The Super Mario Bros Movie

39,024 Views | 436 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Nanomachines son
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone thinking a Super Mario brothers movie would have a deep and complex plot is an absolute moron and has clearly never played any of the games. All of the games were straightforward and simple, which is exactly what I expected for the movie assuming it was faithful to the source material.

I am convinced reviewers complaining about the story legitimate just hate the source material.
FancyKetchup14
AG
If you want deep and animated go watch a Pixar flick. I'm trying to get Baja blasted and watch a cool looking Nintendo movie for an hour and a half.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
For balance...

Overall things still feel more positive than negative, but it definitely feels like the bigger fan you are of the series, the more you'll get from it, especially with all the Easter eggs.

Jack Black is getting praise across the board.
agdoc2001
AG
Got tickets for me and the boys for Friday. This might be the only thing I see in theaters this year.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Looking at $225M+ worldwide over the initial five days.

https://deadline.com/2023/04/super-mario-bros-air-box-office-opening-ben-affleck-amazon-1235316883/
TCTTS
AG
Damn…

Quad Dog
AG
If there was any movie to have a big difference between critic score and audience score it was this one.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Audience score will be way more revealing for this movie.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That said, it is a little disappointing it couldn't even match Sonic's critic score.
C@LAg
The Porkchop Express
AG
Kids all around the world right now are telling their parents, "I don't know what Rotten Tomatoes is."
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Nanomachines son
TCTTS said:

Damn…

Legit who gives a damn about what critics say about this movie? It was always going to get a bad score because Mario games are always light in plot.

It's going to make a billion dollars anyway.
Lathspell
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

That made me start thinking about past movies with the widest difference between critic and audience. It seems very rare that a movie is below 50% but still gets above 80% with the audience. I tried to ask ChatGPT to make me a list, but it just could not grasp the idea and kept giving me different ranges.

However, some that came up were:

"Tremors" (1990) - Critics Score: 50%, Audience Score: 85%
"The Boondock Saints" (1999) - Critics Score: 20%, Audience Score: 91%
"Major League" (1989) - Critics Score: 50%, Audience Score: 89%
"Can't Hardly Wait" (1998) - Critics Score: 42%, Audience Score: 80%

It didn't give me an animated movie under 50% critic and over 80% audience, though that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I'm too lazy to actually go check Rotten Tomatoes.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
There's been a few recently, but the first that comes to mind is Black Adam.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

This is probably where the biggest disconnect will be between critics and fans of the games.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's crazy how clear the divide is. The reviews from all the gaming and geek oriented sites are positive pretty much across the board.

The negative seems to be all critics who are disappointed in the thin plot. (Which...why would they expect otherwise if they're at all familiar with the games.)

I'm pretty encouraged by the positive ones I've read. Especially the IGN one above.

As a huge Mario fan and Nintendo fan I'm ready to see this thing.
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
Here's another list similar to what you're saying although different parameters

https://collider.com/notable-divides-between-audience-critic-scores-on-rotten-tomatoes/
The Porkchop Express
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

It's crazy how clear the divide is. The reviews from all the gaming and geek oriented sites are positive pretty much across the board.

The negative seems to be all critics who are disappointed in the thin plot. (Which...why would they expect otherwise if they're at all familiar with the games.)

I'm pretty encouraged by the positive ones I've read. Especially the IGN one above.

As a huge Mario fan and Nintendo fan I'm ready to see this thing.
If I had the Twitter I'd write a long review of it about how the cinematography is off and the tone of Mario's inner struggle is absent.
Max Power
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

That made me start thinking about past movies with the widest difference between critic and audience. It seems very rare that a movie is below 50% but still gets above 80% with the audience. I tried to ask ChatGPT to make me a list, but it just could not grasp the idea and kept giving me different ranges.

It didn't give me an animated movie under 50% critic and over 80% audience, though that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I'm too lazy to actually go check Rotten Tomatoes.
Being able to link a film to Tremors instantly takes it up a notch for me, regardless of anything else in her career I doubt Reba McIntire ever tops killing a tremor in her basement.
jokershady
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

That said, it is a little disappointing it couldn't even match Sonic's critic score.
to be fair….they re-edited the entire after the first trailer cause of how bad it looked and pissed off fans….

So not a fair comparison….if was a contest vs Sega…..which if we're measuring by reviews totally not a contest…..but if we're measuring by money then it's on like donkey Kong!
Claude!
Max Power said:

DallasTeleAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Being able to link a film to Tremors instantly takes it up a notch for me, regardless of anything else in her career I doubt Reba McIntire ever tops killing a tremor in her basement.
I dunno - "Fancy" was a banger of a song.
dcaggie04
AG
Claude! said:

Max Power said:

DallasTeleAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I dunno - "Fancy" was a banger of a song.

I don't think covering some else's song tops killing a tremor?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Up to 56% already. Might get into the 60s with how quick it's climbing from the initial score.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
BadMoonRisin
AG
It could get 20% and I wouldnt care. Still going to see it. My kids are going to love it and so am I probably. I doubt they will complain about the animation, voices, and thin story.
The Porkchop Express
AG
We're going Friday afternoon. Played Mario Kart with my fam for 45 minutes after school today. The hype is real.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
These reviews are clearly trying to be as ridiculous as possible, right?
TCTTS
AG
Grace Randolph has entered the chat…

Brian Earl Spilner
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.