***** THE MANDALORIAN SEASON 3 Official Thread *****

131,043 Views | 1857 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jokershady
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Do I need to have watched TBOBB to understand S3?
Lathspell
AG
Ghost of Bisbee said:

It really is worth watching one of two of those Mando episodes. They are more "The Mandalorian" focused and have a lot of great moments. Definitely worth the watch, imo. They are literally side stories featuring Mando.
TCTTS
AG
Ghost of Bisbee said:

The two or three (I can't remember how many) Mando-centric episodes are absolutely essential, unfortunately, to understanding what's going on in S3 of Mando.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
boogieman
AG
Chapter 17: The Apostate!

Let's Go!
PatAg
AG
Hmm
The Porkchop Express
AG
What an incredible tease for Ahsoka with Grogu seeing the Purrgils in hyperspace!
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, I'll do everyone a favor a spare this thread any more negative thoughts this season. I'm afraid Andor did exactly what I thought it might do and made this show even more cheesy in comparison. We're back to stilted dialogue, task-of-the-week plots, motivations that don't make a whole lot of sense, forced reunions, circular/retread plotting, mustache twirling villains, and basically something that feels like it's made explicitly for 14-year-old boys. I'll keep watching, but only casually. That, and I don't want to harsh Porkchop's mellow.

jokershady
AG
This was my fear as well….haven't watched yet but…..Dangit!
The Collective
AG
My plan is to just binge later. I don't even have Disney + right now. It is pretty shocking to me that there is new SW material, and I'm so meh about it.
Rex Racer
AG
Madmarttigan said:

Not gonna lie, in the world we live in with the MCU being so huge and interconnected, I'm really confused why you are nitpicking Mando/Star Wars so hard for required watching of other shows to catch up.

Just wait until we get 3 episodes of Boba and the Vespa gang in the middle of season three of The Mandalorian!
Ag Since 83
AG
I thought it was a decent setup episode. Very different from Andor but that's fine. I like this show for the Mando/Baby Yoda relationship and them going on an adventure together.

A couple of the alien designs seemed a little too cartoony for me. Looked like they belonged in Guardians of the Galaxy rather than this show.
Beat40
I guess my thought had always been that Mando is a western and this is pretty much what westerns do.

The other thing is we're watching a show about a guy who belongs to a a group who believes they should never take their helmet off in front of others who are ultimately a part of another group who believes a special lightsaber will either unify them or curse them.

It's a pretty wacky premise from the start.

Andor was so, so good, but it isn't a western.
Kate Beckett
AG
Enjoyed the episode!

Also has me itching to get started on my A&M themed Mando armor.
Beat40
But, that doesn't mean the dialogue couldn't be much, much better.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Kate Beckett said:

Enjoyed the episode!

Also has me itching to get started on my A&M themed Mando armor.

You have to post updates if you're doing this!
redline248
AG
Felt like a pilot episode, to me. Oh well, I'm sure there are big things in store.

I agree that the pirate captain looked like it belongs in Guardians...what was he even supposed to be?
twilly
AG
Looked like a molded version of Pizza the Hut from Spaceballs

Ranger fans you're not dreaming! The Rangers are the World Series Champions!
Kate Beckett
AG
Will do. Won't be getting started for a few weeks.
jeffk
AG
TCTTS said:

Yeah, I'll do everyone a favor a spare this thread any more negative thoughts this season. I'm afraid Andor did exactly what I thought it might do and made this show even more cheesy in comparison. We're back to stilted dialogue, task-of-the-week plots, motivations that don't make a whole lot of sense, forced reunions, circular/retread plotting, mustache twirling villains, and basically something that feels like it's made explicitly for 14-year-old boys. I'll keep watching, but only casually. That, and I don't want to harsh Porkchop's mellow.

I understand your point, but also didn't you enjoy the first couple of seasons of Mando? There's always been problems with this series, but it's also been a lot of fun. But maybe I only know how to watch casually.
jeffk
AG
It is interesting that Mandalorian architecture looks like it belongs on Halo.
bluefire579
AG
Beat40 said:

I guess my thought had always been that Mando is a western and this is pretty much what westerns do.

The other thing is we're watching a show about a guy who belongs to a a group who believes they should never take their helmet off in front of others who are ultimately a part of another group who believes a special lightsaber will either unify them or curse them.

It's a pretty wacky premise from the start.

Andor was so, so good, but it isn't a western.
This. The only comparison between the two is they are set in the Star Wars universe. Andor is a gritty, tense spy thriller that shows the dark side of the early days of the Rebellion, something that takes the next step from a movie that was clearly geared toward adults. Mandalorian is a western that plays into the more expansive connective tissue of Star Wars as a whole and is a vehicle to expand on the immediate post-Empire years in a way we didn't get with the sequel trilogy. It also continues much of what you get from the movies themselves, which is some goofiness intertwined with more serious themes.

I wouldn't put this episode amongst the best of the series, but it was decent enough. Particularly loved seeing the Purrgil when they were in hyperspace, getting us set for Ahsoka, it seems.

I will say, I keep waiting for them to bring in Hondo every time I hear mention of pirates. Gotta think he shows up in one of these series at some point.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Wizard moments

1. The total misdirect on the opening scene. I was 1,000% sure I was watching young Din get his helmet, until real Din showed up to save the day.

2. As I blathered about in the middle of the night, the lovely Rebels reference to the purrgils - whale-like creatures that can negotiate hyperspace. If you haven't watched Rebels, they are an essential part of the series finale. The main character, Ezra Bridger, can communicate with animals through the Force (like Grogu) and uses the purrgils to force Thrawn's attack fleet to jump into hyperspace to points unknown.

3. Greef Karga doing economic reform work on Nevarro, and even better, handling his own **** vs. Vane the pirate.

4. Space dogfight. Seeing how lethal a ship of the N-1's speed and maneuverability can be.

5. Grogu with the Anzellians. His desire to treat them like dolls was pretty funny.

6. These guys clearly love the Terminator; half of IG-88 was straight outta the first Terminator.

That smells stinkawitz moments

1. If you're a Mando with a jet pack there's no way in hell you aren't blasting off as soon as the 300 foot crocodile shows up.

2. The Pirate King. As said by others, he looked more than a little nuts. Reminds me of something from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

3. Wake the eff-up, Din, Bo Katan is probably going to try and kill you for the Darksaber.

redline248
AG
Especially after sitting around a giant castle with no one but droids for company, stewing in all her frustration and failures.
LB12Diamond
AG
Surprised GroGu's animation is still so bad. I figured they would have cleaned that up by now.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Purrgils!

Beat40
I think they've shown they can go serious/dark with The Mandalorian with the Bill Burr scene. I'm hoping once Mando gets to Mandalore, we really get into the two factions and see Din wrestle with where he belongs.

Mandalore could be a fantastic opportunity to kind of deconstruct Din a little bit and then build him back up. I hope they take the opportunity.
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

Thats what my 'hmm' meant.
I've decided to just watch this show for fun, and do my best to turn off any of the critical part of my brain. Which, for me is not an insult to the show in any way. I just had subconsciously approached this episode with ANdor fresh in my mind and I needed to remind myself to recalibrate to the kind of show it is. Its not the same kind as Andor, and it doesnt need to be.
Which I think is what you mean by watch casually
This show does LOOK amazing still, or I thought so. I think they did a good job of setting up the initial plot points we can expect to see
PatAg
AG
I liked how they handled the hyperspace scene. If you watched the cartoons, you know what you are seeing.

If you didnt, the scene plays as Grogu seeing it due to being force sensitive, and then maybe getting scared and going down to be safe with Mando.
jeffk
AG
LB12Diamond said:

Surprised GroGu's animation is still so bad. I figured they would have cleaned that up by now.

The puppetry?
The Porkchop Express
AG
jeffk said:

LB12Diamond said:

The puppetry?
It's not a guy in a suit?
Beat40
That's how I'm watching it too. It's purely entertainment. It's bad guys vs good guys in a post empire world on the outer rim, and honestly, there is surprisingly more death than I would have figured going into this series.

For me, I didn't watch Rebels or Clone Wars, so I don't know much about Mandalore. The exposition is fine for me in this first episode and those last 3 of BOBF.

I hope the next episode or the one after Din gets to Mandalore, because that is when my personal expectations are for this season to level up.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.