*** GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3 *** (Spoilers)

16,470 Views | 159 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by YouBet
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For this evening, so the other thread isn't full of spoiler block after spoiler block.

I'm not seeing it until Saturday night, so I'll see you guys back here then...
Saxsoon
AG
I am not sure how I felt about 3 fake out deaths and no one actually dying but overall it was good

Rocket becoming the leader and the flashbacks were really powerful. The animals were really disturbing especially Floor and Teeth's

Warlock was pretty much wasted

Lots of incredible character moments akd Nebula felt like the emotional heart of the team after Rocket

Always a fan of Mantis and Drax and they had some great moments

Cosmo and Craglin bits on who is a good dog was absolutely adorable

Loved quills grandad reading a newspaper talking about Kevin bacons abduction and then the LEGENDARY STAR LORD WILL RETURN
Juan Solo
AG
Im low key glad Adam warlock didn't save the day captain marvel style.
The opening was amazing

My allergies kicked in when baby rocket said "hurts"
Saxsoon
AG
I was not expecting the straight up bone snapping happening in that beginning fight
Saxsoon
AG
Apparently "The Legendary Star-Lord" is a comic series that follows a solo Peter Quill who, after leaving the Guardians, confronts some paternal family issues.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
"Open the f-ing door!"
dreyOO
Watching it Saturday afternoon. I'll check back in.

Love that my kids insisted on seeing the first two parts this week so they'd be ready for it.
Sea Pony 07
AG
The otter being named Lilah and then dying gutted me. I had a cat named Lilah whose birthday was next week that I had to put down about a year ago.

I cried a few other times and I really loved the story and the ending. One of the few movies I thought was worth the 3D Imax ticket.
C@LAg
Saxsoon said:

Apparently "The Legendary Star-Lord" is a comic series that follows a solo Peter Quill who, after leaving the Guardians, confronts some paternal family issues.
storyline was replaced in the MCU by the dreadful ego-is-is-father storyline.
AgfromHOU
AG
Not sure yet how I felt about the movie.

I did really like the opening Marvel Studios being so Guardians-centric, as well as the credits having a scrapbook of the Guardians' time together.
Sex Panther
AG
A really good movie and a nice return to form for Marvel. Some great moments and humor, and Rocket's story was an emotional rollercoaster for sure. If there are any knocks I would say James Gunn just does too much and sometimes needs to be reeled in. It's amazing he keeps the story together as well as he does with all the tone shifts, characters, and plotlines going. It's also almost a little too weird... and I like weird.

Adam Warlock had some humor but he was totally pointless and shoehorned in. He's a major player in the comics and it's like they abandoned whatever they were going to do with him in Endgame/Infinity War and had to throw him into this as comic relief.

My immediate thought is this is the least rewatchable of the trilogy, but the Guardians probably have the best individual catalog of the MCU which is really impressive. I can watch 1 and 2 any time they are on tv - and while this was a very good movie, I just don't know if I will want to revisit it as much as the others.

And I knew there was no way this would be the last of the Guardians. Maybe it's just a solo Star-Lord pic next, but I guarantee you will see the entire gang again at some point... even you Drax

Saxsoon
AG
Sex Panther said:

A really good movie and a nice return to form for Marvel. Some great moments and humor, and Rocket's story was an emotional rollercoaster for sure. If there are any knocks I would say James Gunn just does too much and sometimes needs to be reeled in. It's amazing he keeps the story together as well as he does with all the tone shifts, characters, and plotlines going. It's also almost a little too weird... and I like weird.

Adam Warlock had some humor but he was totally pointless and shoehorned in. He's a major player in the comics and it's like they abandoned whatever they were going to do with him in Endgame/Infinity War and had to throw him into this as comic relief.

My immediate thought is this is the least rewatchable of the trilogy, but the Guardians probably have the best individual catalog of the MCU which is really impressive. I can watch 1 and 2 any time they are on tv - and while this was a very good movie, I just don't know if I will want to revisit it as much as the others.

And I knew there was no way this would be the last of the Guardians. Maybe it's just a solo Star-Lord pic next, but I guarantee you will see the entire gang again at some point... even you Drax

I couldn't put my finger on it but this movie could use 15 minutes of editing. Like you said reel him in a little bit

I didn't want that emoji, just meant to be neutral
AggieLitigator
It was the worst of the three. The breakup of most of the team felt thrown together and forced for an ending. The fake out deaths were stupid especially Quills. It was a movie that tried to be too deep and emotional. It wasn't funny except for Drax's one liners. Warlock was made a complete joke. Guardians 1 is one of the top 3 Marvel movies of all time. Guardians 2 is solid. Guardians 3 is a movie I probably won't watch again.
AgfromHOU
AG
Also, was that the first f bomb in the MCU? "Open the ****ing door!"
Saxsoon
AG
Yes
kerrag06
AG
The weakest of the 3? Are you guys off your rocker? Semi-kidding. I know everybody has different taste. Whoever is reading these reviews don't you dare let them delay you seeing it. Every single person I know that saw it last night (about 8) absolutely thought it was top 5 Marvel movie period. Then again, I'm that guy who got excited even with that brief Fast and Furious promo before GOG3 at our Santikos last night. And the new Transformers- let's freaking go!
Saxsoon
AG
I would not remotely put this in the top five but it was good
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I don't understand anyone putting 2 above this one, but that's just me.
BowSowy
AG
Really enjoyed it. Thought it tied up their story nicely.

Too much body horror stuff for my taste, though.
AMW2010
AG
If I had to rank them…
Guardians 1
Guardians 3
Guardians 2

I would say volume 3 is a close second as it's hard to recreate how good the first one was. Volume 2 is a big separation between the others for me.

As weird as the animal creatures were… the most uneasy part of the movie is when the til the skin off the high evolutionary face to reveal all the damage rocket did to him.

I was really sad when lyla was killed and the rocket goes crazy and turns around and see his friends died also

Warlock was a GIANT waste, but with this being guns swan song in the MCU, I feel they felt obligated to do something.

Groot in the post credits was BAD ASS! But I didn't care for him saying I love you at the end, that was out of place for me.

Fun movie that should have probably came out years ago. Will definitely miss Gunn in the MCU. The marvels trailer came on before the movie… and that mcu style just looks so cheesy compared to gunns out there and gritty style.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Definitely worth seeing in the theater if you're an MCU fan. I'd rank it behind #1 but slightly ahead of #2 (and I liked #2).

A little bit more all over the place than #2, not as coherent/linear a story as the first two. Maybe a little bit too much, but with this being the final one I get the need to pack a lot in.

Rocket's storyline in #2 and his interactions with Yondu were rough enough, but his backstory in this one was absolutely heartbreaking. I legit wanted him to go ahead and die and be at peace with Lyla, Teeths, and Floor.

The fake Quill death was lame. It felt like it was thrown in just to show Adam Warlock becoming a good person and part of the team, and as a result felt cheap.

But the sadness at the end of the movie felt completely legit and earned. This group honestly earned their way into my heart over the previous GOTG and Infinity War movies and I think with the Guardians ending my "must see" interest in the MCU has finally and definitely died as well.
Sea Pony 07
AG
I totally get ending interest in the MCU. Thor 4 was the last Marvel movie I saw in theater and before that it was end game part 2 and none of the movies between. And I was that girl that bought tickets on release day and stood in line for 4 hours for the midnight imax openers up until then.
dave94
AG
Lost in a lot of this discussion was how great the Quill-Gamora situation was handled. That was heartbreaking and so well done.
BowSowy
AG
dave94 said:

Lost in a lot of this discussion was how great the Quill-Gamora situation was handled. That was heartbreaking and so well done.
Agreed. I think this movie was great with putting a bow on all of their storylines. As much as I'd like to continue to see movies with this group, I think this was the proper send-off. Please don't make any more Guardians movies.
rhutton125
AG
I quite enjoyed. I need some time before I go back for seconds. That was a tough watch. Baby Rocket looks just like my dog when he gets scared.
BoydCrowder13
Thought it was great. The Warlock stuff was completely out of left field but I think Gunn felt like he had to put him in. The Rocket backstory was very well done, the big character moments were great, Peter and Gamora were handled well and the send off was emotional.

Best of all, Gunn let the emotional moments breathe. He and Taika are notoriously bad at inserting a quip and absolutely ruining a dramatic moment. Felt like he took his foot off the gas a little regarding that. And I appreciated it.
rhutton125
AG
Updated thoughts:

I gotta give big props to James Gunn. I am a fan of his but also big critic. I love Vol. 1, and Peacemaker was way better than it had any reason to be, but I really don't like Vol. 2 and even The Suicide Squad was just fine to me. Kinda more of the same - irreverent not-heroes, arguing in the midst of battle, with shock humor and cheap deaths to raise stakes.

I also think sometimes he can be full of himself. Vol 2 characters laughing hysterically at subpar jokes, and he's not much different on the commentary; "look at this great joke I wrote, that's not improv, I wrote that." I appreciate that he engages with fans online but sometimes he's a bit too mic-drop-y with twitter trolls and I wish he'd just ignore them. He also takes a whole lot of credit from Nicole Perlman, Guardian's original writer. And I don't like that lately he's said that Star-Lord shouldn't/wouldn't have freaked out and punched Thanos in Infinity War - I feel like that degrades the integrity of the shared universe if directors are throwing other directors under the bus. If there's a Guardians 4 with another director, I hope he leaves the criticism to himself.

All that said, I thought I'd kinda figured Gunn out by now. I figured Guardians 3 would have...

• Serious moments undercut by dumb jokes
  • A dramatic death or two - he's like Whedon, it's hard to resist
  • He's the only one that understands and gets to play with these characters, so the originals are probably all done or dead by the end
  • His brother in too prominent a role
  • Characters bickering over literal misinterpretations
  • Everyone is mean to each other but then they bond in a drinking scene and now we're family

...and this movie, essentially, had none of that! I thought he'd zig and he zagged instead. Totally different tone from 1 and 2, fully committed to the characters that have earned it (not Kraglin), giving each of them plenty of time to shine (unlike Vol 2, with too many characters who did very little). Having everyone live was the biggest shock of all, and now if the right project comes along, any one or two of them could return and it would make sense in the universe.

I don't know if he's matured as a filmmaker or if he just loved these characters enough to do right by them, ego aside, but either way... I'm very glad. And while I wouldn't say I'm remotely excited about the DC Universe he's making, I have more confidence that he'll do it right rather than do it Gunn-y, which bodes well for Superman in particular.

Top-10 MCU film for me.
Saxsoon
AG

FightinTexasAg15
AG
That was an incredibly well done movie and a fantastic guardians film, but I don't know if I have the emotional capability to re-watch it lol
jokershady
AG
In the theatre now! Let's gooooooooo!

What's awesome about this is at Alamo Drafthouse they're showing a recap from each character's perspective before the movie. Pretty sweet!
AJ02
AG
We just watched it in 4DX and holy cow....what an experience. Great movie to watch in 4DX. Thought I was going to get thrown out of my seat a few times.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I just saw this one. Best movie in the MCU since Endgame, bar none.

There was lots to like about this one - from Rocket's beginnings told through the flashbacks to handling the relationship between Quill and Gamora all the way to Quill returning to earth to reunite with his grandfather.

I didn't care for Adam Warlock outside of the opening sequence when he wails on the Guardians, nor did I like the representation of the golden chick's people being a creation of the High Evolutionary and subject to his whims. That felt like a waste.

Volume 1 > Volume 3 > Volume 2
rhutton125
AG
I really disliked the Sovereign in 2 (not that they were meant to be likable, but even as a narrative device they were lame, unfunny and visually uninteresting in TWO action sequences) so I kind of appreciated how for all their haughtiness, they were like a gimmicky experiment of the High Evolutionary.

Adam Warlock was a little underfed but he got good laughs in my theater and now he's enough of a clean slate for the next guy to come along and develop him. Which was always necessary, because he won't have a relationship with Thanos or Mar-Vell, but is still a worthwhile cosmic character to introduce.
dreyOO
Not gonna rank them as I kinda enjoy them all for different merits. This one was certainly more emotional which kinda surprised my kids, but I think most of us saw coming. That main bad guy was a freak I sorta wish he had gotten less airtime. I doubt I'll enjoy any of his babbling on rewatches.

Good show overall. Liked how they tied up a lot of threads. Usually Rocket is my favorite character, but this time in favoring Drax. That dude is funny.
jokershady
AG
Holy crap I needed this movie! Straight up needed it!

Yesterday it was all but confirmed that my dad has stage 4 pancreatic cancer…we are technically waiting for results from a biopsy that we'll find out about Monday but knowing what we already know from doctors and some quick google searches…yeah, it's not looking good…my apologies to the very few people who know who I am who could be getting this info first here, but since those few aren't even on Texags anymore I should be ok posting this here...

So we had already planned to take the kids to see this today and I'm already a bit emotional…so needless to say this movie hit me hard…

Obviously Rockets backstory was the star of the show and it did not disappoint. Watching him cry over his dead friends was something I never thought I'd see and now I see why there were tweets about Bradly Cooper being the first actor to win an Academy Award for a CGI character.

And why wasn't THIS GUY playing the High Evolutionary cast as Kang?????? Holy hell this man was intimidating!! He was evil!! He was scary!! He was insane!! But best of all he was BELIEVE-ABLE!! Everytime this guy was on screen I was nervous about what he might do or say.

And the final character arcs they gave for everyone I thought was perfect! Quill goes back to Earth and finds his family. Mantis goes to find her own path (ok that was a little weak but I can let it slide since her brother did the same thing). Drax gets a chance to be a dad again (jeez even that got me emotional). Gamora and Quill finally come to terms that she'll never be "his" Gamora but she understands why he's pursued her. Nebula takes on the roll of helping rebuild Knowhere. And Rocket takes over as the leader of the Guardians.

So many amazing moments!! I might go back and watch it again. And have no idea where I'd rate this one amongst the first 2….but this is definitely top 10 for me for all MCU films and considering how many amazing MCU films there are…..

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.