***** THE MANDALORIAN SEASON 3 Official Thread *****

131,054 Views | 1857 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jokershady
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jeffk said:

I almost think that Din will want to give Bo the saber at some point but she'll refuse saying she has to win it, but then Din will basically explain that she technically already has.

Haha. Nailed it, suckers.
LB12Diamond
AG
jeffk said:

jeffk said:

I almost think that Din will want to give Bo the saber at some point but she'll refuse saying she has to win it, but then Din will basically explain that she technically already has.

Haha. Nailed it, suckers.

I thought your original response was talking about nailing it.
bobinator
AG

Quote:

I don't think we were every going to get super dark or adult themed anyway... this is Disney.

I don't think that's really a good excuse when Andor is on the same platform, but yeah this show was never trying to be Andor. I do think how good Andor is makes it more frustrating when this show tries to be serious but isn't as good at it though.

I think for me a huge part of it is just the dialogue, there are so many scenes in Andor where the exchanges between the characters are just electric, while on this show at times it feels like the actors are in different rooms saying their lines.
jeffk
AG
The way I see it, Mando basically showed there was an audience for a super-serious, adult-themed, live action SW show… but that this wasn't the production crew that could give us that. Then Andor did what Mando couldn't and basically made glaring the issues with Mando that were always present, but more easily overlooked. Mando walked so Andor could run, but now Mando's walking looks pretty sad and slow.
AliasMan02
AG
It's so funny you mentioned a ME side mission because that was my exact thought.
jeffk
AG
Just one "go talk to ____" after another.
TCTTS
AG
veryfuller said:

I guess I agree from an adult perspective, but the show isn't made just for adults, and kids love the Grogu stuff.

The Mandalorian falls into the same category that Clone Wars, Rebels, and Bad Batch do for me. They are kids shows, simple storytelling with occasionally complexity, that adults can enjoy too. I think since its live action and since we've seen a much more complex narrative show (that is definitely NOT for kids), it makes it seem that they are failing at their objective. But the objective of the show isn't some complex character study about belief / belonging / etc. Its a simple version of that, that even a 5+ year old can kind of track with.

So while it would have been more meaningful for them to be apart for a whole season, you'd be alienating another key demo in the audience by doing that. It's a no win when you are trying to hit all the quadrants of fandom, which essentially is what they are finding out this season. I think those of us who have spent more time in the animated world building they have done just take it all in stride because we know/trust that things pay off and if they don't, well then that episode just wasn't for us.

I'm sorry, but this is nothing but excuse making. There is absolutely no reason that a "kids show" can't also have competent, engaging storytelling. Again, I'm 100% fine with the tone, jokes, characters, the basic story being told here, etc. Its simplicity and side quests and occasional silliness aren't the issue. I don't need a "complex character study, " and I don't know how many more times I have to say that. I just want a clear, consistent arc, and a clear, consistent vision, neither of which this show has. Its themes, plotting, and character arcs are objectively muddled, and all over the place. And executing those things correctly doesn't translate to making a more complex, less kid-friendly show. Not by any means. Doing those things correctly simply makes it a more engaging show, for kids and adults alike.
TCTTS
AG
The fatal flaw of this show was continuing "The Mandalorian" as a series after the season two finale. Mando's arc, from episode 1 to episode 16, was simple, kid-friendly, and most importantly, CLEAR. Which basically amounted to "deliver Grogu to safety." Yes, the show had its faults, but it was still a show that just about everyone - both kids and adults - loved. Because it knew what it was, had a clear arc, a clear goal, and a clear vision. All topped off by a hell of a finale that was both badass (Luke showing up) and an emotional gut punch (Mando saying goodbye to Grogu).

Mando's task was complete, and that show, for all intents and purposes, should have ended there.

At least for a while.

Mando should have then been a secondary character in The Book of Boba Fett, WITHOUT the Grogu reunion. Have him "lost in the wilderness" a bit, but then coming to Boba Fett's aid, essentially the same as he did, just without the Grogu of it all. It's Boba Fett's story, but Mando too finds a purpose again, in whatever way.

Then there should have been a BO-KATAN series after that. Essentially the same story we're getting now, but told from HER point of view. Mando joins that show as well - again, as a secondary character - playing basically the same role, just with clearer themes/direction/vision, a lot of which would have automatically been taken care of by being obvious in telling a Bo story from the jump, not a Mando/Grogu story and also a Bo story.

Meanwhile, during both of these series, we're checking in on Luke and Grogu every so often. Same arc/dilemma we saw in TBOBF, just elongated and spliced up more. Maybe they even have a little adventure together. But essentially, by the end, it's the same result: Grogu's just not feeling it.

Grogu and Mando are then reunited at the end of the Bo-Katan series/season (which ends basically wherever this current season of The Mandalorian will end), and then, finally, we get...

THE MANDALORIANS

A show that from here on out sees them all together, with Mandalore as their new home/home base. Fighting off the emerging First Order, enlisting Boba Fett's help from time to time, etc. Either way, because the marketing is clear, and the show title all-encompassing, it can focus on any or all of their stories, no one has exceptions for something it's not, etc.
bobinator
AG
Grogu is actually a good example of the whole problem.

His only character development recently is having traumatic flashbacks to that time everyone he knows was brutally murdered in a genocidal attack that happened like 20 years ago. Solid kids show plot?
The Porkchop Express
AG

Feels so good, feelin' good again.
The Porkchop Express
AG
I just bought 50 of these from StarWars.com so everyone is getting one in their stocking!

bobinator
AG
I think "slow" isn't the right word. Some people have said that, but it's not quite right.

The big plot does move, it's just baffling sometimes what we choose to spend time on and what we don't.

We spent screen time on Mando hunting down droid parts that he ultimately didn't even need, a weird love story scene just to establish that the Mandalorians that left Bo Katan are a security force for hire which doesn't even end up being true because they find them they're contracted to this planet, etc...

Meanwhile Bo Katan's troops leaving her happens off screen between seasons and the reunion of Grogu and Mando happened in a completely different show altogether.
TCTTS
AG
I've explained MULTIPLE times now why I went back on that. You continuing to point it over and over again out isn't going to keep me from voicing my opinion.

Also, for the most part, I *liked* this last episode, and expressed as much. Same as I've intentionally found something positive each week to express, in addition to my critiques.

Your incessant need to have everyone *only* praise Star Wars will never not be just as annoying as you may find me.

This is a public message board.

We're going to vent when things are bad and praise things when they're good. I'm sorry that bugs you so much.
hunter2012
AG
I guess I'm one of the few that has enjoyed this season. But then again I am invested in this Filoni-verse since I've seen Clone Wars, Rebels, and read several of the books on those same characters. The Mandalorians losing their home home and Bo's goal of winning it back has long been apart of Filoni's story. Regardless the story is much better than the new trilogy trash heap, and I look forward to new episodes whether it's spaghetti western stand alone episodes or not.

I'm still convince that Grogu was only brought back because he sold toys and Disney needed the product promotion and placement. He should still be with Luke for the sake of narrative consistency, period. But if Filoni and Favrou must have him in the show than I trust them to further develop the character. For the future of Star Wars, Grogu has potential to be a new Tarre-Vizla(That is, a Mandalorian Force wielder). I think it would look awesome on screen.
The Porkchop Express
AG
hunter2012 said:

I guess I'm one of the few that has enjoyed this season. But then again I am invested in this Filoni-verse since I've seen Clone Wars, Rebels, and read several of the books on those same characters. The Mandalorians losing their home home and Bo's goal of winning it back has long been apart of Filoni's story. Regardless the story is much better than the new trilogy trash heap, and I look forward to new episodes whether it's spaghetti western stand alone episodes or not.

I'm still convince that Grogu was only brought back because he sold toys and Disney needed the product promotion and placement. He should still be with Luke for the sake of narrative consistency, period. But if Filoni and Favrou must have him in the show than I trust them to further develop the character. For the future of Star Wars, Grogu has potential to be a new Tarre-Vizla(That is, a Mandalorian Force wielder). I think it would look awesome on screen.
You're not. I think most people are digging it some degree.
bobinator
AG
I think my complaints make it seem like I don't enjoy it at all, which isn't the case, I think most of it is good. If anything, how close it gets to being really good is the most frustrating thing. But at least every other episode there's some kind of "wait, WHAT?" moment.

Yesterday's is the handover of the darksaber. Bo Katan reclaiming, or properly claiming for the first time, the darksaber is something this show has built to for A WHILE, and she gets it in a "well actually, this thing happened that none of y'all were there for..." speech?
Lathspell
AG
bobinator said:

Grogu is actually a good example of the whole problem.

His only character development recently is having traumatic flashbacks to that time everyone he knows was brutally murdered in a genocidal attack that happened like 20 years ago. Solid kids show plot?
This is why I loved the idea of Season 2 ending the way it did. I felt the whole Grogu story arc within the Mandalorian was completed, and now we would move on to more stories.

Bringing Grogu back seems like simply a cheap way to get views, but actually detrimental to the future of the series. You will have to either CGI him in the future, or write him off of the show. He can't be a baby forever. If we are comparing lifespans with humans, he is the equivalent of a child between 4 and 5. He should at least be talking, by now.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, I don't disagree with any of that. S3 has felt like a mashup of individual episodes much more than 1 and 2. I don't know if they've run out of good ideas or got too many irons in the fire or if Filoni is not providing the same story-boarding oversight he was earlier in the process. I still tune in each week and enjoy the journey, but there's definitely more plot deadends and head-scratching moments.

Pivoting to The Mandalorians for S3 would have been a fun, novel take. Maybe even going with Bo for the first several episodes before we even see Din and Grogu.
PatAg
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

The Porkchop Express
AG
The Porkchop Express
AG
redline248
AG
Was even one other person thinking how risky it was leaving Grogu in the care of a former imperial while on the droid case?
powerbelly
AG
redline248 said:

Was even one other person thinking how risky it was leaving Grogu in the care of a former imperial while on the droid case?

I was expecting something from them for sure. Either trying to kidnap him or alert the remnant of the empire that is still hunting him.
The Real Napster

I just bought 50 of these from StarWars.com so everyone is getting one in their stocking!

Mathguy64
AG
I say this with all seriousness. If I didn't read this thread I would have had no clue who she was other than someone who couldn't act if she tried. It didn't help that I knew Jack Black and Christopher Lloyd and frankly they were awful. This show is trying too hard.

Clone Wars and more Rebels had great story arcs and dialogue. I don't understand how they can't carry that to live action. It's writing.
AliasMan02
AG
I'm not really a Lizzo fan but I always do get excited for these folks when they get cast because they are obviously so hyped by it.
WES2006AG
AG
redline248 said:

Guess Mando assumed he could just force flip out of any danger he might find himself in.
Saxsoon
AG
Was not expecting Separtists and always love seeing Christopher Lloyd. Dug the whole futuristic city vibe and weirdly wasn't taken out by the guest cameos.

I enjoyed the fun investigation plot line.

Loved the Mandalorian stuff at the end.

Solid episode.
XXXVII
Sorry the cameos are not enough to carry the bad writing and woke DEI casting of this show. This episode was just cringe all over the place.
DeSantis 2024

FJB, FJB, FJB, etc
redline248
AG
Flagged for trolling
jeffk
AG
XXXVII said:

Sorry the cameos are not enough to carry the bad writing and woke DEI casting of this show. This episode was just cringe all over the place.

BINGO!
Saxsoon
AG
XXXVII said:

Cry harder
The Porkchop Express
AG
XXXVII said:

Are you talking about the Whipid / Mon Cal couple?
TCTTS
AG
XXXVII said:

Bad writing, yes. That said, it will forever amaze me how the people complaining about "woke" casting somehow think they're being virtuous, when all it looks like to everyone else is b*tching that your white casts are being polluted. That, and why is this particular casting considered "woke," yet Billy Dee Williams, John Boyega, Forrest Whitaker, Thandiwe Newton, etc aren't? At least be consistent.
XXXVII

XXXVII said:

Are you talking about the Whipid / Mon Cal couple?

DeSantis 2024

FJB, FJB, FJB, etc

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.