***** THE MANDALORIAN SEASON 3 Official Thread *****

131,444 Views | 1857 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jokershady
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fine by me. It doesn't change the fact that the bringing Grogu back so soon was panicked mistake and he should have still been off with Luke this season. In fact, it would have been cool to see Mando give up the Dark Saber to Bo, only to *then* go check in on Grogu and eventually have him decide to leave Luke and come back into the mix.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
I mean, they are setting up the whole cloning storyline, and its clear Moff Gideon will be after him. Maybe they forced him back into the show prematurely to appease execs, but I'm pretty sure they are still settings things up for his character.

I just think you want the show to be something it is never going to be (complex). Its like a fire hose of fan service for all Star Wars fans. Sometimes you get wet, sometimes you don't. Thats the show.
powerbelly
AG
TCTTS said:

Fine by me. It doesn't change the fact that the bringing Grogu back so soon was panicked mistake and he should have still been off with Luke this season. In fact, it would have been cool to see Mando give up the Dark Saber to Bo, only to *then* go check in on Grogu and eventually have him decide to leave Luke and come back into the mix.
I would have loved for the reunion to be the final episode of the season.
The Porkchop Express
AG
TCTTS said:

Well, silver lining, I just read that Jack Black and Lizzo are reprising their characters for Season 2 of Andor.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
TCTTS
AG
I don't at all need the show to be "complex." I just need things to have more of a point, that's all. To be more intentional. Of course Grogu will play into the plot again eventually. I'm merely advocating for the same plot we got, just elongated, so that Grogu and Mando could have been apart longer - so that they both felt that absence and that yearning to be together again - and were *then* reunited at the end of *this* season instead of in a completely separate show.
TCTTS
AG
powerbelly said:

TCTTS said:

I would have loved for the reunion to be the final episode of the season.

Same. Exactly. And the more I think about it, the more it feels like what was likely the original plan. But then someone at Lucasfilm panicked and here we are.

But how cool would it have been to, say, take that Luke/Grogu stuff in TBOBF and instead essentially splice it up into cold opens every episode this season, one scene per episode? And over the course of the season we see Grogu not connecting/vibing with Luke, just like we did, Mando gives up the Dark Saber, goes to check on Grogu, and then Grogu eventually joins Mando and the crew on Mandalore in the final episode of the season, rather than on Tatooine in TBOBF?
Captain Winky
I haven't watched the most recent episode, but the more I hear and see the Mandalorians, the lamer they get. It is starting to turn into Boba Fett where there are rapidly diminishing returns in how much I enjoy seeing them and their story.
LB12Diamond
AG
I'm fine with how they have done it as far as GroGu this season.

I thought it was silly how fast he came back but that is in the past. Now that's he's here, no issue with him being the sentimental extra this season.
The Porkchop Express
AG
I actually like Grogu better as a sidekick rather than the focal point. Otherwise every conflict is grogu ex machina.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
redline248
AG
Quote:

Did anyone else get a huge Canto Bight vibe from the first 80% of the episode?
well, not necessarily, but when I read "The Mandalorian travels to an opulent planet" in the episode description I thought "surely not Canto Bight"
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
6.9 on IMDb. I'm sorry, but how is THAT the worst episode of the show? It's not even the worst of this season.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

6.9 on IMDb. I'm sorry, but how is THAT the worst episode of the show? It's not even the worst of this season.
Because Internet people have 2 default settings: 10 and 0. So that means out of 10 people roughly 7 thought it was a 10 and the other three gave it a 0.
The Porkchop Express
AG
redline248 said:

Quote:

Did anyone else get a huge Canto Bight vibe from the first 80% of the episode?
well, not necessarily, but when I read "The Mandalorian travels to an opulent planet" in the episode description I thought "surely not Canto Bight"
If you've played KOTOR or the Old Republic it had a real Manaan vibe to me, without the water and the Firaxxan sharks.

Super battle droid chase reminded me a lot of Anakin & Obi-Wan pursuing Zam Wessell in AOTC.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

In agreement that this wasn't a particularly terrible episode (relatively speaking, at least), but for it to be so late in the season, it was a super random episode, and I think people are reacting harsher because of that. Somehow, we only have two episodes left this season, hardly anything of substance has happened, and so I get how the side-quest feel of the majority of the episode would be frustrating. I think I'm just numb to the incompetency at this point, but overall I actually found Jack Black and Lizzo to be a fun little distraction, and I also liked some of the aforementioned sci-fi elements as well.
TroyMc
Holy hell this episode sucked. Went back to "the Mandalorian and his zany space adventures." Acting was brutal even with Jack Black and Doc.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Definitely agree that Lizzo cannot act. She should definitely stick to singing/rapping. I've never heard her but I assume she can do that somewhat well in comparison.
CondensedFogAggie
Jack Black was so over the top silly that it made lizzo seem jarringly…. normal. Not sure if its bad acting or directing or both
zooguy96
AG
Whoever Lizzo is: she sucked. That was about the worst acting I've ever seen.

Jack black wasn't much better.

That episode made absolutely no sense.
TCTTS
AG
I don't think I've ever heard the Midnight Boys this pissed and over something in general. A couple of them aren't as critical - and even push back - but overall they really go after the episode and the show in general. This week is definitely starting to feel like a turning point for a portion of Mando fandom…

docb
AG
My son and I thought the episode was good
powerbelly
AG
It was a nice world building episode, reminded me of a one off clone wars episode.

I can see why people don't care for it...

Jack Black and Lizzo were terrible.
bobinator
AG
This episode was a microcosm of my biggest beef with this show, it asks the audience to take it very seriously while at the same time having scenes that are just absurdly silly without pulling either off very well.

After all of the walkabout of the dark saber THAT'S how Bo Katan gets it back? What are we doing here?
Lathspell
AG
The episode wasn't great or anything, but it also wasn't that bad. There was a lot I enjoyed about this episode, despite the various weaknesses.

I like seeing the way different outer rim planets govern themselves, though I still always chuckle at the Star Wars story constraining borders of every planet basically being a 1 mile by 1 mile city. Are all these planets just the size of a small moon? If so, why isn't everyone just bouncing around?

Acting not very good with Lizzo or Jack Black. For Black, I tend to be more forgiving and maybe lean towards me just not liking the direction of that character.

Thought the fight between Bo and Ax was done well. The hand-off of the saber was definitely anti-climatic, though many of us called it after that episode with our comparisons to Harry Potter wand lore. However, this does illustrate problems I see with the writing, this season. If the plan is to have Din be defeated by someone, and then Bo defeats that enemy to save Din, thereby winning her the blade, then that should have been the entire point of a whole episode. Not only that, but other Mandalorians should have been witness to that event, and the writing and filmmaking should have made it a great spectacle and payoff.

This reminds me of the piss-poor handling of Neville Longbottom in the Battle of Hogwarts. In the book, he got an amazing heroic scene in front of all the fighters from both sides, but the movie made him do that with only a couple of people seeing, and with nowhere near the spectacle.
Prosperdick
AG
Fresh Grogu with the bomb lighting,
New man on the Mandalorian Vikings.
The Porkchop Express
AG
How do so many people not know who Lizzo is?
Mathguy64
AG
Here. No clue who that was. Whoever she is she can't act.
redline248
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

How do so many people not know who Lizzo is?
I've heard her name and stuff, but I didn't know it was her until the credits.

I am not the best at keeping up with the current pop culture
The Porkchop Express
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Here. No clue who that was. Whoever she is she can't act.
Madmarttigan
AG
Maybe I shouldn't have read some of this thread but yeah 75% of that episode was terrible, and we advanced the main storyline for 10 minutes.

We have two episodes left and we still don't even have a hint of the main conflict?
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

I don't think I've ever heard the Midnight Boys this pissed and over something in general. A couple of them aren't as critical - and even push back - but overall they really go after the episode and the show in general. This week is definitely starting to feel like a turning point for a portion of Mando fandom…

No idea who these guys are, but that was easily the best episode of this season imo.
They should just let Bryce Dallas Howard direct everything.
also not saying it was perfect, and it still has the overarching problems...but there was so much to like about that episode. Ridiculous and inventive in all the right ways.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Van Lathan does some Rewatchables stuff with Bill Simmons. No idea bout the others.

Agree that BDH really "gets" Star Wars and should be the franchise's first female director of a movie.
oragator
Yeah soft bigotry of low,expectations and all, I read some of the comments here before watching this one and was expecting crap. But I liked it.
As far as where it's going, I said 3 episodes ago or so that it was headed towards them leading the mandalore to reclaim their planet. Still on track for that.

The Porkchop Express
AG
It's not that much unlike the first season. The first 3 episodes got Mando and Grogu together, than was pretty aimless, then the big finish in 7 & 8 with the introduction of Moff Gideon, the big showdown, the intro of the dark saber, etc.

This season we took a few episodes to get the mandalorians on the same page of what they're supposed to be doing and who's running the show, and like clockwork I imagine Gideon and the Empire show up in two balls out episodes to end the year.
Ornithopter
AG
I think the point of this season being a little cobbled together with Grogu brought back too fast and kinda throwing some things off.

It's still fun though. I had figured he was going to give her the dark saber in the episode the cyborg captured him. I think that would have played better.

I dunno, Mando chasing droids and then Bo fighting the other Mandalorian was fun. Good day for the Western in Space

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.