Christopher Nolan's next project - Oppenheimer and the A-Bomb?

65,886 Views | 759 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Chipotlemonger
Cinco Ranch Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Max Power said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

BenTheGoodAg said:

LMCane said:

I wish they put some type of emphasis on the crew of the Enola Gay rather than just on how to build an atomic weapon
For the film 'Oppenheimer'?

They'd have to call the film 'Gay' and this thread would melt-down.
I admit I laughed.

Would love to see either this movie have some focus on the actual bombing mission, or a stand-alone movie about it. I do, however, seem to recall a TV movie being made back in maybe 1980 that for some reason I was not able to watch at the time.

Edit - not bad for my memory here. Enola Gay: The Men, the Mission, the Atomic Bomb (1980)
It's been covered, rewatch Pearl Harbor, the entire damn thing, all the way to the end, then report back.
Pearl Harbor covered the bombing missions of August 6/9 1945? Guess I'll have to go back and rewatch that one to see where I missed Ben Affleck and the other guy piloting B-29s to end the war after having piloted P-40s to start the war.
#FJB
Cool_Hand
AG
Its worth the visit.

When my wife's Grandfather celebrated his 90th birthday he was asked by the family what he considered his greatest career achievement.

His response "ushering in the atomic age."

He was the meteorologist on the flight when they detonated the bomb in White Sands.

He would later fly over the arctic circle predicting the weather patterns and fallout. The greatest generation for sure!
TCTTS
AG
New TV spot with new footage/dialogue premiered during Bengals/Chiefs tonight. Hopefully it's online soon.
TCTTS
AG
Not the greatest quality, but here's a bootleg version...

Charles Hickson Knows
Really looking forward to this. My dad, who worked at General Dynamics on an atomic powered aircraft back in the early 60's is as well.
Our thoughts on the current controlled EXTRATERRESTRIAL reality disclosure process and related US GOV cover-up? Once the uneasy, contagious giggling subsides, how will our civilization and the mislead sheep adapt to this publicly known reality? Are the good Shepherds withholding the truth in our best interest? Perhaps multiple species are involved?
TCTTS
AG
I use The Digital Theater to get all my ultra-high-quality, 4K or 4K IMAX aspect ratio downloads of trailers, but they're always for trailers that are already online, just in way better quality. That said, they somehow just now got their hands on the version of the Oppenheimer trailer that played exclusively in IMAX theaters, that's currently not on YouTube or anywhere else, which I wasn't expecting at all (seeing as Nolan never makes his IMAX exclusives available online). Granted, it's not in full IMAX ratio, but it is in pristine 4K. And personally I think it's better, and more ominous, than the standard, widely-seen version. It's basically a completely different trailer, with more Matt Damon as well, and the Robert Downey Jr. appearance at the end.

Anyway, you can find it at the link below under "Trailer 2." If you have VLC player, download any of the MKV versions, but if not just download the mp4 version...

https://thedigitaltheater.com/oppenheimer-2023/
BenTheGoodAg
AG
This is a fan-made poster. Damn.

Chipotlemonger
AG
That is very cool
The Porkchop Express
If this movie sucks or is a box office dud, the headlines will write themselves
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
TCTTS
AG
From Matt Bellini's latest newsletter tonight…

Quote:

Get excited to sit: I'm told Christopher Nolan's July nuclear-bomb drama Oppenheimer clocks in at around 3 hours, depending on last minute tinkers, which would be his longest film. (Interstellar is 169 minutes.) Will be interesting to see how this summer's blockbusters stack up amid all the recent criticism of length.

… which reminds me of something I keep thinking every time I see a TV spot for this movie, which is that every trailer and spot so far has only shown footage from before, and leading up to, the very first test at Los Alamos. And I can't tell if *that's* the entire movie, essentially - the lead up to the test, with the climax being the test itself - or if there's a whole section after the test - say, the third act - at Tinian Island, Hiroshima, etc, and Nolan is just saving all that stuff for the movie itself, or the next trailer. Because if it's the former, that wold seem to be, literally, a stretch at three hours. But if the movie is the latter - the lead up to the test, the test, AND Tinian/Hiroshima - that would make more sense needing three hours to tell that story.

Did Oppenheimer himself ever go to Tinian? Because if not, that might tell us something right there, as we almost assuredly wouldn't spend that much time - especially the climax of the movie - away from him.

There's also of course the black-and-white hearing footage, which takes place in '54, I think, but I'm assuming that's all a framing device we cut back-and-forth from, and that the entire third act isn't just a black-and-white security hearing.
C@LAg
he did not go to tinian. he remained at Los Alamos I believe.

I would bet the framing device is the 1954 communist hearings where his security clearances were revoked. As they analyze his communist sympathies it will go back and cover his recruitment and development of the bomb up to the Trinity explosion (that is the gantry tower seen in the trailers) , which he observed in person. Since he was not at Tinian or involved with the actual bombing of Japan, I think they will only address those indirectly from his POV back in America.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
My thought is a movie about the making of the A-Bomb that culminates with the test in the New Mexico desert would likely be down-right boring. Thinking of Fat Man and Little Boy here. If it is set against the 1954 communist thing referenced above, that could give the story a good bit more emotional appeal. And I don't see how one ever makes a movie about the A-Bomb without at least a portion of said movie set on Tinian and the resulting B-29 missions over Japan.

There were fears of what might happen if the B-29 was to crash upon taking off (which for that aircraft was a somewhat frequent event). Would the bomb explode in that event? No one knew what would happen because, obviously, they never tested the bomb under those conditions.

This does not need to be a war movie such as Dunkirk, but without the war there is no A-Bomb, so the war really needs to be a big part of the background of this movie IMO.

This is my 2nd or 3rd most anticipated movie this year, behind only Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny and perhaps Dune Part II.
C@LAg
i would be surprised if there are any more than a few Japan-related scenes.

But the movie is called "Oppenheimer" not "Operation Centerboard". It is going to be focused on him and his life experience.

The primary source of this movie is the book "American Prometheus".

J. Robert Oppenheimer, often credited as the "father of the atomic bomb", was a physicist that had a significant role in the Manhattan Project as the project head and coordinator.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Prometheus#cite_note-2][2][/url] The project eventually led to the creation of the nuclear atom bomb, a weapon of mass destruction. This bomb is regarded as a crucial turning point and a significant meeting between science and wartime weapons. This pivots Oppenheimer as not only an important historical figure but also as a symbol for atomic bomb ethics and political discourse about nuclear power.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Prometheus#cite_note-3][3][/url] This book dives into various components of his life inside and outside the Manhattan Project. His early life, ambitions, ideas, relationships with other physicists, and impact are all discussed in this book.

This suggests much more of a character piece than an action movie. Even if the movie is 3 hours long. Lots of build up to Trinity explosion as the first bomb, his reaction to seeing his creation in person, his reaction to the use of his creation on cities, and then post war reactions to the "horror" of war and how Oppie felt about the use of such weapons, his fallout with Truman, and then his eventual loss of clearance effectively kicking him out of the military industrial complex.
TCTTS
AG
This is all super interesting - and good to know that Oppenheimer never visited Tinian (which I agree means that the movie won't likely go there or to Hiroshima in any significant way) - but man, now I'm even more curious as to how Nolan is going to mage to fill that three hours. Even the longest biopics, ones that feel like an eternity, aren't three hours. Granted, I have complete faith in Nolan, it just seems unlike him to do a straight up character piece with little action other than the initial Los Alamos test.
C@LAg
TCTTS said:

This is all super interesting - and good to know that Oppenheimer never visited Tinian (which I agree means that the movie won't likely go there or to Hiroshima in any significant way) - but man, now I'm even more curious as to how Nolan is going to mage to fill that three hours. Even the longest biopics, ones that feel like an eternity, aren't three hours. Granted, I have complete faith in Nolan, it just seems unlike him to do a straight up character piece with little action other than the initial Los Alamos test.
I actually think this IS his Oscar bait film, which requires a full-on character piece.

And I also think it is being done so as a FU to WB after their falling-out.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Either way I cannot wait
cbr
AG
Never understood the long movie hate. If its worth making a movie about, its worth 3 hours ffs.
The Porkchop Express
Still holding out hope it's an alternative-history story where he turns into a giant super villain from the radiation and they have to wakeup Godzilla to stop him.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
KALALL
AG
American Prometheus spent a lot of time at Berkley and with his academic career before he ever went to Los Alamos and then a lot of time with the security clearance hearing afterward Los Alamos. I can't imagine the ending of the movie is him losing his clearance. His personal life was pretty messy so I'm sure there will be plenty of drama surrounding it.
PatAg
AG
cbr said:

Never understood the long movie hate. If its worth making a movie about, its worth 3 hours ffs.
I have no issues with any length movie, as long as I don't feel like its wasting my time.
Some 1.5 hr movies feel longer than a Lord of the Rings movie
The Porkchop Express
BenTheGoodAg said:

This is a fan-made poster. Damn.

So you're saying Pauly Shore is NOT in this? Hard pass.
amercer
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Still holding out hope it's an alternative-history story where he turns into a giant super villain from the radiation and they have to wakeup Godzilla to stop him.

Is there a giant blue schlong involved?
TCTTS
AG
C@LAg
not surprising. it is a biopic. that means lots of indoor and close-up shots.

not much need for Imax spectacle outside of the Trinity explosion/any other explosions they include.

TCTTS
AG
To be clear, the movie was still shot in IMAX and will be projected in IMAX. It's just that if it's over 2h 45m it can't be projected on 70mm IMAX film (due to the physical size of the film reels), which Nolan prefers over digital/laser projection. But since the vast majority of IMAX theaters are either digital or laser nowadays (like, nearly all of them), a 3-hour runtime is fine since there's obviously no physical film to deal with.

So what Brendan is saying is that *if* Oppenheimer is over 2h 45m, that means Nolan is sacrificing not showing the movie in the 70mm IMAX film format - his favorite - because he thinks the 3h runtime is *that* important (whereas Nolan was willing to cut The Dark Knight Rises and Interstellar down to 2h 45m in order for those two movies to be shown on 70mm IMAX film).
hunter2012
AG
I wish he would release a director's cut for both films. I would see both in theaters again just for the opportunity.
agracer
AG
cbr said:

Long movies used to have a 5-10m intermission so folks could use the restroom.

They don't anymore. So drinking a soda and eating popcorn is a painful sentence to those of use who actually want to see the entire movie.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I don't know the last time I went to a movie without missing some for a bathroom break. Sucks.
aggieactor01
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

I don't know the last time I went to a movie without missing some for a bathroom break. Sucks.
https://runpee.com/

This app let's you know when's a good time to go and what you miss while you're gone.

Chipotlemonger
AG
I've thought about that before, but I abhor phone usage at the movie theaters. It's a Catch-22 I find myself in.
TCTTS
AG
So it sounds like Nolan and IMAX may have simply made bigger film platters for the 70mm IMAX projectors...

Chipotlemonger
AG
The Dark Knight was indeed a spectacular IMAX experience. Glad I did that.

Still remember the opening scene well. Those shotgun blasts from the banker shook the whole theater.
TCTTS
AG
That opening shot, in 70mm IMAX, slowing panning toward the buildings as one of the windows exploded, was one of the few times I - and the audience we saw it with - ever actually gasped in a theater.
Chipotlemonger
AG
TCTTS said:

That opening shot, in 70mm IMAX, slowing panning toward the buildings as one of the windows exploded, was one of the few times I - and the audience we saw it with - ever actually gasped in a theater.
Yea I knew we were in for a great ride at the end of that whole opening sequence.
TCTTS
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.