*** GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3 *** (Spoilers)

16,473 Views | 159 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by YouBet
Jugstore Cowboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
javajaws said:

jokershady said:

Hate to say it...but it is looking like the fatigue of the MCU has kicked in
You can't discount the effect of the economy on these numbers either. Its been getting worse and I think these numbers somewhat reflect that as well as the fatigue factor. Inflation is real and many people who could afford to take the family out to a movie a year or two ago just can't do that anymore.
8PM showing tonight, at the regular old AMC, in dolby, is $20.99 plus convenience fees. Cheapest option is digital, at $15.49.

I can wait.

The MCU has sputtered out, but it's not like theaters are very busy otherwise.
Quad Dog
AG
Saw it today with the family. Probably the most grown up MCU movie yet. A lot of brutal scenes and killings. The animal experimentation stuff was really tough. Maybe some of the more mature themes are keeping families and repeat viewings away.

The Beastie Boys hallway fight was awesome.

Great soundtrack again, caught my whole family bobbing their head and tapping their feet many times.

As a big Warlock fan growing up, sad to see him get the Gimli treatment here.

At times it felt like a backdoor We3 adaptation. Which is a great, short, and sad comic if you've never read it. If you wanted more of the Rocket experimentation stuff, check it out.
Cromagnum
AG
Guardians 1 was awesome. Part 2 was pretty bad at times and this one was bottom of the 3 for me, just barely edged out by 2.

I did like the Rocket backstory, but it was clear his character carried the scenes with the other guardians because the movie was not the same until he got fixed up. A ton of the jokes fell flat, but I still laugh at Draxx most of the time, especially when he ****s on Mantis. Adam Warlock was a complete waste of screentime. He was in the movie for what, all of 5 minutes?

The trailer for The Marvel's definitely looked like one I'll be skipping completely and just reading a plot summary.
AliasMan02
AG
This is just some rando nobody but is the sort of thing that reminds me why I don't talk about movies on social media.

This was in a thread where several other people boldly commented "I didn't even know this movie was out!" like true originals.

TexasAggie_02
AG
What bothered me about quills fake out death was that he was not wearing his rocket boots, nor his nano tech starlord helmet. I know that they have matching uniforms now, but those are kind of his trademark, and would have come in handy there and when they jumped out of the shop on counter Earth.
Sea Pony 07
AG
My understanding was that his helmet was destroyed in endgame and never replaced.
rhutton125
AG
It was destroyed in 2, then back in IW and Endgame. Gunn has said that they're in his desk on Knowhere and they just ran off too quickly and got left behind.

Which feels like an unfortunately lame hand-wave because they would have come in handy when he dove off the ship, and again at the end floating through space. Maybe a line in the film should have established that.
dmart90
AG
The Dog Lord said:

Forgot to mention we also loved the High Evolutionary. That guy was amazing.
In my 50+ years of movie watching, I've never wanted a bad guy in a movie to die more than I wanted the High Evolutionary to die. What a totally despicable character - I completely hated him! So well acted.

Saw the movie last night - really enjoyed it! Weakest soundtrack of the three. Rocket's backstory was quite emotional - movie theater was a little dusty at times. Most of the characters evolved nicely. The "breakup" at the end felt forced. Would watch again.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Also, Stallone's group has a sorcerer that can open portals, yet they just hand off space suits and say "good luck, if you get caught, we can't come help you" could've literally Portaled them inside the compound.
An L of an Ag
AG
Just got back from finally seeing this. It was great! Easily the most entertaining of the post-MCU3 movies!
maroon barchetta
Saw GOTG3 today and can finally get into this thread!
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
Enjoyed the fact that the plot didn't involve saving the universe. Instead, it was just about saving a friend.

By the way, maybe I missed this, but did all the cute animal people on counter earth die?
jeffk
AG
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the whole planet was wiped clean when the ship took off.
jeffk
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

Also, Stallone's group has a sorcerer that can open portals, yet they just hand off space suits and say "good luck, if you get caught, we can't come help you" could've literally Portaled them inside the compound.

Speaking of portal guy, that was the same portal animation/style as Dr. Strange and the other wizards right?
maroon barchetta
TexasAggie_02 said:

You aren't getting portals included for only 100,000 credits.
schmendeler
AG
Yeah i think so
TexasAggie_02
AG
jeffk said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

Speaking of portal guy, that was the same portal animation/style as Dr. Strange and the other wizards right?
yes, and he was introduced in GOTG2
TexasAggie_02
AG
maroon barchetta said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

You aren't getting portals included for only 100,000 credits.
true
Quad Dog
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

Remind me why Stallone's group was invested at all in saving Rocket. I thought there was going to be some secondary plot going on of Gamora trying to steal proprietary data from the station. But I guess the Ravagers are that dedicated to helping out someone (Rocket) who is kind of associated with them?
AliasMan02
AG
They were getting paid. And Nebula set it up through Gamora.
Max Power
AG
My wife and I got a chance to see it on Saturday and both enjoyed it. I think it's the weakest of the 3 Guardians films but also has the best villain. The High Evolutionary > Ego > Ronan. I think they used comedy and emotion to mask a pretty weak plot. This was basically a heist movie, like Endgame, but not nearly as well executed. I can appreciate the overall arc of the films as a whole.

I kind of hope that's it for them, just close the book. I know they said to stay tuned and Star Lord will return but I don't think they need to saddle up again. It wasn't the best ending for the franchise, but it's acceptable.

In addition to the darker subject matter the thing that drove me crazy once again is how dark the film was. I don't understand why they can't make these things brighter. It's legitimately hard to see what's going on a lot of the time.
maca1028
Finally getting to see this in about an hour. See y'all on the other side.
Saxsoon
AG
https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstudios/comments/13lbnp0/vfx_artist_from_gotg_vol_3_confirms_high/

Nice catch, they didn't let the High Evolutionary die
dreyOO
dmart90 said:

The Dog Lord said:

Forgot to mention we also loved the High Evolutionary. That guy was amazing.
In my 50+ years of movie watching, I've never wanted a bad guy in a movie to die more than I wanted the High Evolutionary to die. What a totally despicable character - I completely hated him! So well acted.

Saw the movie last night - really enjoyed it! Weakest soundtrack of the three. Rocket's backstory was quite emotional - movie theater was a little dusty at times. Most of the characters evolved nicely. The "breakup" at the end felt forced. Would watch again.

Worst soundtrack of the 3, that I completely agree on.

Mentioned to the wife that the only reason I'll hesitate to rewatch this is the Evolutionary guy. Not only is he a massive creep but he had so much dialog that I don't want to sit through again. For all the lack of Warlock development, this guy got a ton.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Saxsoon said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstudios/comments/13lbnp0/vfx_artist_from_gotg_vol_3_confirms_high/

Nice catch, they didn't let the High Evolutionary die
i wouldn't call that a catch, if the VFX artist leaked it. Would have been cooler for people to find organically once the blu-ray came out, and ppl started pouring over it frame by frame.

Interesting development, nonetheless.

There is a huge push on reddit for Marvel to retcon the High Evolutionary as a Kang variant, and just use that actor going forward. He definitely pulled off the level of evil needed for the job.

Only problem with that is that the main MCU is part of the "sacred timeline" and the High Evolutionary has been active in this timeline now for over 300 years. He Who Remains would not have allowed this timeline to exist if he was a Kang Variant.
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
I tend to not only not geek out over comic book stuff, but it actually tends to annoy me.

BUT…

After reading more online about the High Evolutionary, it seems like the movie really underplayed how dangerous and powerful a foe he is supposed to be.

He's a Thanos level villain in the comics. Seemingly.
rhutton125
AG
I don't know if I'd go that far. He's kind of a weird sometimes-ally usually-villain sort of character. He's involved in some Wanda/Pietro stories and sometimes part of Spider-Woman's origin. There's a High Evolutionary vs Apocalypse miniseries I think. He's in an episode of the X-Men cartoon (the only one with Wanda) - maybe more of an X-Men villain than Avengers.

I guess I think of it like… there are lots of crazy strong threats (especially cosmic). But the ones with big extended story arcs that keep coming back again and again, those are the truly special ones. I've been slowly reading through the comics (I'm up to 2011) and I don't know the last High Evolutionary comic I read, but since that last one I've read several Thanos, Doom, Ultron, Norman Osborn, Kang the Conqueror and Apocalypse storylines.

That said, he was a great pick for this movie and didn't really steal a top-shelf villain from anyone else's rogues gallery.
maroon barchetta
rhutton125 said:

I don't know if I'd go that far. He's kind of a weird sometimes-ally usually-villain sort of character. He's involved in some Wanda/Pietro stories and sometimes part of Spider-Woman's origin. There's a High Evolutionary vs Apocalypse miniseries I think. He's in an episode of the X-Men cartoon (the only one with Wanda) - maybe more of an X-Men villain than Avengers.

I guess I think of it like… there are lots of crazy strong threats (especially cosmic). But the ones with big extended story arcs that keep coming back again and again, those are the truly special ones. I've been slowly reading through the comics (I'm up to 2011) and I don't know the last High Evolutionary comic I read, but since that last one I've read several Thanos, Doom, Ultron, Norman Osborn, Kang the Conqueror and Apocalypse storylines.

That said, he was a great pick for this movie and didn't really steal a top-shelf villain from anyone else's rogues gallery.

Did you come across an Avengers issue where Ultron sent some powerful robot to steal some AB Resin X and AB Resin Y to be able to make Adamantium for new bodies for Ultron and Jocasta?
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Fightin TX Aggie said:

He's a Thanos level villain in the comics. Seemingly.
Probably depends which storylines you catch. I don't have the slightest idea what they've done with him in modern times, but the impression I had from older comics (70's - 90's) is that he was kind of a morally ambiguous scientist who never really thought through the negative potential outcomes of his experiments. I'm not sure he was ever a fixed villain for any particular franchise, but he'd show up from time to time, mostly engrossed in his own experiments. I think he was supposed to be something of an idealist who was frustrated with the realities of human failings.

They do make his scientific genius almost god-like in some stories, like creating Counter-Earth and quickly evolving it to a modern parallel world. At some point, I tracked down the issue numbers for the Counter-Earth storyline and found them on readcomicsonline. That incarnation of Adam Warlock was supposedly somewhat inspired by Jesus Christ Superstar.
tremble
AG
Best Marvel movie in a while. Sad to see this franchise kind of move on.
Saxsoon
AG
James Gunn confirms it and I hope we see more

jokershady
AG
Loved how well this actor played a crazy scientist with a god complex and super powers (or a super suit at least)….so glad he's probably coming back!
agdoc2001
AG
Finally managed to catch this one last night with my 7 and 10 year old. I would have to call it my 3rd favorite of the GOTG movies, but I REALLY love the 1st two. Ending was incredibly bittersweet - as the guardians said goodbye to one another it also felt a bit like I was also saying goodbye to a cinematic era that was absolutely dominated by the Marvel Universe and probably to my enthusiasm for Marvel movies going forward as well.

Interestingly, my 6pm showing was completely full, so I wonder if this movie won't be a "late bloomer" from a box office standpoint.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jr15aggie
AG
What a great movie... just a ton of fun start to finish!

I hadn't heard that this might be the last one. Sad if so. There is definitely plenty of money still to be made and this fan would gladly watch another!
mm98
AG
This was better than Volume 2, for me anyway.

Saw it with the family tonight. Just left the theatre actually. Some teary moments for sure. Loved it overall. I put it just behind Volume 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.