Tokyo Vice

23,816 Views | 254 Replies | Last: 20 days ago by Max Power
schmendeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lmao
NukeAg10
AG
Completely agree. I was there from 2015-2019. Absolutely loved it and didn't want to come back, but I had no way to stay unless I extended on the ship which wasn't going to happen. I'd happily be stationed there again. It's a really awesome country.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Ionno about that finale, bro.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Definitely didn't feel like one.
Sea Speed
AG
Japan is freaking awesome. Been 4 or 5 times i think. Would very much like to go back.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Head Ninja In Charge said:

Ionno about that finale, bro.
The more I marinate on it, the more I'm disappointed. Just too many random events. Let's do meth in exchange for getting some intel. Let's have Samantha act a fool with the cash she has been saving, hiding, and meticulously protecting. Remember this guy that had beef with Sato, let's have him stab Sato out of the blue after weeks of not doing anything without any explanation. Let's have someone drop a video off at Jake's that perfectly captures the missing girl's murder. Let's have this supposedly solid detective not have any fail-safe plan for a solo stakeout. Just so much WTF.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
I've been to Japan twice and been plotting on ways to get back there ASAP. It's the coolest place on Earth.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
All of this.
schmidthead
In fairness, he really thinks so.
Prosperdick
AG
You can't slow burn a show and then suddenly pile on some deaths (and one off screen) and have smart characters acting dumb when you've established they wouldn't act that way. I expected more from Mann…still a very stylistically cool show but this episode ruined it a lot for me.

One final point, the new guy who screwed up the soup and compounded it further was a waste of screen time we needed to deal with the plot. I'm still not sure why we needed that tangent considering what happens to his mentor.

Hopefully I kept my comments vague enough to not warrant spoiler tags.
TCTTS
AG
Sato and Miyamato were PHENOMENAL characters, with so much story left to tell, and neither should have been killed off this episode. I seriously cannot believe they did that. Granted, we didn't actually *see* either of them die for sure, but I'd surprised if either survived. It's especially dumb because they set up such compelling stories/arcs for both of them this episode, heading into next season, only to off them at the last minute. I mean WTF???

Honestly, though, as good as the rest of the season was, the more I think about it, the more surprised I'll be if there's even a second season. If only because of the Ansel Elgort of it all, and that it might just not be worth the headache for HBO Max of having to deal with all the potential blowback of hiring him again. It's so hard to tell how toxic he his at the moment, but if I had to bet, they air on the side of caution and just cut their loses. If so, after that finale, I can't really blame them.
Teddy Perkins
AG
If there's no second season and this is how the story ends, then damn, they really botched the end IMO.
Kampfers
AG
FWIW I don't think Sato dies. And I wouldn't be surprised if the kid he recruited is the one that saves him

I've felt for a while that Sato will end up being Jake's source inside the Yakuza after the tozawa business wraps up.

Agreed with all that it will be massively unsatisfying if this is how it ends / it is not renewed.
Prosperdick
AG
TCTTS said:

Sato and Miyamato were PHENOMENAL characters, with so much story left to tell, and neither should have been killed off this episode. I seriously cannot believe they did that. Granted, we didn't actually *see* either of them die for sure, but I'd surprised if either survived. It's especially dumb because they set up such compelling stories/arcs for both of them this episode, heading into next season, only to off them at the last minute. I mean WTF???

Honestly, though, as good as the rest of the season was, the more I think about it, the more surprised I'll be if there's even a second season. If only because of the Ansel Elgort of it all, and that it might just not be worth the headache for HBO Max of having to deal with all the potential blowback of hiring him again. It's so hard to tell how toxic he his at the moment, but if I had to bet, they air on the side of caution and just cut their loses. If so, after that finale, I can't really blame them.
Those two actors BY FAR had the most charisma of any of the other actors (including the main ones). People always talk about David Caruso in NYPD Blue and how he commanded every scene and was blowing away seasoned actors off the screen. That's how I felt about those two...I mean why Mann, why?
TCTTS
AG
Charisma is the perfect word, and they absolutely had it. That, and they both just *looked* cool as hell.

As for Mann, I don't know how much input he had on the season as a whole. He no doubt was aware of everything they had planned, and likely contributed quite a bit, but he was brought on to direct a pilot that already existed and was initially developed without his involvement. So he may have just swooped in, gave some notes, helped set the tone/look/vibe for the show, gave it his stamp of approval, and then peaced out. I'm not 100% sure.
PatAg
AG
My thought on other yak stabbing Sato, is it was directed by the 2nd in command. He doesnt like that Sato is coming in and gaining influence over him.
Remember the discussion Sato and Ishida had, "how to do it and not get caught", there doesnt seem to be much of a rule against killing each other in the Yakuza as long as no one can prove you did it.
It's possible that dude just waited until now to stab him, but I think my theory makes more sense in that world.

I think Sato doesn't die, but I think Miyamoto's death does make sense. Didn't we all immediately think he had been fed a false plan by Tozawa to see if he would immediately rat on the Yakuza?

I also agree completely that the actors of Sato and Miyamota just have incredible screen presence. I also think Tozawa's bodyugard has a really distinct vibe in his smaller appearances. I think his character is Yabuki

TCTTS
AG
I like that theory. Makes a lot of sense.

And in agreement that Sato probably lives, while, yeah, Miyamoto's fate was sealed the second he suggested to Tozawa they keep working together. Still, that doesn't take away from him being a great character I wanted to see so much more from. He felt like the Han Solo of the series, and him coming clean to Hiroto felt like it was setting up what could have been incredible redemption arc in season two. THEN they could have killed him, say, at the end of season two, in heartbreaking The Wire fashion. It just felt so premature otherwise.
Boo Weekley

I've been to Japan twice and been plotting on ways to get back there ASAP. It's the coolest place on Earth.
I am curious to get some of your input on what makes it so cool. Tokyo just looks like any other hyper clustered and congested mega metropolis to me. And the people seem about as introverted and robotic as it gets. Hyper expensive and their birth rates are dwindling from what I understand as people are increasingly choosing technology over relationships with real people.

I am wondering if I have been fed lies my whole life, since several people I respect are giving it a ton of cred.
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

I like that theory. Makes a lot of sense.

And in agreement that Sato probably lives, while, yeah, Miyamoto's fate was sealed the second he suggested to Tozawa they keep working together. Still, that doesn't take away from him being a great character I wanted to see so much more from. He felt like the Han Solo of the series, and him coming clean to Hiroto felt like it was setting up what could have been incredible redemption arc in season two. THEN they could have killed him, say, at the end of season two, in heartbreaking The Wire fashion. It just felt so premature otherwise.
Agreed in all of that.
I could just not understand the english-speaking market's preferences, but I think all of the Japanese characters speak good enough English to cross over if they want to.

Ken Watanabe still did a lot of non-US movies after his breakthrough.
Brad 98
AG
i loved this show! I do hope they renew for a 2nd season!
BenFiasco14
AG
Are there any shows similar to this floating around? Japanese setting, darker in tone? I watched Alice in borderland already. Finished this just now
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
FredMc92
Boo Weekley said:

I am curious to get some of your input on what makes it so cool. Tokyo just looks like any other hyper clustered and congested mega metropolis to me. And the people seem about as introverted and robotic as it gets. Hyper expensive and their birth rates are dwindling from what I understand as people are increasingly choosing technology over relationships with real people.

I am wondering if I have been fed lies my whole life, since several people I respect are giving it a ton of cred.
I know when I want to know how cool a city is, the first thing I do is look up their birth rates!
TCTTS
AG
This is the lens through which certain people from a certain board view the world. Negativity, error, doom, gloom, and grievances everywhere.

Imagine someone saying "Tokyo" and that spiel being the first thing that comes to mind. Rather than, you know, the richness/uniqueness of the culture, the atmosphere, the food, the sites, etc.
BenFiasco14
AG
Boo Weekley said:

Well the show does a pretty good job capturing how different their country is culturally from us. It can sometimes be like being on a different planet but in the best kind of way.

Extremely clean. Most people are extremely if not excruciatingly polite. Food is great. Easy to get around. Arcades 10 stories tall. Drinking is a sport to the Japanese.

Also, as a foreigner, you'll be an oddity to Japanese folks (especially if you get outside of Tokyo). Learn a few phrases in Japanese and they'll lose their ***** I've never felt more like a rockstar than when I was in Japan, lol - I'd wear my boots and jeans and I got called "cowboy" so many times. Tell them you're from texas and they'll lose their minds.

It's unlike anywhere else in the world.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
schmendeler
AG
Just watched episode 8 i had no idea that was the season finale. I went to watch the next episode and that's it. Talk about television blue balls.
Duncan Idaho
I was just coming here to say "well that was certainly unfilling"
schmendeler
AG
That's a nicer way to put it lol
Duncan Idaho
Not if I change the way I spelled coming
ac04
really loved season one. watched episode 8 on friday night and still pretty bothered by sato getting stabbed whenever i think about it. very reminiscent of bodie getting killed in the wire in how it affected me.
Boo Weekley
BenFiasco14 said:

Boo Weekley said:

Well the show does a pretty good job capturing how different their country is culturally from us. It can sometimes be like being on a different planet but in the best kind of way.

Extremely clean. Most people are extremely if not excruciatingly polite. Food is great. Easy to get around. Arcades 10 stories tall. Drinking is a sport to the Japanese.

Also, as a foreigner, you'll be an oddity to Japanese folks (especially if you get outside of Tokyo). Learn a few phrases in Japanese and they'll lose their ***** I've never felt more like a rockstar than when I was in Japan, lol - I'd wear my boots and jeans and I got called "cowboy" so many times. Tell them you're from texas and they'll lose their minds.

It's unlike anywhere else in the world.

Damn that sounds pretty awesome TBH.

The only Japanese I know is "chin chin buta buta sausage" (your pen*s jiggles like sausage) and "chin chin mota maisin" (I have no pen*s). Prob butchered the phonetic spelling. Had a Japanese buddy on the baseball team in HS who was absolutely hilarious and would teach us all kinds of crazy sh**. He didn't speak much English but it was plenty sufficient bc everyone on the team thought he was awesome.

I should retract my post from earlier. While a lot of the stuff I hear about the Japanese these days makes them seem really weird, the few Japanese immigrants I have interacted with or befriended in my life have all been awesome dudes so I should prob keep that in mind.

Max Power
AG
Finished up the season this weekend, and while I still really enjoyed it overall, I felt the finale was a bit unsatisfying. I wasn't expecting a cliffhanger, I thought this was going to be a more of a mini-series than a show that was going to build toward a new season in the future. I would still recommend the show because I enjoyed it so much, but the ending just fell a little flat for me.
Prosperdick
AG
I'd be happy with Miyamoto and Katagirl teaming up like Crockett and Tubbs and just plain Miami Vice it but in Tokyo. That way you don't need Elgort and his baggage and you keep Sato and his crew who sometimes work with Miyamoto/Katagirl and sometimes clash.

That would be a fantastic show without the whole fish out of water with Elgort storyline and how his sister is doing...sorry, that stuff just didn't interest me at all.

Unfortunately episode 8 threw a monkey in the wrench on that plan.
schmendeler
AG
I feel like they kind of need to get to the scene that opened the first episode.
WES2006AG
AG
schmendeler said:

I feel like they kind of need to get to the scene that opened the first episode.
Yep, very surprised they didn't at least get back to that point. That was an intense way to start the series.
Prosperdick
AG
schmendeler said:

That's 2 years into the future, right? I thought this season would get us right up to that point but unless I'm off on the timelines it sounds like at best we might get to that flash forward scene at the end of season 2 but with all the Elgort stuff it's likely they just scrap it altogether.

I guess I'm saying I'd rather see a Tokyo (Miami) Vice show than what we ultimately got. We still get all the cool stuff of Tokyo and the underbelly of the city without the Jake drama. Also, don't get me wrong, I really like Elgort as an actor but I felt Sato and Miyamoto blew everyone off the screen, even Watanabe although I'd still like him involved.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.