***** THE MANDALORIAN SEASON 3 Official Thread *****

131,132 Views | 1857 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jokershady
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Very hyped that it's spring break and I can wake my super fan up at 2 a.m. tomorrow to watch Mando with me.

It's the golden age of parenthood having a kid who loves watching Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and Stranger things with me.

Side note - we watched an episode of Stranger Things last night where character use a phone book and she had 0 idea what is was and asked me if I was making it up when I told her what it was.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
redline248
AG
Isn't it fun to get old? Just wait until they start to make the actual realization we lived in TWO different centuries
The Porkchop Express
AG
She and her sister were big into American Girl for a few years, and she really likes history, but that breakdown was really funny. Like the idea that if you wanted to order a pizza you had to get this giant book out and look up the phone number just baffled her.
double aught
AG
Phone books and newspapers were actually really important.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Really interesting quotes from Giancarlo Esposito about Moff Gideon in Season 3

"Moff Gideon would really like to be a Mandalorian, and there's a reason for it. That's his psychological, real problem. He really wants to be a Mandalorian because the strength and power of the Mandalorians is not necessarily that they are individuals. It's that they are part of a group that have an ideal and a morality. And that to me is really powerful in our story. This journey this guy takes [points to Pedro Pascal] in such a beautiful way is the struggle, and we hear it in his voice and we see it in his body. There's something about duty and being in service and action that galvanizes him to have to do it. And within that, like 'Oh I'm done now, I'm done. But no, because wait a minute, I still have to learn something about who? Me!' And it's phenomenal. And how do you resist that unjaded personality that allows you to see where you came from? How can you resist that? You hate that little child for a minute, you hate that, because it's showing you what you were. And then you became this f*ng warrior. So all of these elements of the story really intrigue me and allow me to be really thankful and grateful to be in this universe."
The Porkchop Express
AG
Looks like I found your birthday present early this year, Spilner!

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I don't get it.
Madmarttigan
AG
All I know is a groaned when she came on screen that we were about to have another adventure of the week. I was thrilled when it didn't go that way.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Poster for your wall!
jokershady
AG
Man this character sucks! Was hoping and hoping she'd get better as this show goes on but nope…..terrible……

Maybe Mando will shoot her
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TXAG 05
AG
I guess Grogus pod is like x wing ladders, they just magically reappear when needed.

He flipped out of it into the ship and immediately took off, but then he was back in it when riding back in Bo's ship.
Saxsoon
AG
I like her
jeffk
AG
Same. I think she's funny.
Kate Beckett
AG
I like her too.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
She reminds me of what they did to Pam's character after they ran out of ideas for her in the office.

Like, hey, just do your best Three Stooges impression.
The Porkchop Express
AG
I think she's fun, but I know she's polarizing AF and if the Internet didn't exist nobody would be so bothered by her. Plus she was in Strangers with Candy so she can do no wrong.
Hungry Ojos
jokershady said:

Man this character sucks! Was hoping and hoping she'd get better as this show goes on but nope…..terrible……

Maybe Mando will shoot her

I'm with you. It's like every Star Wars adaptation decides that it simply HAS to include a comic relief character, that everyone hates, in their movies/shows. This individual is allotted WAY more screen time than she deserves.
Saxsoon
AG
I want an episode of just her ala the mando episodes in BoBF just to spite you all
jeffk
AG
Yes, but wait until right in the middle of the pivotal run of episodes to break away for 40 minutes of mechanic and silly droid hijinx.
AliasMan02
AG
Peli has a BD droid so no complaints.

I actually thought she might sell the BD to Mando to help with his exploration, being that it's an exploration droid.
PatAg
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

I think she's fun, but I know she's polarizing AF and if the Internet didn't exist nobody would be so bothered by her. Plus she was in Strangers with Candy so she can do no wrong.
I love her as an actress, but I think she just doesn't fit.
At least, the way the character is portrayed it doesn't. It's not enough to 'ruin' the show for me at all, but I do wish they had gone another route.

I'll pay the character this compliment, I like that they thought to try to show a human speaking an alien language vs relying on a protocol droid. Anyone that can work with jawas is worth including in the shows/movies.
boogieman
AG
Chapter 19: The Convert

It's a long one. 59 minutes at the start of the stream!
boogieman
AG
Well, half of that episode was unexpected. Felt like a backdoor pilot to another show. I'd watch it, but it's not what I want out of The Mandolarian.
The Porkchop Express
AG
My 11 year old summed that episode up nicely at 254 am : " I never want to watch that episode again."

Great Mando stuff, great mon cal dead pan on the "its a trap" homage but Jesus I don't need the 30 minute walking tour of coruscant just to have Gideon's spy off Dr Pershing so his knowledge dies with him, or that's what I'm assuming was going on.

What a terribly frustrating episode.
Kate Beckett
AG
More Grogu, Bo, and Din please. I understand this is setting up the return of Moff Gideon, but come on
AMW2010
AG
Episode was a huge L… started off really cool, then took a hard left turn Down the drain… the end was cool tho… middle was a snooze fest!!!
CondensedFogAggie

Actually thought the doc parts were really interesting.

Like in Andor, we get to see the reigning government's policies and laws affecting its citizens everyday life. Just a different perspective and makes things relatable somehow. Even if not perfect, can sort of see the stark contrast in New Republic and Empire laws.

Also, those TIE Interceptors are slick.
Kate Beckett
AG
Did anyone notice Grogu trying to say "this is the way" after Bo-Katan and Mando said it?
TCTTS
AG
For three seasons, during Mando & TBOBF, I kept saying that I had never seen a show, like those two, that stuck with the main character for 95% of the runtime each episode, and that it would be so much better if they were constantly cutting back-and-forth between three or four storylines, like all the best TV does. Then Andor finally did exactly that and, whaddayaknow, everyone loved it, due in part the much more staccato, intertwined, and propulsive storytelling.

Here, they *finally* had the opportunity to cut back-and-forth between two storylines, at least, but they somehow managed to screw even that up. When they could have easily cut ten minutes from the Dr. Pershing timeline, given those ten minutes to Mando & Bo, and then cut back-and-forth between them, throughout the episode, resulting in the Pershing storyline feeling like far less of a siphoned-off snoozefest.

That said, the Pershing storyline made absolutely no sense to me, so, ultimately, it probably wouldn't have mattered anyway. If only because the double-crossing woman didn't need Pershing at all, seeing as the only thing he did, ultimately, is pack a few items into a Yeti (a Wookiee?). Granted, the argument could be made that she didn't know exactly which items to pack, but it wasn't a big room and there wasn't a ton of equipment there. If she knew where the lab was, and could access it as easily as she did, why didn't she just pack up basically whatever was laying around into, like, three carrying cases, by herself? And avoid this whole, elaborate amnesty infiltration ploy altogether? Otherwise, why the hell did we need to see all of that, only to incapacitate, if not kill Pershing at the end? It would be one thing if it was obvious Pershing was going to play a larger role going forward, and I guess he still could, but that doesn't appear to be the case, so I have no idea why we had to waste basically an entire episode on him. Especially when the woman could have straight up asked him in the beginning what he would theoretically need from a lab, had that list, and then simply have just killed/disposed of him at that point. Then they wouldn't have to do such a long, dumb episode, with so many leaps of logic, like why the amnesty participants aren't better-tracked/can so easily leave their perimeter.

Ugh.

Honestly, I knew the episode was going to bad the second they explained away Mando's mishap as having fallen into water he didn't expect to be that deep. I seriously laughed out loud at how stupid that was. A) That was the hardest, most violent "fall" in the history of "falls," and B) since when did falling into the deep end of a lake suddenly render someone unconscious, especially someone as skilled as Mondo, who, not to mention, just last episode, established that he could seal his mask off from outside air (and thus, presumably, water). That was the clumsiest, Kramer-est thing ever, and was yet something else that made no damn sense.

Now? Somehow, we're suddenly 40-45 minutes to the *halfway* point of the season, with hardly anything to show for it, and all I can think is that season two of Andor can't get here soon enough.
Ag Since 83
AG
What a dumb episode. Surely they could have accomplshed whatever they needed on the Gideon storyline in about 1/3 of the screen time.
The Porkchop Express
AG
I didn't mind the idea of what was happening on Coruscant, just the length and the amount of "nothing happening" in retrospect.

The episode was chockfull of Legends and other media references, which I always enjoy. The most upfront of those for me was Mount Umate, the exposed mountain peak. it comes up in a Mando-centric episode of Clone Wars and is also prominent in the first High Republic book from a couple of years ago. You could hear a slowed down version of "March of the Resistance" from TFA in the background.

Having slept a few hours, my Positive and Negative list at first blush

Positives:
Mando and Bo vs. the TIE interceptors and bombers. Second great space battle in 3 episodes after basically zero in the first 2 seasons.

Bo Katan tucking the Mythosaur card under her vest. We all suspect she's up to something besides being new BFFs, but this is the first real good look at it. Maybe she's starting to believe in the prophecy considering Din never put eyes on it.

Coruscant - wonderful to see it again in all its glory, looked like the opera house where Palpatine tells Anakin the story of Darth Plagueis the wise, great to see some real bureaucracy at work for the New Republic and how they're using the Empire's resources and staff; lots of fun references, including a couple of Kevin Anderson's Jedi Quest series with Kyp Durron from nearly 30 years ago in terms of the sight-seeing on Coruscant; lots of Mon Cals, which are my favorites; reference to Andor with both where Pershing was living and where he was working - slightly more airy versions of where Henry Thomas was assigned after the fallout in Andor.

Viszla sti;l has a stick up his ass - feels like he's the voice box for what the Armorer might be thinking.

The Living Waters - cool tie back that what she does in the forge starts with the Living Waters.

Negatives

A lot of logic flubs for me, with the most glaring being the New Republic assigning the old Imperials a letter and number combination to be called by, the exact thing that drove stormtroopers like Finn away from the First Order. It's hard to imagine the New Republic doing that kind of de-humanizing.

The underuse of Dr. Pershing - he's a total genius and an eloquent speaker, let's have him work as an administrative assistant?

Lee Isaac Chung - it really feels like they got a multi-Oscar nominated foreign director and nobody wanted to tell him that his episode was 15 minutes too long. They could have cut out Pershing's brushing elbows with the glitterati and his speech and just started with him getting to the apartment complex, cut out the Mount Umate part (which I liked, but only as a reference) and the subway car chase which has happen in 4 million other movies/TV shows and just get them from the apartments to the SD to the re-Nedification process and it would have been a lot more tolerable.

The one time my kid gets to watch it at 2 AM (cuz it's Spring Break) and she was falling asleep halfway through. Boo, says I.

Hungry Ojos
Hmmm, I took it a little differently. The gal was never going to get him to do her bidding in his current state. So she manipulates him into first getting everything he needs to do what she (Moff) wants, then intentionally gets him caught and memory wiped, that way she can have him pick up where he left off with the empire once Gideon returns. And now, he has all the stuff he needs to start working (since they stole it from the ship).
TCTTS
AG
If that's the case, great. Then at least there will have been a point to it all. But it very much looked like she was killing him. At best, it was vague as hell, which is the one thing this show wildly succeeds at being.
Moral High Horse
Would have been nice if that guy's head exploded in the machine. Would have redeemed the episode. This is the way.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.