*** GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3 *** (Spoilers)

16,358 Views | 159 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by YouBet
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just got out. Initial reaction is that it weirded me out but I still really liked it. Vols. 1 and 2 I probably liked more, but this was still everything that worked for those movies. I like knowing the whole crew is still out there somewhere and could pop in here or there in future films.

I liked the Marvel title card being all Guardians. Helped set the stage that this movie was just about them. No other characters needed.

Ninja Turtle Groot is still kind of a miss for me, but that's not a huge deal. High Evolutionary was a perfect villain. Warlock was used effectively but I get why some folks might be disappointed. I liked how Knowhere was a big part of the movie (ties into the comics).

Soundtrack was another hit for me, but I grew up in the 90s. End dance party scene was sort of a step too far towards hokieness but it's not a big deal.
c-jags
Urban Ag said:

Me:

My boys:

Then my boys:

Now my boys:

my boys were 4 and 7 when the first one came out and in no way were they going to see that at the time. they were probably 9 and 12 before i let them see it (it's the only marvel movie i've really made them hold off on for a few years.)

now they're 13 and 16 and an accurate picture of the above. they've spent the last 3 days busting up a 4 foot tree stump and concrete in our back yard shirtless with a sledge hammer and a maul looking like a bunch of chads. hard to think 9 years ago of what they were like.

i had to talk them out of going to see this one with friends and ask them to hold off for me since we've been seeing marvel movies together since around 2014. i doubt we'll go to another one in theaters so it's a bit of an end of an era with my boys.
TXAG 05
AG
I'd say it's probably let the best of the post Endgame movies, but I guess that isn't saying much. Not sure how I feel about it, I liked it but not sure if I need to see it again, compared to 1 and 2 that I watch anytime they are one.
toucan82
Pour one out for Lylla, Floor and Teefs
Sea Pony 07
AG
I'm a nineties child and the music really stuck with me. I still have creep stuck in my head.
TXAG 05
AG
Soundtrack was great. Love how they bookended the series with Come and Get Your Love. The first song of Vol 1(Quill intro) and Rocket playing it before going into battle with the new Guardians in the credit scene.
heddleston
AG
I flippin love "In the Meantime." Probably my favorite one hit wonder of the 90s
jeffk
AG
toucan82 said:

Pour one out for Lylla, Floor and Teefs

We barely knew them.
jokershady
AG
ALL OF THIS IS FROM OPENING WEEKEND - MONDAY FOR EACH FILM LISTED BELOW

GotG 3: $127,339,062

----------------------------------------------

(Last 4 Marvel Movies)

Ant Man 3: $120,394,617

Black Panther 2: $192,465,260

Thor 4: $156,347,613

Dr. Strange 2: $201,041,558

(Prior 2 GotG Movies)

GotG 1: $106,043,239

GotG 2: $156,372,759

Hate to say it...but it is looking like the fatigue of the MCU has kicked in (and perhaps superhero films in general)...don't know...but looking at how GotG 2 did in it's first 4 days compared to GotG 3......then also combined with the last 3 films of Phase 4 (BP 2, T-4, DR. S 2) which weren't terrible but also nothing insanely special (admit it...if it weren't for Chadwick's death I think there'd have been a lot more people underwhelmed with BP 2 had it been the same story/script).......I think folks are starting to sour on these films.

Hopefully spacing them out a lot further and giving them time to breathe and feel special again will make a difference
jeffk
AG
I blame Thor 4.
BassCowboy33
jeffk said:

I blame Thor 4.
Thor 4 was terrible.
MJ20/20
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

jeffk said:

I blame Thor 4.
Thor 4 was terrible.
Still better than Black Panther 2. I took 6 kids to see Black Panther 2 in the theater and the 4 8th graders said it was the worst movie they'd ever seen.
jeffk
AG
I would rather watch BP2 than Thor 4. And the box office numbers seem to back that up.

They were both kind of a mess, but at least BP2 had a legitimate excuse.
c-jags
finally saw it and it was indeed a kick in the privates.

thought i would be emotional about a death of the Guardians, but instead you get wrecked by an otter that you didn't even know existed an hour ago and a walrus and creepy spider bunny.

hats off to Gunn for avoiding the post End Game slump and just making his own story. music selection wasn't my favorite, but it was still a solid soundtrack.

i'll put that in the Logan category of a movie I really loved, but probably won't watch again for a very long time.

_______

a random comment, but i feel like filmmakers are doing their best to nerf Chris Pratt's charm and sense of humor. His last 3 movies, (JW3, SMB, and GotGv3) they essentially wrote him out of the random quips that made him beloved (P&R, Lego Movie, first two Guardians, first Jurassic World, etc.) and sobered him up a bit too much.

maybe i just thought his best work was NOT, tomorrow war and terminal list playing a serious role and while you hope he grows up and matures as the leader of GotG, removing him from lovable a-hole is taking away a lot of the reason you cast him. That being said, his maturity over moving on from Gamorah even though you saw the pining, was well done.
BassCowboy33
MJ20/20 said:

BassCowboy33 said:

jeffk said:

I blame Thor 4.
Thor 4 was terrible.
Still better than Black Panther 2. I took 6 kids to see Black Panther 2 in the theater and the 4 8th graders said it was the worst movie they'd ever seen.
I haven't seen it, but Captain Marvel is the worst of the ones I have seen.

In terms of the worst movies I've ever seen in theaters?

1. Splice
2. Dumb and Dumber Too
3. Zoolander 2
4. The Last Jedi
5. Artificial Intelligence (the only movie I've ever walked out of)
BowSowy
AG
jokershady said:

Hate to say it...but it is looking like the fatigue of the MCU has kicked in (and perhaps superhero films in general).
It's definitely hit for me. It's not that I'm tired of the MCU, but I'm tired of getting mediocre to bad movies that don't seem to follow a cohesive over-arching storyline. Fool me once (Multiverse of Madness), shame on you. Fool me twice (Thor 4) and three times (BP2), shame on me. I skipped Ant-Man 3 after seeing very middling reviews. Glad I went and saw GOTG3, but that was mostly because my wife loves those movies as well.

And man, nothing on the near horizon for MCU really piques my interest, aside from Secret Invasion, I guess.
javajaws
AG
jokershady said:

Hate to say it...but it is looking like the fatigue of the MCU has kicked in
You can't discount the effect of the economy on these numbers either. Its been getting worse and I think these numbers somewhat reflect that as well as the fatigue factor. Inflation is real and many people who could afford to take the family out to a movie a year or two ago just can't do that anymore.
toucan82
I'm with you on the upcoming things

I'll probably not watch Marvels unless it gets great reviews here
c-jags
toucan82 said:

I'm with you on the upcoming things

I'll probably not watch Marvels unless it gets great reviews here
i declared after no way home, i was done was done seeing anything in theaters till GG3. i broke that promise out of boredom and saw Thor 4 on a work trip where i had nothing going one night. i think i'm out. i just don't care enough about the remaining characters.

i did shang chi, BP2, and DS2 on d+, but months after they were out. i can't convince my kids to watch thor 4 even though i thought it wasn't as bad as most.
MBAR
AG
Sex Panther said:

A really good movie and a nice return to form for Marvel. Some great moments and humor, and Rocket's story was an emotional rollercoaster for sure. If there are any knocks I would say James Gunn just does too much and sometimes needs to be reeled in. It's amazing he keeps the story together as well as he does with all the tone shifts, characters, and plotlines going. It's also almost a little too weird... and I like weird.

Adam Warlock had some humor but he was totally pointless and shoehorned in. He's a major player in the comics and it's like they abandoned whatever they were going to do with him in Endgame/Infinity War and had to throw him into this as comic relief.

My immediate thought is this is the least rewatchable of the trilogy, but the Guardians probably have the best individual catalog of the MCU which is really impressive. I can watch 1 and 2 any time they are on tv - and while this was a very good movie, I just don't know if I will want to revisit it as much as the others.

And I knew there was no way this would be the last of the Guardians. Maybe it's just a solo Star-Lord pic next, but I guarantee you will see the entire gang again at some point... even you Drax

This definitely sums up how I feel.

I do think it was the weakest of the 3 though, but that speaks more to how good the first two were. Adam Warlock definitely didn't add anything to this movie.

Honestly, I am a bit annoyed with the amount of death fake outs.
Southlake
Yup, a few years from now Gamora will start to have bits of dreams about some guy who saved her when she was floating in space…at first she'll think his name is Kevin Bacon…and wonder why people would have sticks up their butts…soon, it will become clear to her because we all miss someone from our dreams…
AgPediRPh
AG
It's not a trap; it's a face off

Wonder if that was foreshadowing
jeffk
AG
Southlake said:

Yup, a few years from now Gamora will start to have bits of dreams about some guy who saved her when she was floating in space…at first she'll think his name is Kevin Bacon…and wonder why people would have sticks up their butts…soon, it will become clear to her because we all miss someone from our dreams…

I hope not. That would undermine all of the development we got to Peter's character this film and also the fact that the present Gamora is a whole different person than the one who fell in love with Star Lord.
jokershady
AG
holy crap this was spot on...pretty incredible actually how this guy mimics a lot of what i read here from our reactions almost perfectly on a lot of his content

rhutton125
AG
I don't want to be a D, and I'm not being passive aggressive, and I won't ask this each time one of these gets posted, but... am I the only one that doesn't find this dude funny at all? I feel like I'm the minority here but maybe I'm not.

Anyway, I genuinely hope you all continue to enjoy them!
schmendeler
AG
Sometimes it's funny. Sometimes it's overly pedantic. I think you have to be in the mood for it.
LB12Diamond
AG
The best ones are for average movies bc that's gives him better material. Braking Dawn is pretty funny.
kyledr04
AG
Finally got to see it tonight. Really enjoyed it. Easily the best since endgame. Very emotional and dark at times. Really surprised no one died. I felt like it was the second best of the three. I could watch a show of just Comso and Kraglin.

The sound track was the worst. Too much 90s. I didn't like most 90s music growing up. The mutant animal people were a little much. It was funny the Earth replica had 80s cars.

BassCowboy33
kyledr04 said:

Finally got to see it tonight. Really enjoyed it. Easily the best since endgame. Very emotional and dark at times. Really surprised no one died. I felt like it was the second best of the three. I could watch a show of just Comso and Kraglin.

The sound track was the worst. Too much 90s. I didn't like most 90s music growing up. The mutant animal people were a little much. It was funny the Earth replica had 80s cars.

Again, very generational on the music thing. I view the 90s rock as the best ever... because I'm a 90s kid who thought the Nirvana, Matchbox 20, Black Album era was pretty awesome.

But I'm game for pretty much anything with a guitar pre-2006.
The Dog Lord
AG
Saw it last night. Was surprised at how few people were there for only the 2nd weekend. We see fewer movies in the theatre nowadays but still like to see big blockbusters sometimes.

Agree with the rest that it was pretty good. Had a much different tone than the other 2 though. I do wish Adam Warlock was a more significant part of the story, but hopefully this was just viewed as a (crappy) introduction of his character.
The Dog Lord
AG
Forgot to mention we also loved the High Evolutionary. That guy was amazing.
jeffk
AG
I'm curious about the complaints regarding Adam Warlock. Yes, he was teased in Vol 2, but I don't know that "normal" moviegoers are so attuned to comic runs that they're going to be disappointed in how he was used in the film. He was basically a plot device, but I just don't hear a lot of wishing that he was the central baddie. Am I wrong?
The Dog Lord
AG
I'm not a comic guy but was excited about the stuff I had read about Adam. Seemed like he was gonna be a big new character.

That said, I don't think most people will be upset either. They may question why he was in it at all, though.
BassCowboy33
The Dog Lord said:

I'm not a comic guy but was excited about the stuff I had read about Adam. Seemed like he was gonna be a big new character.

That said, I don't think most people will be upset either. They may question why he was in it at all, though.
His character definitely serves a purpose. As opposed to some others here, I loved his role and never felt he was going to be a major character based on the interviews and trailers leading up (He didn't even appear in some trailers). His character is definitely designed to play a much larger role as the MCU moves forward.
rhutton125
AG
The "secondary villain becomes ally" trope is fine, I think he just didn't get much screen time or really help the team until the very very end (and in a way that would have been easily circumvented if Quill had his mask or jet boots).

That said… the Guardians' arch nemesis is typically the Magus / the Universal Church of Truth, so if they WANT to, Warlock can play a big part in a sequel.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.