Tokyo Vice

23,841 Views | 254 Replies | Last: 20 days ago by Max Power
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Finally caught up (through episode 2.3), and yeah, season two is cooking on all cylinders.

The way everyone has their guard down in Tozawa's absence, as tensions slowly mount all around, yet we now know he's finally back… so good. All while the show continues to look incredible, the sets/locations are so good, and overall it's simply unlike anything else on TV.

Why this isn't part of HBO's Sunday night lineup, I have no idea. Because it's easily the best thing on right now, and so much better than that other detective show that just ended.

Adelstein and Katagiri are the true True Detectives.
TCTTS
AG
I didn't realize episode four dropped at midnight.

Just knocked it out as well, and… damn.

I've gone from assuming this was a limited series to now wanting season after season after season.
bonfarr
AG
TCTTS said:

I didn't realize episode four dropped at midnight.

Just knocked it out as well, and… damn.

I've gone from assuming this was a limited series to now wanting season after season after season.

They will be out of source material after this season so if it continues they will have to create a new story line.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
TCTTS
AG
Damn. I didn't realize it was sticking so close to real life events. I thought it was more of an "inspired by" kind of thing.
bonfarr
AG
TCTTS said:

Damn. I didn't realize it was sticking so close to real life events. I thought it was more of an "inspired by" kind of thing.

Well the Edelstein character is enhanced to make him more interesting Hollywood style, i dont believe he was sleeping with a beautiful concubine of a Yakuza Don but the direction of this season with the ill Yakuza dude was in the book
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
TCTTS
AG
Gotcha. Good to know.
PatAg
AG
Show is so good
Sex Panther
AG
Just watched episode 4 to wash the True Detective taste out of my mouth. Damn this show is awesome
DallasTeleAg
Bah... i've been putting it off because I hate having to wait a week for the next episode. I may have to give that up this weekend if the quality is as high as yall have stated.
schmendeler
AG
Holy **** i thought there was zero chance of a season two, and i just saw this thread was updated, and i find out not only will there be a season two but that it came out like two weeks ago?!
FL_Ag1998
AG
Wow, with Tozowa (sp?) back the tension got ratched up to like 12 this latest episode. Love it!
Prosperdick
AG
SOOO many great storylines and characters. I'm still bummed that Miyamoto was killed off at the end of season 1 but at least Sato is still there (they were the two most interesting characters from season 1 IMO).

So glad to have this show back and when they showed the architect's house I'm like that's TOTALLY a Michael Mann special lol. I'm not sure how involved he still is with the show but that was a Mann house if I've ever seen one.
TCTTS
AG
I don't get the sense that Mann is very involved this year, but that's a great catch on the house. I didn't even think of that. It was so cool, and yeah, so perfectly Mann. That's totally what they were going for.
CCred92
AG
So what day do new episodes come out?
TCTTS
AG
Best I can tell, Thursdays, 12:00 AM Pacific. So basically five hours from now.
CCred92
AG
Thanks.
bonfarr
AG
Another great episode tonight but the one episode a week is killing me. This ain't the 90s drop that whole series on us and let us binge it dammit.
TCTTS
AG
Hell no. The binge model sucks, and basically everyone but Netflix has rightfully moved on from it. Binge shows disappear from the culture far too fast, and keep us from getting to have weekly discussions like this.
FL_Ag1998
AG
This is turning into the best gangster show on tv since The Sopranos. And I love the buddy dynamic developing between Jake and Sato.
PatAg
AG
The shot where Ken Watanabe uses the power side view mirrors to follow the Tozawa henchmen from the store to his car was a cool/unique shot
TCTTS
AG
Well that was certainly a game-changer.
TCTTS
AG
I'm halfway through tonight's episode and every single scene has me on edge. This is elite TV.
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

I'm halfway through tonight's episode and every single scene has me on edge. This is elite TV.
Same, just finished
TCTTS
AG
Phenomenal episode.
Shumba
AG
This show is great! It's giving me "The Wire" type vibes. I even thought that Miyamoto from last season was doing a great McNulty impersonation with his black leather jacket. This is the reason I'm keeping Max.

PatAg
AG
Delivered the goods again
Sex Panther
AG
Best show going right now and it's not close

Enjoyed seeing Jake back in the States and shedding light on how/why he ended up in Japan
TCTTS
AG
Sex Panther said:

Best show going right now and it's not close

Enjoyed seeing Jake back in the States and shedding light on how/why he ended up in Japan

100%.

And yeah, Jake being back in the states was a nice touch. What a great pickle they put him in too, with that heartbreaking decision in the end.

I also love that this season is ten episodes as opposed to last season's eight. We still have three more hours of story to play with, which I'm assuming culminates in the tease/flash forward that opened season one.
Sex Panther
AG
This is definitely getting another season right? I know someone said we're running out of book material, but seems like this show is doing really well and they've got more to build on especially with Sato and Hamaya
TCTTS
AG
I haven't heard anything yet, but I really, really hope so. I've at least noticed it in the top ten on Max basically the entire season, which is surely a good sign.

But yeah, this world is so rich it feels like it could run for four or five seasons, easy.

It just sucks that it doesn't get more buzz on social media, podcasts, etc, which it absolutely deserves. Maybe the subtitles are a barrier for some people?
PatAg
AG
I think its a Top 5 show since 2020, and seems like the type of show that normally gets a lot of attention. Dont know if its because its only on Max, or what exactly the deal is. I can say I personally know a lot of people who love it, but dont see it pop up in algorithms much.
Sex Panther
AG
Sex Panther said:

and they've got more to build on especially with Sato and Hamaya

Oh well... nevermind

Now I'm kind of worried that this show may be wrapping up after 2 seasons
FL_Ag1998
AG
Sex Panther said:

Sex Panther said:

and they've got more to build on especially with Sato and Hamaya

Oh well... nevermind

Now I'm kind of worried that this show may be wrapping up after 2 seasons

I still think it would be a lot to wrap up in the two episodes left this season. So that's my wishful thinking that there will be a 3rd season.
TCTTS
AG
It's so hard to say. This episode, more than any other, really felt like they're heading toward an endgame. And IMO, it wouldn't take that much more story for Jake to gather enough evidence to publish the article that presumably brings Tozawa down.

That said, if so, I could see a scenario in which they wrap up the story they set out to tell, at the end of this season, with two last episodes that can serve as a finale to the series if need be. But then, if the ratings are high enough, and they have a creative way forward, they could reseat the board for season three, with the same characters, but an all new case.

Either way, for me, this week's episode was maybe the best of the series, and I could not be more stoked to see how it all goes down. What a setup for the homestretch.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Best episode of the entire series!!! Unfortunately it's looking very much like this is likely the last season.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.