*** TENET *** (SPOILER THREAD)

22,696 Views | 230 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by TCTTS
tk for tu juan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Careful Rick, you are almost walking backwards on the other thread.

Was Neil leaving at the end to go die at the opera house? Do y'all think they previously failed in the mission and we are only seeing the successful mission in this movie?

I just finished a rewatch of Lost season 5, so the Protagonist getting Kat to leave messages with date/location info for him to use in the future was almost similar to Dan Faraday implanting a memory in Desmond to go visit him at Oxford in the future
The Kraken
AG
I though my wife and I would be the only ones in the theater last night until another couple showed up during the last trailer.

The dialogue issues that everyone has mentioned really limited my enjoyment of this film. The plot is so interwoven and complicated...even when I could understand what was being said, I was still confused as to who some characters were and what their motivations were. Made for a very frustrating and mentally exhausting 2.5 hours.
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
FancyKetchup14
AG
I took it as he was going to die picking the lock for The Protagonist and Ives
hunter2012
AG
Some thoughts after a semi full nights rest(aside from popcorn induced indigestion and an odd dream about Phil Mickelson driving a hotel shuttle).

• First my favorite parts were his inverted fight with himself and the car chase playing out from his inverted perspective. This is probably because it's what I understood the best after one viewing.The fight scene was extremely cool.
  • The sound issues are 99% the problem with this movie as the audience needs extremely clear dialogue for such a complicated plot. I have no idea why Nolan let the issue get out of the editing room, especially after he had the same issue with Bane in tDKR.
  • The battle at the end will take multiple viewings to completely understand and absorb.
  • The following IGN article explains the ending a bit better.
  • From what I could tell Neil was going to invert and "un"pick the lock while inverted, so that he'll be alive to open the door in the future when the Protagonist and Ives need in, but dead in the past as he essentially is an inverted object(corpse).
  • Also I love the concept of a temporal pincer movement but gosh it makes my head hurt seeing and comprehending it.
  • I think this one of Nolan's more simple storylines but the constant exploring of the time inversion concept is what makes it complicated.
  • Also I like the time concept of the Protagonist starting the Tenet organization and his career with the climactic battle being first. It fits very well thematically.
  • One thing I'd like to understand is Sator's(the oligarch) timeline. where does his time travel end up with him dying on the boat in the past? I understand that since his fate is unknown to everyone except Tenet so that his future self believes he was successful in ending humanity. But I'd still like to understand how he got there...
tk for tu juan
Rick Dalton said:

I took one look at their absorber theory and realized it was way past my bedtime, I'll have to dive into that in the morning.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheeler%E2%80%93Feynman_absorber_theory

Quote:

The assumption that the free field is identically zero is the core of the absorber idea. It means that the radiation emitted by each particle is completely absorbed by all other particles present in the universe
So introduce additional radiation at the point of convergence to be absorbed by all living things and you have a large atomic bomb blowing up in reverse? Or the algorithm does not remove the reverse particles and all forward moving particles are eliminated?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I really don't understand how a blockbuster from a legendary director can have such ****ty sound quality. It's not like this was the boom mike not working at the community theater. I thought I just watched a crap version on Pirate's Bay, but the entire Internet had the same problem in the theaters built specifically for movies like this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tenet/comments/ih5k5n/is_the_audio_problem_from_the_movie_or_theaters/
tk for tu juan
You should see it in the theater, the gunshots at the beginning are almost loud enough to put your body in fight or flight mode. I did wonder if the sound mixing was to cover up some weak, emotionless dialogue that occurred during the movie.

The scene below didn't feel like two humans talking to each other, just two actors going thru their lines.

Bunk Moreland
I saw it on the xD cinemark screen and I'm glad I did but my next viewing is going to be a normal screen because I know xD packs in more bass and is super loud. I'll be curious to hear the difference, though I am not that upset about the audio issues. I was able to understand most of the scenes where the accent made it difficult, and in the end it just felt like it added more to me trying to understand what they just said while I was continuing to try and understand what was being shown on screen. Don't know if that was intentional by him or not. There were some parts where the bass or noise was just too loud on top of the dialogue for sure.

FancyKetchup14
AG
The worst part of dialogue for me was the opening Opera scene with the masks. I couldn't understand a damn thing. I thought it improved afterwards.

JDW was good but I thought Pattinson was great. It felt like he stole every scene he was in. Can't wait for his Batman.
Bunk Moreland
I felt Elizabeth Debicki & Pattinson were both a clear step above JDW.

JDW didn't show a ton of range. He didn't have to as he was just full action from the start but I do feel like Nolan could have helped out his character by slowing it down in the first 3rd of the movie or so and let JDW get into some scenes.
YNWA_AG
AG
Found this on reddit
hunter2012
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

I felt Elizabeth Debicki & Pattinson were both a clear step above JDW.

JDW didn't show a ton of range. He didn't have to as he was just full action from the start but I do feel like Nolan could have helped out his character by slowing it down in the first 3rd of the movie or so and let JDW get into some scenes.
I figured that JDW is supposed to be playing a cold and efficient Govt Agent. I don't know how much was lack of range and how much was the character. He seemed to get pretty heated during the fight scenes...
Bunk Moreland
yeah I didn't mean it as a slight. I think it was by design, but it was still pretty tight and quick in the beginning as we get to know him.

Overall he carried the movie just fine.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
tk for tu juan said:

You should see it in the theater, the gunshots at the beginning are almost loud enough to put your body in fight or flight mode. I did wonder if the sound mixing was to cover up some weak, emotionless dialogue that occurred during the movie.

The scene below didn't feel like two humans talking to each other, just two actors going thru their lines.

I don't have enough interest to see it again. I'm sure I'll watch it infinitum in 4-5 minute bursts during commercials of sporting events when it comes to TNT/FX in a few years.
FancyKetchup14
AG
I think it would ruin the intrigue but I want Nolan to do a TED talk on explaining this movie
tk for tu juan
Nolan should have sold this script to Disney for use as Episodes 7-9. Talk about bringing balance to the force
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I can't imagine why you married that ugly Italian broad while you were overseas, can't you see she's no good for you, Rick?
Bunk Moreland
so when she 're sees' herself jumping off the ship at the end, does the version of her getting onto the boat understand that's her jumping from above the 2nd time around? or is she still thinking it's another woman like when we saw it initially?

You wrote down notes so I'm counting on you for an exact answer
tk for tu juan
Did you keep track of red and blue scenes during the second viewing?

-There is the battle
-The red and blue rooms separated by glass
-Dinner scene with Sator talking about stuffing the Protagonist's balls in his throat was red, right?
tk for tu juan
I am having flashbacks to the portion of freshmen physics on electromagnetism when I got a 33 on an exam but the class average was 30, so I barely passed

Flight 489 Survivor (wish I could find the t-shirt)
schmendeler
AG
1. I enjoyed it
2. I need to see it again
3. I'll be buying this one
4. The dialogue was definitely hard to discern off and on
5. I need to think through how reverse entropy things behave to better understand what happens
6. I want a TENET version of this book.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
tysker
AG
You kind of saw the 'twist' coming which made it easier/better to follow because the clues were there along the way. In chatting this morning, my wife mentioned that Robert Pattinson's character's Neil is probably Kat's son Maximilien, with Neil being the last four letter's of Max's name backwards. And apparently another character asked Neil if he was going to 'check in on Kat' a line that I somewhat recall but don't remember as being significant. Maybe it was obvious to others but I missed it as a possibility.
Post removed:
by user
schmendeler
AG
i would really enjoy another movie in this universe. to me, just more info about the inverted objects would be fascinating.

did i understand correctly that at the shooting range, the bullets are imbedded in the wall and when he pulls the trigger they come out of the wall into the gun?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.