***** THE MANDALORIAN SEASON 3 Official Thread *****

131,121 Views | 1857 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jokershady
Max Power
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rex Racer said:

PatAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Also I have to disagree with Andor resetting the bar for Mando. Mando already contains several of the most widely loved episodes of any Star Wars content, so they just need to aim for their own bar rather than Andor.
Agreed. A handful of us have basically repeated the same experience, which was starting this episode with Andor fresh in our minds.
They are different kinds of shows, and both are very enjoyable. You just have to not expect one when watching the other.

I'm hoping we get lot of the various Mandalorians receiving a lot of screentime, as I find their plots to currently be the most interesting. Goes without saying anything Grogu related is welcome.
I could do without seeing Carl Weathers character or planet again, but I know that wont be the case.
I'm sure other people like it, and its not hard to just let those scenes go by without it ruining my experience.
Is it me, or is Carl Weathers' acting a little bit over the top?

Faustus
redline248 said:

Imagine 2 mandalorians getting hot and heavy with their helmets on.
Oral sex is a Mandalorian's greatest sin, for which you can only atone by bathing in the living waters of Mandalore, presumably with helmet on. The Empire tried to prevent access to the waters as a public health risk, given how dirty they'd become with all the Mandalorians washing away their guilt.
The Porkchop Express
AG
If Din has to take a vow of celibacy, I bet he as bathing in his own living waters pretty frequently back on the Razor Crest.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
redline248
AG
Now I'm imagining what The Way teaches adolescent Mandalorians about puberty
The Porkchop Express
AG
redline248 said:

Now I'm imagining what The Way teaches adolescent Mandalorians about puberty
My first thought when they give the kid the helmet was, what happens when you outgrow the helmet? How can they possibly measure you for a new one if you can't take it off around other people? You know the big guy Vizla has a huge head, they couldn't just give him the "Adult Male" standard helmet.
redline248
AG
I also wondered about new helmets. Must give them a tape measure and say, go in that room and put the numbers in this datapad.

Or probably just use a droid (boring)
The Porkchop Express
AG
redline248 said:

I also wondered about new helmets. Must give them a tape measure and say, go in that room and put the numbers in this datapad.

Or probably just use a droid (boring)
This joke better make it into the show before it ends.

An L of an Ag
AG
Watched it last night and really enjoyed it. The space battle with the pirates was awesome!

Forgot how much I liked the score of this series.
Scriffer
AG
Watched last night and was underwhelmed after being pretty excited for the premiere.

- opening fight scene didn't make a lot of sense when you have dozens of warriors with jet packs and big blasters, and people start hacking away at close range
- pirate stand off scene just had us kinda laughing
- space battle was cool enough
- pirate dude looked like a character from a 90's Saturday morning show
- Grogu awesome as always

We made the same comments that some on here have made in that it just seemed juvenile / geared to kids which seems a shift from previous sessions that were fun but still reasonably intense.

Seems like they're aiming towards the young crowd and to the deep-lore people who would know references like the hyperspace creatures reference from other series. Not a lot of room left for people like me who loved the originals but haven't gotten into the later stuff.

I'll keep watching though. Still miles better than Boba
Quad Dog
AG
Quote:

- opening fight scene didn't make a lot of sense when you have dozens of warriors with jet packs and big blasters, and people start hacking away at close range
When the guys shot their grappling hooks on the giant monster, my son said "That's a mistake"
redline248
AG
Quad Dog said:

Quote:

When the guys shot their grappling hooks on the giant monster, my son said "That's a mistake"
Smart kid...I can't imagine what they were thinking
Southlake
Man, you guys would complain if your poop sandwich had too much bread.

Just relax, enjoy the show and quit trying to show that you know more than anybody else and you're right all the time…
double aught
AG
Yeah, a lot of nit picky complaints presented as major ones.

Andor has spoiled some of us, understandably.
Ornithopter
AG
They've been reading a lot of Dune and figured it was close enough to riding a Sandworm.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Saxsoon
AG
baaaad baby
The Porkchop Express
AG
Need a Gemstones / Mando crossover where someone tells Grogu it's time to be the baby again
jokershady
AG
Southlake said:

Man, you guys would complain if your poop sandwich had too much bread.

Just relax, enjoy the show and quit trying to show that you know more than anybody else and you're right all the time…
Honestly I'd most likely just be complaining about the poop….

Prosperdick
AG
Just listened to The Watch podcast and Greenwald said something like: C'mon Filoni, you've got a deep bench, do we really need ****ing fraggles to fix the robot.
91_Aggie
AG
Rex Racer said:

PatAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Also I have to disagree with Andor resetting the bar for Mando. Mando already contains several of the most widely loved episodes of any Star Wars content, so they just need to aim for their own bar rather than Andor.
Agreed. A handful of us have basically repeated the same experience, which was starting this episode with Andor fresh in our minds.
They are different kinds of shows, and both are very enjoyable. You just have to not expect one when watching the other.

I'm hoping we get lot of the various Mandalorians receiving a lot of screentime, as I find their plots to currently be the most interesting. Goes without saying anything Grogu related is welcome.
I could do without seeing Carl Weathers character or planet again, but I know that wont be the case.
I'm sure other people like it, and its not hard to just let those scenes go by without it ruining my experience.
Is it me, or is Carl Weathers' acting a little bit over the top?

He is just there for the Craft Services.
oragator
Well I spent my two hours plus going through boba fett. So I guess I am caught up now, but that tarnished this show for me, which I had really liked to this point.
It's like the geniuses at Disney can't stay out of their own way - Solo, the new trilogy, Obi Wan…they finally have something that works, have a tremendous season 2 finale and do stuff like this.
Red Five
AG
Sorry you had to watch a TV show. I know that's rough.
PatAg
AG
Red Five said:

Sorry you had to watch a TV show. I know that's rough.
Sorry you had to read about them having to watch a tv show. I know thats rough
dave94
AG
oragator said:

Well I spent my two hours plus going through boba fett. So I guess I am caught up now, but that tarnished this show for me, which I had really liked to this point.
It's like the geniuses at Disney can't stay out of their own way - Solo, the new trilogy, Obi Wan…they finally have something that works, have a tremendous season 2 finale and do stuff like this.
Wait, now we don't like Solo again? I can't keep up
oragator
I actually didn't mind it, but it didn't add very much to the canon and was not exactly a top end film. If it hadn't been made we wouldn't miss much.
But the broader view of it was that it was sluggish enough sales wise to slow down their making of SW movies, and even that was after Ron Howard was brought in to save it. So it was generally viewed as a failure for Disney.
oragator
Point was that there just aren't that many good shows anymore, even compared to a year or two ago, the new golden age is quickly drying up. So when there is something worth watching, it sucks when they do stupid stuff like this. It makes it more a chore than a joy to watch and defeats the purpose of escapism.
ABATTBQ11
AG
oragator said:

I actually didn't mind it, but it didn't add very much to the canon and was not exactly a top end film. If it hadn't been made we wouldn't miss much.
But the broader view of it was that it was sluggish enough sales wise to slow down their making of SW movies, and even that was after Ron Howard was brought in to save it. So it was generally viewed as a failure for Disney.

It actually lost money. It made a box office just under $400 million on a $275 million budget, but all things considered after marketing costs and theaters' cuts, it was a net loss.
ABATTBQ11
AG
oragator said:

We could see this coming after the first season when Kathleen Kennedy announced a massive slate of new Star Wars projects after seeing how successful The Mandalorian was. They had to commoditize the **** out of it, ASAP.
TCTTS
AG
oragator said:

Point was that there just aren't that many good shows anymore, even compared to a year or two ago, the new golden age is quickly drying up. So when there is something worth watching, it sucks when they do stupid stuff like this. It makes it more a chore than a joy to watch and defeats the purpose of escapism.

I mean, this couldn't be further from the truth...

Andor
Atlanta
Barry
The Bear
Better Call Saul
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Dave
Hacks
House of the Dragon
Industry
The Last of Us
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
Minx
Ozark
Peacemaker
Perry Mason
Reservation Dogs
The Righteous Gemstones
Severance
Shrinking
Slow Horses
Stranger Things
Succession
Ted Lasso
We Own This City
Winning Time
The White Lotus
Yellowjackets

... I could go on and on. The next two months alone will see the return of Dave, Succession, Perry Mason, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Ted Lasso, and Yellowjackets, among a ton of other new and great-looking series. I agree that this whole Mando/TBOBF thing was dumb as hell, but to say there aren't that many good shows anymore is insane. We're in an absolute gluttony of great TV right now.
oragator
even if I take your argument at face value. (And I still believe a few years ago had a lot more new and different stuff especially within all the foreign backlog getting its time in the sun) any one person might like a third or half of any top shows list, just based on personal preference. And then they are spaced over a few years as far as new seasons, and few people have all five or 6 services. so at any one time there might only be a few for any one person. So a good show is still gold for many people.
And maybe that's the problem, they aren't all on Netflix/HBO anymore, you have to have HBO or HBO Max, Starz, ESPN+ (where they stash their documentaries often) Netflix, AppleTv, Hulu, Disney, Paramount etc to get it all. Few people do all that. So even if they are as good as they were, few can see a lot of them.
TCTTS
AG
So your complaint is that more studios are making more good things. And it's a bad thing that all of those good things aren't only on one or two services now? Do you know how crazy that sounds? That, and subscribing to, say, four or five of those services, especially when you factor in cord cutting, isn't as expensive as you're making it out to be.
oragator
That isn't what I said, I said I don't agree with your basic premise. It's literally in the first sentence in the parenthesis. But that for some people there might be fewer options with the decentralizing of storytelling than there was recently and it limits their options. It's not exactly a wild idea. And only 18 percent of households even have 4 services and streaming is only 29 percent of TV time. Barely ahead of network viewing. Even if it's upped from last year it won't be a significant change and it might even be down with the pandemic ending. So either your belief that steaming is truly that great right now is wrong or more viewer money would be invested in it, or it's not as affordable as you believe. Either way, what I said had some validity.
https://www.nielsen.com/news-center/2022/nielsens-state-of-play-report-reveals-that-streaming-is-the-future-but-consumers-are-currently-overwhelmed-by-choice/

But I don't have the desire for either a multi page argument or to blow up the thread further. So you win.
Only posts on this show going forward from me.
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

So your complaint is that more studios are making more good things. And it's a bad thing that all of those good things aren't only on one or two services now? Do you know how crazy that sounds? That, and subscribing to, say, four or five of those services, especially when you factor in cord cutting, isn't as expensive as you're making it out to be.
Slight topic change, but I think there is a real discussion to be had about it being a negative to have the shows split up among 6-7+ streaming services. I would think those of us that get them all are in the minority, and most people probably just have 1-3 at most.
It's weird that people were ok with paying for a cable package, and then adding things like HBO or Showtime as extras, but not ok with doing the same thing by paying for the 6-7 streaming services that replaced it.
It DOES feel like more, and I think its just primarily becuase its not all contained within one spot.
redline248
AG
Do you know what a pain in the ass it is to have to create and keep up with a million logins and passwords?
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, with HBO and Showtime included, I used to pay well over $100/month for DirecTV. Maybe even closer to $150. I dropped DirecTV three years ago, switched to YouTubeTV, and subscribe to six streamers...

$94.98 - YouTubeTV (w/ HBO & Showtime)
$19.99 - Netlfix
$14.99 - Hulu
$10.99 - Disney+
$06.99 - Apple TV+
"Free" - Amazon Prime Video

= $147.94 - TOTAL

So I'm paying basically the same price now as I was back then, except now I have access to all of those incredibly deep streaming libraries, and there's a sh*t ton more new content to choose from. In short, we're getting WAY more for our $$$. Not to mention, you can also cancel each service on a month-to-month basis, and only subscribe when there's something new you want to watch, which is something else we couldn't do prior to streaming.

The only valid "complaint" is having to switch between apps, but even that will be somewhat remedied over the next couple years. Hulu and Disney+ will become one service, Peacock will swallowed up by someone, Showtime has already been absorbed into Paramount+, etc. There's absolutely going to be consolidation, and everything will live on, say, five primary streamers, hardly any different than every great cable show living on HBO, Showtime, FX, and AMC back in the day.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.