***** THE MANDALORIAN SEASON 3 Official Thread *****

131,586 Views | 1857 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jokershady
Kate Beckett
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Everyone said this next episode is where stuff gets real, so we shall see.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

I'll be honest, I didn't realize how much I missed this show until that awesome opening scene. Great to have Mando back.

Definitely a season opener type of episode, but still enjoyed it. Great job setting the table for the rest of the season.

That asteroid dogfight was dope. Shades of AOTC and ESB.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Purrgils!

I have no idea what these are, whether it's from the comics or Rebels, but that's definitely my first time seeing these. Hope there's further explanation on what they are.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You've been complaining about the show for weeks before the season even started, so it definitely seems like you came in wanting to dislike it.

It's the exact same show it's been for two seasons, so I don't know why you'd expect anything different.

Andor was amazing, but that clearly wasn't what this show was ever going to be.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

3. Wake the eff-up, Din, Bo Katan is probably going to try and kill you for the Darksaber.
Probably, but my question is why not do it right then and there when there's nobody else around? I guess she wants an audience?

Edit: Nevermind, probably a bad idea to try it in front of Grogu, knowing what he can do.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Purrgils!

I have no idea what these are, whether it's from the comics or Rebels, but that's definitely my first time seeing these. Hope there's further explanation on what they are.
If you check the YouTube clip I posted earlier this morning, there's a clip of them working in conjunction with Ezra Bridger to defeat Thrawn in the series finale of Rebels.

I know from reading your posts that there are some whales prominently featured in Avatar 2 that have emotions and maybe powers, I'm not really sure. These are creatures that can travel hyperspace and are probably semi-sentinent - a Jedi can "talk" to them and ask for their help, but they don't talk out loud or anything.

Their existence here is likely a big clue to Ahsoka heading to the Unknown Regions in pursuit of Ezra and Thrawn in her series.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This jives with my (and a lot of folks') theory that we're getting an Avengers style team-up to take down Thrawn. Whether it's in Ahsoka, or its own limited series event.

Bring it.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

3. Wake the eff-up, Din, Bo Katan is probably going to try and kill you for the Darksaber.
Probably, but my question is why not do it right then and there when there's nobody else around? I guess she wants an audience?

Edit: Nevermind, probably a bad idea to try it in front of Grogu, knowing what he can do.
I thought the same thing, although she hasn't seen Grogu do anything on screen at least. It seems like there's at least one or two scenes in the trailer that suggest a Mando v Mando battle on Navarro, so perhaps she gathers whatever forces she has and comes looking for it?

Plus him with the Saber and his Beskar - I don't think she could take him 1 on 1. You think her the wrestling chick could have taken an emotionally / physically drained Mando + Cara Dune + Fennec after Luke took Grogu? I bet she was tempted to try it then.
Beat40

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

I thought the same thing, although she hasn't seen Grogu do anything on screen at least. It seems like there's at least one or two scenes in the trailer that suggest a Mando v Mando battle on Navarro, so perhaps she gathers whatever forces she has and comes looking for it?

Plus him with the Saber and his Beskar - I don't think she could take him 1 on 1. You think her the wrestling chick could have taken an emotionally / physically drained Mando + Cara Dune + Fennec after Luke took Grogu? I bet she was tempted to try it then.
So, since I haven't watched any of the cartoon series, which faction of Mandalorians are considered the "good" ones?

I feel like I've been led to believe it's Bo Katan and her crew.
redline248
AG
I would say that's accurate. The group that raised Din are (at least were) some real SOBs, who played a part in Maul killing Bo's sister during the clone wars.
Beat40
redline248 said:

I would say that's accurate. The group that raised Din are (at least were) some real SOBs, who played a part in Maul killing Bo's sister during the clone wars.
Thanks!

I'm excited to see how being on Mandalore affects Din. I have this feeling that Din ends up on Bo's side at the end of the season, or at the very least let's Bo win the dark saber from him to keep it out of hands he considers bad.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Beat40 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

So, since I haven't watched any of the cartoon series, which faction of Mandalorians are considered the "good" ones?

Bo-Katan has been a "good guy" throughout Clone Wars and Rebels in that she fights alongside the Jedi, fights to get rid of Maul, has a moral conscious, and fights against the Empire. She started off in the Death Watch, which is the predecessor to what Mando is in (Children of the Watch), but left it when she didn't agree with their aligning with a criminal empire during the Clone Wars.

She's been regent of Mandalore on 2 different occasions, losing that title twice to Imperial invasion. She was gifted the Dark Saber by Sabine Wren, a Mandalore in the Rebels crew.

She's fought alongside Jedi and clones, and been stung by the Empire many times. The problem now would seem to be that while she and Mando have had common cause in many things, they seem to have different goals.

Mando just wants to bathe in the waters of Lake Minnetonka to get back into the Death Watch, protect Grogu, etc.

Bo-Katan wants the Darksaber and to rule Mando, and he's got the key to that. So clearly something's gotta give.

The Porkchop Express
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Purrgils!

Good explanation of them on IO9

https://gizmodo.com/mandalorian-space-whales-rebels-easter-egg-ahsoka-1850174036
redline248
AG

Beat40 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

Bo-Katan has been a "good guy" throughout Clone Wars and Rebels in that she fights alongside the Jedi, fights to get rid of Maul, has a moral conscious, and fights against the Empire. She started off in the Death Watch, which is the predecessor to what Mando is in (Children of the Watch), but left it when she didn't agree with their aligning with a criminal empire during the Clone Wars.

She's been regent of Mandalore on 2 different occasions, losing that title twice to Imperial invasion. She was gifted the Dark Saber by Sabine Wren, a Mandalore in the Rebels crew.

She's fought alongside Jedi and clones, and been stung by the Empire many times. The problem now would seem to be that while she and Mando have had common cause in many things, they seem to have different goals.

Mando just wants to bathe in the waters of Lake Minnetonka to get back into the Death Watch, protect Grogu, etc.

Bo-Katan wants the Darksaber and to rule Mando, and he's got the key to that. So clearly something's gotta give.

The funny thing, irony even, is how Bo will ridicule the rigidity of Mando's Way, yet is also rigid in her belief of the need to claim the Darksaber.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yep. Just like this...

Beat40
Thanks!

You said this:

"Mando just wants to bathe in the waters of Lake Minnetonka to get back into the Death Watch, protect Grogu, etc.

Bo-Katan wants the Darksaber and to rule Mando, and he's got the key to that. So clearly something's gotta give."

I agree. I think Mando's journey to bathe in the waters will lead him to realize the origins of the Children of the Watch or lead to some revelation what causes him to confront his being in the Children of the Watch.

I think Din is will either align with Bo, or at minimum "lose" to Bo so the Dark Saber is in hands of the good side rather than the bad by season's end.
The Porkchop Express
AG
The fact that he found some sort of Mandalorian relic suggests that there's probably more history out there. If he were to uncover that Death Watch aligned with a criminal gang, conspired to take Mandalore from its rightful rulers, etc., it would presumably shake Din to the core considering he's frequently chose what's right over what is "The Way' on numerous occasions - taking back The Child from the Imps, taking off his helmet to access the Imp database, and then again to say goodbye to Grogu.

The Watch destablized Mandalore so much that it was easy pickings for the Empire. That's going to be a real gut punch when he finds it out.

Don't know if they'll include it in the cannon, but the Death Watch previously started Mandalorian Civil War before the Clone Wars against a group called the True Mandalorians. They trick a group of Jedi led by Dooku into attacking the True Mandos. The only survivor was Jango Fett, who tracked and killed Tor Viszla for revenge. That part is all in the comics, and I'm unsure if it still counts.
redline248
AG
The question about "who is good and bad" is pretty fascinating, b/c so far, we haven't seen the children of the watch doing anything we might think is bad, or evil. Their history, though, is pretty riddled with bad actions.

Is the Armorer, who appears to be their leader, bad? The guy with the mini-gun like blaster is a Vizsla, I think, and his family were agitators when Mandalore was striving for a peaceful existence. He's been kind of used as a yin to Mando's yang, mostly to give the audience a reason to not be 100% into the Way, which even Din obviiously isn't 100% bought into. (even if he doesn't realize it, yet).

---------------------------------------

Bo-Katan, on the other hand, has for the most part fought against the Empire, separtists, and Maul. Her goal is to reunite and lead the Mandalorians as her sister did. But, knowing that the Watch faction believe that the Dark Saber can only be won in combat, she's probably going to become a villain of sorts for Mando.

I somewhat wonder if this season will explore all 3 pieces - Mando, Bo-Katan, the Armorer - beginning to question their own beliefs about what is the right way.

In reality, though, Mandalore's warrior history is probably too engrained in all of them to come to some middle ground. For example, in the Clone Wars there were tons of non-combatant Mandalorians living as pacifists. Where are they? All dead? If the rest are all the warrior clans, do they even have any hope?
The Porkchop Express
AG
Also to consider are that the armorer definitely seemed to be In Clone Wars Season 7 on Coruscant with Bo-Katan and Ursa Wren and that her red chest plate and horned helmet suggest she was a Mandalorian who sided with Maul after he won the Darksaber. Perhaps she continues to wear it to atone for picking Maul over her own people? It feels like she has a lot more Intel than she is sharing.
redline248
AG
The similarity of her helmet to Maul have been briefly brought up in past season threads, but I have not made the connection to the CW episodes, yet. I want to check it out, but don't have time to watch 3 episodes right now.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Tailgate88
AG
He really seems like a great guy IRL.
Saxsoon
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Purrgils!

Rebels. Purgils were the originators of being able to navigate hyperspace. All of manmade hyperspace engines were basically recreations of what these space whales can organically do
Saxsoon
AG
I had nothing to complain about

Pedro stay winning pal. This 4 month stretch is gonna sear you into the public consciousness if it hadn't happened already
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

You've been complaining about the show for weeks before the season even started, so it definitely seems like you came in wanting to dislike it.

It's the exact same show it's been for two seasons, so I don't know why you'd expect anything different.

Andor was amazing, but that clearly wasn't what this show was ever going to be.

This was my issue with the episode. We're in season three now and it's still the Exact. Same. Show. They took an incredibly bold step by breaking up Mando and Grogu, one that had me genuinely excited that the show could change and evolve going forward, but then retconned it almost immediately. And now it's as if we're back to square one, opening with the umpteenth time we've seen the horned Mandalorian woman forging beskar, she and Mando have what was nearly the exact same convo they had in TBOBF, then we visit the same planet we've been to a dozen times prior (just with a fresh coat of paint), and now Mando is attempting to retcon one of the best "deaths" of the series with IG-11, which reeks of same stuff as undoing Chewie's death in The Rise of Skywalker. Everything about this episode felt like a season one redo, except Mando and Grogu are together now "just because," and Mando's primary motivation is to redeem himself for a cult that everyone but him can see is stupid and fruitless. Throw in how cheesy and stilted it all felt, and I don't see how anyone can objectively say that after last night's episode it doesn't feel like a retread.

THAT SAID…

I'm truly hoping, and somewhat optimistic that it's a purposeful misdirect - or, rather, designed to lull us into a familiarity, only to swerve into something badass and thematically interesting. Because this show…

Quote:

"Mando just wants to bathe in the waters of Lake Minnetonka to get back into the Death Watch, protect Grogu, etc.

Bo-Katan wants the Darksaber and to rule Mando, and he's got the key to that. So clearly something's gotta give."

I agree. I think Mando's journey to bathe in the waters will lead him to realize the origins of the Children of the Watch or lead to some revelation what causes him to confront his being in the Children of the Watch.

I think Din is will either align with Bo, or at minimum "lose" to Bo so the Dark Saber is in hands of the good side rather than the bad by season's end.
Quote:

I somewhat wonder if this season will explore all 3 pieces - Mando, Bo-Katan, the Armorer - beginning to question their own beliefs about what is the right way.

… sounds awesome. If they can manage to clearly delineate these three competing perspectives/goals, with thematic resonance, having it all come to a head in dramatic, emotional fashion, I would be all in. And then maybe these factions will set aside their differences to untie against a common enemy - say, the emergence of the First Order or whoever - which would be so cool to see.

I don't know that Favreau has the skill to pull all of that off, but I'm not giving up on the show/him by any means, and am definitely rooting for something along those lines. I'd love nothing more than to see it happen.
oragator

I watched season 2 and purposely avoided everything on season 3 until the premiere so I could see how the Grogu story came back together because the season 2 ending was so great and I didn't want spoilers…only to find out after being baffled watching this and reading up that I need to go back and watch nearly 6 hours of another show I have little interest in to find out. I even avoided this thread because this place always had theories that end up being at least partially right.
Guarantee I am not even remotely alone in being disappointed.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Fyi you can skip episodes 1-4.

Should be maybe 90 minutes for 5-7, tops. Matter of fact you could probably get away with skipping 7 too, and infer the rest from there.
Lathspell
AG
redline248 said:

Beat40 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

The funny thing, irony even, is how Bo will ridicule the rigidity of Mando's Way, yet is also rigid in her belief of the need to claim the Darksaber.

You are completely missing the point.

It is not Bo-Katan who is rigid in that belief, it is the rigidity of the rest of the Mandalorians in that belief that would cause them to follow her. Her whole goal is to lead the Mandalorians. If she does not gain possession of the dark saber through defeating the previous owner, then the Mandalorians will not follow her.

That is a pretty big distinction.
TCTTS
AG
oragator said:

I watched season 2 and purposely avoided everything on season 3 until the premiere so I could see how the Grogu story came back together because the season 2 ending was so great and I didn't want spoilers…only to find out after being baffled watching this and reading up that I need to go back and watch nearly 6 hours of another show I have little interest in to find out. I even avoided this thread because this place always had theories that end up being at least partially right.
Guarantee I am not even remotely alone in being disappointed.

It's hilarious now how many people this is happening to. At no fault of your own, mind you. It's just funny how many posters told me this wasn't going to be an issue, that anyone who watched Mando had watched TBOBF, etc. Now? It honestly feels like 50-50, which is more than even I was expecting. It was especially weird/surprising when the "previously on" for this latest episode didn't even touch on the reunion. That, and they called this "Chapter 17." Seeing as 16 was the season two finale, a whole hell of a lot happened between 16 and 17 that's going to continue confusing future viewers months/years from now.
Lathspell
AG
Overall, I enjoyed the episode for what it was, and was happy to see Mando, again. However, so little happened in this episode that it felt like a part one of a two part season beginning. They really should have released both episodes together, or just made the first episode much longer.

Also, am I the only one who is fascinated by the Mando smith? I'm always psyched to see her on screen and want more. Who ever plays her does a great job with her mere presence, tone, cadence, and air of command without even showing her face.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Fyi you can skip episodes 1-4.

Should be maybe 90 minutes for 5-7, tops. Matter of fact you could probably get away with skipping 7 too, and infer the rest from there.

Or watch any of like 5 million YouTube wrapups that are probably as short as 5 minutes long.
The Porkchop Express
AG
The actress is super hot
TCTTS
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

redline248 said:

Beat40 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

You are completely missing the point.

It is not Bo-Katan who is rigid in that belief, it is the rigidity of the rest of the Mandalorians in that belief that would cause them to follow her. Her whole goal is to lead the Mandalorians. If she does not gain possession of the dark saber through defeating the previous owner, then the Mandalorians will not follow her.

That is a pretty big distinction.

It was interesting how Bo seemingly mocked this idea now (that they'd blindly follow whoever had the dark saber). I got the distinct impression she's become completely disillusioned by tradition. Which could make for some nice dramatic irony, if right when she finally sees through it - at how dumb a tradition like that is - she finally comes in possession of the saber. Almost as if she had to get to that point mentally to be "worthy" of it.
Lathspell
AG

The actress is super hot
I just looked up. I didn't realize it was her from SEAL Team. Well, she does a fantastic job of playing the Armorer and, in contrast to all the arguments about the frumpy leader in The Last of Us, I completely believe her as the leader or matriarch of this group. She definitely gives that aura of a woman men would follow.
oragator
As for the episode, the repetitive nature of the plot(s) didn't bother me. And the armorer kicking it off was fine, she's the moral center of the clan, so recentering to start the year was ok.
I just wish more had happened, waiting two years for a setup episode was a bit rough. But that's probably still me bitter that I didn't get the grogu plot lol.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.