***** THE MANDALORIAN SEASON 3 Official Thread *****

131,248 Views | 1857 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jokershady
ABATTBQ11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kate Beckett said:

That's what I'm thinking too. She obviously has something brewing in that mind of hers.

I dunno. I think with the conversation at the end she's trying to make sense of it all.
combat wombat™
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

It's like $8, cheapskate.

We don't want to give any more money to the degenerates at Disney. Too bad they've bought up Marvel and StarWars.
TCTTS
AG
I'm with you. I don't at all get the sense that Bo is planning something. If anything, she's processing/coming around on "the way." Which is why all this "It's obvious"/"foreshadowing" talk is so odd to me. One of the show's issues is that it's so unintentional/vague with its characterizations and plotting, that anyone can project whatever they want onto whatever's happening. We're all watching the same series, yet half of us see one thing while the other half sees something completely different. It also doesn't help that these particular Mandalorians, as a culture, are incredibly dull, which only adds to the blank slate/projection thing.
TCTTS
AG
combat wombat said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

It's like $8, cheapskate.

We don't want to give any more money to the degenerates at Disney. Too bad they've bought up Marvel and StarWars.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Even though I liked episode 3, I think you could've cut down the doc's story to about 20 minutes, combined episodes 3&4, and cut between the two stories for one great 65 minute episode.
TCTTS
AG
This is the way.
OnlyForNow
AG
I can agree with this.

The possibility is there she shuns the covert for the leadership role and the dark saber, but they aren't going to turn her into the villain.

The armorer's helmet is got to be something, I guess the real thing is was it planned that way from the beginning.
TCTTS
AG
Agreed. I think Bo could still shun them, but she's not *currently* planning on doing so. As of now, she's lost her home, has seen a Mythosaur, and is now thinking maybe these extremists aren't so bad after all. She's having a crisis of faith, so to speak, and is a bit lost in the wilderness. At least that's my interpretation, seeing as how none of this is remotely apparently in the writing.

There could be a really cool story here, of belief or faith or extremism or whatever, with Mando and Bo on opposite sides of the spectrum, where the believer eventually sees that perhaps he and his ilk are too extreme, while the non-believer perhaps comes to learn that having a healthy amount of faith in *something* is good for the soul, is necessary to help lead people, etc. Basically, a grand meeting-in-the-middle/coming together of ideologies, clans, etc. And every once in a while there's a faint glimmer of the show heading in that direction, but as of now I have absolutely no idea if that's truly the case, as the show has otherwise given us next to no indication of its direction, thematically or plot-wise.
TCTTS
AG
I think my frustration is best summed up saying that one week the show feels like it's the story of a man (Mando) who is ultimately supposed to find his own "way"; that his upbringing and his ilk are too extreme/set in their ways, and that he, along with Grogu, are ultimately meant to forge their own path (represented by a Mandalorian and a Jedi finally coming together in a new synthesis of sorts). But then the very next week the show seems to be saying, actually, no, Mando's group is right and just and that cult-like extremism is, in fact, the best way to survive in the galaxy. For two-and-a-half seasons now the show has gone back and forth on these two ideas, though not in a way that feels intentional or is supposed to make you think. Put simply, I can't tell what it's trying to say, what it's trying to be, what its perspective is, etc, and episodes like this week's really underline that aimlessness and lack of focus/intentionality for me.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Here's what the show is about:

Cool people walking in armor:

Laser swords:

A really cute puppet

Crazy monsters

Bad-ass fights

The occasional dose of Apollo Creed

Bad-ass droids

Authenticating 3 movies you strongly dislike.

Providing the connective tissue between the 3 original movies you love and the 3 sequels you want to burn in hell.

Sweet cameos:

Dave Filoni's vision of live-action versions of critically-acclaimed animation that you have chosen not to watch:

And a **** ton of people saying This is the Way.

I am not in any way denying your right to state your opinion, and give critical analysis of any other sort of decision-making that you feel this series should be doing as compared to what it is. I'm not trying to say you're wrong. I'm not trying to say I'm a better fan than you. I'm not trying to do anything sarcastic or mean-spirited or condescending.

But, it's 20 episodes in - 2-1/2 seasons worth of episodes. This is what it is. It's never going to be Andor or Rogue One or The Empire Strikes Back. It's hugely successful as it is. It's never going to be what you want it to be. It might be time to just watch it for the fun and the spectacle.

Feels so good, feelin' good again.
PatAg
AG
You can still want it to be better, and what it lacks is as much a part of the discussion as what is good in it.
TCTTS
AG
And my only real point is that it would be SO EASY to bring all of those admittedly fun, incredible things together, in cohesive harmony, with, like, just 25% better storytelling, most of which comes down to a few narrative decisions here and there, but more importantly, a consistency in THEME (i.e. what is this show trying to SAY)? Which is why it's so endlessly frustrating for me. Because they aren't choices that only a master like Tony Gilroy can execute. They're very, very basic, screenwriting 101 choices, that when left out, render would could otherwise be an incredibly compelling story vague and aimless. Just better setting up motivations here and there (sometimes even with a line or two), underlining [X] more effectively, connecting dots [Y] and [Z] more obviously, or telling two stories at once, etc. No matter how many great special effects or fan servicey moments they stuff this thing with, none of it means a thing without those basic storytelling tenants, and for the life of me I can't figure out why Favreau, Filoni, and Kennedy, to an extent, don't understand them. Especially when so many other writers and filmmakers do, even the vast majority of them under the same, Disney+ umbrella, aimed at the same, basic audiences.

Overall, I'm not trying to be a snob, or demand that this show be something it's not capable of being. I love the look, tone, and basic story being told, and I genuinely wish I could be all-in on everything it's doing. But I can't help that, halfway through season three, I have NO IDEA what any character truly wants, where it's all headed, who the bad guys are, or what its themes are, all of which aren't at all invalid concerns worthy of message board scission. To that end, the very fact that there are so many varying guesses in this thread as to what is happening/just happened, is proof that the filmmakers are failing on that level. I'm sorry, but I will never, ever accept the "turn your brain off" mentality, because that's exactly what allows Hollywood to be the very things so many people here complain about - lazy and unoriginal. We have to demand better, or we'll continue getting more and more undercooked franchise fare. The Mandalorian can be everything you've outlined above - AND - feature good, sound storytelling. It doesn't have to be one or the other.
TCTTS
AG
PatAg said:

You can still want it to be better, and what it lacks is as much a part of the discussion as what is good in it.
CondensedFogAggie
ABATTBQ11 said:

Kate Beckett said:

That's what I'm thinking too. She obviously has something brewing in that mind of hers.

I dunno. I think with the conversation at the end she's trying to make sense of it all.

jeffk
AG
Are Mandalorians colorblind? Because that's the only explanation I can buy for some of their atrocious armor color combinations.
Madmarttigan
AG
My biggest complaint is no one has explained to me if Mandalorians have to have a helmet on during sex.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Obligatory

The Porkchop Express
AG
I imagine there's a Redd Foxx character on some planet with a junkyard full of Mando parts. But if I lived there I would be a little distressed why Geogu and Bo Katan are getting Beskae pieces 12 hours after they showed up!
jeffk
AG
PatAg said:

For sure. I do think tone is important and that's one of the tough parts about written communication (on the internet especially). We're in S3 at this point - the show is what it is and it's not going to change much. The fatal flaws have all been identified and pretty much everyone is well aware of them and yet continuing to watch. Some criticisms are warranted and novel and those are interesting to discuss. Others are surely warranted but no longer novel and just come across as beating a dead wampa at this point. It's fine if folks want keep trodding down those same paths each week, but I think it's rational to expect to receive some pushback too. This is TexAgs after all.
jeffk
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

I imagine there's a Redd Foxx character on some planet with a junkyard full of Mando parts. But if I lived there I would be a little distressed why Geogu and Bo Katan are getting Beskae pieces 12 hours after they showed up!

Sure you've been here five minutes and won a single game of paintball, but here's your new beskar chest plate, you little muppet!
Kate Beckett
AG
Well Grogu has daddy Mando who is blinged out in Beskar, so of course he gets a piece. She probably watched him and said "oh damn".

As for Bo, she apparently did the highest honor of leading a group to save a foundling.
LB12Diamond
AG
Shows had a lot of oops inthis one.

Not complaining, more like, OK

As has already been pointed out.

They sure were lucky that raptor rex bird delayed feeding its kids.

When the kid is first taken. Several of them chase after it. All of them run out fuel. And the one guy says, this is what happens every time. Really, guess they are slow learners.

The whole escape plan was interesting, but hey it worked.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Madmarttigan said:

My biggest complaint is no one has explained to me if Mandalorians have to have a helmet on during sex.
Or how you go to the bathroom when you're the N-1 for 12 hours.
The Porkchop Express
AG

Well damnit, I can't use the Internet correcly anymore.

The Porkchop Express
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

Obligatory

You know that someone named Emily Swallow gives great helmet.

redline248
AG
Quote:

When the kid is first taken. Several of them chase after it. All of them run out fuel. And the one guy says, this is what happens every time. Really, guess they are slow learners.
This is both why the Empire defeated them so easily, and why Bo-Katan will ultimately lead them.

They dumb
Bezmm
Just watched the 3rd episode. Though there are people who find this series pretty boring (especially this season), I like it.
cbr
AG
It's entertaining but definitely random and a little shallow. Whatever that was with the temple rescue was really lame. The actor went through his lines like he was reading q cards for the first time, but in print too small to really read. Grogu was just a peekaboo show. It was a lost opportunity to make an epic scene.

Also, agreed it seemed really odd that the kid/happy meal was fine after 36 hours in a dragon stomach.

And the random **** going on on the beach was just a baffling opportunity for a bad accident.

It's a testament to the sights and sounds of the Sw universe that **** like this is still entertaining.
Hungry Ojos
Yeah, I'm with you on the black Jedi guy. I thought his facial expressions were over the top and his lines weren't rehearsed. But everyone on this thread was acting like he was the second coming of Humphrey Bogart so I stayed quiet.
redline248
AG
Hungry Ojos said:

Yeah, I'm with you on the black Jedi guy. I thought his facial expressions were over the top and his lines weren't rehearsed. But everyone on this thread was acting like he was the second coming of Humphrey Bogart so I stayed quiet.
Enjoying the cameo =/= thinking it was oscar worthy acting. If he was a major, recurring character then I would care more about the acting. We'll probably never see him again.
WES2006AG
AG
Hungry Ojos said:

That somehow seems appropriate for the actor who played the beloved Jar Jar Binks though.
Lathspell
AG
Hungry Ojos said:

I found his lightsaber wielding to be clunky looking. It looked like he was an actor that was onset for 20 minutes and they told him to "swing these light sticks around."

When compared with a Jedi Master scene like this one? We don't even get this chick's name, but her movements are just so freaking awesome.

hurleyag
AG
Based on how we saw Padme and Organa react to the attack on the Jedi temple in RotS, I don't get the Naboo help in evacuating Grogu.

It seems like they wouldn't have enough time to get that organized.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just want to say that although I felt the casting was a little too fan-service-y, I'm really happy for the actor and it seems like most of the fandom has embraced Ahmed. So I enjoy that aspect. Dude had to put up with too much **** for far too long.
The Porkchop Express
AG
https://instagr.am/p/CqGBoyoru9U

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.