2023 Books Read

52,817 Views | 527 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Clavell
Dr. Mephisto
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yesterday I started The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons.

Hyperion I finished last year. It's a straight A piece of science fiction. Highly recommend.

What are you reading this year?

(Please star posts if their review made you interested in reading the book!)
Roll the Bones
AG
I'm in the middle of Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series. About 80% through book 2. Awesome stuff!

Also about half way through City on Fire by Don Winslow. Mistborn is dominating my attention though.

(I always have one book going on my Kindle and another simultaneously in hard copy.)
An L of an Ag
AG
The Hyperion books are awesome. Might be time to reread that series. Thanks!
Maveric
AG
An Echo of Things to Come by James Islington. It is book 2 of the Licanius Trilogy. Pretty good so far.
C@LAg
reading about 12-15 books on Minecraft, as I like to learn tips and look at the pictures.

Should finish all by EOD Thursday.
c-jags
I started and got about 30% of Empire of the Summer Moon over Christmas and today. Really enjoying it.

Right before that I finished Pillars of the Earth. Tough and brutal read but I really liked it.
Claude!
Just finished Washington's Immortals by Patrick O'Donnell, a history of the Revolution loosely through the lens of the Maryland contingent of the Continental Army.

When reading histories of the Revolution, I'm constantly surprised by the repeated quotes about how poorly-equipped the Americans were, particularly in terms of shoes and clothes. It almost seems like we beat the British despite half of our soldiers walking around with their socks out for want of pants.
Clavell
AG
Starting with Christmas gift from daughter and her family:
Babel by R F Kuang
Malachi Constant
AG
Finished Matter by Iain M. Banks and now about 100 pages into Surface Detail.

The Culture Series by Banks is a great set of sci-fi books.
StinkyPinky
AG
Gates of Fire, Steven Pressfield.
Trajan88
AG
On my to-read list... prob. only get through 3 or 4 in '23:

Hail Mary by A. Weir
Billion Dollar Wale by T. Wright & B. Hope
The First Conspiracy by B. Meltzer
Bleachers by J. Grisham
One Second After by A. Matherson
American Marxism by M. Levin
Unfreedom of the Press by M. Levin
Rocagnante
AG
Hyperion series of books is a must if you like SciFi.
AG
Just Finished Zorrie by Laird Hunt.

Depressing novel, honestly not sure what to think of it yet.

Been on a fiction kick lately so pivoting to some non-fiction. Up next: The Brothers: John Foster Dulles, Allen Dulles & Their Secret World War

The Dog Lord
AG
Since Brandon Sanderson is offering the "year of Sanderson" with his new books, I decided to read the Cosmere in 2023.

Starting with Elantris. I know reading order has been discussed plenty, but I've been planning on going with the following:

Elantris
Mistborn trilogy 1
Mistborn 2 (except Lost Metal)
Warbreaker
Stormlight
The Lost Metal
Stormlight 5 once released

Thoughts on the short stories and novellas? Wasn't sure if mixing them in is necessary or if I could put them off to the end if I still want more once caught up.
AgLiving06
Stormlight 5 is 2024
Roll the Bones
AG
That's a lot of pages for one year. Good luck!

I have read Stormlight with a few rereads when the last book came out and am now 2/3 through the mistborn Era 1 trilogy. Great stuff.
RED AG 98
AG
Just finished Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir. It's one of the most enjoyable reads I've had in a long time. Unique, riveting, just absolutely fantastic. If you enjoyed The Martian, read this -- it's better.
MW03
AG
I'm presently working my way through Sanderson's "Shadows of Self" (Mistborn 5). I'm seriously considering putting the brakes on and going back through Mistborn 1-3, or at least tracking down some lengthy summaries. It feels like I've forgotten so much.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
The Dog Lord said:

Since Brandon Sanderson is offering the "year of Sanderson" with his new books, I decided to read the Cosmere in 2023.

Starting with Elantris. I know reading order has been discussed plenty, but I've been planning on going with the following:

Elantris
Mistborn trilogy 1
Mistborn 2 (except Lost Metal)
Warbreaker
Stormlight
The Lost Metal
Stormlight 5 once released

Thoughts on the short stories and novellas? Wasn't sure if mixing them in is necessary or if I could put them off to the end if I still want more once caught up.

The Stormlight novellas are pretty good but not required, Secret History is good to read after Mistborn 6, and The Emperor's Soul (Elantris world) is great any time. All the others are up to you, I don't think they have any other impact on any of his other stories, outside of maybe White Sands.
Diggity
AG
Anyone ever wondered why these threads have such a slant towards SciFi/Fantasy?

Furlock Bones
AG
just started Dead Man's Walk by Larry McMurtry. It's the 3rd book in the Lonesome Dove series but the first chronologically. going to read all 4 in chronological order.
Claude!
Starting "It Wasn't So Jolly" by Thomas Baker, a history of the 90th Bomb Group (which my granddad was part of) in WW2.
EABC_AG
Just picked up and started the first book of the Harry Bosch series. Pretty entertaining so far. Has anyone read the books before?
Diggity
AG
like any serial author who creates a world like Connelly, they can get formulaic at times, but I personally enjoy almost everything I read by him. I just enjoy LA crime novels in general.

I just found "The Late Show" on Kindle Unlimited so started up with him again.
Capybara
Diggity said:

Anyone ever wondered why these threads have such a slant towards SciFi/Fantasy?

Yeah kind of makes me feel like I might be missing out but who knows.
Capybara
I haven't had much free time lately, but I've continued chipping away at The Passenger. I'm intrigued so far.
dc509
AG
I just finished The Lawless Land by Boyd Morrison. He wrote it with his sister Beth who is an art historian at the Getty Museum. I'm going to read the next one when it comes out.

I'm on Reaper's Gale (#7) from the Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erickson. I planned to finish this series in 2022, but ended up taking a break. If anyone is looking for a really interesting series this is one worth getting into. One warning though, I think it took about 3 books before I had any idea what was going on.
TXTransplant
Have a goal to read one a month this year. I prefer non-fiction, but I started with The Boys from Biloxi by John Grisham. Finished it yesterday.

Didn't hate it, but it wasn't suspenseful and somewhat repetitive. I basically knew what was going to happen. Doesn't hold a candle to his early work.

I also happen to be from Biloxi, and there were some details that just didn't ring true to me. I doubt it would bother anyone who wasn't from there, but I was just hoping for more.
AG
RED AG 98 said:

Just finished Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir. It's one of the most enjoyable reads I've had in a long time. Unique, riveting, just absolutely fantastic. If you enjoyed The Martian, read this -- it's better.
Nice just bought this based on your rec. Also I see Ryan Gosling is going to be in the movie...
Diggity
AG
Yeah, his more "recent" stuff (read last 15 years) is pretty forgettable.

I'll still read it occasionally and it's mildly entertaining, but he never seems to be able to finish his books in a satisfying way.
Madmarttigan
AG
Re-read original trilogy of Red Rising pst few weeks now working on book 4 for first time.

Can't wait for someone to make a live action version of those. May be my favorite trilogy of books, will see how the series pans out.
StinkyPinky
AG
dc509 said:

I just finished The Lawless Land by Boyd Morrison. He wrote it with his sister Beth who is an art historian at the Getty Museum. I'm going to read the next one when it comes out.

I'm on Reaper's Gale (#7) from the Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erickson. I planned to finish this series in 2022, but ended up taking a break. If anyone is looking for a really interesting series this is one worth getting into. One warning though, I think it took about 3 books before I had any idea what was going on.

I've also heard these are good, but had just forgotten about them. Will definitely add to the list.
TXTransplant
Diggity said:

I'll still read it occasionally and it's mildly entertaining, but he never seems to be able to finish his books in a satisfying way.

I probably have only read one book of his in 20 years. I think the last one was Sycamore Row. I liked that one pretty well. Before that, I think it was The Brethren (which actually has a plot point in common with a real Biloxi/Dixie Mafia scandal from my childhood).

I actually didn't mind the ending of this book. But it was the 400+ pages in between that seemed to just rehash the same few plot points and themes over and over.
Spaceball 1
AG
I'm reading Fable by Stephen King but really struggling with it.
dc509
AG
TXTransplant said:

Diggity said:

I probably have only read one book of his in 20 years. I think the last one was Sycamore Row. I liked that one pretty well. Before that, I think it was The Brethren (which actually has a plot point in common with a real Biloxi/Dixie Mafia scandal from my childhood).

I actually didn't mind the ending of this book. But it was the 400+ pages in between that seemed to just rehash the same few plot points and themes over and over.

I use to be a big John Grisham fan, but you're right about his last 15 years. Unfortunately I think he has run out of stories.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.