2023 Books Read

57,906 Views | 533 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Chipotlemonger
CajunAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Currently reading:

• Goodbye to a River (John Graves)

• Doesn't Hurt to Ask (Trey Gowdy)
rynning
AG
RED AG 98 said:

I've loved CS Lewis fiction stuff since early middle school years but somehow just never read much of his other stuff. I've tried a few times just never got into it. Well we recently watched the CS Lewis documentary and now some three weeks later can't believe it took me so long.

Mere Christianity - A+. Just an incredibly insightful, prescient book for our times today.

The Screwtape Letters - A+. Biting. Sadistic. Perceptive. It's like an expert class in psychoanalysis.

Read these if you are in need of humility. Then you will question if you're proud of your humility and need to examine your motives. And by you I mean me. These are incredible reads.
There are at least three that popped up on IMDB. Which one did you see?
RED AG 98
AG
We actually watched two so far, the second more of a biopic movie than documentary. I enjoyed both and have added a few more to my queue since my interest is now piqued.

Documentary (free on Prime) - The Life and Faith of CS Lewis
Movie / Biopic (rent / buy wherever) - The Most Reluctant Convert
neronero
Just started "Saved" by Benjamin Hall and another book about marketing.
I think i see myself in the future working for PR and marketing company and started to gather some information about that. Here found Thryv reviews , seems to be a reliable option for a good start. My knowledge are a little old and before applying for a job like that i want to refresh them a little.
AG
Haven't been reading as much this year but:

Just finished:
Gourmet Rhapsody - Not great even though I loved one of her older novels, The Elegance of the Hedgehog.
Dubliners - Never read any James Joyce and heard this was the easiest starting point as it's a collection of short stories. Overall I enjoyed it, although I'm also Irish Catholic so that may have made me appreciate it more.

Currently Reading:
The Immortal Irishman: The Irish Revolutionary Who Became an American Hero - Only read the intro so far but this seems like it's going to be a wild ride.

Previous books this year:
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Demon Copperhead
Project Hail Mary
The Brothers: John Foster Dulles, Allen Dulles & Their Secret World War
Zorrie
StinkyPinky
AG
210 said:

Just finished:
Gourmet Rhapsody - Not great even though I loved one of her older novels, The Elegance of the Hedgehog.
Dubliners - Never read any James Joyce and heard this was the easiest starting point as it's a collection of short stories. Overall I enjoyed it, although I'm also Irish Catholic so that may have made me appreciate it more.

Currently Reading:
The Immortal Irishman: The Irish Revolutionary Who Became an American Hero - Only read the intro so far but this seems like it's going to be a wild ride.

Demon Copperhead
Project Hail Mary
Zorrie

Thoughts on Project Hail Mary? I here the extremes so still undecided if I want to give it a read.
Rudyjax
AG
StinkyPinky said:

210 said:

Just finished:

Currently Reading:

Demon Copperhead
Project Hail Mary
Zorrie

Thoughts on Project Hail Mary? I here the extremes so still undecided if I want to give it a read.

You didn't ask me but it's one of my favorite books of all time.

AG
StinkyPinky said:

210 said:

Just finished:

Currently Reading:

Demon Copperhead
Project Hail Mary
Zorrie

Think I actually wrote about it somewhere else in the thread but I liked it but didn't love it. Was a fun and easy read but a bit too cheesy for me.
Flatlander
Quote:

I really enjoyed the story. As you would expect from Weir, it is a great 'I've got to engineer my way out of this' story. The negative for me was that I really just did not like the main character.
Rudyjax
AG
Flatlander said:

Quote:

I really enjoyed the story. As you would expect from Weir, it is a great 'I've got to engineer my way out of this' story. The negative for me was that I really just did not like the main character.
Interesting and would like to discuss but of course, spoilers and not the place here.

13B
PHM: worth reading; for me, just not as good as The Martian and the ending just didn't "land" for me; still good though and worthwhile and others love it.
RED AG 98
AG
Chuck Cunningham said:

StinkyPinky said:

210 said:

Just finished:

Currently Reading:

Demon Copperhead
Project Hail Mary
Zorrie

Same. I thought it was fantastic.
Rudyjax
AG
And if you like audiobooks, Project Hail Mary is amazing. I'd recommend that for sure.
Lavender Gooms
AG
Really trying to make a concerted effort to read more this year. And by read, I mean listen to audiobooks on my work commute (which isn't super long either!). We've been subscribed to Scribd, and have been happy with the audiobook selection.

Finished this year:
  • The Indifferent Stars Above: The Harrowing Sage of the Donner Party - really interesting book, covered more stuff than I'm sure I ever learned in History class. Pretty sure my only significant memory of the Donner Party story came from a Robin Williams joke in Patch Adams!
  • If you Tell - absolutely riveting book to listen to, even though the subject matter is horrifying.
13B
Chuck Cunningham said:

And if you like audiobooks, Project Hail Mary is amazing. I'd recommend that for sure.
You may also try Columbus Day: Expeditionary Force Book 1 by Craig Alanson. I don't know what the remaining 16 books are like but I found the first one to be a highly entertaining listen. The narrator helps complete the package. I cannot recommend this book nearly enough!

All hail Skippy!
MichaelWinkel
Started reading Men Without Women by Haruki Murakami
I like it so far
rynning
AG
RED AG 98 said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

StinkyPinky said:

210 said:

Just finished:

Currently Reading:

Demon Copperhead
Project Hail Mary
Zorrie

Same. I thought it was fantastic.
I wouldn't call it a literary masterpiece, but it's a very fun ride. The author knows how to deliver to his audience.
rynning
AG
I'm surprised no one has read or commented on Stephen King's Fairy Tale. He's still the master, and I'd say this was his best since 11/22/63.
StinkyPinky
AG
Was going to read Project Hail Mary but the B&N's I stopped in didn't have it stocked. So went with Sanderson's Mistborn (bought the whole trilogy). Time for vaca.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Been reading a few classics lately

The Chronicles of Narnia,
The Hobbit,
Got about 20 pages left in To Kill a Mockingbird
RED AG 98
AG
Nice. I just restarted Narnia for the first time in probably 20 years. Read The Magician's Nephew and The Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe last week and I started The Horse and His Boy today.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Awesome. Not gonna lie, I forget how emotional I felt reading the last bit of The Last Battle.

A Horse and His Boy may be my favorite.
bluefire579
AG
rynning said:

I'm surprised no one has read or commented on Stephen King's Fairy Tale. He's still the master, and I'd say this was his best since 11/22/63.
I want to read it, I just don't want to spend the same amount on the kindle version that they're selling the hardcover for
MaroonStain
AG
I started Dune after finishing Dresden Files series (found out there will be more of these!).

Dr. Mephisto
AG
Finished Book 2 of Deed of Paksenarrion (Divided Allegiance), and on to book 3, Oath of Gold. These books get definitely better as you go. The first 150 pages od the 1st book are a struggle, but Moon definitely gets going as you get into the story. I had a friend keep reassuring me to stay with it. He was right.

Still in progress: House of Leaves, and The Magus.
Philo B 93
I finished "Quantum Radio" by A.G. Riddle. The story is about four people who are lead through the process of hopping multiverses to fight a mysterious evil. If Rick & Morty had a kid with every Michael Crichton book and removed the cartoonish humor, it would be "Quantum Radio". I really enjoyed it.
YouBet
AG
Read
  • The Last Resort: Adrian's March Part Two (AUD Book #10) - Kindle
  • No God: Adrian's March Part Three (AUD Book #11) - Kindle
  • Heir of Novron (The Riyria Revelations #5-6) - Michael J Sullivan (On Audible)

Finished

Dead Cities: Adrian's March Part Two (AUD Book #12) - Chris Philbrook - Audible
  • Good as usual.

Ghosts: Adrian's March Part Two (AUD Book #13) - Chris Philbrook and Carl Meadows - Audible
  • This one wasn't as good as the others and looking at it further I wonder if it's because he did a one-off co-author with this one? Kind of odd. It was still very good but just a slight step below the others. I actually wonder if the other author wrote some of Adrian's character in this one vs Chris because he felt....out of character. And it also felt a little rushed at times almost as if Philbrook is trying to wrap this whole thing up and get it done. Book 14 seems to be the last one in the series.

The Trouble with Peace (The Age of Madness #2) - Joe Abercrombie
  • Continues Abercrombie's overall Law series. These are excellent books and it's interesting to watch it progress from the first more grim dark fantasy kind of book and move into a period of industrialization with class warfare and the politics behind that.

BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

Awesome. Not gonna lie, I forget how emotional I felt reading the last bit of The Last Battle.

A Horse and His Boy may be my favorite.
What is The Last Battle about?
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Rudyjax said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

Anything I read gets 4 stars minimum. 3 starts or below I quit reading.

January:
  • The Street Lawyer: John Grisham. Somehow I missed this one. I've always enjoyed JG.
Gary Paulson Hatchet series. I love a good YA novel, don't know why. Love the survival aspect.
  • The River
  • Brian's Winter 5*
  • Brian's Return
  • Brian's Hunt
  • Waxing On: Ralph Macchio. Listened to it, but it counts. Some good behind the scenes of the Karate Kid.

February:
  • Sparring Partners: John Grisham. I really liked 2 of the 3 short stories.
  • Never: Ken Follett: Brilliant. Loved it. These are events where WW3 starts and is global nuclear and no one wants it. 5*
  • The Apollo Murders; Biggest piece of crap I've read out of a major publisher. Quit 10 chapters in. Negative infinity stars.
  • Stories I only Tell My Friends: Rob Lowe. He's actually a really good writer, better than Macchio. He tells some great stories. I'd recommend if you're a fan of his or 80s movies. 5*
  • Hatchet: Gary Paulsen. Book 1 wasn't available in January. 5*
  • Deacon King Kong: James BcBride: I was pressed for time and returned after 2 pages. Going to try again.
  • The Family Fong: Kevin Wilson Very good. Very funny. 5*s
  • The Best of Adam Sharp: Graeme Simision: One of the best books I've read in a long time. Probably since his Rosie Series. 5*

March:
  • Long Shadows: David Baldacci: Book 7 in the Memory Man. It was ok.
  • Biloxi Boys: John Grisham. Meh?? 4*s. The whole book just tells what happens rather than describes it.

Currently reading:
  • Now is Not the Time to Panic: Kevin Wilson: So far so good, will update.

Up Next: Order depends when they're available from my 4 e-libraries.
  • Apollo 8: Jeffrey Kluger
  • Hyperion: Dan Simmons
  • All Together Now: Matthew Norman
  • Domestic Violets: Matthew Norman
  • Holdout: Jeffery Kluger
  • The Darkest Winter: Lindsey Pogue
  • True Believer: Jack Carr
  • Red Shirts: John Scalzi
  • One Second After: William Forstchen
  • A Man Called Ove: Fredrik Backman
  • Beartown: Fredrik Backman

Honestly, ordinary people in books like Matthew Norman, Kevin Wilson, Grame Simision are my favorites.

March:
  • Biloxi Boys: John Grisham. Meh?? 4*s. The whole book just tells what happens rather than describes it.
  • Now is not the Time to Panic: Kevin Wilson: Very good and then it just fizzled out. It's not for everyone but was enjoyable.
  • True Believer: Jack Carr. Book 2 of the Terminal List Story. Very fast paced. Very believable. It's more like I would've read in my younger years but I am liking this series.
  • Apollo 8: Jeffery Kluger: Very good historical account of the first trip to the moon. I knew most of the stories.
  • Redshirts: John Scalzi: It was...meh?? I liked it to some extend. Would make a great movie. Not sure why it hasn't been made. Things tell me I should like everything by Scalzi, but there's something missing. Not sure what it is.
  • Hyperion: Dan Simmons: Made it thru the prologue and Chapter 1. Not a fan.
  • Holdout: Jeffery Kluger: it's his first attempt fiction. Nothing interested me at all. Gave up 53%. Life's too short to read books that aren't doing it for you.

Currently Reading:

• Savage Son: Jack Carr
  • Vanished: Joseph Finder
  • How to Mars: David Ebenbach
  • This Bird Has Flown; Susanna Hoffs (yes, from the go-gos)
  • A Visit form the Good Squad: Jennifer Egan
  • John Irving: A Prayer for Owen Meany (One of my top 5 ever)
  • The Time Travelers Wife: Audrey Niffenegger
  • The storied Life of A. J . Firkey: Gabrielle Zevin
  • The Color of Magic: Terry Pratchett
  • The Switch: Joseph Finder
  • The moviegoer: Walker Percy
  • A Confederacy of Dunces: John Kennedy Toole
  • Last Couple Standing: Matthew Norman
  • Avenue of Mysteries: John Irving
  • The Last Chairlift: John Irving
  • Imaginary Friend: Stephen Chbosky
  • Perfet LIttle World: Kevin Wilson

April was a slow month. Tons of false starts and a few books I didn't dig and either stopped or it took a while.
April Completed:
  • A Man Called Ove: Fredrik Backman - This book was great. Movie was good too.
  • Savage Son: Jack Carr - This was good. His books are entertaining. He was influenced quite a bit by WEB Griffin. Lots of rich ex-military with all the toys do whatever they want.
  • How to Mars: David Ebenbach. - I really wanted to like this more than I did.
  • Vanished: Joseph Finder - I started and stopped this like 12 years ago and it was good. Not great.
  • Project Hail Mary: I listened to the Audio book for the 4th or 5th time. I really love it. Its great to fall asleep to.

April Failures:
  • The Moviegoer: Walker Percy: Nothing wrong with this really, but the format was on LIbby which I'm not a fan of.
  • This Bird Has Flown: Susanna Hoffs It was about a breakup and romance...blah.
  • A Visit from the Goon Squad: Jennifer Egan- It wasn't a novel, it was a collection of short stories about inter-related characters. Not may thing. The short stories were good, but I don't want to read that.
Currently reading:
  • One Second After: William Forstchen - So far so good. Very predictable so far but I'm enjoying it.
A Confed------ Worst book I ever read- couldnt finish.
713nervy
AG
MAY 2023

GREAT!
Happy Place by Emily Henry

REALLY GOOD
Ninth House (Alex Stern #1) by Leigh Bardugo
Hell Bent (Alex Stern #2) by Leigh Bardugo
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

GOOD
The Beast (Wicked Villains #4) by Katee Robert
The Two Lives of Lydia Bird by Josie Silver
Weather Girl by Rachel Lynn Solomon
The Ex Hex by Erin Sterling (The Ex Hex #1)
The Kiss Curse by Erin Sterling (The Ex Hex #2)
The Deal (Off Campus #1) by Elle Kennedy

Trajan88
AG
I just finished One Second After by W. Forstchen.

Starting Project Hail Mary.
Rudyjax
AG
Rudyjax said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

Anything I read gets 4 stars minimum. 3 starts or below I quit reading.

January:
  • The Street Lawyer: John Grisham. Somehow I missed this one. I've always enjoyed JG.
Gary Paulson Hatchet series. I love a good YA novel, don't know why. Love the survival aspect.
  • The River
  • Brian's Winter 5*
  • Brian's Return
  • Brian's Hunt
  • Waxing On: Ralph Macchio. Listened to it, but it counts. Some good behind the scenes of the Karate Kid.

February:
  • Sparring Partners: John Grisham. I really liked 2 of the 3 short stories.
  • Never: Ken Follett: Brilliant. Loved it. These are events where WW3 starts and is global nuclear and no one wants it. 5*
  • The Apollo Murders; Biggest piece of crap I've read out of a major publisher. Quit 10 chapters in. Negative infinity stars.
  • Stories I only Tell My Friends: Rob Lowe. He's actually a really good writer, better than Macchio. He tells some great stories. I'd recommend if you're a fan of his or 80s movies. 5*
  • Hatchet: Gary Paulsen. Book 1 wasn't available in January. 5*
  • Deacon King Kong: James BcBride: I was pressed for time and returned after 2 pages. Going to try again.
  • The Family Fong: Kevin Wilson Very good. Very funny. 5*s
  • The Best of Adam Sharp: Graeme Simision: One of the best books I've read in a long time. Probably since his Rosie Series. 5*

March:

Currently reading:
  • Now is Not the Time to Panic: Kevin Wilson: So far so good, will update.

• Apollo 8: Jeffrey Kluger
  • Hyperion: Dan Simmons
  • Red Shirts: John Scalzi

Honestly, ordinary people in books like Matthew Norman, Kevin Wilson, Grame Simision are my favorites.

March:
  • Now is not the Time to Panic: Kevin Wilson: Very good and then it just fizzled out. It's not for everyone but was enjoyable.
  • True Believer: Jack Carr. Book 2 of the Terminal List Story. Very fast paced. Very believable. It's more like I would've read in my younger years but I am liking this series.
  • Apollo 8: Jeffery Kluger: Very good historical account of the first trip to the moon. I knew most of the stories.
  • Redshirts: John Scalzi: It was...meh?? I liked it to some extend. Would make a great movie. Not sure why it hasn't been made. Things tell me I should like everything by Scalzi, but there's something missing. Not sure what it is.
  • Hyperion: Dan Simmons: Made it thru the prologue and Chapter 1. Not a fan.
  • Holdout: Jeffery Kluger: it's his first attempt fiction. Nothing interested me at all. Gave up 53%. Life's too short to read books that aren't doing it for you.

Currently Reading:

• Savage Son: Jack Carr
  • Vanished: Joseph Finder
  • How to Mars: David Ebenbach
  • This Bird Has Flown; Susanna Hoffs (yes, from the go-gos)
  • A Visit form the Good Squad: Jennifer Egan
  • John Irving: A Prayer for Owen Meany (One of my top 5 ever)
  • The Time Travelers Wife: Audrey Niffenegger
  • The storied Life of A. J . Firkey: Gabrielle Zevin
  • The Color of Magic: Terry Pratchett
  • The Switch: Joseph Finder
  • The moviegoer: Walker Percy
  • A Confederacy of Dunces: John Kennedy Toole
  • Last Couple Standing: Matthew Norman
  • Avenue of Mysteries: John Irving
  • The Last Chairlift: John Irving
  • Imaginary Friend: Stephen Chbosky
  • Perfet LIttle World: Kevin Wilson

April was a slow month. Tons of false starts and a few books I didn't dig and either stopped or it took a while.
April Completed:
  • A Man Called Ove: Fredrik Backman - This book was great. Movie was good too.
  • Savage Son: Jack Carr - This was good. His books are entertaining. He was influenced quite a bit by WEB Griffin. Lots of rich ex-military with all the toys do whatever they want.
  • How to Mars: David Ebenbach. - I really wanted to like this more than I did.
  • Vanished: Joseph Finder - I started and stopped this like 12 years ago and it was good. Not great.
  • Project Hail Mary: I listened to the Audio book for the 4th or 5th time. I really love it. Its great to fall asleep to.

April Failures:
  • The Moviegoer: Walker Percy: Nothing wrong with this really, but the format was on LIbby which I'm not a fan of.
  • This Bird Has Flown: Susanna Hoffs It was about a breakup and romance...blah.
  • A Visit from the Goon Squad: Jennifer Egan- It wasn't a novel, it was a collection of short stories about inter-related characters. Not may thing. The short stories were good, but I don't want to read that.
Currently reading:
  • One Second After: William Forstchen - So far so good. Very predictable so far but I'm enjoying it.

May Completed:
  • One Second After: William Forstchen- Parts I loved, parts I hated, I think it had me in tears 3 or 4 times. Definitely worth the read. 4 out of 5
  • Domestic Violets: Matthew Norman, Book about the son of Pulitzer winner and his realtionships. 4 out of 5.
  • The Storied Life of AJ Fikry: Good quick read about a book owner and what happens to him. 4 out of 5
  • One Year After: William Forstchen- Audiobook narrated by Bronson Pinchot. He's really good. Sappy sequel to One Second After. Worth the listen. 3 out of 5
May failures:
  • BearTown: Frekrik Backman: This guy can spin a yarn. I only didn't finish it because I started with 5 days left on my loan and didn't dive in. I have it back on hold.
Current Reading:
Current Listening:
  • The Final Day: William Forstchen: Book 3. It's ok. Not nearly as good as the first.
AG
Just finished:
The Immortal Irishman: The Irish Revolutionary Who Became an American Hero - This book was awesome. Biography of an Irish revolutionary, turned Tasmanian prisoner, turned US Civil War General, turned Governor of Montana. 5/5.

Breakfast at Tiffany's - Read this novella on Sunday. Had never read Capote before and enjoyed it. 4/5.

Currently Reading:
Billion Dollar Whale: The Man Who Fooled Wall Street, Hollywood, and the World - This has been entertaining so far. About a Malaysian conman, interested to see where it goes.

Gourmet Rhapsody
Dubliners
Demon Copperhead
Project Hail Mary
Zorrie

Eliminatus
AG
I'm doing it. Put it off long enough. I will face my fears.

Picking up book one, Malazan Book of the Fallen.

May the gods have mercy on me.
Capybara
Finished Memoirs of Hadrian by Marguerite Yourcenar earlier this evening and cannot say enough good things about it (and her).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.