***** THE MANDALORIAN SEASON 3 Official Thread *****

131,101 Views | 1857 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jokershady
BQRyno
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
veryfuller said:

Also, at the end, I had this thought: What if The Mandalorian of the title isn't Din...but ends up being Grogu at the end? The show is his journey from charge --> foundling --> apprentice --> Mandalorian. He will be the first force wielding Mandalorian in centuries. Just a thought...

This crossed my mind a couple of weeks ago. Similar to TROS. The Skywalker was Rey. I'm pickin up what you're puttin down.
BowSowy
AG
jokershady said:

Dr. Pershing episode seemed to go nowhere since now Gideon is dead as well as the clones….
This was the weirdest one to me. Ultimately this episode established that chick as a spy which served to tell Gideon that the factions of Mandalorians were working together. Okay, fine. But you could've accomplished that with much less than a full episode. And I guess it was cool to see Pershing again, but there was no payoff with him at all. We did get to see Coruscant which was cool.

I'm not one of those who believes they had enough time to react to the BOBF negativity and hit the eject button to shoehorn Mando story in there. But damn, it sure does feel like they should've cut out that Pershing episode and some other filler and spend more time letting the Luke/Grogu story develop.
BQRyno
AG
Pershing + Lizzo episodes in this season = WTF. With only 8 episodes, wasting 2 is confusing.
bobinator
AG
I guess it's on us for expecting the finale to be bigger than it was… but geez.
bobinator
AG
Hasn't this been a popular theory for a long time?
jabberwalkie09
AG
BowSowy said:

jokershady said:

Dr. Pershing episode seemed to go nowhere since now Gideon is dead as well as the clones….
This was the weirdest one to me. Ultimately this episode established that chick as a spy which served to tell Gideon that the factions of Mandalorians were working together. Okay, fine. But you could've accomplished that with much less than a full episode. And I guess it was cool to see Pershing again, but there was no payoff with him at all. We did get to see Coruscant which was cool.

I'm not one of those who believes they had enough time to react to the BOBF negativity and hit the eject button to shoehorn Mando story in there. But damn, it sure does feel like they should've cut out that Pershing episode and some other filler and spend more time letting the Luke/Grogu story develop.
Pershing and Kane will likely build on the larger plot towards the Mando-verse movie. It seemed to me that they were trying to build towards the eventual ST with Palpatine with Gideon having mentioned his clones having the force, I can see that being the eventual outcome there. By extension Kane will eventually give way to Thrawn IMO. The shadow council will have to find out what happened on Mandalore eventually. Might as well have a character we know deliver the news from the heart of the New Republic.
BQRyno
AG
bobinator said:

Hasn't this been a popular theory for a long time?

Heck if I know. I'm not up to speed on the theories. Doesn't surprise me though.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Make the two BOBF Mando episodes into episodes 1-2 of S3, edit down the Pershing stuff and cut it with the dragon episode for one hour long episode, and combine the final two episodes for a 1.5 hour finale, and you've got a much better, lean and mean 8-episode season.
jabberwalkie09
AG
I'm going back a couple pages now, did y'all really drive TCTTS off this thread?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Wow, apparently I missed two whole pages of TC going full aTm.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Hell, Rey jumps out into space with nothing on but her Jedi clothes in TROS. Maybe space in this galaxy is 97% oxygen.

That would explain how you can hear all the lasers and engine noises in space.
The Porkchop Express
AG
I'd take this one for my wall of art.

Feels so good, feelin' good again.
PatAg
AG
Dont let some dummies run you off permanently
TCTTS
AG
PatAg said:

Didnt he say entering upper atmosphere, I dont think the ships were truly out in space.
Didn't Mando pull a movie where he basically had to pressurize his helmet to survive in space at some point in this series already?

Jetpack fight had some awesome visuals leading up to it that made that episode worth watching on its own.

Still...that season just left me wondering why it wasn't good, and I'm now concerned about the quality of the other upcoming shows. Still optimistic and looking forward to it all, and still looking forward to season 4 of this show. Just not being blind to reality either.

The Mandalorian has always felt like Favreau's own, personal, full-time hobby. Yes, Filoni assists him, but for whatever reason the powers that be basically let Favreau do his own thing (save for Kennedy forcing the Grogu reunion, of course), they let him write all the episodes himself (which is extremely rare for a TV show), and basically treat it as if it were Favreau's baby, not theirs. Nothing about the way this series is made is even remotely traditional, and because of that, there seem to be next to no guard rails, and next to no quality control. The fact that the series was a massive hit in its first season likely set a "hands off" precedent as well, in terms of execs giving him notes.

Also, even in Mando's first two seasons, though the overall goal was clearer than in season three, the show still meandered all over the place and didn't feel very focused or propulsive. Whereas you look at every other show on the Star Wars slate, and from the jump they each of them feel far more intentional, like they have more of a reason for existing, a more specific point of view, and more of an endgame they're each heading toward. You watch that Ahsoka trailer, for instance, and you can instantly feel that it's telling a singular story, where everything has been meticulously planned out, connecting points A to B, with an endgame in site, etc. Andor, too is obviously the same way; hyper-focused in its themes, with a clear-cut mission to setup/connect to the first scene of Rogue One. While The Acolyte trailer hints a series that might very well have the most specific/unique vision of the bunch, and even Skeleton Crew is about a group of kids who "get lost in a strange and dangerous galaxy and must find their way home" - i.e. it's stating its exact mission from the start, and knows exactly the story it wants to tell.

Whereas The Mandalorian has always felt like something Favreau is making up as he goes along, to the point where I think in, say, five years, we're going to look back at the story it and TBODF were telling as this kind of weirdo, aimless, fuddy-dud cousin run by Uncle Favreau, with everything else having been made by much stronger voices and auteurs. That's not to say that all of the other series will be successes, it's just that if any of them fail, I don't think it'll be because they fell into the same traps as The Mandalorian.
TCTTS
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

I'm going back a couple pages now, did y'all really drive TCTTS off this thread?

Ha, just had a work dinner tonight, that's all. Trust me, there is nothing personal anyone here can say, on an internet message board, that could ever drive me off. I've only left a thread once, for an extended period of time, and that was voluntarily, from the god forsaken The Last of Us thread from earlier this year.
TCTTS
AG
PatAg said:

Dont let some dummies run you off permanently

PatAg
AG
I could have sworn initially they were attributing a lot of the story to Filoni as well, but maybe he was just more of a consultant to Favreau.
A source for 'cool' things to insert that reference obscure old content.

That said, Favreau DOES know how to generate some iconic and impactful moments
So im not entirely willing to give up on the show either.
ABATTBQ11
AG
BowSowy said:

jokershady said:

Odds are it sets up something else next season. Pershing may be Kane's ticket into the shadow council. Lizzo episode sets up a political battle for the New Republic to officially recognize Mandalore.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, it was Favreau's idea, then Kennedy paired him with Filoni, to serve as his guide/expert. And Filoni has no doubt been massively influential in the process. But it's Favreau who's steering the ship.
The Porkchop Express
AG
TCTTS
AG
Sorry, sir!

Too much negativity and inside baseball!

Will return at once to endlessly celebrating all the winks and nods to the EU and a cartoon!

CondensedFogAggie
BQRyno said:

Pershing + Lizzo episodes in this season = WTF. With only 8 episodes, wasting 2 is confusing.

At least with Pershing we saw an interesting slice of post war life for Imperial veterans. And some pretty sweet shots of Coruscant.

Jack Black and Lizzo was a waste. Even that handing over the vibrating black knife or whatever.
boogieman
AG
BQRyno said:

veryfuller said:

Also, at the end, I had this thought: What if The Mandalorian of the title isn't Din...but ends up being Grogu at the end? The show is his journey from charge --> foundling --> apprentice --> Mandalorian. He will be the first force wielding Mandalorian in centuries. Just a thought...

This crossed my mind a couple of weeks ago. Similar to TROS. The Skywalker was Rey. I'm pickin up what you're puttin down.

Yup. Had that thought as well.

I also think this finale works as a series finale. So it could go either way.
The Porkchop Express
AG
TCTTS said:

Sorry, sir!

Will return at once to endlessly celebrating all the winks and nods to the EU and a cartoon!

Holding different opinions is the entire point of the message board but 30 posts in 24 hours letting everyone know how stupid you found the show and intentionally playing the troll card just makes you look like a dick.

And bad news, Ahsoka is entirely based on "the EU and a cartoon."

caleblyn
Just finished it.

This season was a mess. Way too many open-ended storylines. Pershing was a waste. The Mando spy, a waste. Bo-Katan story, a waste. Even the Grogu storyline is fuzzy and seems to be going nowhere.

This season was not good. I am disappointed.
TCTTS
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

TCTTS said:

Sorry, sir!

Holding different opinions is the entire point of the message board but 30 posts in 24 hours letting everyone know how stupid you found the show and intentionally playing the troll card just makes you look like a dick.

And bad news, Ahsoka is entirely based on "the EU and a cartoon."

Some of you are taking this whole thing waaaaay too seriously. In the wake of a season that most people here seem to consider a let down, I was simply having a little fun "arguing" about space suits in Star Wars. That's it. People have (somehow) legitimately griped about FAR stupider things in this franchise for FAR longer in these threads, yet when I spend a couple hours doing it, it's suddenly the most egregious thing ever, the usual suspects get Big Mad, and the personal attacks come out. When, in reality, we're talking, on the internet, about a television show made for children. Not debating gun control or deciding the debt ceiling.
redline248
AG
One might consider all your posts arguing about that small detail as "taking things too seriously"
Madmarttigan
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

jokershady said:

Did you see a body?

He's coming back.

Please dear lord get a new villain, this one has all the typical villain tropes and has been cheesy enough for 3 seasons.

He was great in breaking bad but the way moff is written and acted just doesn't do it for me.
jeffk
AG
For as goofy as Mando can be at times, it's enjoyable and opened the door to more TV Star Wars series including Andor, which is excellent, and a few upcoming that I'm really excited about.
MROD92
So,
I found season 1 to be as y'all have described it, a western set in space. Whenever Mando walked you could even hear spurs like a spaghetti western. I did not hear spurs at all this season until the end of the finale when he walked into where the Republic pilots were asking for bounty work. I simply presumed it to mean we will be returning to western in space with an adventure of the week for season 4 with maybe mild references to Mandalore
The Porkchop Express
AG
i would guess Mando will go after some of the other folks on the Shadow Council for the New Republic in Season 4. That will allow him to stay away from the Thrawn conflict but keep him in the loop of the greater picture of what the Empire is trying to do, so that when Thrawn returns to the galaxy proper, he can be in the fight and call up the Mando cavalry as well.

This guy in particular had some good fatso with mustache Warlord Zsinj vibes from X-Wing; Wraith Squadron & Iron Fist & The Courtship of Princess Leia.

Prosperdick
AG

So all the ranting about compression suits can we just take a moment and talk about realistic security? And no, I'm not talking about having mouse droids as your security force although it was pretty lame and the bit was aimed squarely at 6-year-olds.

Going back to the original there have been these open access panels that R2, or in this case R5, can just casually roll up to, insert their robot appendage, and control just about damn near every security detail on the premises.

Why on earth would you allow access that easy??? The empire would NEVER have some free and open source software located in random corridors that any droid off the street could manipulate to control their security, especially holding cells to the point that it overrides the panels IN THE ACTUAL CELLS!!!

And before anyone comes back with how dumb they were to have a vulnerable area in the original Death Star, well they retconned that to be done on purpose by Galen Erso.
redline248
AG
The Empire is arrogant enough to think they don't need to secure panels bc no one would ever try (or could ever succeed) getting in far enough to access one.
Prosperdick
AG
redline248 said:

The Empire is arrogant enough to think they don't need to secure panels bc no one would ever try (or could ever succeed) getting in far enough to access one.
Yet they knew it was compromised in A New Hope but continued with the same design? I guess their CISO got blown up with everyone else before they could implement upgraded security features. Apparently the only thing hardened in Star Wars is beskar armor.
powerbelly
AG
Just wait until he learns about star wars time travel

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.