***** THE MANDALORIAN SEASON 3 Official Thread *****

131,315 Views | 1857 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jokershady
jackie childs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
unfortunately, the Force that awakened was Kathleen Kennedy
BenTheGoodAg
AG
It's like they ripped the dialogue straight from Lucas!

Kenobi - "Use the Force, Luke. Let go"
Ice - "It's time to let go"

Kenobi - "I need your help, Luke. She needs your help"
Ice - "The Navy needs Maverick. The Kid needs Maverick"

Kenobi - "Who is more foolish? The fool or the fool who follows him?"
Ice - "Who's the better pilot? You or me?"

Kenobi - *Dies at a critical moment*
Ice - *Dies at a critical moment*
DTP02
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

DTP02 said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

A Newer Hope would have been a better title

A New(ish) Hope would have been truth in advertising.

A Renewed Hope

A Refurbished Hope
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

It's like they ripped the dialogue straight from Lucas!

Kenobi - "Use the Force, Luke. Let go"
Ice - "It's time to let go"

Kenobi - "I need your help, Luke. She needs your help"
Ice - "The Navy needs Maverick. The Kid needs Maverick"

Kenobi - "Who is more foolish? The fool or the fool who follows him?"
Ice - "Who's the better pilot? You or me?"

Kenobi - *Dies at a critical moment*
Ice - *Dies at a critical moment*

Maverick = Kenobi, the wise mentor
Hangman = Han, rival turned friend complete with last minute rescue
Rooster = Luke, both with "dead" fathers who were ace pilots and had a close relationship to the wise mentor

And the most obvious, final mission is almost 1:1 the Death Star trench run.
TCTTS
AG
Hopefully this narrative starts to change after tonight/next week…

powerbelly
AG
I honestly think Andor is clouding our memory of the first season of the Mandalorian.

Overall the show seems pretty consistently aimless and episodic to me.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
powerbelly said:

I honestly think Andor is clouding our memory of the first season of the Mandalorian.

Overall the show seems pretty consistently aimless and episodic to me.

Meh. I'm not a big Star Wars fan. But I loved Andor and I actually enjoyed the first two seasons of Mando, the whole episodic space western was fairly entertaining.

This season has been bad. I bailed after the dumb scene where all the Mandalorians had the really poorly down cosplay fight training scene.

Star Wars is always gonna get Star Wars fans to watch even if it's crap. You guys will gripe but still watch. It's the meh fan like me that will only tune in if it's good TV or film.

The Star Wars universe is fascinating, they don't really do it justice very often IMO.
TCTTS
AG
I disagree completely. If only because the first two seasons hinged on a crystal clear goal, with Mando and Grogu front and center. Now? They're side players in their own show and any goals have been muddled as hell. We've been over all the other reasons why there's been a dip in quality (the forced reunion, it's unfocused thematically as well, etc), I just posted that article as it seems the outcries have finally reached a fever pitch of sorts, especially after last week's episode.

That said, it *does* sound like things finally get back on track tonight, and that people have been responding positively to the preview screening shown at Celebration. So I'm at least looking forward to that, and seeing how they manage to wrap everything up/set the stage for the future of the show.
Saxsoon
AG
I do find it ironic that a lot people wanted focus on other characters than Grogu and Mando.

What a ****ing monkey paw
The Porkchop Express
AG
The Hollywood reporter article is just reporting what other websites are writing and quoting rotten tomato reviews. Do they actually have reporters?
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
C@LAg
The Porkchop Express said:

The Hollywood reporter article is just reporting what other websites are writing and quoting rotten tomato reviews. Do they actually have reporters?
plenty of similar thoughts all over youtube, and the star wars subreddit and twitter and....

so ridiculous to blame this one outlet with running the story
The Porkchop Express
AG
I guess I just expect an established name in journalism to like call TV experts or talk to actual humans to create a story for publication. I'm fine with their opinion of Mando, just find the way the story to be constructed to be pitiful.
TCTTS
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

THR is *reporting* on the growing aggravation people are feeling toward the show. Aggravation expressed via websites, reviews, Rotten Tomatoes reviews, YouTube, etc. This is an incredibly common practice. In this particular instance, it's especially notable because The Mandalorian was essentially universally liked for two seasons and now, suddenly, it's not.
The Porkchop Express
AG
They don't have any real sources. They're just writing what has appeared on other websites. It's not the standard of journalism you would expect from a longstanding publication.

I dont have a problem with the subject. It's just super lazy writing.
TCTTS
AG
I guess I just I don't know what else they're supposed to do for a story like this, or who these sources are supposed to be. It's a story about the declined quality of the show. If I were a critic and they reached out to me for comment, I would simply refer them to my review, which has plenty of quotes they can pull from. Are they supposed to interview someone at Lucasfilm and ask them why the show is so aimless now? I guess they could find some insider who could maybe speculate as to why they *think* the quality has dipped, but that would ultimately be just as arbitrary as all these opinions they're aggregating.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Still not as bad as the ones who write entire articles about a single theory posted on Reddit as if it were an actual scoop.
The Porkchop Express
AG
TCTTS said:

I guess I just I don't know what else they're supposed to do for a story like this, or who these sources are supposed to be. It's a story about the declined quality of the show. If I were a critic and they reached out to me for comment, I would simply refer them to my review, which has plenty of quotes they can pull from. Are they supposed to interview someone at Lucasfilm and ask them why the show is so aimless now? I guess they could find some insider who could maybe speculate as to why they *think* the quality has dipped, but that would ultimately be just as arbitrary as all these opinions they're aggregating.
If you ran CNN, would you cultivate your own sources for stories or would you start every article and newscast with "According to the BBC, Joe Biden forgot his car keys today."

The Hollywood Reporter, in publication for 92 years, should be better than some intern typing in "Mando Season 3 bad reviews" and then writing a summary of what they find and calling it a news story.

The majority of critics of love to be asked to talk about their opinions and give more context and detail. Get them on a 10-minute Zoom call and ask them for more detail, and then you have a fresh take of information that is not something that any 2-bit blogger can find on the Internet, because you went out and actually made contact with the person with the opinion and got more details.

And you absolutely should go to Lucasfilm and ask for a quote about it, because that's fair and balanced journalism. Even if they say no comment, you did your due diligence and went and talked to them. They took a quote from Producer RIck after Bo Katan's upgraded role, but they definitely got that from some other source. They didn't ask the question themselves.

My issue is not with you TC, it's not with anyone having a negative opinion of Mando, it's a free country. But reporters should want to report on news - meaning something no one else has written yet, even if it's just one new quote or one new detail. Writing a summary of what's already out there and adding zero new context or information is just ****ty, unimaginative journalism. The way you feel about ****ty storytelling in movies/TV is the way I feel about it in written pieces from supposedly top publications.
TCTTS
AG
Fair enough.
ABATTBQ11
AG
It's the equivalent of having ChatGPT write the article for you because it's not doing anything original and just aggregating and regurgitating what it finds on the internet or in its training set. Hell, maybe that's what they did.
boogieman
AG
Damn Damn Damn. That was fun!

This episode had a little bit of everything.

Grogu and the "No!" button. LOL

RIP Paz. Hoped you would make it. I wouldn't be mad if they cheated and you somehow survived.
C@LAg
boogieman said:

RIP Paz. Hoped you would make it. I wouldn't be mad if they cheated and you somehow survived.
"somehow, Chad Vizla came back."

someone made the joke a few days ago

"Paz Vizla? You mean Past Vizla".
The Porkchop Express
AG
Esposito is one fantastic villain.

The Praetorian Guard ruthless.

Captain Pelleaon breathed right to life from a 31year old book. That was just beautiful to us old EU fans.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Also I loved the look of the land ship that the refugees had. Shame it got destroyed. Not sure why they decided to drive within 3 feet of the giant monster before swerving.
TCTTS
AG
Actual villains!

With clearly stated goals!

Mandalorian factions coming together!

Well-articulated stakes that affect each side and not just The Problem of the Week.

THESE are the things that should have been established in, say, episode two or three of this season. Instead, there was so much needless wheel spinning just to get here.

For budgetary reasons, obviously they couldn't have given us this much action in one episode, so early in the season. But if they just would have established these opposing forces earlier, and established their respective goals and stakes like they did tonight, they could have drawn this basic story out for so many more episodes - the story so many of us were expecting this season to actually be about - and it would have been so much more engaging.
Kate Beckett
AG
Favreau and Filoni really chose violence and chaos when they wrote Grogu in IG-12, huh? I am living for it. I was laughing so hard I nearly cried.

Also, RIP Paz. I was hoping he would survive.

Can Moff Gideon be treated for Mando imposter syndrome? Give it up dude.

Also calling it now, Grogu gonna save his dad to parallel S2 finale.
TCTTS
AG
The Grogu-nator.
CondensedFogAggie
No No Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
C@LAg
Kate Beckett said:

Favreau and Filoni really chose violence and chaos when they wrote Grogu in IG-12, huh? I am living for it. I was laughing so hard I nearly cried.

Also, RIP Paz. I was hoping he would survive.

Can Moff Gideon be treated for Mando imposter syndrome? Give it up dude.

Also calling it now, Grogu gonna save his dad to parallel S2 finale.
riding a mythosaur with Bo a la Dune,.
CondensedFogAggie

They're really hyping up Grand Admiral Thrawn, by the way.

Would he be the most anticipated non-animation debut of a villain in TV/movie history?

I don't envy the people and writers who have to pull this off. Can't remember if I read Timothy Zahn's books and even I'm hyped.
C@LAg
TCTTS said:

The Grogu-nator.
Krang-u
C@LAg

dammit
Saxsoon
AG
Star Wars was COOKING
The Porkchop Express
AG
TCTTS said:

Actual villains!

Mandalorian factions coming together!

Well-articulated stakes that affect each side and not just The Problem of the Week.

THESE are the things that should have been established in, say, episode two or three of this season. Instead, there was so much needless wheel spinning just to get here.

For budgetary reasons, obviously they couldn't have given us this much action in one episode, so early in the season. But if they just would have established these opposing forces earlier, and established their respective goals and stakes like they did tonight, they could have drawn this basic story out for so many more episodes - the story so many of us were expecting this season to actually be about - and it would have been so much more engaging.

TC being my junior high basketball coach the time I made a game winning shot and the first thing he told me was that I left too much time on the clock.
Saxsoon
jokershady
AG
9.1 on IMDB right now……those dang kids better not have homework tonight…..

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.