Tokyo Vice

23,831 Views | 254 Replies | Last: 20 days ago by Max Power
schmidthead
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thanks… I know nothing is set in stone but the writers/show runner were obviously thinking there would be a second season. No, it has not been announced yet but I can hardly imagine the show runner (and team) writing that last episode with such a massive cliffhanger. But HBO did have Deadwood… but the ending to that show (excluding the movie) was still pretty solid if I recall.
TCTTS
AG
If it doesn't get a second season, it likely has next to nothing to do with anything creative regarding the filmmakers or their future plans or whatever. I'm sure HBO Max had every intention of doing a second season, considering how much time and effort was put into this thing, the Michael Mann of it all, etc. The issue is the accusations against Ansel Elgort (allegations of sexually assaulting a minor) that came out after filming was complete. He was basically quasi-cancelled, and it's looking more and more like his potential radioactive-ness is what's keeping a second season from happening.
schmidthead
Sure I've heard the allegations (didn't know it was regarding a minor) so it's understandable that HBO wouldn't want to move forward for optics reasons (as far as I'm aware it's just allegations, right?j. Having said that, why not just re-cast? It's not that common but it happened with I Dream of Jeannie and other shows, and more recently on Wheel of Time (not to mention GoT either),
schmendeler
AG
What i recall from earlier is that the learning of Japanese was a big hurdle
TCTTS
AG
I'm currently working with an exec who worked on this, and he told me they couldn't recast because it took Elgort eight months to learn Japanese, and they obviously couldn't wait *another* eight months for a new actor learn Japanese + the time/resources for reshoots. It sounds like the project was potentially in jeopardy of not even seeing the light of day, when they decided to take their cue from Spielberg. If Spielberg released West Side Story with Elgort, they'd do the same. So when Spielberg moved forward, so did they.

That's a long way of saying, at this point it still might not even be worth it for HBO Max. Having another actor have to spend eight months learning Japanese is probably a headache everyone wants to avoid.

As for the allegations themselves, yeah, nothing was ever proven or tried, though I'm pretty sure there were screenshots of him soliciting the accuser over DM on Instagram, when she was 17 years old, and he was like 23 or something. He claims he didn't know she was 17, and that the assault didn't happen or that it was consensual or something, but I think the screenshots were enough to scare everyone away, at least for the time being.
BenFiasco14
AG
I can speak Japanese and, if I lost some weight, could look as nerdy as him
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
BenFiasco14
AG
I'm 30 now though. May as well be a lol old
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
jackie childs
TCTTS said:

I'm currently working with an exec who worked on this, and he told me they couldn't recast because it took Elgort eight months to learn Japanese, and they obviously couldn't wait *another* eight months for a new actor learn Japanese + the time/resources for reshoots. It sounds like the project was potentially in jeopardy of not even seeing the light of day, when they decided to take their cue from Spielberg. If Spielberg released West Side Story with Elgort, they'd do the same. So when Spielberg moved forward, so did they.

That's a long way of saying, at this point it still might not even be worth it for HBO Max. Having another actor have to spend eight months learning Japanese is probably a headache everyone wants to avoid.

As for the allegations themselves, yeah, nothing was ever proven or tried, though I'm pretty sure there were screenshots of him soliciting the accuser over DM on Instagram, when she was 17 years old, and he was like 23 or something. He claims he didn't know she was 17, and that the assault didn't happen or that it was consensual or something, but I think the screenshots were enough to scare everyone away, at least for the time being.
i'll admit that hearing Elgort speak Japanese was very cool, but i also think you could re-cast the role of Jake and pretty easily write around him having to speak it in Season 2. most of the bigger characters seemed to also speak english and Jake spends enough time with Samantha, his boss at the paper, his buddies at the paper and the two detectives that you could give any of them the Japanese dialogue that you cannot write around.

of course, HBO is probably much less worried about a S2 than we are.
Duncan Idaho
They could do like Will Farrel did with casa de mi Padre. And just learn how to speak Japanese phonetically
Duncan Idaho
Basically the opposite of this

https://www.tiktok.com/@mryang_english/video/7021040087823584513
PatAg
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

They could do like Will Farrel did with casa de mi Padre. And just learn how to speak Japanese phonetically
I remember reading an interview where Ansel said part of the appeal of doing it, is it allowed them to improvise scenes due to him being actually fluent. Or if not improvise, to give a better performance because he is actually acting and interacting with the other actor instead of just reciting sounds.

Now, maybe thats not worth it but it does make sense.
Duncan Idaho
I agree that it would be better if he were fluent. I just love how ridiculous casa de mi Padre was and saw a chance to bring it up
schmendeler
AG
I watched it recently for the first time a week or so ago. It's pretty funny. The love scene where the woman switches to a mannequin halfway through was hilarious.
schmidthead
Yeah that makes sense. I didn't think about the whole speaking Japanese thing
Max Power
AG
This is a pretty interesting piece on the dying of the yakuza in Japan. The actual Jake Adelstein takes the reporter from Vice around Japan where he interviews former and current yakuza.

TCTTS
AG
Weird that it was "announced" in an HBO Max trailer today, but to my knowledge this is the first official confirmation that we're getting a second season and that it's coming next year...

FL_Ag1998
AG
TCTTS said:

Weird that it was "announced" in an HBO Max trailer today, but to my knowledge this is the first official confirmation that we're getting a second season and that it's coming next year...

Dude, you seriously just made my day. I was all set on never getting a 2nd season thanks to all you Debbie Downers on this thread, but you just redeemed your earlier predictions of gloom with this post!
DallasTeleAg
So, finally got around to watching this show. I really enjoyed it, and especially enjoyed this fish out of water in Tokyo setting that we get. I had completely forgotten about all the scandal stuff around the actor until I came to this thread to post about the show. I went from disappointed we wouldn't get a Season 2, to now feeling hopeful about getting one.

For some reason, I thought this was a mini-series, so was actually surprised by the time I got to the last episode. I started thinking, there's no way they're going to complete this story.

I thought all the actors did a great job, and especially always love Ken Watanabe, whenever I see him.
PatAg
AG
Saw that Season 2 finished fiming this summer and releases in Feb sometime
TCTTS
AG
Tokyo Vice
Season 2 (10 Episodes)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2887954/
February 8, 2024
Max

FL_Ag1998
AG
TCTTS said:

Tokyo Vice
Season 2 (10 Episodes)
Max

I might be more excited about this than any other upcoming premiere. It's just so different from anything else on TV right now. I love it.
DallasTeleAg
Super stoked for this one. Loved Season 1. I just have a problem rewatching drama series because of the time investment. Hopefully they put together a good Season 1 summary to get us caught back up.
PatAg
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

TCTTS said:

Tokyo Vice
Season 2 (10 Episodes)
Max

I might be more excited about this than any other upcoming premiere. It's just so different from anything else on TV right now. I love it.
Stoked
PatAg
AG
This Thursday
Teddy Perkins
AG
First two episodes are up. Good stuff. Looking forward to the discussion. Make sure to stick around after episode 2 for the inside the story clip.

Season 1 Recap is also necessary since episode 1 picks right back up at the end of last season.
TCTTS
AG
Awesome, thanks. I'm definitely going to need that recap. I remember loving most of the first season, but then really disliking the finale. Though I can hardly remember the specifics now, and I didn't want to have to rewatch the finale all the way through for a refresh.
bonfarr
AG
Halfway thru Ep 2 and hooked on this show already.
YouBet
AG
Great show. Glad it's back.
DallasTeleAg
Man... and it's Friday. I will be tempted to just binge Season 1 again. I had no idea Season 2 just released!
bonfarr
AG
When I finish both seasons I plan to read Josh Adelstein's Tokyo Vice book that the series is based on. There was some drama a while back where the Hollywood Reporter printed skepticism on some of the stories in the book and Adelstein posted source material to Twitter supporting his claims.
RadAg14
AG
Let's Go!!!
The Dog Lord
AG
Nothing to add at the moment. Just want to say I'm 5 episodes into season 1 and really enjoying this.
TCTTS
AG
I don't know what I was expecting the first go around, since I really disliked the season one finale initially (but loved everything leading up to it). That said, I went ahead and rewatched it tonight for more of a refresh, before starting the new season… and it was great this time around? It really raises the stakes and sets up season two perfectly. Maybe I was expecting a limited series or for it not to get renewed? And wanted more closure? Either way, what a fantastic show, and I'm now more excited than ever to dive into season two…
PatAg
AG
First 2 episodes picked up right where it left off quality wise. I'm still not really that interested in Samantha's story line but it's not that a show ruiner either
El Gallo Blanco
TCTTS said:

I don't know what I was expecting the first go around, since I really disliked the season one finale initially (but loved everything leading up to it). That said, I went ahead and rewatched it tonight for more of a refresh, before starting the new season… and it was great this time around? It really raises the stakes and sets up season two perfectly. Maybe I was expecting a limited series or for it not to get renewed? And wanted more closure? Either way, what a fantastic show, and I'm now more excited than ever to dive into season two…
I really enjoy the hell out of this show. And the classic "Michael Mann" feel at times. Need to go back and rewatch at least the second half of the Season 1 finale though, for the same reason.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.