for a family of four with luggage and a stroller or car seat.

Plus, it eliminated a "magical experience" for everyone, which is the antithesis of Disney's brand. Two years later, people still complain that they miss Magical Express.

I mean, you just have to go back and read a few quotes from the man himself about his vision for Disneyland/World, and see that whoever made this decision completely missed the whole ****ing point. Like you said, the experience is the whole point, and those "other choices" do not fit into that.
Urban Ag
AG
Exactly. Cramming in an Uber with sweat running down your crack with a dude that barely speaks English, with two expired kids and a wife that needs a bottle of Cab and a nap, is not really an "option" when compared to the big, comfy, happy, Disney bus we used to love.
jokershady
AG
20ag07 said:

Quote:

To be clear, nowhere does it say that he PROFITED $1B.

It says he sold a stake worth $1B.

Peltz was buying his shares in 2022. And he had way less that Ike Perlmutter(Marvel) who was part of their 32M owned shares, and is not said to have sold.

So I'm not buying that he walked away with more than a $300M profit if he was scooping shares up at the lowest of the lows in 2022.
heres an article stating he earned 1 billion:
https://variety.com/2024/biz/news/nelson-peltz-sells-all-disney-stock-proxy-fight-1236019099/amp/

Here's an article stating the value of the shares he owned were 3.5 billion at the time he sold them:
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/29/business/nelson-peltz-disney-shares.html

Here's an article stating both those numbers from the above articles….
https://deadline.com/2024/05/disney-proxy-fight-nelson-peltz-sells-stock-profit-bob-iger-1235944326/amp/

What are you reading that says different? On top of that there's articles from e-trade stating this very same thing…
The Porkchop Express
double aught said:

Quote:

I'll be taking my kids to Disney until I'm dead and loving every second of it.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I've already told our oldest that his recently born son will be going to Disney in about 5 years. I've also told my wife that I'm treating myself to a Disney trip for my 60th birthday. After those trips, we'll probably be done. My youngest will just have to get there herself if she's interested in going (took her 3 times over the last decade).
#FJB
20ag07
https://deadline.com/2024/03/disney-marvel-ike-perlmutter-bob-iger-proxy-fight-trian-1235857282/amp
Quote:

Trian said. "We do not oppose Mr. Iger's reelection nor his continued service as CEO. Mr. Perlmutter is not on the ballot, is not seeking a Board seat and will not influence the fiduciary responsibilities of our candidates. He owns more than $2.5 billion of Disney stock; he, like all shareholders, wants Disney to improve and create value. The relationship between Mr. Iger and Mr. Perlmutter is irrelevant."

https://trianpartners.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/Trian-Comment-on-Disney-Annual-Meeting-4.3.24.pdf

Quote:

The Trian Group,1 which beneficially owns over $3.5 billion of common stock in The
Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS)

Of the $3.5B Peltz had, $2.5B belonged to Perlmutter, who got that as part of the Marvel deal. Peltz did not pocket $1B on his $1B stake, and you could easily deduce that if you looked at a ticker.

But most reporters aren't savvy enough to do that math, they just rely on "something they got from an undisclosed source".
EclipseAg
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

I've already told our oldest that his recently born son will be going to Disney in about 5 years. I've also told my wife that I'm treating myself to a Disney trip for my 60th birthday. After those trips, we'll probably be done. My youngest will just have to get there herself if she's interested in going (took her 3 times over the last decade).
Heck, I'm so old I have two kids who have worked at Disney World.

My last trip was in October 2021. Great time. Disney is infinitely better with kids when they are grown up, especially when they do all the work with dining reservations and Genie+ (and have their own money). Epcot Food and Wine was a blast and Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party was worth the expense.

I've been a Disney shareholder since 1992. There are probably posters here younger than my shares.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Congrats on 10x your investment.
The Porkchop Express
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

My really random circumstances, I have been to DW during its 10th, 25th and 50th anniversaries. I'll be 72 on the 75th anniversary. Can I make it to 97 in 2071 for the 100th?
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
superaggie73
AG

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

My really random circumstances, I have been to DW during its 10th, 25th and 50th anniversaries. I'll be 72 on the 75th anniversary. Can I make it to 97 in 2071 for the 100th?

Or die tryin'
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

We might have both been there at the same time for the 25th and 50th.
The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

We might have both been there at the same time for the 25th and 50th.
Yeah it was tough avoiding you, but we pulled it off.

That came off a little mean: Some day, Spilner and I need to do Smuggler's Run together. I'm sick of flying it with children who can't shoot and a woman who yells "WHICH ONE IS UP?"
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Urban Ag
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

My parents did Universal with all the grandkids in 2018 at 74. Dad still went on the rides. Even the big ones.

You got this old man.
dude95
AG
Every Marvel movie from Iron Man 3 was produced under Disney (the Avengers was the first they distributed also).

I loved nearly everyone of them. After End Game, barely had any interest. The change was about quality as the number one driver.

I loved the first season of the Mandalorian, but just about every star wars tv show since hasn't been great. Correction - Andor was magnificent.

We lived about 30 minutes from Disneyland when my kids were growing up. We were able to get season passes each year for about $250 a person I think for 8 years. The last year I got it, they raised prices to about double and so we only got them for my youngest who wasn't in school and my wife. They would go while I was at work and the other two were in school. Point being that costs there have risen so fast it's much more of a decision for families to go to the park.

Streaming - Disney went with the model of stream what we own. Great idea when they just got the star wars property and Marvel was at it's peak. Now I'd drop in a second if I didn't have a bundle with Hulu - no one ever watches it in our family.

There are tons of reasons Disney is having a downturn. The political side gets more clicks, but 90% of the people complaining about that would still see a Disney movie if it was an absolute must see.

I was actually at Warner Bros in the early 2000 - Batman and Harry Potter drove everything, but other than that it seemed they couldn't catch a break. Max is now the app I couldn't do without (ok - it's mainly HBO). It's cycles. Some of it's bad leadership, some is dumb luck, some is shifting markets that have nothing to do with the company.
dreyOO
EclipseAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Right ... perfect example. A moneymaker for the company but a mess for consumers.

And I'm no expert in their space, but I have helped many a large company with strategy in general. It's clear ( from the cheap seats) that Disney has some weird dissonant issues with their overall strategy. Maybe they're attempting to cover to many lanes with the wrong captains in charge. I don't know. But they're far from a well-directed company right now.

That genie pass comment just triggered me from a few years ago. It really isn't that hard, and yet they really flubbed the delivery of that tool.
dreyOO
bluefire579 said:

EclipseAg said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

EclipseAg said:

I mean, you just have to go back and read a few quotes from the man himself about his vision for Disneyland/World, and see that whoever made this decision completely missed the whole ****ing point. Like you said, the experience is the whole point, and those "other choices" do not fit into that.

The original point was that Disney was "capturing" the customer. It was total genius. Whoever sold them on the change made a narrow business case based on something myopic. Overall the customer experience was damaged and I'd bet they lost out on overall consumption and loyalty buys. Just dumb and short sighted
GrayMatter
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Wasn't the Genie+ a brain child of the last CEO?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.