***Napoleon*** (Ridley Scott, Joaquin Phoenix)

23,272 Views | 241 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by PatAg
Lt. Joe Bookman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
New trailer just dropped. Looks really good, though I don't know if I really picture Joaquin as a good Napoleon. Looks like they may touch on his and Josephine's weird relationship, which would be interesting.

double aught
AG
Does Uncle Rico win state in this one?
Teacher_Ag
AG
Copied and pasted my reaction to the trailer on the trailers thread:

I had the same thought about the weird Radiohead cover. Some of the shots did look stunning, hoping this is good. I'm worried too much of the story will focus on his failed romance. Phoenix is obviously a great actor but part of me wishes they'd picked a younger French actor to deliver the lines in French. Phoenix looks too old and bedraggled to play prime years Napoleon.
An L of an Ag
AG
Should have cast Jack Black as Napoleon!
Another Doug
AG
Looks good to me. I think Ridley Scott can make this one entertaining.
cbr
AG
should be really good.

napoleon is a weird one for me... for some reason i have a mental block on really retaining the details of his history.

obviously, russia, waterloo, exile, etc., but it's just weird to me. also weird that the french almost conquered the world.

Garrelli 5000
AG
Hopefully thye movie covers his annihilation of the Ziggy Piggy.
Take the trash out staff.
hunter2012
AG
Is this a movie or miniseries? Because there will be no coherent way to tell Napoleon's story from revolution to exile in even a 6 hour movie.
PatAg
AG
hunter2012 said:

Is this a movie or miniseries? Because there will be no coherent way to tell Napoleon's story from revolution to exile in even a 6 hour movie.
I would guess this movie ends up around the 3 hour mark, and like you said, probably going to have to cut some details.
This does make me want to see the Sharpe's Rifles book series get another TV show rendition, think the BBC did one in the early 90s
wangus12
AG
The premise I saw

Quote:

The film depicts Napoleon's rise to power through the lens of his addictive and volatile relationship with Empress Josephine.

wangus12
AG
Sean Bean played Sharpe

Mayor West
AG
Only good Napoleon in film history:

Cliff.Booth
I trust RS to deliver on this one.
G Martin 87
AG
cbr said:

should be really good.

napoleon is a weird one for me... for some reason i have a mental block on really retaining the details of his history.

obviously, russia, waterloo, exile, etc., but it's just weird to me. also weird that the french almost conquered the world.

If you're interested and have a lot of reading time, Alexander Mikaberidze's The Napoleonic Wars is outstanding. Alex is one of the world's leading experts on Napoleon, a Fellow of the Royal Historical Society, and an International Napoleonic Society Legion of Merit medalist. Can't wait to hear what he thinks of this movie.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Would love a Dan Carlin episode(s) on Napoleon.
hunter2012
AG
Chipotlemonger
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

You and me both. Did you drop star(s) recently? Always thought you had some. Is it because of the recent BS from the mods in the baseball forum?
p_bubel
I'm cautiously optimistic about this one.

The trailer looks epic at least.
Vince Blake
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

I'm in the middle of Mike Duncan's (of History of Rome fame) Revolutions podcast season that is dedicated to the French Revolution. Not sure how far he will get into Napoleon, but the episodes have been great.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
If anyone is looking for some good Napoleon content before the movie, I've been listening to the Age of Napoleon podcast and would recommend it.

https://open.spotify.com/show/6xbzk3HMnP0pRohjm6hBvz?si=YFl6exhJSmi0SwuySlagHw

It covers Napoleon's life with just the right level of context and detail.
BenFiasco14
AG
Aggie_Journalist said:

If anyone is looking for some good Napoleon content before the movie, I've been listening to the Age of Napoleon podcast and would recommend it.

https://open.spotify.com/show/6xbzk3HMnP0pRohjm6hBvz?si=YFl6exhJSmi0SwuySlagHw

It covers Napoleon's life with just the right level of context and detail.

another good one is the 6 parter on "Real Dictators" about Napoleon. It was truly fascinating:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/46qwq0Bo8NThkbFQdAOexP?si=XpyiW16NQ72n7Bn_z9KD9g

Part 1 linked above
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Belton Ag
AG
cbr said:

should be really good.

Not too weird that France almost conquered the world. I'd say that from the point of the Battle of Tours in 732 until the Battle of Verdun in 1916, France (the Frankish kingdom and then after the Hundred Years war united under a French king) was probably the preeminent world power. There are ebbs and flows, of course, of any empire but theirs seemed to always be at the forefront.
heddleston
AG
Yep, we just cannot comprehend the depth and breadth to which WWI absolutely broke a country and its culture.
Mayor West
AG
They could go meta and address the time he was kidnapped and brought to the future and how that impacted his decision making
Belton Ag
AG
Yes, that war completely broke them. I thought I had read somewhere that as much as 30% of French males born between 1890 and 1900 were not alive in 1920.

France was a waning power, though, by 1914, and the Franco-Prussian war was a major red flag. WWI basically was the nail in the coffin.
cr06gis
AG
This looks awesome.

I've run out of long war epics to watch
EclipseAg
AG
Looks pretty good.

Phoenix might be a little old to play a young Napoleon, but he'll probably be awesome and make viewers forget his age.
Claude!
Belton Ag said:

Yes, that war completely broke them. I thought I had read somewhere that as much as 30% of French males born between 1890 and 1900 were not alive in 1920.

France was a waning power, though, by 1914, and the Franco-Prussian war was a major red flag. WWI basically was the nail in the coffin.
To a certain extent, I would say that WWII was the nail in the coffin for all of the European powers as individual powers, save the Soviet Union (at least until it dissolved).
Varmintcong50
I will watch this. I will probably like it. But I feel like that trailer could have been straight out of Entourage.
Buck Turgidson
Is this going to be historically accurate, or are we going to be force fed a bunch of fake diversity and LGBT content?

If they can keep the woke bull**** out if the film, it looks like it could be really good.
TCTTS
Madmarttigan
AG
Buck Turgidson said:

Is this going to be historically accurate, or are we going to be force fed a bunch of fake diversity and LGBT content?

If they can keep the woke bull**** out if the film, it looks like it could be really good.

Sigh* not anything remotely hinted at in the trailer that this is happening and you just had to go there.

I love the crowd that the other thread is attracting.
Formerly tv1113
MGS
An L of an Ag said:

Should have cast Jack Black as Napoleon!
Should have been Jon Heder.
EclipseAg
AG
Varmintcong50 said:

I will watch this. I will probably like it. But I feel like that trailer could have been straight out of Entourage.
* deep announcer voice*

"Vincent Chase is .... Napoleon."
TCTTS
AG
While this *looks* incredible, and I'll be there opening weekend, I have to say I find it a little distracting whenever they do the whole actors-speak-in-their-own-accents thing in a period piece set in a specific country. Phoenix's American accent is particularly an odd choice. It won't make or break the movie for me at all, but I've never understand why everyone speaking with a French accent - or in the case of Chernobyl, a Russian accent - is so looked down on.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.