2023 Books Read

55,441 Views | 533 Replies | Last: 26 days ago by Chipotlemonger
bangobango
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Dog Lord said:

Elantris by Brandon Sanderson
Mistborn 1: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson in-progress

Absolutely loved Elantris. The only bad thing is that I want more. Was considering reading the short stories/novellas for the Cosmere later but immediately ordered Arcanum Unbounded so I can get more Elantris. I really really hope he does a true sequel someday. He did say "as of yet" to it not having a true sequel in the postscript, so I guess there is hope.

Now, on to Mistborn.

I always really liked Elantris, too. Most Sanderson fans think it is the weakest, though. I think it's 100x better than Warbreaker.
Roll the Bones
AG
Wrapped up the Tom Clancy/Marc Cameron book, Red Winter and it was pretty good! It is set in cold war era Berlin, just a few months after the Hunt for Red October. It was fun to revisit the young Jack Ryan, Mary Pat Foley, John Clark, etc. I hope Cameron does more of those throwback stories. A

Now have two novels going:

Preston/Child's latest Pendergast novel, The Cabinet of Dr. Leng. About half way through.

Brad Taylor's new Pike Logan novel, The Devil's Ransom.
713nervy
AG
I didn't know this thread existed. What a bunch of nerds.
Eliminatus
AG
I think I mentioned last year that I was finally going to attempt the Malazan series. Had the giant omnibus version on Kindle and damn me if it was not daunting as hell I would legitimately read for like five or six hours to progress 1%. And I am not a slow reader. It was….humbling and I was struggling.

I have since acquired the first few physical books and having those smaller chunks have helped immensely. Trying to chug through a 3.5 million word single document was somehow less enjoyable to me and the constant reminder of the sheer size and how much I had left kept taking me out of the story.

Conversely, I just finished book 1 and it was so much better somehow.

Funny how the mind works sometimes. Just a new mental awareness update from me.
RED AG 98
AG
RED AG 98 said:

1984 (Orwell) - A+

Animal Farm (Orwell) - A

The Screwtape Letters (CS Lewis) - A+

Project Hail Mary (Weir) - A+

James Moriarty Consulting Criminal (Weir) - B

The Egg and Other Stories (Weir) - B+

The Black Echo: Bosch 1 - A-

Out of the Silent Planet: Ransom Trilogy, Book 1 by CS Lewis - B

2001 (Clarke) - A+
Journey to the Center of the Earth (Verne) - A

Great story telling. I love Verne's descriptive and colorful language. Immensely more enjoyable then Brendan Fraser film a decade or so ago .
Roll the Bones
AG
Roll the Bones said:

Wrapped up the Tom Clancy/Marc Cameron book, Red Winter and it was pretty good! It is set in cold war era Berlin, just a few months after the Hunt for Red October. It was fun to revisit the young Jack Ryan, Mary Pat Foley, John Clark, etc. I hope Cameron does more of those throwback stories. A

Now have two novels going:

Preston/Child's latest Pendergast novel, The Cabinet of Dr. Leng. About half way through.

Brad Taylor's new Pike Logan novel, The Devil's Ransom.

Ok, the Cabinet of Dr. Leng was a crazy, great story. Unfortunately it ended in a cliff hanger and sets up another novel. Apparently it will be a 4 book storyline with the next book being the fourth and final. If you have not read the earlier novels I would not recommend jumping into this one. It would not make a great deal of sense and the authors do not include a foreward/recap of the story. Rated a solid A.

Now starting Sins of the Father by C.G. Cooper. This is the 14th book in the Corps Justice series.

Still in progress, Brad Taylor's new Pike Logan novel, The Devil's Ransom.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
So far this year I've read the following for the first time.

Tress of the Emerald Seas - Brandon Sanderson 8/10
The Gunslinger (Dark Tower Volume 1) - Stephen King 5/10
The Drawing of the Three (Dark Tower Volume 1) - Stephen King 7/10
mrsbeer05
AG
Just finished listening to the first Murderbot book. I will say I'm on wait-list for book two in Libby.

B- : the world building needed some help, but I think it will come in other books.
AgLiving06
I never keep up with this, but going to try to this year.

1. Words of Radiance - Brandon Sanderson
2. Oathbringer - Brandon Sanderson

Both books are rereads that I'm doing in preparation for Tress.

MaroonStain
AG
713nervy said:

I didn't know this thread existed. What a bunch of nerds.

Been going annually for about 15 years now.... Maybe a few years later?
lurker76
Jinx said:

Dr. Mephisto said:

Jinx said:

I had the Murderbot diaries recommended to me and I'm getting through them faster than I'd thought (didnt realize how short they were). Taking a break from them with another quick read but not sure what I'll be up to next.

Been considering learning a bit about Arthurian Legend, anyone have a good "starter" for that rabbit hole?

I stumbled upon the Murderbot Fiaries and loved the 1st 2. Couldn't find the other anywhere, bookstores, etc.

Turned a coworker on to them, and he went medieval and found all of them.

Read them all inside a few weeks after that.

He LOVED Murderbot! And I recommend them to anyone who loves sarcasm, sci-fi, and self depreciating humor.

Also, the first 5 books are free on Kindle Unlimited. 6 is out, and 7 will be out this year I think (for anyone interested)
The new Murderbot book, System Collapse, will be released on November 14, and is available pre-sale now on Amazon. My daughter got me started on the series and I love it. They are fun reading. I've recommended them to several others and they also love them.
Rosie11
AG
Can't wait for next Murderbot book! Red Rising book 6 coming out in May.

Currently:
Altered Traits by Daniel Goleman
Hero of Ages by Sanderson

Finished:
The long way to a small, angry planet by Becky Chambers
Sea of Tranquility by Emily St. John Mandel
We'll of ascension by Sanderson
bluefire579
AG
Really enjoyed Black Hawk Down, though did have to reread some passages with how the guys in the different squads are kind of rapid fired at you. Started The King of Elfland's Daughter, which I only first heard of recently, but apparently influenced a ton of mid-century sci-fi and fantasy authors.

Currently Reading:
City of Brass by S.A. Chakraborty]
The King of Elfland's Daughter by Lord Dunsany

Finished:
The Library by Casey White (3/5)
Black Hawk Down by Mark Bowden (4/5)
Dr. Mephisto
AG
Thr Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons: A+. Superb follow up to Hyperion. Simmons does his homework. Never mails it in.

Beginning: The Magus by John Fowles.
Robert L. Peters
Grimms Fairy Tales
In the Buddha's Words
Charles Hickson Knows
Came in the mail today...

UFO Crash Retrievals

Status Report III Amassing the Evidence

By Leonard Stringfield June 1982
Our thoughts on the current controlled EXTRATERRESTRIAL reality disclosure process and related US GOV cover-up? Once the uneasy, contagious giggling subsides, how will our civilization and the mislead sheep adapt to this publicly known reality? Are the good Shepherds withholding the truth in our best interest? Perhaps multiple species are involved?
bluefire579
AG
Finished both my current reads in the past 24 hours. King of Elfland's Daughter was fine, read very much like a long fairy tale with lots of flowery language, a bit much even for the era in which it was written. City of Brass I really wanted to like. The worldbuilding in particular was good, but the narrative was pretty disjointed. On the fence about whether I want to pick up the next book in that trilogy. Either way, onto the next ones.

Currently Reading:
The Poppy War by R.F. Kuang
The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde

Finished:
City of Brass by S.A. Chakraborty (3.5/5)
The King of Elfland's Daughter by Lord Dunsany (3/5)
Claude!
I really liked King of Elfland's Daughter. If you haven't, give Dunsany's The Gods of Pegana a try. It's less a fairy tale and more a telling of myths, but I kind of dug it.

Finished Measuring What Matters about OKRs. I need to find a new book here soon, probably a history book.
713nervy
AG
January 2023
Unless otherwise stated with **, assume it's romance with at least one explicit sex scene - and I'm shameless about it, so don't give me any lip.

Really Good
  • **The Midnight Library by Matt Haig
  • Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover
  • The Spanish Love Deception by Elena Armas
  • **Born A Crime by Trevor Noah
Good
  • It Happened One Summer by Tessa Bailey
  • Hook, Line, and Sinker by Tessa Bailey
  • Falling Into You by Jasinda Wilder
  • Priest by Sierra Simone

Okay
  • **The School for Good and Evil: A Crystal of Time, book 5 by Soman Chainani
  • **The School for Good and Evil: One True King, book 6 by Soman Chainani
  • Fix Her Up by Tessa Bailey
  • Protecting What's His by Tessa Bailey
  • Bared to You by Sylvia Day
  • Alpha by Jasinda Wilder
  • Falling Into Us by Jasinda Wilder
  • The Unhoneymooners by Christina Lauren
Jinx
I recently started getting into romance as well (last year). Book Lovers (Emily Henry) was my introduction and boy oh boy did I discover a whole new universe when I sought out more. It was eye opening to discover that romance did not equal some Fabio looking half dressed guy on the cover.

I dont have the confidence to be shameless yet, maybe someday...
713nervy
AG
I get it. I enjoyed that one too! I really really really like the romance books with 2-3 good scenes and the rest as story. Lately I've been reading ones where 50% of the book is sex and I'm just like …oh cool…snooze… But what I REALLY appreciate is how books like Book Lovers are using artistic book covers vs. two naked people on the front. A tad more discreet.

I especially appreciate that in times like right now when I'm binging on that genre pretty exclusively and all my friends moms are my Goodreads friends, lol.
kwammer
January 2023
A Gentleman in Moscow
Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow

enjoyed both
bluefire579
AG
Thanks, I'll check it out
mrsbeer05
AG
bluefire579 said:

Finished both my current reads in the past 24 hours. King of Elfland's Daughter was fine, read very much like a long fairy tale with lots of flowery language, a bit much even for the era in which it was written. City of Brass I really wanted to like. The worldbuilding in particular was good, but the narrative was pretty disjointed. On the fence about whether I want to pick up the next book in that trilogy. Either way, onto the next ones.

Currently Reading:
The Poppy War by R.F. Kuang
The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde

Finished:
City of Brass by S.A. Chakraborty (3.5/5)
The King of Elfland's Daughter by Lord Dunsany (3/5)

Jasper Fforde in particular the Thursday Next series is a absolute favorite of mine
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

So far this year I've read the following for the first time.

Tress of the Emerald Seas - Brandon Sanderson 8/10
The Gunslinger (Dark Tower Volume 1) - Stephen King 5/10
The Drawing of the Three (Dark Tower Volume 1) - Stephen King 7/10

The Wastelands (Dark Tower Volume 3) - Stephen King 8/10

Wizard and Glass (Dark Tower Volume 4) - Stephen King 9/10

Ok, I was doubting whether I was going to finish this series after book 2. I thought it was good, but really wasn't impressed with the first book other than if I need to really trip balls sometime in the future. The third and the 4th book really change with much more action. The 4th especially is great, where we finally get some details on Roland's backstory. I can't imagine waiting 26 years for that. The only other Stephen King book I've read is Eyes of The Dragon, but I've managed to pick up certain Easter eggs from other book references from culture.

Excited for book 5!
Capybara
Well The Shards is probably Bret's best book to date. Next, I'm either going to start The Kindly Ones by Jonathan Littell or Confessions of an English Opium-Eater by Thomas De Quincey.
Claude!
Starting a biography on Frank Hamer.
Malachi Constant
AG
Eyes of the Dragon by SK is a really solid book.
13B
13B said:

Blood of Elves: The Witcher Book 1, Andrzej Sapkowski: A-
Brotherhood of the Wolf: The Runelords Book 2,David Farland: B+
Wizardborn: The Runelords Book 3, David Farland: B+
The Lair of Bones: The Runelords Book 4, David Farland: A-
Son of the Black Sword: Saga of the Forgotten Warrior Book 1, Larry Correia: A
Crystal City:Tales of Alvin Maker Book 6, Orson Scott Card A-
Homeland: Legend of Drizzt Book 1 (Audible), R.A. Salvatore: A
The Bone Witch: The Bone Witch Book 1 (Audible), Rin Chupeco: A
The Heart Forger: The Bone Witch Book 2 (Audible), Rin Chupeco: A
The Shadow Glass: The Bone Witch Book 3 (Audible), Rin Chupeco: A- (She tried to ruin a really good Trilogy but overall the story was really good, just this last book had some unnecessary crap that added nothing to the story)
Ghosts of Zenith: Lost Planet Homicide (Audible Novella), Larry Correie: A
G.I.Bro
Reread Mistborn Era 2 books 1-3, then read The Lost Metal
Yesterday finished SP1: Tress and the Emerald Sea
Eliminatus
AG
G.I.Bro said:

Reread Mistborn Era 2 books 1-3, then read The Lost Metal
Yesterday finished SP1: Tress and the Emerald Sea

This is my exact plan starting this weekend but with Tress following afterwards.

Having to spend a LOT of time on job learning stuff currently and it is pissing me off. I think I have read one book for pleasure in the past 3 weeks.
Philo B 93
I've read through the last 3 years of "Books Read" threads, and there are some patterns.

The most popular books are: 1.) everything written by Brandon Sanderson, 2.) "Empire of the Summer Moon", and 3.) "Project Hail Mary" by Andy Weir (although there is a strong sentiment that "The Martian" is better).

Its very helpful when people rate books they've read. Just making a list of titles and authors is mostly meaningless to the reader.

Its even more helpful when we comment on books read, be it good or bad. I don't mind spending $15 on a book, but I hate wasting 8 hours on a bad book when my trusted colleagues at Texags could have warned me.

The books listed over the last few years are a majority sci-fi / fantasy. Where are the Harlan Coben, Stuart Woods, James Patterson, and Robert B. Parker readers? Doesn't anyone buy books at the airport? (Although Stuart Woods books might as well come with pictures to color, in my opinion).

I read 20 to 30 books per year, but its a very eclectic list compared to everyone else. I don't favor one genre at all. Thanks to these threads, I have read "Empire of the Summer Moon"- good, but long and exhausting, "Project Hail Mary" - I actually cheered out loud at one point while reading, and I'm about to start "Elantris" - I hope you all haven't mislead me!

Claude!
Consolidating my 2023 list:
  • Washington's Immortals by Patrick O'Donnell - in-depth read on the Revolution through the lens of the First Maryland Regiment, which fought in a ton of major battles. Very good.
  • It Wasn't So Jolly by Thomas Baker - history of the 90th Bomb Group in WW2. Very exhaustive and the author wears his prejudices on his sleeve, but engaging and informative.
  • Unfinished Tales of Numenor and Middle-Earth by JRR Tolkien - stories gathered and edited by Christopher Tolkien, along with his commentary and his notes. Interesting for Tolkien fans, but not a must-read.
  • Atomic Habits by James Clear - self-help style book about creating significant life changes through the adoption of small, atomic-level habits. Good for a read and provides some good insight, but not earth-shattering.
  • Time Enough for Love by Robert Heinlein - weird book about the oldest man in the (future) galaxy. Part sci-fi, part pioneer tale, and part love story, with a disturbing dose of incest (sort of). Not one of Heinlein's best; Methuseleh's Children, with the same main character, is much better.
  • Measuring What Matters by John Doerr - setting corporate goals via OKRs (Objectives as measured by Key Results), with plenty of testimonials/use cases by major companies. Quite good.
  • Texas Ranger by John Boessenecker - biography of Frank Hamer, legendary Texas lawman and the man who led the effort to stop Bonnie & Clyde. Highly recommended and engaging read - the author clearly admires Hamer, but doesn't shy away from the man's faults.
  • Bitter Gold Hearts by Glen Cook [in process] - hard-boiled detective story set in a fantasy world. Tough for me to give an unbiased recommendation, as I love both Glen Cook and detective fiction. Cook's writing style is not complicated and isn't for everyone, but I really enjoy this one.
mrsbeer05
AG
Five Decembers by James Kestrel- A+
Set at the end of 1941 in Hawaii. Winner of the 2022 Edgar Award for Best Novel.
This is very much in the style of 1940s film noir detective stories. I think what I enjoyed most was the old school detective work where the main character had to actually figure everything out.

The Bullet That Missed by Richard Osman (Book #3 of Thursday Murder Club)- A
This series is very sweet and I love that it shows that there is a hell of a lot of life in older age. The mystery in this one was not my favorite, but it definitely added more depth to the characters.

Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life by Anne Lamott- B-
This was recommended by a professor group I am in. It is focused on fiction writing and I was not aware of that before I started; I write research articles. I do think if fiction is your focus the advice is clear and probably helpful.

Bravey: Essays on Chasing a Big Life by Alexi Pappas- B+
I've followed Pappas on Instagram for several years and love her take on running and life. In this book, she is brutally honest about her life and struggles. As someone much older than her and who has not faced similar mental health issues, I didn't really connect with her message. However, I think this would be a great book for younger women (pre-teen - 20s).
Jinx
Picked up my reading by a ton the last quarter of 2022 and hoping to keep better track this year. I doubt anyone will be interested in some of my reads but I'm throwing them out there anyways for me to keep track of.

2023 - Completed
January
King of Faerie (Stariel: Book 4) - A.J. Lancaster
A Rake of His Own (A Stariel Novel) - A.J. Lancaster
All Systems Red (The Murderbot Diaries #1) - Martha Wells
Artificial Condition (The Murderbot Diaries #2)
Rogue Protocol (The Murderbot Diaries #3)
Exit Strategy (The Murderbot Diaries #4)
The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F--- - Mark Manson
Network Effect (The Murderbot Diaries #5)

February
Elantris - Brandon Sanderson
Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow - Gabriel Zevin

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.