*** THE BATMAN UNIVERSE ***

21,390 Views | 198 Replies | Last: 15 hrs ago by Quad Dog
Sex Panther
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quad Dog said:

In my opinion Hush only really works when you have a fully flushed out Bruce Wayne and a larger rouges gallery for him to impersonate.

Hush impersonating other villains? He's not a shapeshifter. Clayface can do that, but again I don't see how that fits in *this* universe
G.I.Bro
I really liked The Batman, and it is more rewatchable than the Nolan trilogy for me, but I really wish we could get a good batman movie series that is more comic book based, instead of real world grounded. Give me killer croc, clayface, etc. Basically the arkham games in movie form.
TXAG 05
AG
Aggie_Journalist said:

Which Batman villains do you think are "marketable" enough?

The main thing that gives me pause on Hush is that he has a similar look to the last movie's Riddler mask, and if Hush is another guy with a Bruce Wayne obsession, it'll feel like ground we've already covered before. So if they gave us Hush, it would have to be a fairly different Hush than what we've seen before, or a side character.

I was thinking the same thing after reading up on Hush. Seemed like he would be too similar to the Riddler that we got in the first one.
Sex Panther
AG
There were several aspects of Hush that were incorporated into The Batman and some of the Riddler's direct backstory appeared to have some Hush inspiration.

And this was obviously not a coincidence:

There was also a mention of an Elliot when Bruce was unraveling the Riddler's plan - but I don't remember the exact details of who he was... And like others have said, the Riddler's mask was more Hush than Riddler.

And there was also this:

So who knows... love the speculation though
Quad Dog
AG
I thought I remembered him using Poison Ivy pheremones and Clay Face clay and maybe more to throw off Batman and manipulate the villains.
Sex Panther
AG
Quad Dog said:

I thought I remembered him using Poison Ivy pheremones and Clay Face clay and maybe more to throw off Batman and manipulate the villains.

Ah, manipulate... not impersonate.

Yeah for sure. His "superpower" is the good ol' master strategist and puppeteer
TCTTS
AG
Aggie_Journalist said:

Which Batman villains do you think are "marketable" enough?

The main thing that gives me pause on Hush is that he has a similar look to the last movie's Riddler mask, and if Hush is another guy with a Bruce Wayne obsession, it'll feel like ground we've already covered before. So if they gave us Hush, it would have to be a fairly different Hush than what we've seen before, or a side character.

Movie/marketability-wise, past and present, I would say...

- Bane
- Catwoman (though she's not really a full-fledged villain)
- Harley Quinn
- Joker
- Penguin
- Riddler
- Scarecrow

While tier two/borderline would be...

- Deadshot
- Mr. Freeze
- Poison Ivy
- Ra's al Ghul

And then, IMO, tier three (with not a ton of awareness among general audiences)...

- Black Mask
- Clayface
- Hugo Strange
- Hush
- Killer Croc
- Mad Hatter
- Etc

Opinions may differ, but something along those general lines. And going by past precedent, in terms of marketability/audience recognition, you almost have to have a villain from the first two tiers. Then again, there's a first time for everything, and I know Reeves could make any of those their three villains memorable.

Still, I also agree that Hush feels way too similar to The Batman's iteration of Riddler, which tells me there's more to the Hush rumors than we know - that he'll either be way different, or that he's a minor villain and we still don't know who the primary villain is (or he's just not in it at all).
TCTTS
AG
veryfuller said:

I mean, the way Reeves has set it up, Bruce doesn't really know who Bruce is at this point. He is the Batman and then a shell of a human the rest of the time. So perhaps the film is him trying to establish himself, and the conflict is someone else is making that incredibly difficult.

Love this thinking.
TCTTS
AG
nickstro66 said:

I would think the Joker would be involved in some way. You tease him in the first one and then release the deleted scene after the movie came out.

Unless they are saving him for an Arkham Asylum type thing in the 3rd movie.

Reeves is on record as saying he did the Joker thing basically just for fun, it wasn't a set-up for the sequel, and that he's not really interested in utilizing him at this time. I definitely got a "we've been there done that" vibe from Reeves in that regard. Plans could have changed, of course (Barry Keoghan has since been nominated for an Oscar), but I'd be surprised.
AgfromHOU
AG
Would love an HBO show about Batman
AgfromHOU
AG
Sex Panther said:

Quad Dog said:

In my opinion Hush only really works when you have a fully flushed out Bruce Wayne and a larger rouges gallery for him to impersonate.

Hush impersonating other villains? He's not a shapeshifter. Clayface can do that, but again I don't see how that fits in *this* universe

In Streets of Gotham, Hush has to act as Bruce Wayne for the public because real Bruce is "dead" from Final Crisis. He gave himself plastic surgery to look identical to Bruce. So he can impersonate, but I'm pretty sure it's just been Bruce.

Edit: read your post better about him not impersonating villains. My bad.
The Marksman
AG
Killer Croc would be so cool. Not sure we'll ever see him though. Likewise with Mr. Freeze.
Whos Juan
AG
Hugo Strange would be great in Reeve's universe, imo.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
Keeping with the grounded universe, I do think Poison Ivy as an eco-terrorist would be fun to see.
Al Bula
AG
Best Batman villain:

Aggie_Journalist
AG
Agree. I'd love to see a Hugo strange story that delves into Arkham.
Thanks and gig'em
Sex Panther
AG
I think Poison Ivy and Mr Freeze are going to happen soon. If not this universe then something else. Both characters have become very popular since they last appeared and have a ton of depth.

Obviously, their traditional characters on paper seem like they would be difficult to incorporate... but it can definitely be done, and would be really cool and fun to see how Reeves would update them to fit in a realistic universe
wangus12
AG
AgfromHOU said:

Lucky for you HBO Max already has the best Batman on screen

Batman: The Animated Series
AgfromHOU
AG
wangus12 said:

AgfromHOU said:

Lucky for you HBO Max already has the best Batman on screen

Batman: The Animated Series

Oh I know, I grew up on this and Batman Beyond. Meant live action.
TCTTS
AG

Stop what you're doing.

It's Halloween.

Which means it's time for your annual viewing of The Batman.

TCTTS
AG
Also, two years to the month until we get Part II.

And we should finally have The Penguin series within the next year or so (if not next summer).
The Porkchop Express
By 2025 will the City of Gotham have redone its emergency evac plan to go to the lowest point in the city during a flood?
TCTTS
AG

As a firefighter in the movie explains, Gotham Square Garden is the "refuge of last resort" for a hurricane, not a flood. And the only reason it floods is because the doors are still open when the sea walls are finally fully breached (which is what the firefighter was warning would happen, to the new mayor, who wanted to keep them open until she could calm the crowd, allow more people in, and then close the doors). Otherwise, if the doors were closed when the flood hit - as the firefighter argued - it sounds like they were breach-proof. And then the plan was always to evacuate via coastguard from the GSC rooftop.
The Porkchop Express
If you knew a flood was coming to New York city would you tell people to go to Madison Square garden or the empire state building?
TCTTS
AG
MSG is better equipped to hold a large number of people, with stadium seating, a big, flat surface for cots/beds, kitchens (where concessions were prepared), etc. Sure, the Empire State Building could ultimately hold more people, but it would be incredibly cramped, and would also be a sh*t show trying to aid them all. As long as MSG's doors were water/flood proof, it would make more sense, IMO. It's not like any flooding would completely submerge it, either, so height doesn't really matter.
Wes97
AG
And the fact that some wanna be urban planner put thought into this for The Batman script is why this is such a good movie.
The Porkchop Express
TCTTS said:

MSG is better equipped to hold a large number of people, with stadium seating, a big, flat surface for cots/beds, kitchens (where concessions were prepared), etc. Sure, the Empire State Building could ultimately hold more people, but it would be incredibly cramped, and would also be a sh*t show trying to aid them all. As long as MSG's doors were water/flood proof, it would make more sense, IMO. It's not like any flooding would completely submerge it, either, so height doesn't really matter.
I guess I'm just going to have to be the crazy guy who thinks going below sea level in a city full of skyscrapers to be safe in a flood is a dumb as **** plot in a movie.
TCTTS
AG
I would expect casting news for the sequel's villain(s), Harvey Dent, etc to start dropping any day now. Hopefully before Thanksgiving, but definitely before the end of the year...

Aggie_Journalist
AG
We're actors able to engage in casting and auditions during the strike?
Thanks and gig'em
TCTTS
AG
Actors weren't allowed to engage with the studios at all, or on their behalf. In addition to no filming of studio projects, there were no auditions, no promoting of studio projects, etc. But casual conversations between actors and directors were definitely had (even though they technically weren't allowed either), and a lot of roles/auditions had already been whittled down just before the strike began in early July. For instance, last we heard, if true, when the strike began, the role of Harvey Dent was down to Josh Hartnett and Joel Edgerton. So in the interim, Reeves almost assuredly made his decision, and now it's just a matter of signing the contract and making the announcement. But maybe there's a villain role that still needs auditions committed to film, on the Warner Bros lot, so that process could take a little longer. But even then you know Reeves has had all the time in the world to stew, and likely has a pretty good idea of who the cast is by now.
TCTTS
AG
fig96
AG
veryfuller said:

I mean, the way Reeves has set it up, Bruce doesn't really know who Bruce is at this point. He is the Batman and then a shell of a human the rest of the time. So perhaps the film is him trying to establish himself, and the conflict is someone else is making that incredibly difficult.
This is the natural evolution of the character even if we did go a little heavy on emo recluse Bruce in The Batman.

They oversimplified it in Batman Begins, but Bruce Wayne eventually becomes almost a character that Batman plays to his advantage in a variety of ways. I expect we'll start to see that in this next film.
TCTTS
AG
AgfromHOU
AG
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0kR_6mA6Pr/?igshid=MzY1NDJmNzMyNQ==
TCTTS
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.