Squid Game?

23,484 Views | 159 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by SJEAg
West Point Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PooDoo said:

It's all the rage with the middle schoolers.

This board always gives high quality reasons TO or TO NOT watch something! This right here is good enough for me to avoid!
mazag08
AG
aznaggiegirl07 said:

As a Korean, I think some things may be lost in translation and it's sucks and cultural nuisances throughout the series

I don't know man. I told my wife that I would dump her for the crazy lady in a split second. The dubbed voice actress nailed that role.
PatAg
AG
For those of you that didn't really like it, have you watched or enjoyed many other Korean films/tv shows before this?
I think they have a pretty distinct style, generally speaking, and this show is very much in that style.

Not saying you are wrong for not liking it, and I have friends who felt the same way. Just curious.
taxpreparer
AG
I watched the first episode and did not feel involved. I moved to Sisyphus and am enjoying it more. It is also Korean and I am watching the dubbed version.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
AustinAg2K
I tried watching last night (subtitles) and fell asleep before the games even started. I'm going to try again, but I don't know that I can take the main dude for a whole series.

I'm not sure if I've watched much Korean Cinema. I have watched a fair amount Hong Kong and Japanese Cinema, though. I'm not sure how much Korean differs.
oragator
Yeah I am Three episodes in and enjoy it, but I've enjoyed a number of Korean shows as I like their style. Crash landed on you, my mister among others. But it isn't for everyone, Korean shows have longer episode lengths, are a bit slower and always have a deep dive into Korean social mores that don't make a lot of sense to us sometimes.
As far as the main character, he is better when he is on the island. Much more watchable. And the basic set up is good, looking forward to the rest of the season, but not sure why it's the crazy phenomenon it is.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Lee JungJae is one of the biggest actors in Korea. They probably paid him a lot of money to do this. I would highly recommend watching him in Shinsegae (New World). He's a very good actor. This role is really unlike anything he has done.

I'm two episodes in and am hooked. As previously mentioned by another poster, there is a lot of Korean culture in what I've seen so far so having that background probably makes a difference. Also, just my personal taste, watching anything in dubbing lessens the viewing experience.

Actually the creator of this show has been wanting to make this for over a decade. It likely wouldn't have been well-received on regular Korean TV (or have been allowed in the way he wanted it). Netflix finally made his vision possible. Netflix is absolutely making a killing with Korean content around the world.
aggierogue
AG
Premium said:

You'd probably like The Platform on Netflix as well.

I wouldn't wish that movie on my worst enemy.
PatAg
AG
I'll say, I generally don't buy fully into the "dub is crap, only sub" because I think it's generally an outdated take. I also will multitask, so dubbed makes that easier to do.

However, there are still some times where the dub voice acting is not that great compared to the original performance, and this is one of those times. I watched the first episode with dubs, then started it over just to see with subs on, and it was night and day how much better the Korean performances were.
Big Al 1992
AG
I can see a lot more people talking about this after they binge it this weekend. The games were suspenseful enough but like the players, left me wondering why go through all the effort to give away money and entertain a few VIPs. And never talked about "how" they got all the workers involved. At least explain it away that it's some sort of cult that has bought in to running the games and eliminating contestants.
Premium
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

I can see a lot more people talking about this after they binge it this weekend. The games were suspenseful enough but like the players, left me wondering why go through all the effort to give away money and entertain a few VIPs. And never talked about "how" they got all the workers involved. At least explain it away that it's some sort of cult that has bought in to running the games and eliminating contestants.

The way I look at it, the workers weren't of high moral integrity. I figured they could have been lured with money, easily, perhaps with similar debt issues as the contestants. After all, they have a whole underground organ harvesting operation, against the knowledge of the leaders -
DannyDuberstein
AG
Entertaining enough for me to finish. I probably should have stuck with subtitles only because I think they got the dub voice actors from community college. The crazy lady and gangster were particularly ridiculous
Saint Pablo
The crazy lady was brutal.
DannyDuberstein
AG
That said, I wanna bang Sae-byeok
JoCoAg09
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

I saw an interview with the writer/director where he said if a season 2 comes to be, it would likely dive into the games' leader, which I would hope answers these questions along the way.
SJEAg
AG
I use dubs, but the crazy lady voice made that character unbearable. I wonder if she comes off as a good actor with subtitles or her native tongue to Koreans. Hard to imagine.
DannyDuberstein
AG
SJEAg said:

I use dubs, but the crazy lady voice made that character unbearable. I wonder if she comes off as a good actor with subtitles or her native tongue to Koreans. Hard to imagine.

The facial expressions were telling me that it probably wasn't much better in Korean. Similar with gangster guy. That's partly why I didn't switch
oragator
Debate over how accurate the subtitles are.

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2021/10/688_316721.html
Enzo The Baker
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

SJEAg said:

The facial expressions were telling me that it probably wasn't much better in Korean. Similar with gangster guy. That's partly why I didn't switch

She wasn't a bad actor in Korean. She played the part well IMO. I understand dubbing for a convenience sake but actors are casted for a reason. Directors aren't thinking in the middle of shooting 'nope, stop, an English voice would not look good over that.' This is a Korean show. Not a Hollywood production.

I will say though, if there are more Korean shows that become big Netflix productions, they really should pay a little bit more for better foreign (non-Korean) talent and English writing for their foreign actors. It's kind of slim pickins for decent foreign actors in Korea, but I do think it would make the shows a little better for a global audience. But then again, Hollywood does the same thing for their lesser foreign roles. So I'm not sure what is right.

At any rate, Korean entertainment is kicking butt. I really enjoyed this series a lot and am completely on board for Season 2.
PatAg
AG
Yea, the rich guys had just incredibly awful writing and acting
Malibu
It was a fun immersive experience. I thought a lot of the the directorial decisions were questionable lingering over NPC deaths too long with sometimes cartoonish effect. I also wish that the end was gangster vs protagonist instead of the childhood friend becoming the big bad. The gangster was a great villain and I think I'd like to have seen him defeat the annoying lady who vows to kill him in a GOT evil sometimes wins kind of way.

I also ready a few articles about subtitles missing key language nuances that make some of the twists more shocking and impactful, as well as miss some social commentary about class in Korea / West writ large. Ok, fine, but you're still killing people playing kids games with bloody deaths, so some of that nuance is puffery to make low brow gratuitous violence seem somehow more sophisticated and thoughtful than it actually is.
oragator
Episode six is a kick in the nuts.
oragator
Finished it tonight.
I did like the twist in the final episode. and it definitely gets darker as the season goes on.
I also am surprised at how it ended. Most Korean shows only do one season so they can tell the story they were meant to tell. its actually why i like Korean shows, US shows drag things out do they can sell additional seasons and the quality goes to crap. But this one left the door open for more, even with it mostly wrapped up.
i do wish they had cast the women in particular differently, maybe its cultural but i didn't feel anything for any of them in the game.
Hincemm
AG
good not great. ending was kinda meh. call it a guilty pleasure
Faustus
Enzo The Baker said:

Lee JungJae is one of the biggest actors in Korea. They probably paid him a lot of money to do this. I would highly recommend watching him in Shinsegae (New World). He's a very good actor. This role is really unlike anything he has done.

I'm two episodes in and am hooked. As previously mentioned by another poster, there is a lot of Korean culture in what I've seen so far so having that background probably makes a difference. Also, just my personal taste, watching anything in dubbing lessens the viewing experience.

Actually the creator of this show has been wanting to make this for over a decade. It likely wouldn't have been well-received on regular Korean TV (or have been allowed in the way he wanted it). Netflix finally made his vision possible. Netflix is absolutely making a killing with Korean content around the world.
That's a little on the nose.
dcAg
It was great and I watched it dubbed and with subtitles.

The Platform is much different.
AgsMnn
AG
Was a mix between hunger games and Saw.
fc2112
I've watched two episodes and really enjoyed it

I want this clock too.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CUs8WnxpyfK/?utm_medium=copy_link
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Not real sure what to think of it. I enjoyed it, but the VIPs were so freaking cheesy. I mean just outright terrible and distracting.

The old guy twist at the end was kinda dumb too. One of the only endearing characters and you did that.

Season 2 could be interesting with a deeper dive into the workers.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Not real sure what to think of it. I enjoyed it, but the VIPs were so freaking cheesy. I mean just outright terrible and distracting.

The old guy twist at the end was kinda dumb too. One of the only endearing characters and you did that.

One thing to remember about the VIPs, as awful as they were, was that this was filmed during the pandemic and unless there was someone at our army base in Seoul that also moonlighted as a voice actor, the pickin's for American/Western voice actors in South Korea at the time had to have been pretty slim.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Head Ninja In Charge said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

One thing to remember about the VIPs, as awful as they were, was that this was filmed during the pandemic and unless there was someone at our army base in Seoul that also moonlighted as a voice actor, the pickin's for American/Western voice actors in South Korea at the time had to have been pretty slim.

I get that… but then why do they have to be Americans? I mean, I get that it's a commentary on western capitalism, but they could have been wealthy Koreans as well. And would have had the same impact, I think.
PatAg
AG
When in doubt, cast good actors.
Duncan Idaho
oragator said:

Debate over how accurate the subtitles are.

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2021/10/688_316721.html

What is funny is the English subs didn't match the English dub
hph6203
AG
AgsMnn said:

Was a mix between hunger games and Saw.
Co-worker asked me today if I'd seen it, said no I watched the trailer and looked like a mix between Hunger Games and Saw and wasn't interested. He said it was deeper than that, at least my initial impression was right.

Very skeptical this is actually any good.
PatAg
AG
It's very loosely like hunger games, and not really like Saw in any way.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.