Squid Game?

23,360 Views | 159 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by SJEAg
Gramercy Riffs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Did I miss a thread on this, or has nobody bothered to give it a shot yet? I'm five episodes in and it's not great, but I'm still watching. It'll be easy to pick this one apart for more reasons than the really cheesy dialogue we get from these foreign shows, but the game scenes are brutal and keep me in it. Curious to see what others think.
Bevo99
I thought Alice in Borderland was much better.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Cool. I can't tell if you've actually seen it or you're doing that thing people do in order to point out that something wasn't an original idea. Thoughts on this particular show?
Bevo99
Sorry, I watched all of Squid Game, just wasn't particularly impressed.

Of all the games they played, only the marble game was interesting. The storylines with the cop and organ harvesting seemed like they were just thrown in because didn't have enough story to fill an entire season. The twist with the cop's brother was predictable. The twist with the old man was surprising, but in a roll-your-eyes kind of way.

TV series / movies about deadly game shows are nothing new, that wasn't the point I was trying to make.

I was just comparing it to something very similar that I thought was much more interesting.
BigAg95
AG
I watched Ep 1 last night. We watched the dubbed version (not sure if there is a subtitled option), and it was almost unwatchable until the game started. I thought they did a good job setting up multiple characters in a short amount of time so you have more players of interest than just the main guy.
redeyeone
AG
I watched the subtitle version. I enjoyed the show but I agree with the poster above that Alice in Borderland was much better.
gggmann
AG
I watched it the first 4-5 episodes. It gets better as relationships develop between the characters, but I still don't think it's very good.

I was really hoping it was going to be like Battle Royal.

BTW, always watch the subtitle version of a show if it's an option. There's too much emotion lost through dubbing.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
The differences in voices between actual and dubbed are always hilarious, and this show doesn't disappoint in that regard.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
And at this point, I'm only watching to see what the next game is. The rest is pretty bad.
BigAg95
AG
gggmann said:

I watched it the first 4-5 episodes. It gets better as relationships develop between the characters, but I still don't think it's very good.

I was really hoping it was going to be like Battle Royal.

BTW, always watch the subtitle version of a show if it's an option. There's too much emotion lost through dubbing.
If I was in the mood to read I wouldn't be scraping the bottom of the Netflix barrel.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Not sure about bottom of the barrel, it's the number 1 show on Netflix right now. With that said, I thought it was great. I liked all of the characters and their motivations and the game scenes were awesome. I don't know how any of y'all made it through even one episode watching the dubbed version though. It makes it unwatchable for me.
Fritter
AG
I'm almost finished with it. I've actually really enjoyed it. There are some cheesy things that bring you out of the seriousness of the situation. But it's a television show. The final couple of games have been pretty brutal and emotional. All in all I'm happy to have watched it.
Madmarttigan
AG
Cop storyline annoyed me with how it ended. Also don't like the main character in the beginning and he just annoys me with his decision at the end like why did he go through it all just to be a bad Dad… again.
FriendlyAg
Marble game had me crying. I wanted a happier ending though.
CoolaidWade
AG
redeyeone said:

I watched the subtitle version. I enjoyed the show but I agree with the poster above that Alice in Borderland was much better.
Loved Alice in Borderland.
jr15aggie
AG
The dubbed voices sound exactly like the video game Yakuza Like a Dragon. Not surprised at all if some of the voice actors are the same. Gives the show a funny / black comedy edge to it... may not be intentional, but I enjoy it that way. Only 2 episodes in so far... really like the first one, second was pretty boring.
Jinx
Ep 6. "Gganbu" was by far the best/worst ep for me. I was actually quite surprised I watched it all in 2 sittings, I get squeamish easily but it got its hooks in me. Subtitled.
boy09
AG
Finished it last night, overall i enjoyed it. The big reveal of the Front Man just kind of...happened, without a lot of explanation or anything. And by the time it actually happened, it was pretty obvious.

I also couldn't watch the dubbed version. I like to watch everything with subtitles anyway, and the english dub and the subtitles did not match. It was very distracting.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Not sure why I chose the dubbed version this time, but it definitely killed it for me. Will stick to subtitles from now on. The voice actor for the crazy lady was incredibly over the top, among other complaints.

Two episodes into Alice now, and it seems like a better show so far.
PooDoo
AG
It's all the rage with the middle schoolers.
CondensedFogAggie
Honestly am mixed about exactly how good the show is, but I couldn't stop watching. This fight to the death genre isn't exactly new, but there were a good amount of entertaining, unexpected twists.

It's bloody, grotesque, raw, with maybe a couple specs of human decency. Would highly recommend watching if you can stomach the blood.
boy09
AG
CondensedFoggyAggie said:

Honestly am mixed about exactly how good the show is, but I couldn't stop watching.

Almost exactly what I told a friend of mine, I enjoyed it, but I can't tell if it was actually "good" or not.
Premium
AG
If you watch Squid Game and Alice in Borderland, give the human version (not anime) of Kakegurui a look (Netflix)
Premium
AG
You'd probably like The Platform on Netflix as well.
Michael Cera Palin
AG
I enjoyed it, but oh my god the VIPs were so damn cheesy
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
PWestAg18 said:

I enjoyed it, but oh my god the VIPs were so damn cheesy

LOL. Will agree this was the worst part of any otherwise great series. I think it's just the age old thing with Asian movies/shows and their impression of how English-speaking westerners act and sound. You saw it a lot with a lot of Jackie Chan's movies in the 90's.
Rex Racer
AG
We are now watching Alice in Borderland, and we agree it is better. The Hide and Seek episode was really good. Wow.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Premium said:

You'd probably like The Platform on Netflix as well.

Interesting concept, bad movie
KT_Ag08
AG
The Platform was one of the worst movies I've seen. Epically bad.
Mr President Elect
AG
Rex Racer said:

We are now watching Alice in Borderland, and we agree it is better. The Hide and Seek episode was really good. Wow.
I really enjoyed Alice in Borderland as well but worried that it will never actually bring any resolution to what is going on or go back to reality, and just turn into a game per episode kind of format similar to network tv shows. To where at least squid games has a tie-in to the real-world and could go in several directions
David_Puddy
AG
boy09 said:

CondensedFoggyAggie said:

Honestly am mixed about exactly how good the show is, but I couldn't stop watching.

Almost exactly what I told a friend of mine, I enjoyed it, but I can't tell if it was actually "good" or not.

Same here. I'm all the way through to the last episode which I plan on watching tonight.
Jinx
Coming to the conclusion that it's a train wreck. People are oddly compelled to finish it even though its not particularly great or novel.
Rex Racer
AG
Mr President Elect said:

Rex Racer said:

I really enjoyed Alice in Borderland as well but worried that it will never actually bring any resolution to what is going on or go back to reality, and just turn into an game per episode kind of format similar to network tv shows. To where at least squid games has a tie-in to the real-world and could go in several directions

It's based on a graphic novel, so I hope it has an ending. But I have not read it, so…
Saint Pablo
Wow. That was crazy
aznaggiegirl07
AG
As a Korean, I think some things may be lost in translation and it's sucks and cultural nuisances throughout the series

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.