Christopher Nolan's next project - Oppenheimer and the A-Bomb?

65,315 Views | 759 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by Chipotlemonger
oragator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Holy cow, this will be awesome if it comes to fruition.

https://deadline.com/2021/09/christopher-nolan-next-movie-development-of-atom-bomb-robert-oppenheimer-world-war-ii-1234829960/
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Do we like Pattinson or Cillian Murphy for Oppenheimer?
C@LAg
think lee pace would be better than either of those

and he has the eyebrows
SquirrellyDan
AG
TCTTS said:

Both would be good....never had much respect for Pattinson until I saw him in Tenet. Thought he was great in that.
TriAg2010
AG
If I lived in Hiroshima, I'd be real worried if Nolan wants to film on location.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
SquirrellyDan said:

TCTTS said:

Both would be good....never had much respect for Pattinson until I saw him in Tenet. Thought he was great in that.

Have you seen The King? On Netflix, him and Chalamet are both awesome in it.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Just a remake of Fat Man & Little Boy?
SquirrellyDan
AG
Champ Bailey said:

SquirrellyDan said:

TCTTS said:

Have you seen The King? On Netflix, him and Chalamet are both awesome in it.
I have not, I'll check it out.
agmag90
So considering Covid delays and normal delays, this should be out Summer 2038?
TCTTS
AG
Seriously, though, I'd guess summer or fall 2023. Sounds like the script is done, so this would almost assuredly start filming next year.
Sea Speed
AG
First question is what will he do with time in this one.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, was wondering the same thing.
Sea Speed
AG
TCTTS said:

Ha, was wondering the same thing.
it was quite literally my first thought. how would he 'manipulate' or emphasize time in a movie about the creation of the bomb. Maybe something like it has to be done by X time or Y will happen?
TCTTS
AG
I'm sure that will be part of it, but that's ultimately just a standard "ticking clock" conceit that so many movies utilize. It wouldn't really be a signature Nolan thing.
Sea Speed
AG
Right its simple but Dunkirk seemed to be that way though, at least as I recall it. Only saw it once though so may not be remembering correctly.
jackie childs
if they show the bombing, can you imagine how effing loud it's going to be in the theater?
TCTTS
AG
Dunkirk told three different intersecting stories that each took place over a different period of time; one hour, one day, and one week. So he really messed with time and the narrative even there. Curious to see if he does anything similar here.
Sea Speed
AG
thats right. i knew there were different stories but i forgot they were in different lengths of time. i should watch it again, but i wasnt a big fan the first go around which is obviously why i only gave it one shot. maybe ill do that soon.

i wanted to like tenet so much that i saw it 3 times in the theater but the further i get away from it the more i am MEH on it. hope he bounces back significantly here.
MGS
Maybe it'll be like Mememto and start up with his "I am become death" comment and work it's way backwards until the beginning of the Manhattan Project
West Point Aggie
AG
TriAg2010 said:

If I lived in Hiroshima, I'd be real worried if Nolan wants to film on location.

Poor Nagasaki always gets ignored for Hiroshima. No one ever compares an explosion to the Nagasaki one, just Hiroshima.
SMH
Let’s Go Brandon!
Sea Speed
AG
I've been to Nagasaki prefecture. Really makes you think.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Well let's see, which arm do I give Nolan to just inject this right into me?
Bunk Moreland
West Point Aggie said:

TriAg2010 said:

Poor Nagasaki always gets ignored for Hiroshima. No one ever compares an explosion to the Nagasaki one, just Hiroshima.
SMH

#NBM

Nagasaki Bombs Matter
oragator
So as a history major/nerd, one split similar to Dunkirk I could see him do would be Germany the US and Japan. All three tried to develop nuclear weapons and only the US succeeded. So it could be a race type of thing.

The other would be his pre war idealistic life In academia, his pragmatic one as part of the Manhattan project, and his post war life as someone who tried to curb nuclear weapons. As I think about it, the latter makes some sense. Would be a good contrast.
But knowing Nolan it will be something none of us have thought of.
The Collective
AG
jackie childs said:

if they show the bombing, can you imagine how effing loud it's going to be in the theater?

There will be a line said during the explosion, and it will take 5 viewings to decipher what was said.
TCTTS
AG
corndog04
AG
oooooh. I just finished Bird and Sherwin's Oppenheimer biography last week, this has me excited. It's probably outside of the scope of the movie given it takes place about a decade later, but I'd love if the AEC security hearings made their way in to this as well.
C@LAg
disagree on that whole "moral failure" part.
but this would be much better as an extended series for sure, not a single movie.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, I just posted that because it was an interesting take, but I don't at all compare this to Chernobyl. I think the tone could be roughly the same, and the sheer amount of death is horrible no matter which way you slice it, but I don't see the two events as being of the same ilk, necessarily.
israeliag
AG
I don't know why, but I'm thinking a Terrence Malik Tree of Life approach could work here: three timelines of a primary story of the Manhattan Project; an end of life reflection on his work and their repercussions; and a somewhat unrelated but cosmic perspective at how insignificant it and all of humanity is in the grand scheme of things
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
Since spoiler tags have been a big deal by lately, I'll use them. I heard from a source I trust

Hiroshima gets it

And

Nagasaki too
C@LAg
AgStuckinLBK said:

Since spoiler tags have been a big deal by lately, I'll use them. I heard from a source I trust

Hiroshima gets it

And

Nagasaki too
new mexico got it first
Spyderman
AG
This one might have potential.
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
Sea Speed
AG
Spyderman said:

This one might have potential.

Observation of the decade

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.