The Super Mario Bros Movie

39,025 Views | 436 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Ghost of Bisbee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bluefire579 said:

This is going to be so terrible

Bet it scores higher than 80% critic and higher than 70% audience. Honestly would be shocked if it doesn't score higher
-Ben There/R.C.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

If I show my thumb calluses from beating bowser in Super Mario 64 twenty years ago, do I get in for free?

How about the palm blisters from the Mario Party tug of war minigame? That **** ruptured in my hand
-Ben There/R.C.
TCTTS
AG
In 1986 I was five years old and I still vividly remember going with my dad to a family friend's house on a Saturday afternoon, where their two sons, who were a few years older than me, were playing this brand new thing I had never seen before called "Nintendo." On the TV was the original Super Mario Bros, and it absolutely blew my mind. I had never played a video game before, and my world was completely rocked over the next hour or so.

After that, I *begged* my dad to get me a Nintendo, and finally, a few months later he relented. We went to Best (anyone remember those?), bought a Nintendo, and when I get home I was of course expecting Mario to be in the box, since it came with it back then, but instead, the version I got had Rad Racer for some reason. Which was cool, but I REALLY wanted to play Mario. And I couldn't ask my dad for another game, since he had just bought a whole Nintendo, and it wasn't even my birthday or anything. So I just got really, really good at Rad Racer instead.

I think I finally got Super Mario Bros. for Christmas a few months later, but man, it's hard to know which disappointed me more... not finding Mario in the box when I got home that day, or discovering how truly sh*tty the Power Glove was that I got for my birthday a couple years later.
AggieArchitect04
AG
Definitely taking the kids to see this one.

Even though it's me that wants to see it.
Ag Since 83
AG
There better be at least one "our princess is in another castle" joke
BadMoonRisin
Philo B 93
Are you all on drugs? I hope so, because that's the only way you'll enjoy this movie.
i is smart
AG
For some reason I had it in my head that this was going to be a live-action movie when they initially revealed Chris Pratt playing Mario. It was a nice surprise to find out this movie is animated upon opening this thread.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Philo B 93 said:

Are you all on drugs? I hope so, because that's the only way you'll enjoy this movie.

Shrooms?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Ghost of Bisbee said:

Definitely Not A Cop said:

If I show my thumb calluses from beating bowser in Super Mario 64 twenty years ago, do I get in for free?

How about the palm blisters from the Mario Party tug of war minigame? That **** ruptured in my hand

Mario Party would have had Nintendo sued if it came out today.

The worst one for me was the stupid Boo Bike one where you try to power on the lightbulb. I could almost never beat that one. Ruined at least two controllers trying to.
hunter2012
AG
My qualifier for this movie is Pratt needs to at least attempt an Italian accent.
jokershady
AG
really happy they didnt go with the classic mario voice cause man a whole 90 minutes (or more) of that wouldve gotten annoying really quick
jokershady
AG
and just for fun....lets reminisce from the "original" movie....

it was so bad on set that bob hoskins and john leguziamo were constantly drinking cause they hated being there so much

Quote:

In his 2007 autobiography John Leguizamo states he and Bob Hoskins hated working on the film and would frequently get drunk to make it through the experience. Both men apparently knew the movie would turn out bad, so they simply tried to make the best of it. He also stated he felt one of the biggest reasons the movie turned out the way it did was because the directors wanted a more "adult" movie while the studio, considering the source material, was looking for a children's film.

Quote:

Dennis Hopper explained why he did the film - "I made a picture called Super Mario Bros., and my six-year-old son at the time - he's now 18 - he said, 'Dad, I think you're probably a pretty good actor, but why did you play that terrible guy King Koopa in Super Mario Bros.?' and I said, 'Well Henry, I did that so you could have shoes,' and he said, 'Dad, I don't need shoes that badly.'"

Quote:

Dennis Hopper described the film's production - "It was a nightmare, very honestly, that movie. It was a husband and wife directing team who were both control freaks and wouldn't talk before they made decisions. Anyway, I was supposed to go down there for five weeks, and I was there for 17. It was so over budget."

Quote:

In a 2011 interview with The Guardian, Bob Hoskins described the film's production - "It was a f*ckin' nightmare. The whole experience was a nightmare. It had a husband-and-wife team directing, whose arrogance had been mistaken for talent. After so many weeks their own agent told them to get off the set! F*ckin' nightmare. F*ckin' idiots."

Quote:

After the film bombed at the box office, Nintendo stopped producing live-action theatrical films based on their video game franchises for a long while. A "Metroid" film was put into development, but never went past pre-production. Nintendo would eventually release another adaptation, Detective Pikachu, to improved critical and commercial success.

Quote:

An article in "Spy" magazine claimed that the script was being rewritten so many times during production that the actors stopped paying attention to these daily rewrites.

Quote:

John Leguizamo accidentally broke one of Bob Hoskins's fingers during a stunt involving the Mario van. According to Leguizamo, when it happened, Hoskins started cussing profusely and incoherently, but instantly forgave him.

Quote:

According to John Leguizamo in his autobiography, Rocky Morton once poured hot coffee on an extra's head because he didn't like the extra's costume.

Quote:

In addition to breaking his finger, Bob Hoskins recalled that he was stabbed four times, electrocuted and nearly drowned. "And that's just what happened to me".

and above all....this one really puts things in a different perspective for those that have seen it...

Quote:

Rocky Morton reflected on the movie in 2016 as a "harrowing" experience. He explained that he and Annabel Jankel, along with the rest of the cast, agreed to make the movie based on the script originally written by Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais, which focused on Mario and Luigi's complicated but loving family dynamic that they had developed in the absence of their parents. However, just a few weeks before shooting was to begin, the studio financing the film demanded significant rewrites to make the film more childlike and comedic. The final result, according to Morton, was a script that was not at all like the script that he, Jenkel, and the cast had signed on to film, and that the tone of the new script was not at all compatible with the sets, which had already been built. Morton also reflected that he felt very uneasy being put in the position of having to defend the new script. In addition, working with Dennis Hopper was "really, really hard. Really hard. I don't think [Dennis Hopper] had a clue what was going on." Despite describing the overall experience as humiliating, Morton is proud of the film considering the chaos created as a result of the late and unexpected script rewrites.
cajunaggie08
AG
TCTTS said:

I think I finally got Super Mario Bros. for Christmas a few months later, but man, it's hard to know which disappointed me more... not finding Mario in the box when I got home that day, or discovering how truly sh*tty the Power Glove was that I got for my birthday a couple years later.
chase128
AG
Can't wait to take my kid to see this.
Farmer1906
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Warcraft has the record with $439M. Not gonna be hard to clear that.
That was almost all international. Over 200 M in China.

Sonic 2 holds the domestic record. Sonic 1, Detective Pikachu, and Uncharted are all up there too.
Rex Racer
AG
Been following Mario's career since this:

I am IN!
redline248
AG
TCTTS said:

This looks awesome.

I hardly ever see animated stuff in theaters (the older I get, the creepier I come across showing up with no kids), but I'll be there for this one.
That's what the 11pm to midnight showings are for. People who take kids to those are the creepy ones
OnlyForNow
AG
Coming downstairs on Christmas morning in about 1989/1990, I was 4 or 5, me my brother and my sister heard the distinctive du-dut-duut-da-du-dut-dutt opening of the original game on NES.

My dad was in the study, and had turned it on when he heard us coming down the stairs. Was a really cool Christmas.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
When I was a young kid, my brother and I used to play SMB 1&2 on NES, and some Duck Hunt of course. For whatever reason, SMB 2 is the one I have the most memories of playing. Of course, being that I was 5 years old and you couldn't save your game, I'd never make it that far. I don't think we ever beat a single game on NES.

We got the Sega Genesis after that and it was all about Sonic and Street Fighter II for a while.

Then....the N64 came out. I was 8 years old in 1996, and there was nothing in the world I wanted more. Of course, like a lot of kids of that era, I had to wait until Christmas and hope it was under the tree on Christmas morning.

Went to sleep on Christmas Eve, praying and hoping for an N64 the next morning.

Woke up and it was still dark out. Must have been around 6 am. I walked over to my older brother's bed, shook him awake, and said let's go see what Santa brought us.

We walk into the living room...it was still dark. The tree was unlit, so we couldn't see much. My brother plugged in the tree lights, and... there it was. An N64, Super Mario 64, and Mortal Kombat Trilogy. To say I was excited is an understatement. I ran over to wake up my parents to tell them what Santa brought.

This was probably one of my last "Santa" Christmases, and remains the most memorable one by far.

My brother and I immediately hooked it up in my parent's room, put in Super Mario 64, and turned it on.

To this day, I'll never forget that moment of seeing Mario in a 3D world for the first time. It was amazing. When my brother handed me the controller (or more likely when I finally ripped it out of his hands), and I was able to move Mario in any direction I wanted, that was it. I was hooked.

Best video game moment of my life, and I've been a mega Mario fan ever since.

Sunshine, Galaxy, and Odyssey were all fantastic, but nothing could ever top Super Mario 64 for me. That, along with Ocarina of Time, remain my all-time favorite games.

Needless to say, when you get to Mushroom Kingdom at the end of Odyssey and you see Peach 's Castle so perfectly recreated, along with that familiar theme, and all the moons have become power stars, the nostalgia hit me like a ton of bricks.
hurleyag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

This was probably one of my last "Santa" Christmases, and remains the most memorable one by far.

He put you on the naughty list after that year?
Quad Dog
AG
I talked about this with my son last night. I've probably played at least 15 Mario games in my life.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I meant me believing in Santa. Though come to think of it I think I was still a Santa believer until 99. We got Goldeneye in 97 and Ocarina of Time in 98.

I was embarrassingly old when I let go of the whole Santa thing.

I specifically remember there being an argument in fourth grade about the existence of Santa (would've been 97-98), and I was on the Santa side...
Tobias Funke
AG
OnlyForNow said:

Coming downstairs on Christmas morning in about 1989/1990, I was 4 or 5, me my brother and my sister heard the distinctive du-dut-duut-da-du-dut-dutt opening of the original game on NES.

My dad was in the study, and had turned it on when he heard us coming down the stairs. Was a really cool Christmas.

My brother, every detail of this post is eerily similar to what my experience was.
TCTTS
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

TCTTS said:

Now THIS is a movie I was obsessed with. The big tournament at the end was our first-ever look at Super Mario Bros 3, and I remember trying to absorb every frame of it I could in those brief few looks we got. That was up there with any big movie trailer now, in the way I was trying study it and soak it in and was just in awe of how cool it looked. As a kid, I wanted nothing more than to play in that tournament, on those massive screens they had.

Pretty big cast for the time, too. Fred Savage, Christian Slater, and Beau Bridges...

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sex Panther
AG
And the girl in it grew up to be Indie music darling - Jenny Lewis
Sex Panther
AG
Also this movie looks ****ing awesome
The Porkchop Express
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

What the hell are you saying about Santa?
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Quad Dog
AG
Decay said:

So is this the second movie in the Bros Cinematic Universe

Between this, Detective Pikachu, and the Sonic movies we are setting up the Smash Bros Universe!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quad Dog said:

Decay said:

So is this the second movie in the Bros Cinematic Universe

Between this, Detective Pikachu, and the Sonic movies we are setting up the Smash Bros Universe!

Throw in Seth Rogen's own Donkey Kong movie, maybe even Wreck It Ralph, and you've got yourself your Avengers style setup for a cinematic Nintendo universe. That Smash Bros movie would make so much money.
NukeAg10
AG
My experience was very similar. I'm an only child, and my mom and I always spent Christmas Eve at my grandparents house. I woke up before everyone else and found the N64 already plugged in and ready. My first games were Mario 64, gold cartridge ocarina of time, and pilot wings. Amazing memories, and N64 is still and will always be the best.
Lathspell
AG
NukeAg10 said:

My first games were Mario 64, gold cartridge ocarina of time,
I mean... this is about as magical as you can get when it comes to gaming. Modern games are fantastic and everything, but in the late 90's, this was the world.

I still remember my step-mom picking me and and my stepbrothers up late on a Friday afternoon and taking us to gamestop to buy a used N64 and Super Mario 64. Getting home and firing that up for the first time is nostalgia at its height.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
96-00 Christmases each had an amazing N64 game.

96 - Super Mario 64
97 - Goldeneye
98 - Ocarina of Time
99 - Donkey Kong 64
00 - Majora's Mask

And then 01 was the GameCube + Super Smash Bros Melee. That's probably the best 5 year span for Nintendo in their history, imo. And made for some awesome Christmases.
Cromagnum
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Not really going to be for adults, but I'd hold off on calling it terrible. Nintendo is very careful with their IP (due in large part to what happened with the original SMB movie).

I'd bet this one is pretty polished.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.