***Napoleon*** (Ridley Scott, Joaquin Phoenix)

23,281 Views | 241 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by PatAg
Craig Corleone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
hunter2012 said:

Is this a movie or miniseries? Because there will be no coherent way to tell Napoleon's story from revolution to exile in even a 6 hour movie.
and in my opinion, it failed for that very reason. too many storylines were not developed enough. i have heard a 4 hour version is coming on dvd, maybe that will help.
Carlo4
AG
Epic History TV on YouTube has 29 videos on Napoleon and they are incredibly well done. Troop movements, names, history of events. This alone feels like it left out stuff and is hours of content for people like us.

hunter2012
AG
Craig Corleone said:

hunter2012 said:

Is this a movie or miniseries? Because there will be no coherent way to tell Napoleon's story from revolution to exile in even a 6 hour movie.
and in my opinion, it failed for that very reason. too many storylines were not developed enough. i have heard a 4 hour version is coming on dvd, maybe that will help.
I saw it a few days ago and it's what I expected. The battles were cool(though not historically accurate), but the pacing and the time jumps do not help the story. They should have either told the story of his romance and the court intrigue, or shown his war exploits and show why he was the most successful general to ever live.
AlaskanAg99
AG
So I want to see this, but not another Killer Moon turd.

Overall, is this worth the $100 at the theater? Or wait for streaming with a decent screen and great sound?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I mean definitely not worth $100.

Worth a $12 movie ticket? Yes.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I mean definitely not worth $100.

Worth a $12 movie ticket? Yes.

For 2, fancy theater with drinks and apps
...easy hundy.

But I only go to the theater now for sound. Decent home 5.1 system, can make it rock without distortion. But action and big budget I'll go to the theater for the extra sound. Normandy "Saving Private Ryan" level effects.
TCTTS
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

Overall, is this worth the $100 at the theater? Or wait for streaming with a decent screen and great sound?

At this point I would just wait for the four-hour cut on Apple TV+ and knock it out over a couple nights.
AlaskanAg99
AG
TCTTS said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

At this point I would just wait for the four-hour cut on Apple TV+ and knock it out over couple nights.

Given you're such a fluffer for everything theater, I'll actually take this advice. Reviews are so mixed.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I mean it's pretty easy to not spend $100 between two people. Just don't eat at the theater...
AlaskanAg99
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I mean it's pretty easy to not spend $100 between two people. Just don't eat at the theater...

We go so rarely It's an event. Mid 40s here. That's why it has to be worth it. Today's home theaters are so good the theater has to be something extra. We have a 65" on the wall in a '78 home. It's not a custom built room for movies.

She now wants an 80". I'm all in for and sound is above par. But it's not theater level, room isn't built for it.
G Martin 87
AG
Just got back from a screening this evening, with an introduction and post Q&A by Alexander Mikaberidze. It's terrible as a love story, terrible as a film about Napoleon, and terrible as a historical epic. So many inaccuracies that were unnecessary. Yes, the spectacle of Austerlitz was entertaining, but like the depiction of the Battle of Stirling in Braveheart, completely fictional. Mel Gibson can be forgiven for this due to the obscurity and lack of source material about William Wallace. There's just no excuse for Ridley Scott to get so much wrong. Napoleon's life and military success are extremely well documented and fascinating. Disappointing on so many levels.
LMCane
Craig Corleone said:

hunter2012 said:

they should have made this a 10 hour miniseries on streaming

I was disappointed both in the battle scenes and the overall portrayal

WATERLOO was a much better war movie

and I have read alot about the Emperor and this movie literally told us nothing about how he became one of the greatest conquerors in history.
MaroonStain
AG
Watching on Apple now. Aggie baseball is on pay app.
MaroonStain
AG
He would have been greater if he was not such of twunt over Josephine. Joaquine's voice over is already annoying.
BurnetAggie99
MaroonStain said:

Watching on Apple now. Aggie baseball is on pay app.

Bat Flip Media on YouTube has the FLO games free
MaroonStain
AG
MaroonStain said:

He would have been greater if he was not such of twunt over Josephine. Joaquine's voice over is already annoying.

The most perfect Josephine ever portrayed.
Max Power
AG
Just got done watching on Apple TV and I don't know what the point of making this film was. This movie is just about the best example I can think of where an actor thinks he's in a different movie than everyone else. Many times I asked myself wtf is going on here? I kind of hated it and won't ever watch it again. It's such a bizarre film.
aTmAg
AG
I thought this movie was pretty bad. Especially after I learned it was very loose with the facts.

It seems the only way to do Napoleon justice is with a miniseries. And don't focus on his love interest for God's sake. That's not what made him great. Focus on the things that make him stand out from everybody else.
StinkyPinky
AG
Haven't looked at the money for this movie, but get a sense its a flop. Hear no one talking about it, especially with all of the discussion around the latest string of great movies. Probably not what Phoenix expected.
Eliminatus
AG
StinkyPinky said:

Haven't looked at the money for this movie, but get a sense its a flop. Hear no one talking about it, especially with all of the discussion around the latest string of great movies. Probably not what Phoenix expected.

There's no way this wasn't a flop. It was awful and the only real positive things I've seen are the pre release tweets from pundits who use the same cringe verbiage to describe hundreds of movies. Swear some of these are probably bots.

It was a badly written and badly acted and badly produced film. The Napoleonic era is one of my favorites and I borderline offended at how inaccurate and "Hollywood-fied" this was.
chick79
AG
Just saw free on Apple TV. Glad I didn't waste money at the theatre.
cs09
AG
Just watched on Apple TV. Wife was out of town, so I planned on putting the kiddo to bed and then kicking back with a glass of whiskey and watching a historical film that my wife wouldn't be interested in. I got half way through and had to turn it off and switch to Full Swing season 2.

So disappointing. I found myself constantly asking, what the hell is going on with a look of disgust on my face. The battle scenes were well done, but very few and far between. They made Napoleon such a weird little puss. I was interested in seeing how he rose to power, why he was beloved by his men, and how he conquered Europe, but those subjects were only scratched on the surface.
LMCane
TCTTS said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

At this point I would just wait for the four-hour cut on Apple TV+ and knock it out over a couple nights.
is this out now?

I don't have Apple but figure I will get it when this comes out and then watch Masters of the Air as well
TCTTS
AG
Not yet and still no announcement as to when.
EclipseAg
AG
I watched it last night, as well. Had no expectations given the comments here on TexAgs.

The main thing that bothered me was Joaquin Phoenix's voice. It didn't fit at the best of times, and at the worst, he sounded like a surfer dude in the middle of all these English and French accents. It was a constant irritation.

Agree it would have been much better to aim for an 8-episode series that could delve deeper into his political and military careers.
LMCane
agree with you on all aspects

why make up an entire battle of Austerlitz- when there was an ACTUAL battle of Austerlitz?
LMCane
EclipseAg said:

I watched it last night, as well. Had no expectations given the comments here on TexAgs.

The main thing that bothered me was Joaquin Phoenix's voice. It didn't fit at the best of times, and at the worst, he sounded like a surfer dude in the middle of all these English and French accents. It was a constant irritation.

Agree it would have been much better to aim for an 8-episode series that could delve deeper into his political and military careers.

I can understand why the French are constantly p!ssed off-

in every Hollywood movie seemingly only British actors can play French, Russians, Nazis...

it's been this way in war movies since the 1940s.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Is this just his thing now? Talking ****, which he eventually has to walk back?
Sazerac
AG
So terrible. Couldn't finish.
The Porkchop Express
TCTTS said:

WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
PatAg
AG
He was right about the movie though.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.