Jeopardy! Guest hosts.

36,285 Views | 336 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Proposition Joe
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quite a collection of contestants today
GCRanger
AG
That's a man, baby.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Either the first trans or one of the ugliest women to win Jeopardy
FarmerJohn
AG
She confirmed online that she's trans but is not the first trans person to win.

My wife called it right away but I wasn't sure until she got the clue about Art Rooney and Heinz Field. No woman living in California is going to know that.

My wife said the fashion choice to look like Dustin Hoffman in Tootsie was the give away.
Southlake
Liking Ken Jennings for a change of hosts.
double aught
AG
FarmerJohn said:

My wife called it right away but I wasn't sure until she got the clue about Art Rooney and Heinz Field. No woman living in California is going to know that.
True. That is a definitive clue.
Southlake
FarmerJohn said:

She confirmed online that she's trans but is not the first trans person to win.

My wife said the fashion choice to look like Dustin Hoffman in Tootsie was the give away.
You just can't unsee this now.
bbattbq01
AG
She's completely dominating right now. I think one of her six so far have been even CLOSE? Putting up pretty decent dollars too.
Tibbers
Ken is doing a ton better now. I think he received proper coaching and is crushing it as the new host.
Counterpoint
AG
Tibbers said:

Ken is doing a ton better now. I think he received proper coaching and is crushing it as the new host.

I agree. It still sounds like he's mocking them if they get one incorrect, but... he probably is!
Southlake
Ken doing much better. But he's announced as, "Now hosting Jeopardy, Ken Jennings"

She'll be back.

Also, Amy is just killing it. Gonna be fun to watch her play against Matt
FarmerJohn
AG
Trebek came across as condescending sometimes too. Ken Jennings is certainly getting better and he'd be fine as a permanent host, but I don't think he's going to get much better than where he is now.
cr06gis
AG
So our current champion has now tied Julia Collins as the winningest female in Jeopardy history at 20 games.

Just sayin
cr06gis
AG
Also, the professors tournament was fantastic. Some hilarious older neurotic/aspergy profs wiping the floor with the younger pseudo-intellectuals

So much more fun than watching Homer in a blouse win every night.
Southlake
cr06gis said:

Also, the professors tournament was fantastic. Some hilarious older neurotic/aspergy profs wiping the floor with the younger pseudo-intellectuals

So much more fun than watching Homer in a blouse win every night.
Prof were great and really good sports too. I swear that tall dude sings for, Asleep at the Wheel…
MEEN Ag 05
AG
cr06gis said:

So our current champion has now tied Julia Collins as the winningest female in Jeopardy history at 20 games.

Just sayin

The winningest female has a y chromosome....a microcosm of female sports on its current track.
bbattbq01
AG
These games are so snoozy.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Down goes Frazier.

Finally a contestant with a bit of a pulse. Been quite a run of crappy contenders. I'm not exactly a conspiracy theorist, but it was starting to smell just a tinge. Maybe they were just getting psyched out and playing really crappy games
Seven Costanza
AG
I wonder if they keep a small stable of really good players that they don't want to waste when they have a really dominant player.
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Down goes Frazier.

Finally a contestant with a bit of a pulse. Been quite a run of crappy contenders. I'm not exactly a conspiracy theorist, but it was starting to smell just a tinge. Maybe they were just getting psyched out and playing really crappy games
How can you tell they're crappy players? Other than knowing a lot of useless trivia, the biggest key to success is having the buzzer timing down. I would imagine after 3 or 4 games you would get into a good rhythm. Once you've played 10 or 15 that would have to be a massive advantage. It's tough to tell how "smart" (or not) a contestant is unless they're giving a lot of incorrect answers, which I don't recall much of during that run.
GT_Aggie2015
AG
Is Schneider still going?
DannyDuberstein
AG
Lost today. I think this was the 2nd time out of 6-7 chances that whoever was leading (Amy's 1st win was from 2nd position against someone who got Final wrong) or within striking distance in a non-runaway actually got Final Jeopardy correct. Amy didn't. Run over
DannyDuberstein
AG
The buzzer advantage helps. But beyond the constant Final Jeopardy fails by those that did have a chance, Amy did not seem to be a big volume shooter. High accuracy rate, but left quite a few opportunities for others to get into the mix because she wasn't risking iffy answers. But so many couldn't do anything with it. And there seemed to be a lot of volume buzzers that were their own worst enemy with wrong answers. Those are the ones that I think may have psyched themselves out where they watch a few of that day's taping and come in ready to volume shoot. I don't think it was the whole time, but I thought the last few weeks were some weak contenders
Seven Costanza
AG
Bob Loblaws Law Blog said:

DannyDuberstein said:

Down goes Frazier.

How can you tell they're crappy players? Other than knowing a lot of useless trivia, the biggest key to success is having the buzzer timing down. I would imagine after 3 or 4 games you would get into a good rhythm. Once you've played 10 or 15 that would have to be a massive advantage. It's tough to tell how "smart" (or not) a contestant is unless they're giving a lot of incorrect answers, which I don't recall much of during that run.
Some of these people make horrible DD wagers. Amy can have $13,000 and the player that lands on the DD can have $4,000, then Ken will say "okay, 30-day champion Amy has 13k and you have 4k, what do you want to wager?" "uhhhhh...I'll do $1000."
DannyDuberstein
AG
Or the ones that bet big consistently getting it wrong at critical moments. Today was basically a situation where someone actually bet right, got it right, and then hit on Final. Guy didnt have to play a great game. But solid enough with a good DD bet and 2 right answers when he needed them
The Milkman
AG
I couldn't believe Amy missed that FJ. Was one of the easiest final jeopardy clues I can remember in a while. I've asked about half a dozen friends the clue tonight and each of them got it nearly instantly.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Same. When you talk "most populous" nations, there's one part of the world you go to right away. Amy had a great run. Brainfarted that one tho
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Crazy how quick that game turned from domination by Amy to the other guy getting a few right and hitting on the DD to win. Great run, but I'm kind of glad she didn't beat Ken's streak.

Tournament of Champions with Amy and Matt is going to be awesome. Probably the most anticipated ToC ever.
Counterpoint
AG
I know episodes are filmed way in advance, so I'm curious if this was taped around the time of the mugging?

Madagascar
AG
I think Amy lost on purpose. Heck I would get tired of filming 5 episodes a day for weeks straight.
The Milkman
AG
Madagascar said:

I think Amy lost on purpose. Heck I would get tired of filming 5 episodes a day for weeks straight.
I truly don't understand people that say this every time a long term champ loses. I'm sure she was very tired from a job that paid $30,000+ per half hour.

Its not 5 episodes every day. They film 5 episodes in a day, but only 2 days a week. Unless the schedule has changed significantly
Quad Dog
AG
Madagascar said:

I still think Ken Jennings lost on purpose. His losing question was "Most of this firm's 70,000 seasonal white-collar employees work only four months a year." and he answered Fed-Ex instead of H&R Block.
cr06gis
AG
Its been mentioned that the recent crop of contestants have been really unimpressive. I couldn't agree more. My wife even noticed and she barely pays attention to the show. Its as if the producers saw the ESG score potential with their new Amy character and moved all the "barely makes the cut" contestants to the front of the line.

AgPediRPh
AG
The Milkman said:

I couldn't believe Amy missed that FJ. Was one of the easiest final jeopardy clues I can remember in a while. I've asked about half a dozen friends the clue tonight and each of them got it nearly instantly.
Most long streak winners appear to fizzle out toward the end of their run. I think the two week break for the gawdawful Professor's Tournament really helped keep Amy from burning out.

It's much easier to play from home; but that FJ question did seem pretty easy.
Carlo4
AG
The Milkman said:

Madagascar said:

I truly don't understand people that say this every time a long term champ loses. I'm sure she was very tired from a job that paid $30,000+ per half hour.

Its not 5 episodes every day. They film 5 episodes in a day, but only 2 days a week. Unless the schedule has changed significantly

Ever seen Quiz Show?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.