*** THE BATMAN UNIVERSE ***

20,601 Views | 191 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by nickstro66
Sex Panther
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If so, hard to imagine Reeves will go the traditional shapeshifting Clayface route. Which is personally what I'd like to see.

Clayface while definitely on the more "comic" side of Batman rogues... is one of the best and a great tragic villain.

AliasMan02
AG
Body horror Clayface would be legit.

I see this as being a minor character, though. I don't see building a movie around him.
TCTTS
AG
So it seems Mike Flanagan pitched a Clayface movie to Gunn & Safran, and that's how this Clayface-in-The-Batman-Part-II news came to light. I'm guessing Flanagan pitched it to them without knowing Reeves' plans to include Clayface in his universe...

TheDoctor
AG
Love Flanagan…but he and Amazon still owe me his Dark Tower treatment.
The Porkchop Express
Seems like a real jump from the grounded (sort of) villains to one that is very supernatural / freak powers type.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
AgfromHOU
AG
Unless it's the original Clayface from the 1940s
AgfromHOU
AG
The Porkchop Express
AgfromHOU said:

It reminds me of the gangster in the movie that Kevin watches in Home Alone.

Batman's city without Batman in it seems kinda blah.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
AgfromHOU
AG
Supposedly Pattinson will make an appearance

They did a comic series once called Gotham Central that followed the PD with barely any Batman cameos and it was pretty good. Just have to make it interesting and make it well.

This is interesting to me because it'll be the connective tissue between movies, and we don't have to do a time skip and summarize what happened between movies.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
The casting rumors for Part II have officially begun…

(and, to be clear, this is from a legit source)
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Can totally see it with Hartnett. Hope he gets it. The dude is due a comeback.
TCTTS
AG
Hartnett is in Oppenheimer too. I've always really like him, and am rooting for his comeback as well.

That said, Reeves can't miss with Edgerton either, who *might* be my first choice.

Can't go wrong either way.
TCTTS
AG
AustinAg2K
TCTTS said:

I'm hoping they go even darker, and the next movie is just a black screen.
YouBet
AG
AustinAg2K said:

TCTTS said:

I'm hoping they go even darker, and the next movie is just a black screen.

That would be so meta. I think. Sometimes I'm not sure I use that term correctly.
TCTTS
AG
I can't vouch for this guy, but he seems to have a decent track record…

TCTTS
AG
A Robin who's not a cop played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt is certainly one way to further differentiate this iteration from the Nolan/Snyder versions, and would obviously be the first true, live-action attempt at the character since the '90s. All I know is that I trust Reeves, whatever he ends up doing.
TCTTS
AG
Then again, I just remembered the DCU is doing a Batman & Robin movie as well, which could be overkill, but at least this movie will beat that one to theaters by at least year if not more.
AliasMan02
AG
I'm sure I've said it before but a body horror Clayface could be incredible. Especially if they go the direction of him just being able to mold/change his face and not being a big pile of goo (at least to start).

Seriously imagine the guy sculpting his own face in the mirror to look like Bruce Wayne or whatever. Creepy
C@LAg
AliasMan02 said:

I'm sure I've said it before but a body horror Clayface could be incredible. Especially if they go the direction of him just being able to mold/change his face and not being a big pile of goo (at least to start).

Seriously imagine the guy sculpting his own face in the mirror to look like Bruce Wayne or whatever. Creepy
Clayface: One Bad Day is pretty much all the movie script needed.
fig96
AG
TCTTS said:

Then again, I just remembered the DCU is doing a Batman & Robin movie as well, which could be overkill, but at least this movie will beat that one to theaters by at least year if not more.
The DCU film is (per previous reports) going to feature Damien Wayne, the latest/youngest Robin which actually has some potential for a really cool story. He can be kind of set apart in a number of ways, the biggest being he's actually Bruce's son.

There's also the kind of odd CW/Max show Gotham Knights which has a not Robin character named Turner Hayes who's a kinda smooshed together Robin amalgamation as well as Carrie Kelley (Robin from The Dark Knight Returns comic storyline). I've watched the first ep or two and it's...well, very CW.
TCTTS
AG
Not a ton new here, but nice to see it all in one place...

Daveintx
Or go the Mission Impossible route and just let him be a master at mask making
TCTTS
AG
I need the modern equivalent of this in the next Reeves movie. Ha, seriously. Bruce Wayne having to talk to or interact with Batman in some form or fashion, or else risk blowing his identity, could be pretty cool…

Quad Dog
AG
I've said it before, but anyone who wants to be Batman should have to audition with that scene.
TCTTS
AG

Sex Panther
AG
Hush would be kind of awesome, and I love the idea of going deeper in the well of Batman's rogues gallery - but it's hard to imagine they go with a villain that the majority of movie goers have never heard of

I love the story of Hush and his bandage look is amazing... That said, in this more grounded universe, a guy who impersonates Bruce would be kind of silly and also kind of lame in my opinion. I just don't really enjoy that trope, and was never that excited about Secret Invasion for that reason

But I know there's way, way more to Hush than impersonating Bruce, so I'm sure this would be super cool in the right hands
TCTTS
AG
Sex Panther said:

Hush would be kind of awesome, and I love the idea of going deeper in the well of Batman's rogues gallery - but it's hard to imagine they go with a villain that the majority of movie goers have never heard of

I love the story of Hush and his bandage look is amazing... That said, in this more grounded universe, a guy who impersonates Bruce would be kind of silly and also kind of lame in my opinion. I just don't really enjoy that trope, and was never that excited about Secret Invasion for that reason

But I know there's way, way more to Hush than impersonating Bruce, so I'm sure this would be super cool in the right hands

This is what I'm having trouble with. As of now, the only new villains rumored have been Hush and Clayface. Harvey Dent has been rumored as well, but I can't see him becoming Two Face in time to be considered any kind of a legit villain this go around. Then we can presume Penguin is returning, seeing as his Max series will help set up the movie, while I'd be surprised to see Riddler and/or Joker return in any real capacity, since Reeves straight up said he's probably not ready to use the Joker yet in-full, but who knows.

So, for a massive DC sequel, for what is potentially Warner Bros' biggest franchise character - considering all the marketing, brand tie-ins, and what not that will go into this - is some combination of Hush, Clayface, and Penguin enough for the villains? Because I just don't see it. I guess maybe if they cast a major, major star as either Hush or Clayface? I don't know, I just feel like it's more likely there's a big-name villain that hasn't been revealed yet.

Good thing is, as soon as the actors' strike is over, which will hopefully be in the next month or so, we should start getting a number of casting announcements.
Dark_Knight
AG
You don't think those are enough as far as villains go? Clayface would be cool.
Hinting at the Court of Owls would be sweet.
TCTTS
AG
Sorry, I'm not referring to the number of villains, but rather the marketability of those three, in particular - about who's going to put butts in seats. General audiences have no idea who Hush and Clayface are - hell, I barely know who they are - so you have to wonder if Warner Bros would even sign off on them. And if they did, try imagining the posters, marketing tie-ins, etc. For instance, when you see a big question mark on a Batman teaser poster, everyone and their dog instantly knows that's Riddler, their interest is piqued, they get excited, etc. Try doing something similar with Hush or Clayface, though, and most people would be clueless, never mind getting them amped for the sequel.

I'm not saying it can't be done, though. Again, casting a massive actor in one of the roles would go a long way. And it's not like everyone knew who Ra's al Ghul was in Batman Begins before that movie came out (though, they "solved" that by marketing the movie as Batman's origin story, which was something we hadn't seen before). Also, I'm not all doubting Reeves - I think he'll make a phenomenal movie no matter what villains he chooses - I'm just trying to think more like a studio, and how they'd want to market/separate the sequel in some unique but recognizable way, that gets people amped for the villain, seeing as Batman is obviously known for his rogue's gallery, or at least the more star-studded of the bunch.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Which Batman villains do you think are "marketable" enough?

The main thing that gives me pause on Hush is that he has a similar look to the last movie's Riddler mask, and if Hush is another guy with a Bruce Wayne obsession, it'll feel like ground we've already covered before. So if they gave us Hush, it would have to be a fairly different Hush than what we've seen before, or a side character.
Thanks and gig'em
Quad Dog
AG
In my opinion Hush only really works when you have a fully flushed out Bruce Wayne and a larger rouges gallery for him to impersonate. We know nothing about Bruce Wayne from The Batman.I think you need to establish Bruce Wayne in a movie before you can have Hush. Maybe you can establish both in the same movie?
veryfuller
Staff
AG
I mean, the way Reeves has set it up, Bruce doesn't really know who Bruce is at this point. He is the Batman and then a shell of a human the rest of the time. So perhaps the film is him trying to establish himself, and the conflict is someone else is making that incredibly difficult.
nickstro66
AG
I would think the Joker would be involved in some way. You tease him in the first one and then release the deleted scene after the movie came out.

Unless they are saving him for an Arkham Asylum type thing in the 3rd movie.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.