*** GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3 *** (Spoilers)

16,464 Views | 159 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by YouBet
Saxsoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Man been there. Prayers for you and your family
AliasMan02
AG
Like I said in the other thread, it's still very fresh and raw but this might be #1 for me. Endgame was very different and it's hard to compare.

I just loved it. Cried more than once and choked up several other times. I had to sit in the car for a few minutes after to just reflect, and I didn't listen to my music or anything on the way home so I could sit with it a while.

One thing I haven't seen is praise for Zoe Saldana. It was her best outing as Gamora by a mile. And I loved her and Quill not getting back together, showing that Gamora had found her family already elsewhere. Not to say they couldn't get back around to it but it was very well done. As were all the partings by the Guardians.

Music that jumped out at me were the acoustic Creep (set the stage well) and No Sleep Til Brooklyn.

I've seen some say it needed to be shaved and on some level I had that thought too, just because I was so exhausted by the end, but I can't find where I'd cut it other than some of the longer action sequences... but you can't do that. The hallway fight with the whole team was very cinematic and we'll done, btw.

Gunn did a great job finding closure for all the storylines and giving everyone big, important moments.

The audience being able to understand Groot now was such a nice touch.

Technically, I didn't feel like this suffered from the poor CGI or bad lighting/coloring of recent films. Looked as good as any MCU movie has, to me.
AliasMan02
AG
Also I can't stop thinking about what kind of Superman movie Gunn is capable of...
Aggie_Journalist
AG
In the final post credit scene, grandpa's newspaper has a headline about Kevin Bacon being kidnapped by aliens

That detail got a chuckle out of me.
Thanks and gig'em
schmendeler
AG
I might have missed someone else say this, but Groot finally saying something other than "I am Groot" was supposed to be the audience finally being part of the family, right?

That was my takeaway.
TCTTS
AG
Sex Panther said:

A really good movie and a nice return to form for Marvel. Some great moments and humor, and Rocket's story was an emotional rollercoaster for sure. If there are any knocks I would say James Gunn just does too much and sometimes needs to be reeled in. It's amazing he keeps the story together as well as he does with all the tone shifts, characters, and plotlines going. It's also almost a little too weird... and I like weird.

Adam Warlock had some humor but he was totally pointless and shoehorned in. He's a major player in the comics and it's like they abandoned whatever they were going to do with him in Endgame/Infinity War and had to throw him into this as comic relief.

My immediate thought is this is the least rewatchable of the trilogy, but the Guardians probably have the best individual catalog of the MCU which is really impressive. I can watch 1 and 2 any time they are on tv - and while this was a very good movie, I just don't know if I will want to revisit it as much as the others.

And I knew there was no way this would be the last of the Guardians. Maybe it's just a solo Star-Lord pic next, but I guarantee you will see the entire gang again at some point... even you Drax

Just posted my spoiler-free reaction in the other thread, came to check out the spoiler talk here, and basically agree with you 100%.
Sea Pony 07
AG
That was my interpretation as well.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I don't understand anyone putting 2 above this one, but that's just me.

Vol 2 > Vol 3 by a pretty significant amount for me, for so many reasons.
AMW2010
AG
This was definitely me…

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRwTqX3u/
Urban Ag
AG
jokershady said:

Holy crap I needed this movie! Straight up needed it!

Yesterday it was all but confirmed that my dad has stage 4 pancreatic cancer…we are technically waiting for results from a biopsy that we'll find out about Monday but knowing what we already know from doctors and some quick google searches…yeah, it's not looking good…my apologies to the very few people who know who I am who could be getting this info first here, but since those few aren't even on Texags anymore I should be ok posting this here...

So we had already planned to take the kids to see this today and I'm already a bit emotional…so needless to say this movie hit me hard…

Obviously Rockets backstory was the star of the show and it did not disappoint. Watching him cry over his dead friends was something I never thought I'd see and now I see why there were tweets about Bradly Cooper being the first actor to win an Academy Award for a CGI character.

And why wasn't THIS GUY playing the High Evolutionary cast as Kang?????? Holy hell this man was intimidating!! He was evil!! He was scary!! He was insane!! But best of all he was BELIEVE-ABLE!! Everytime this guy was on screen I was nervous about what he might do or say.

And the final character arcs they gave for everyone I thought was perfect! Quill goes back to Earth and finds his family. Mantis goes to find her own path (ok that was a little weak but I can let it slide since her brother did the same thing). Drax gets a chance to be a dad again (jeez even that got me emotional). Gamora and Quill finally come to terms that she'll never be "his" Gamora but she understands why he's pursued her. Nebula takes on the roll of helping rebuild Knowhere. And Rocket takes over as the leader of the Guardians.

So many amazing moments!! I might go back and watch it again. And have no idea where I'd rate this one amongst the first 2….but this is definitely top 10 for me for all MCU films and considering how many amazing MCU films there are…..

First, I haven't see this yet. Taking my 14 year old tomorrow and his buddies but I will not be watching because not cool anymore for dad to go with them, lol, I guess.

I'll catch it on D+ probably in a few months. I love this segment of the MCU.

Second, wanted to say I have really enjoyed your posts because I generally get a laugh out of them. You and Sex Panther.

Third, glad you got some release. I can relate. Been a bit of a sh** couple of years for me too. No shame in getting emotional, it just is what it is. Life wears you out sometimes. Hug those kiddos brother. Sorry to hear about your dad.

And to make it personal........................

Me:

My boys:

Then my boys:

Now my boys:

Sex Panther
AG
Quote:

Second, wanted to say I have really enjoyed your posts because I generally get a laugh out of them. You and Sex Panther.

jokershady
AG
Urban Ag said:

You brought up a great thought too…cause of watching these so closely together I never considered how long ago the first movie came out! Been a good number of years since the original GotG….so yeah those of y'all thatve been watching with kiddos since #1 grew up with this series
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

You are the clear exception as the biggest fan of that movie.
AggieLitigator
Brian Earl Spilner said:

TCTTS said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

You are the clear exception as the biggest fan of that movie.

False. I also liked 2 significantly more. But I am glad so many of y'all liked 3 this much. To each their own.
Mike Elko
AG
AliasMan02 said:

I just loved it. Cried more than once and choked up several other times. I had to sit in the car for a few minutes after to just reflect, and I didn't listen to my music or anything on the way home so I could sit with it a while.
I mean, 'twas a good, entertaining flick and all, but...

As other posters stated, to each their own!
AliasMan02
AG
It was very emotional for me. I cried several times.
jokershady
AG
So far it's estimating 114 million domestic and 168 million international for roughly 280 million worldwide for opening weekend.

No idea how that compares to the past but that's something to go off of right now
Saxsoon
AG
2 was 146m
AggieLitigator
jokershady said:

So far it's estimating 114 million domestic and 168 million international for roughly 280 million worldwide for opening weekend.

No idea how that compares to the past but that's something to go off of right now

Ant Man pulled in 106 domestically and has been dubbed a failure. Multiverse of Madness did mid 180million. Black Panther 2 right around 180 opening weekend domestically
Dr. Horrible
I liked the movie a lot, but was very disappointed with Adam Warlock. He was what I was looking forward to most about this movie and was possibly the worst major comic character introduction we've seen. Luckily there was enough food in the movie to look past that overall, but I wish they had just left him out all together.
jokershady
AG
AggieLitigator said:

jokershady said:

Ant Man pulled in 106 domestically and has been dubbed a failure. Multiverse of Madness did mid 180million. Black Panther 2 right around 180 opening weekend domestically
so I'd say still not good….unless those metrics are way off but that's going off box office mojo
AgPediRPh
AG
I always thought Rocket's reactions to Groot's "deaths" (GOTG, Infinity War) were really sad. It's even more heartbreaking knowing his backstory.

Happier part: I couldn't help but smile when he said "My name is Rocket…Rocket Raccoon"
LB12Diamond
AG
Not sure what to think about this one.

Overall pretty solid but choppy at times.

I rank it 3rd of the three.

Lots of laughs. Probably my fav was young Rocket stealing things.
BTHOthatguy
Word of mouth will keep this in theaters IMO.
schmendeler
AG
Honestly not sure where i rank it of the three. But i would def say that if you liked the first and second that you need to see this one. Was it "great"? I'm not so sure, but it was a lot of fun and I'll gladly rewatch it in 6-9 months on Disney+.

It's a no-brainer to see it for even a middling marvel fan.
TyHolden
AG
My son watched all the spoilers and told us somebody very important was going to die. I seriously thought it was Quill at the end. My daughter started crying. Little punk.
javajaws
AG
AJ02 said:

We just watched it in 4DX and holy cow....what an experience. Great movie to watch in 4DX. Thought I was going to get thrown out of my seat a few times.

Lol I thought I was going in for the 2d movie experience...but ended up with the 4d fun when my wife decided to juggle a 32 oz Coke in the air and ultimately tossing it upside down in my lap with 5 minutes left in the movie. I tried to think of some witty Star-Lord comeback joke but ended up just giving her the Gamora stare!

Pros from me: best MCU villain performance! I liked the heavy use of bold colors. Special effects were great. Orchestral soundtrack was better than the mix tape soundtrack this time around. Baby Rocket (voiced by Gunn's son?). "Bad dog"

Cons: some of the jokes were forced/too much. A few scenes could have been cut and would have made the pacing a little better.

Nothing Beats EP1, but this imo is better than 2.
MASAXET
AG
I saw this last night and really enjoyed. I think there are a lot of valid criticisms that have been raised here and elsewhere, particularly in regard to Gunn trying to do too much and needing to be reigned in at times. But still, overall I thought this was a very enjoyable, emotional, exciting, and fun movie. I also think it will have some solid rewatchability, but that remains to be seen for sure.

I don't know how to rank the trilogy or where this falls in the overall MCU rankings just yet, other than to say it was in the upper tier for me.
vaqueroag
AG
Went and saw it last night and chalked up how emotional I got to me just being hungover. Turns out the "hurts' part is still getting me today. Allergies were terrible yesterday evening.
AliasMan02
AG
Being a dad of young kids contributes to my emotions on these sorts of things.
TCTTS
AG
jackie childs
TyHolden said:

My son watched all the spoilers and told us somebody very important was going to die. I seriously thought it was Quill at the end. My daughter started crying. Little punk.

how dare you...Lylla is very important!
BassCowboy33
Sounds like I'm in the minority here, but it was my favorite of the three films.They're all great.
jackie childs
agreed with what so many have already said...it was a great movie. i'd probably have it after Vol. 1 and before Vol. 2.

interestingly though, i think Vol. 2 might have my favorite needle drop moments of the trilogy. obviously all three are great, but the scenes featuring Brandy, Mr. Blue Sky, Come a Little Bit Closer and Father and Son were just fantastic.
BassCowboy33
jackie childs said:

agreed with what so many have already said...it was a great movie. i'd probably have it after Vol. 1 and before Vol. 2.

interestingly though, i think Vol. 2 might have my favorite needle drop moments of the trilogy. obviously all three are great, but the scenes featuring Brandy, Mr. Blue Sky, Come a Little Bit Closer and Father and Son were just fantastic.

I audibly gasped at the moment in Vol. 2 where Ego admits to killing Quill's mother. Wasn't expecting that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.