2023 Books Read

53,572 Views | 527 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Clavell
TexAg1822
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm currently reading The Martian. Project Hail Mary is next on the list for me.

Really enjoying Andy Weir's work so far
bluefire579
AG
YouBet said:

bluefire579 said:

bangobango said:

bluefire579 said:

Finished The Poppy War the other night. That book definitely puts the grim in grimdark fantasy. Well written, though there were jumps that I wish were a bit more fleshed out. Like I said earlier in this thread, definitely going to need a palate cleanser before the next one in the series.

Up next is The Splendid and the Vile by Erik Larson

Currently Reading:
The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell
The Splendid and the VIle by Erik Larson

Finished:
The Library by Casey White (3/5)
Black Hawk Down by Mark Bowden (4/5)
City of Brass by S.A. Chakraborty (3.5/5)
The King of Elfland's Daughter by Lord Dunsany (3/5)
The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (4.5/5)
Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (3.5/5)
Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad (4/5)
Hunter's Run by GRRM, et al (4/5)
The Poppy War by R.F. Kuang (4.5/5)

How is Last Kingdom?
I'm enjoying it. It's written like a man writing out his own biography, so it kind of has this flow of more detailed events happening between summarizations of the time between, but Cornwell manages to write it in a very engaging way, weaving it into a very fascinating and tumultuous time in British history. It's also interesting having fairly recently played Assassin's Creed Valhalla, which has a lot of overlap in both time period and characters, and seeing both the parallels and deviations between the two.
I'm playing AC:Valhalla right now and that has been interesting. Almost feels like you are playing a game in that book series.
It really does. To the point where I wonder if their design team was reading for reference or inspiration.
bluefire579
AG
So it's been a while since my last update. Turns out my kindle really doesn't like Heir to the Empire, so I've had to work around using my phone or PC to get bits and pieces of reading in. In the meantime, I've finished a few more of the Saxon Stories books and am reading another one of them. I'll probably take a break from those because the kindle price increases dramatically, and I have certain qualms about what I'll pay for a kindle book.

As far as a review, I find each of them to be fairly consistent. Not classics, and not really breaking any molds in narrative or surprises, but fun books that tell a good story with a very fascinating historical time period framing it all.

Currently Reading:
The Splendid and the Vile by Erik Larson
Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zahn
The Burning Land by Bernard Cornwell

Finished:
The Library by Casey White (3/5)
Black Hawk Down by Mark Bowden (4/5)
City of Brass by S.A. Chakraborty (3.5/5)
The King of Elfland's Daughter by Lord Dunsany (3/5)
The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (4.5/5)
Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (3.5/5)
Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad (4/5)
Hunter's Run by GRRM, et al (4/5)
The Poppy War by R.F. Kuang (4.5/5)
The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell (4/5)
The Pale Horseman by Bernard Cornwell (4/5)
The Lords of the North by Bernard Cornwell (4/5)
Sword Song by Bernard Cornwell (4/5)
YouBet
AG
Lot of Cornwall right now. I started The Archers Tale on flight to vacation.
13B
Eliminatus said:

I'm doing it. Put it off long enough. I will face my fears.

Picking up book one, Malazan Book of the Fallen.

May the gods have mercy on me.
Good luck! I had a very hard time keeping up with what was going on. Every time I got to liking a character, they were killed off. That being said, I will try once more. Memories of Ice is in line to be read.
Claude!
13B said:

Eliminatus said:

Good luck! I had a very hard time keeping up with what was going on. Every time I got to liking a character, they were killed off. That being said, I will try once more. Memories of Ice is in line to be read.
War is hell, as they say.
TexAg1822
AG
Finished off The Martian by Weir today. Of course followed it with the movie this evening.

Next on the list is Project Hail Mary and Wool, the first book in the Silo series by Hugh Howey
Rudyjax
AG
The Martian is my favorite book and movie combo.
Eliminatus
AG
13B said:

Eliminatus said:

Book one down!

It was definitely good but yes, can already see how convoluted and complex the story will likely get. A LOT of new concepts and ideas to get used to. There were several times I had to stop and backtrack a bit to ensure I didn't miss anything. Still sure I missed a bunch.

Starting book two tomorrow.
Oyster DuPree
AG
Martin Chuzzlewit: F-
TimsParents
S
Finally read Mark Twain's the Diaries of Adam and Eve
Gig'Em & God Bless
StinkyPinky
AG
Rudyjax said:

I wish I would have had read the book before the movie.
Rudyjax
AG
StinkyPinky said:

Rudyjax said:

I saw a trailer for the movie on Texags and saw it was based on a book. I immediately downloaded and read the book.
Malachi Constant
AG
Rudyjax said:

StinkyPinky said:

Rudyjax said:

I saw a trailer for the movie on Texags and saw it was based on a book. I immediately downloaded and read the book.
I was reading the book when I saw the movie trailer and it spoiled a key element of the book!
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I was watching the movie and then my book fell open to the last page, spoiling the ending for me.
Rudyjax
AG
Malachi Constant said:

Rudyjax said:

StinkyPinky said:

Rudyjax said:

I was reading the book when I saw the movie trailer and it spoiled a key element of the book!

Mutiny!
Philo B 93
I finished Hyperion by Dan Simmons. That is one complicated book to read. I had to grab the family dictionary on more than a few occasions. Hegira, Hegemony, Reef.... I know a bunch of new words. I also found out that the 481 pages is only the first half of the story, and it ends in a huge cliff hanger.

This book is always listed as a top 20 Sci Fi book of all time. I enjoyed it.
StinkyPinky
AG
Philo B 93 said:

I finished Hyperion by Dan Simmons. That is one complicated book to read. I had to grab the family dictionary on more than a few occasions. Hegira, Hegemony, Reef.... I know a bunch of new words. I also found out that the 481 pages is only the first half of the story, and it ends in a huge cliff hanger.

This book is always listed as a top 20 Sci Fi book of all time. I enjoyed it.

I've had it on the list for quite a while. Does show up often as top Sci-Fi books ever written. Also have heard lots of negatives so had pushed it down the list several times.
StinkyPinky
AG
Malachi Constant said:

Rudyjax said:

StinkyPinky said:

Rudyjax said:

Ooh, that would have sucked!
Eliminatus
AG
I really need to give Hyperion another shot. I tried a few years ago but just couldn't get into it. Maybe just wasn't the right time in my life at that time for an in depth new world like that.

Still tackling Malazan book two currently but also rediscovered I have a Switch and reliving my youth of classic JRPGs.

I also am entering my final stages of shaping up my personal library. The last move I did really highlighted how bloated it had gotten. Something a little over 1500 titles but a lot of it what I called my cheap mass market garbage sci-fi/fantasy and similar stuff. Moving it all was such a pain and have been purging and rethinking it all. Taking the much more select approach now. Down to about a third now but a lot more hardbacks and nicer editions over what few mass markets I kept. Moving much of the old fluff to digital and keeping my nicer editions for physical and the rest went away. Much happier now. Library looks better and is smaller and more wieldy of course.
Rudyjax
AG
I tried Hyperion after this thread and I just couldn't get into it. I want to read and relax and not have to worry about made up words and thesaurus words.
Rudyjax
AG
Malachi Constant said:

Rudyjax said:

StinkyPinky said:

Rudyjax said:

I remember someone posting this.
ddugat
AG
loma_vista78 said:

Just picked up and started the first book of the Harry Bosch series. Pretty entertaining so far. Has anyone read the books before?

I've read all of the "Bosch universe". Ready to snap up the next.
Rocagnante
AG
Three Body Problem. Great sci-fi novel. Worth the hype in my opinion.
Dr. Mephisto
AG
Rudyjax said:

I tried Hyperion after this thread and I just couldn't get into it. I want to read and relax and not have to worry about made up words and thesaurus words.

I get it, no problem, but I still say Hyperion is one of the best Sci-fi books out there. You'll just have to wait until your mind is right to get through your hesitancy.

Sometimes you just have to be in the mood.

Now, as to what you wrote, if you want to disengage your thinker and just be entertained, like a movie, then I recommend The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.

The author himself says the books are "popcorn", but he says he's shooting for the best popcorn out there.

I would lay down at midnight and say I was going to only read one chapter. Four chapters later, it's 3:30 am, and I'm going to be tired the next day, but super ready to read the next chapter.

These books are urban fantasy, and have been talked about a ton on here. Give it a shot if Hyperion is making you concentrate too much.
Philo B 93
I've always wanted to read more science fiction, but over the years I've realized I'm a dialogue guy. I like to open a book and see lots of "quoted" lines or a first person perspective, which I consider to be constant dialogue. Elmore Leonard is great for conversations between characters, and Robert B Parker (Spencer) is great for first person. However, half the books I've read this year are sci-fi / fantasy, including "Hyperion" and "Project Hail Mary". Andy Weir likes first person, which makes that a lot easier for me.

I'm taking a break from sci-fi for a few books and going kindergarten entertainment level. My next book is "Tales From Margaritaville" by Jimmy Buffett, but first I'll finish "Snake: Autobiography of Ken Stabler".

"Snake" was written in 1986 (right in the middle of Reagan, Schwarzenegger, and Stallone) by a jock from the South who played quarterback and won the Superbowl in 1977. I don't think you could find a more shocking book based on today's sensitivities. That guy liked drinking beer, having sex, and committing misdemeanors. Even though it is true history, today it sounds as far-fetched as some of the fantasy / sci-fi I've read. Can't say I'd recommend it for everyone, but I'm enjoying the hell out of it.
Rudyjax
AG
Dr. Mephisto said:

Rudyjax said:

Now, as to what you wrote, if you want to disengage your thinker and just be entertained, like a movie, then I recommend The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.

I read the first one, not a fan of supernatural.
Malachi Constant
AG
Halfway through Project Hail Mary now. I love how the book is 85% science exposition.
Agristotle
AG
I'm a dialogue, first person fan too. I'm familiar with Leonard, tell me where to start on Parker's works, please.
Rudyjax
AG
Agristotle said:

I'm a dialogue, first person fan too. I'm familiar with Leonard, tell me where to start on Parker's works, please.

Yes! Me three.

And I prefer character driven over plot driven.
Flatlander
Philo B 93 said:

I've always wanted to read more science fiction, but over the years I've realized I'm a dialogue guy.

The Expanse is a great sci-fi series with really good dialog and character development. Not first-person, but follows the character-PoV-per-chapter format.
Al Bula
AG
I'm on a re-read of the Dune series. Nearly wrapped up Dune, and I can say that the only Dune character (from the recent movie) I picture as one in the book is Javier Bardem as Stilgar. Gurney will forever be Sir Patrick Steward and Hawat will forever be Freddie Jones.

Probably a thread derail, but the entirety of the Dune serious* is simply amazing.

* - Excludes Brian Herbert/Kevin J. Anderson garbage.
Clavell
AG
Ok, to explain my choices they are mostly $1-$3 Kindle deals. So many books reason don't need to read when first come out.

1st Quarter Books:
1) "Babel: An Arcane History" by R. F. Kuang (C+)
2) "Never" by Ken Follet (B+)
3) "The Passion of Cleopatra" by Anne Rice (C-)
4) "Exodus" by Leon Uris (B+)
5) "Lost Boy Lost Girl" by Peter Straub (C)
6) "The Cabinet of Dr. Leng" by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child (C)

2nd Quarter:
7) "The Evening and the Morning" by Ken Follett. A prequel to "The Pillars of the Earth" (B)

8) "The Leopard" by Jo Nesbo (Harry Hole #8). Good Nordic detective series (B)

9) "The Naturalist" by Andrew Mayne. Ok detective novel (C)

10) "The Art Restorer" by Julian Sanchez. A follow up to "The Antiquarian". A novel about novelist writing a novel based on his solving a mystery. Like his writing. (A-)

11) "Tatiana" by Martin Cruz Smith (Arcady Renko #8). Russian police detective series (B+)

12) "The Dillinger Days" by John Toland. While main focus is Dillinger also covers the other infamous of the 1930s (B)

13) "Master and Commander" by Patrick O'Brian (Aubrey & Maturin #1) Series given to me by widow of friend. Too much nautical lingo for me. Not sure will read more. (C)

14) "Bulfinch's Mythology - The Age of Fable" by Thomas Bulfinch. Covers Greek, Roman, Nordic, Egyptian and Asian. Informative, but dry. Think Cliff notes (B-)

15) - 18) "End Times" series (6 books in series)
1- "Rise of the Undead" Walking Dead Australia (B-)
2- "The Wasteland" Walking Dead repetitive (C+) almost gave up
3- "Blood and Salt" Walking Dead meets Telepaths (B-)
4- "Destroyer of Worlds" Walking Dead meets War of the Worlds (B+)
AG
Just finished:
Billion Dollar Whale: The Man Who Fooled Wall Street, Hollywood, and the World - This had great reviews but I found it fairly boring. Just makes you hate bankers and realize how easy it is to steal money in developing nations.

Up Next:
The Boys in the Boat: The True Story of an American Team's Epic Journey to Win Gold at the 1936 Olympics - This is a recommendation from the girlfriend so we shall see!

Previous books this year:
Gourmet Rhapsody
Dubliners
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Demon Copperhead
Project Hail Mary
The Brothers: John Foster Dulles, Allen Dulles & Their Secret World War
Zorrie
The Immortal Irishman: The Irish Revolutionary Who Became an American Hero
Breakfast at Tiffany's
An L of an Ag
AG
Just finished my reread of the entire Hitchhiker Guide series. Used to read it every couple of years. This is the first time in 5 years.

Also true first book I've finished since last August. Haven't really been able to read for pleasure much in the last 3 years or so. Used to read a ton.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.