Christopher Nolan's next project - Oppenheimer and the A-Bomb?

65,865 Views | 759 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Chipotlemonger
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Honestly, if this happens, I wouldn't have a problem with it. July is crowded as hell. Releasing just a week after Mission: Impossible, and the same day as Barbie, has never made sense to me. That, and this is the worst December slate I can remember, so sliding Oppenheimer in around then would be perfect. Yes, we'd have to wait an additional five months, but the good news is, if they're delaying for a big awards push, that means they're incredibly confident in its chances (i.e. it's a hell of a movie)…

veryfuller
Staff
AG
After reading this stuff, I'm doubtful this guy knows anything about a delay. I would be shocked if a Nolan movie wasn't finished when Nolan said it would be. He's just that kind of operator.

Also, 8/10 best picture winners of the last 10 years have released November or earlier. Any that didn't ran the festival circuit beforehand, so the movie at least has to be ready to release by early August...which is just 10 days later the current plan.

I just don't see Nolan wanting to do the awards game and pushing his film from his traditional summer release date. He tried it with Interstellar and that didn't work out for him. Dunkirk did fine. I would be very surprised if they pushed the movie.
TCTTS
AG
hunter2012
AG
Coming in hot...

TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Per usual with Nolan, I'm guessing we won't see the trailer online (officially, at least) before it hits theaters. The last Oppenheimer trailer debuted in theaters on Thursday, December 15 with Avatar: The Way of Water, and was then released online the morning of Sunday, December 18. So, iff the same strategy holds, we'll see this new one online Sunday, May 7.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Malachi Constant
AG
Cannot wait for this!
The Porkchop Express
That trailer before GOTG3 is going to freak a lot of kids out.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
cbr
AG
So interested in this. The physics is incredible. The brains behind it supernatural. The results biblical. If this is done well, it could be one of the all time greats.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

That trailer before GOTG3 is going to freak a lot of kids out.
Probably. That trailer for Prometheus in front of The Avengers was not great for my 6-year-old at that time.
TCTTS
AG
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 is rated PG-13.

If you're bringing kids younger than 13 - say, for instance, ones that might get scared by things like an Oppenheimer or Prometheus trailer - that's on you.

It's pretty simple.

I took my then eight-year-old nephews to Spider-Man: No Way Home and one of them was so scared by the Green Goblin that we had to leave halfway through. Lesson learned.
jeffk
AG
I was scared by the 80 for Brady previews we got before Puss in Boots.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

If you're bringing kids younger than 13 - say, for instance, ones that might get scared by things like an Oppenheimer or Prometheus trailer - that's on you.
Sure, it was on me that I brought my daughter to The Avengers

With no expectation that there would be a trailer for an R-rated monster movie attached to it.
TCTTS
AG
Except the trailer itself wasn't rated R.
jeffk
AG
Are ratings for trailers determined by the same metrics as the full movies?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
TCTTS said:

Except the trailer itself wasn't rated R.
Say what you want about it, but that trailer featured the same screeching sound from the trailer to Alien. I've posted before about the number that Alien did to my subconsciousness, that movie scared the ever living crap out of me as a 12-year-old. The sound in that trailer was another thing that I found scary about that movie.

I had seen the trailer to Prometheus by the time The Avengers came out that summer, so I knew it featured that same sound effect. But I was much surprised to find that trailer attached to a comic book movie that was going to draw lots of kids.

But, as it turns out, people are wired differently. My daughter might have had some reaction to that trailer but unlike me it didn't stick with her.
TCTTS
AG
The MPAA definitely regulates between non-red-band and red-band trailers, but I don't think it's quite the same system. For instance, there's no such thing as a "PG" trailer, I think it's basically left up to theater to pair more kid-friendly trailers with more kid-friendly movies.
The Porkchop Express
TCTTS said:

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 is rated PG-13.

It's pretty simple.

I took my then eight-year-old nephews to Spider-Man: No Way Home and one of them was so scared by the Green Goblin that we had to leave halfway through. Lesson learned.
GOTG pitches itself as a family movie with lots of characters that work better together. Groot is like the epitome of Marvel characters made for kids.

It's a little incongruous to have a trailer for a movie about the time the US developed the most lethal weapons of all time and used them (justifiably) to kill 100,000 people.

They also put this **** on before Ant-Man 3. My girls were hiding under the seats by the end of it.

WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
TCTTS
AG
Chris Pratt drops an F-bomb in GOTG3.
Malachi Constant
AG
Yeah that's a horrible trailer to be played before a Marvel movie. That stuff would strike right at the heart of fears my kids have.

Very flippant attitude above with the "that's on you for taking your kid."
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
TCTTS said:

My little 6-year-old is now a 17-year-old who cusses like a sailor these days.
The Porkchop Express
TCTTS said:

My kids live at my house. Trust me, they've heard the F Bomb.
TCTTS
AG
Starting today, the new (final?) trailer is playing with most showings of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, and will hopefully be online at some point this weekend.
phatpat21
Was coming here to ask this question! Can't wait to see the new trailer!!
there were skittles in there!
TCTTS
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.