*** GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3 *** (Spoilers)

16,476 Views | 159 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by YouBet
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
tremble
AG
Get chills watching this. Just an amazing opening.
WoMD
tremble said:

Get chills watching this. Just an amazing opening.

Absolutely. Something about just the first seconds with the transition from young to adult rocket sets the tone of the entire movie perfectly. And instantly it's clear this movie will elicit a more emotional range than the previous installments.

Yes, this movie has flaws, and some of them probably won't be bothersome for me until repeat viewings, but I absolutely adored this movie. From start to finish, the more serious and almost melancholy tone was unexpected, and hit me pretty hard at certain moments. It's rare to be emotionally impacted by scenes for me, but somehow the rocket origin story scenes really got to me. Maybe it's because of things I'm dealing with in real life, but I was glad I was in a dark theater so my sister wouldn't see me tearing up at times (drinking from my soda helped cover it up too, heh). For that reason alone, I think this movie will have less rewatchability at my house. While the others felt more carefree and fun, the sadness and serious nature this movie centered around will be harder to watch on repeat viewings. And because of that, I can absolutely see why some put this movie below the others. But it's that very reason that i appreciate what this installment has accomplished. While it didn't feel like part of the series because of this, I loved it nonetheless.

Again, it's not perfect, and is below the first for me, as that's one of my favorite marvel movies. But for what it is, and what it strove to accomplish, this is up towards the top for me. And maybe it's because the darker tone is so un-marvel from start to finish that it stands out so uniquely in that universe, for better or for worse. If seen from that perspective, it seems weird, but the serious and melancholy tone is why I enjoyed it so much. Whether it creates sadness or happiness, or a continuous mixture of both (as this did), to me any movie that can (intentionally) create emotional responses makes it a successful cinematic creation. But it's because of that that it might not be as well received across the board as the other installments. To me, this was a bittersweet and satisfying end to my favorite part of the marvel universe. The other story lines marvel has put out has had clunkers, but IMO the three gotg movies are strong and enjoyable from start to finish, and unmatched because of that. Others will disagree, because this movie won't impact everyone the same way, but this is just one man's take, and I left the theater happy and content.
maroon barchetta
I love that acoustic version of Creep.
tremble
AG
Agreed. I haven't really felt emotional in a Marvel since Cap signed off at the end of Endgame (maybe No Way Home with the 3 Spideys too?)

It wasn't even like they were pulling on long established relationships either for some of the emotional beats, but it all largely just worked.
TexasAggie_02
AG
BMX Bandit
Great movie!

Several LOL moments
wangus12
AG
Finally got to see this after a very crazy May. I really enjoyed it, even if the animal experimentation got to be a bit much.

Really enjoyed the whole arc for the Guardians. I'd probably rank 1>3>2. I thought the comedy and heart in this movie was far better than 2.

Very curious to what their plan if for Star Lord to return.

As for Marvel, they really need a big crossover film. Show some sort of plan. There is still no real coherent major plot to tie everything in for people to piece together and I think that's why they are losing so much steam. Coupled with some lower quality movies and they're losing viewers.
TyHolden
AG
I am Stanford...
Apache
AG
Quote:

There is still no real coherent major plot to tie everything in for people to piece together and I think that's why they are losing so much steam.
Kind of shocking how bad they bungled Phase 4. Should have just gone with Kang as the "big bad" and ran with it. Instead we get a confusing mix of things that sort of tie together, an origin story no one wanted to see, yet another horrible Thor movie, random Eternals, etc. Not to mention all the television shows... it's just watered down overexposed garbage.

I'm almost at the point where I say "I'M DONE WITH THIS CRAP" like I did with the Star Wars franchise & secretly hope that Marvel comes back with an Andor-esque revival movie/show.
rhutton125
AG
I get that they wanted to avoid "here's the next big threat!!" right after Thanos, but also… nearly every movie has to go and save the whole planet/universe. So they still do it half the time even if they set out to not do it.

Actually let's test that theory:
Not world-ending stakes: WandaVision, Falcon & WS, Loki, Hawkeye, She-Hulk, Doctor Strange 2, Spider-Man NWH, Black Panther 2, GotG3

World-ending stakes: Loki (multiversal war), Black Widow (world domination), Shang-Chi, Eternals, Ms. Marvel, Thor 4 (kinda, all the gods), Ant-Man Quantumania (the Quantum Realm)

Maybe not as bad as I thought. The movies tend to go "big stakes" and I think it's a bit detrimental (especially for something like Shang-Chi). The shows are smaller, but going world-ending was the worst parts of Ms Marvel and Moon Knight IMO.
wangus12
AG
Apache said:

Quote:

There is still no real coherent major plot to tie everything in for people to piece together and I think that's why they are losing so much steam.
Kind of shocking how bad they bungled Phase 4. Should have just gone with Kang as the "big bad" and ran with it. Instead we get a confusing mix of things that sort of tie together, an origin story no one wanted to see, yet another horrible Thor movie, random Eternals, etc. Not to mention all the television shows... it's just watered down overexposed garbage.

I'm almost at the point where I say "I'M DONE WITH THIS CRAP" like I did with the Star Wars franchise & secretly hope that Marvel comes back with an Andor-esque revival movie/show.

Its really my biggest complaint. Iron Man set the tone with one scene at the end of the film that mentioned the Avenger Initiative. Phase 1 & 2 each had 6 films. They both included an Avenger movie that brought everything together and built the team relationships. By phase 3, there was a pretty clear storyline to look forward to and you didn't want to miss a Marvel movie because each film was a chapter in that story.

Since Endgame and Spiderman FFH (which ended Phase 3), they've had 9 films and 7 Shows. 16 projects with basically no crossover or expanding storyline. Part of that issue is that some of the films have been wrapping up old characters instead of really building towards the future. I'd put Thor 4, Black Widow, GotG3 and even DS2 in this. And like Rhutton said, most of the the projects have had some massive stakes to them which feels incredibly overdone.

The only actual crossover between projects has been DS & SM in NWH (briefly), Yelena in BW & Hawkeye and Kang showing up in Loki and Quantumania. I really think they need something to really pull at least a decent chunk of the characters together and introduce some real threat that starts to rapidly build.

BowSowy
AG
To your point, I find it very odd that they introduced new characters like Shang-Chi and have not had them show up in anything since. And looking at the upcoming movie slate, I am not sure I see where they would bring in some cross-over. I guess maybe there's potential that he shows up in The Marvels because there may be some tie-in between his rings and Kamala's bangalore? But other than that, I can't see him showing up in Captain America, Thunderbolts, or Blade.

It would be insane to introduce new characters and then sideline them for 4 years until the next Avengers movie, but it is sort of seeming like that is the plan.
wangus12
AG
That was actually a paragraph I had written out and deleted. Shang Chi, The Eternals, teasing StarFox & Black Knight (who may be in Blade), Moon Knight etc.

You could bring in Shang Chi via Wong & Doctor Strange since they met in the credits scene, but they have some many strings that don't look like they tie back in currently
GoAgs92
AG
GOtG is probably the only MCU series that I have seen every movie.

They are all good, I thought the rocket back story was awesome the rest was just ok, was a touch too long.

Glad Gamora never changed.

Don't even know anything about Warlock other than the second movie tie in so he was fine
bearamedic99
AG
I guess part of the problem with having the new heroes cross-over between one another is them not recognizing each other if Shang Chi or StarLord show up for a fight in Wakanda, NYC, or such.

They have not yet assembled as the new Avengers.
maroon barchetta
That's because Star Lord is part of The Asgardians of the Galaxy.
Sea Speed
AG
Finally watched this last night and really enjoyed it.

Was there a reason groot now looks like a college wrestler instead of a long distance runner?
jeffk
AG
This Groot isn't the same being as the original according to Gunn.

Also he's been spending time on Knowhere (their home base planet) which is packed with celestial energy and makes him grow bigger. (The Guardians comics are frickin weird, man.)
YouBet
AG
Sex Panther said:

A really good movie and a nice return to form for Marvel. Some great moments and humor, and Rocket's story was an emotional rollercoaster for sure. If there are any knocks I would say James Gunn just does too much and sometimes needs to be reeled in. It's amazing he keeps the story together as well as he does with all the tone shifts, characters, and plotlines going. It's also almost a little too weird... and I like weird.

Adam Warlock had some humor but he was totally pointless and shoehorned in. He's a major player in the comics and it's like they abandoned whatever they were going to do with him in Endgame/Infinity War and had to throw him into this as comic relief.

My immediate thought is this is the least rewatchable of the trilogy, but the Guardians probably have the best individual catalog of the MCU which is really impressive. I can watch 1 and 2 any time they are on tv - and while this was a very good movie, I just don't know if I will want to revisit it as much as the others.

And I knew there was no way this would be the last of the Guardians. Maybe it's just a solo Star-Lord pic next, but I guarantee you will see the entire gang again at some point... even you Drax

Finally finished this up last night. This sums up my feelings perfectly as well. This movie feels more like an epilogue to Endgame and Phase 3 than a part of Phase 4. And kind of concludes my desire to watch MCU any further (famous last words) until something new comes along that knocks our socks off.

The stuff that has come out since then seems to suck hard except for possibly Loki S2 which I'm not sure I will watch now that I kind of know it ends Phase 4 already...which frankly has been a mess.

The only plot thing I haven't seen mentioned that seems left hanging is that there was a comment in movie that someone was/might be higher up than the High Evolutionary calling his shots. When his own team attempted to overthrow him I thought briefly that the woman leading that effort seemed to have shifted tone immediately from submissive to all of a sudden like she knew something or wasn't what she was made out to be. But then HE kills all of them instantly. So, not sure if something larger going on there or if that was just random.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.