Jeopardy! Guest hosts.

36,277 Views | 336 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Proposition Joe
Southlake
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Update:

Gupta was surprisingly good.

I don't really like George Stephanopolos, but he's very good.
EMY92
AG
Jeopardy died for me when Trebek passed.
jkag89
Harry Lime said:

Yeah, bump this thread to remind when Levar Burton is hosting so I can put Jeopardy back on the DVR for that week.
Sorry about the no lead time. but just got home from the work and saw Burton's two weeks as guest host started today.
MEEN Ag 05
AG
Levar wasn't exactly smooth on his opening show, but he wasn't terrible.

His pace was a bit slow - but he's been reading books to kids for over thirty years so I'm willing to cut the man some slack.

I'm guessing he has never hosted any kind of game show before.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
MEEN Ag 05 said:

Levar wasn't exactly smooth on his opening show, but he wasn't terrible.

His pace was a bit slow - but he's been reading books to kids for over thirty years so I'm willing to cut the man some slack.

I'm guessing he has never hosted any kind of game show before.

Saw an interview with him this morning.

He made mention of his first show not being great and that the producers even said "meh".... he said he feels like he loosened up a lot on the remaining shows and was able to be Levar.

We shall see.
jkag89
I just finished watching it and he was very good at reading the clues but has some rough spots when the contestants simply ran out of time for their responses and was slow in indicating this, Of course the host has to take most of the blame for uneven play but the the contestants did not help things. Hopefully things go more smoothly for the rest of his hosting stint.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I think in Alex's last year or two, we got used to seeing those professional Quiz Bowl masters, and past star contestants w/ buzzer techniques racing each other to the daily doubles, etc. Even Alex had to time manage some slower contestants on normal days; that would take getting used to.

And thanks for the heads up!
Counterpoint
AG
Plus that had to be close to some kind of record for a final negative dollar amount, right?
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Yikes. That was a rough first episode. His delivery of the clues was confusing with his weird pauses and emphasis on certain words. Hopefully he reins that in a little bit because I really love Levar Burton and Reading Rainbow.
Counterpoint
AG
Counterpoint said:

Plus that had to be close to some kind of record for a final negative dollar amount, right?
I just looked it up. It WAS the lowest score of all time. The previous record was -$6,800.
Southlake
Yeah, Levar was rough.

Robin Roberts did well.

Mike Richards remains the best, with Aaron Rodgers next.

cr06gis
AG
I felt bad for Levar. It was pretty rough, but it wasn't Couric level. I expect him to improve.
The Milkman
AG
I don't understand this love affair people seem to have for Burton and why he was seemingly so anxiously anticipated.
double aught
AG
A lot of people grew up with Reading Rainbow.
A lot of people are Star Trek fans.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
The Milkman said:

I don't understand this love affair people seem to have for Burton and why he was seemingly so anxiously anticipated.

He is a class act and has been very active in education and is idolized by Trek fans. He has also steered clear of controversy and politics for the most part.

Tanya 93
The Milkman said:

He has influenced a generation of readers
He stays out of trouble
He is great to Star Trek fans
His social media is funny
Tibbers
Again, when we went to a trek convention he was awful to the fans. Very rude and quite frankly mean to people. It was weird.
Tibbers
Southlake said:

Yeah, Levar was rough.

Robin Roberts did well.

Agreed with Richards and Rogers but Blossom deserves to be in the conversation too.
Southlake
The Milkman said:

Just not the same without his visor...
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
He was a little better on the second taping, but still had some gaffs that threw off the rhythm.
Hoping he gets better.

By the way, the current champ, Matt, is killing it.
Southlake
Matt is a pretty cool dude! Almost trying not to act too smart!
bbattbq01
AG
Southlake said:

He crushed the field today lol
Tibbers
Southlake said:

The Milkman said:

Just not the same without his visor...

His eyes are so big they are scary. Please put the visor on. It's freaking me out.
cr06gis
AG
Anyone else notice the Shakespearean-like "YES!!!" that Levar yells out after every correct answer? Hilarious
dave94
AG
bbattbq01 said:

Southlake said:

Finally caught an episode today. I'm very annoyed by this guy saying "What's" instead of "What is" every damn time.

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
dave94 said:

bbattbq01 said:

Southlake said:

Finally caught an episode today. I'm very annoyed by this guy saying "What's" instead of "What is" every damn time.

It's also mildly annoying that he says what instead of where or who.

Gotta hand it to him though. He's one of the best contestants in a while.
dave94
AG
F**ck him, lol
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
Tibbers said:

Southlake said:

Yeah, Levar was rough.

Robin Roberts did well.

Agreed with Richards and Rogers but Blossom deserves to be in the conversation too.
Gotta disagree on Mayim Bialik, she was one of the worst they;ve brought in, in my opinion.
MEEN Ag 05
AG
The best in my view have been:

1 - Buzzy Cohen
T2 - Aaron Rodgers/Mike Richards
4 -Ken Jennings

Not what I would have expected going into this, but it's been interesting.

Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I wasn't familiar with David Faber, but he's pretty good. Probably up there with Mike Richards for my top 2 most natural hosts.
Buck Compton
AG
Harry Lime said:

I wasn't familiar with David Faber, but he's pretty good. Probably up there with Mike Richards for my top 2 most natural hosts.
They give Faber **** about it almost every morning on CNBC now
LawHall88
AG
gunan01
AG
Mike Richards wasn't in the top 5 for me of all the guest hosts. The way he says "We were looking for.." every time the contestants don't get the question is formulaic and grating. Very unnatural in the role. It's a disappointing choice.
gunan01
AG
FTR I would've had either Buzzy Cohen or Ken Jennings do it. Both were much better than Mike Richards.

I felt like Aaron Rodgers, Bill Whitaker, Robin Roberts, Sanjay Gupta, Savannah Guthrie, even LeVar Burton were better than Richards.

I expected more from Mayim Bialik, Anderson Cooper, Katie Couric, George Stephanopoulos. Those four were underwhelming.
Rev03
AG
I agree! I really wanted Buzzy to get the job. I also really liked Sanjay Gupta, and I think the guy hosting it now is also pretty good. I am not too excited about Mike Richards, but I guess I'll get used to it eventually.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.