*** TENET *** (SPOILER THREAD)

22,743 Views | 230 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by TCTTS
dave94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rick Dalton said:

My only concern with the rest of that post is that Tenet is thinks they'll be destroyed immediately, but why would that be the case if the future generation doesn't plan to reverse entropy until many generations later? Sator tells the Protagonist that he believes that he's killing his son when the dead man's switch goes off and that the future generation's descendants will now be able to live. Priya also says earlier that the future is waging war against us. This post assumes there is no immediate threat from the algorithm and throws the grandfather paradox out the window.

I may be way off, but I'm thinking that in most "time travel" situations, as soon as things are in place for something to happen, it will be instantaneous because the future characters will have received that information/object and put in motion whatever the endgame is. In this case they would put someone or something into inversion and make the threat happen.
dave94
AG
My mind is still awhirl since I've only seen it once, so thank you for all the insight!
G Martin 87
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Read this one reddit

" The algorithm isn't something that is "activated". The algorithm is just a piece of information that is needed in the future by the future people to reverse entropy. But, the future scientist that made it send it back to be hidden and the future people use sator to find the pieces, put them in a place that won't be touched for a long time, then leave a piece of information with the location for posterity, so that the future people in the future can read where it is, go dig it up and use it. The kill switch just activates the release of information about the location (for posterity), before this, only sator knows about the location."
Except that, even if Sator's plan had worked, Tenet still knows where the Algorithm is buried and can dig it up long before the future people can. It won't remain undisturbed. For the plan to have truly worked, Sator would have to make sure there were no surviving witnesses.
lazuras_dc
AG
G Martin 87 said:

lazuras_dc said:

Read this one reddit

" The algorithm isn't something that is "activated". The algorithm is just a piece of information that is needed in the future by the future people to reverse entropy. But, the future scientist that made it send it back to be hidden and the future people use sator to find the pieces, put them in a place that won't be touched for a long time, then leave a piece of information with the location for posterity, so that the future people in the future can read where it is, go dig it up and use it. The kill switch just activates the release of information about the location (for posterity), before this, only sator knows about the location."
Except that, even if Sator's plan had worked, Tenet still knows where the Algorithm is buried and can dig it up long before the future people can. It won't remain undisturbed. For the plan to have truly worked, Sator would have to make sure there were no surviving witnesses.

But what you're saying is that Sator is shot. Dumped off the boat banging his head off the lower railing and falling into the water and surviving until tenet casually disassembles the algorithm ??? Hard to buy unless there's a theory out there that kat killing old sator does not trigger the algorithm bc the other sator is still alive in that timeline.

Maybe I'm mis remembering the movie but I feel like the climax was a coinciding moment of Kat killing Sator and Neil dragging JDW and Ives out of the exploding bunker.
TriAg2010
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

3. I did not find the film overly confusing. I'd recommend researching entropy and thermo to prepare yourself.

Not only is that the worst possible way to sell a friend on seeing this film, there is no resemblance to how entropy actually works in forward or reverse. Like sure, fire would feel cold in the inverted timeline, but that sensation would also require his flesh to be spontaneously materializing from smoke and heat. That isn't what we observe. Nolan will sprinkle the thinnest scientific terms in his films to give a veneer of legitimacy to the plot points, but that's it. Knowing the details sometimes makes the film less enjoyable.

And it was a confusing movie. Just like the many German automobiles featured in the chase scenes, it was gorgeous, high-performing, and inexplicably complicated under the hood.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This movie really benefits from time spent analyzing and discussing after the fact. Already appreciate it way more than immediately after.

I do look forward to rewatching this.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I felt the car freezing didn't make much sense, to me.

HIM freezing, I can buy. But the car was not inverted. From the regular perspective, the car was just driving backwards, as we saw.
MooreTrucker
AG
I haven't read the whole thread so I can't comment much. I saw it at an Alamo which has all the fun stuff before the movie, including a Japanese music video called "Sugar Water" that was exactly like the movie in showing time inverted even down to the red/blue motif. Pretty cool.

Also I didn't notice much of the audio issues that y'all did.

My wife didn't like it much because there was no real character development for the Protagonist or really any of the others.
dave94
AG
Cibo Matto! I remember that video when I discovered them years ago. Pretty cool for Alamo to use that in their preshow.

G Martin 87
AG
No, what I'm saying is that Sator couldn't have buried the Algorithm and ensured that it would remain undisturbed for future generations to dig up and activate unless he did it in complete secrecy. The Tenet organization knew exactly where he was trying to bury it. So either the deadman switch to destroy the world works some other way and we all just misheard the explanation, or this is a giant plot hole. I'd trust Nolan not to make an elementary script mistake like that, so the explanation of the deadman switch may not be complete.
lazuras_dc
AG
Yea that's a good point. Some same folks raised similar questions on Reddit.

" Couldn't they just wait and dig up the Algorithm after Sator's men have left?
The movie wants you to believe that burying the Algorithm in the dead drop and broadcasting its location would allow the people in the past to retrieve the Algorithm and activate it, retroactively causing the destruction of the past and "The End Of The World" for our protagonists before they have a chance to do anything about it.

A similar situation happens in the final scene. Kat encounters Priya and immediately leaves a message on the Protagonist's phone. The Protagonist will receive this message in the future and invert back to this time to stop Priya. Which is why he's already sitting in the back seat. At this point Priya can't save her life by deciding to somehow intercept the message. It's already too late for her.

But it's also true that the movie is artificially trying to inflate the stakes somewhat. Already in the container on their way to Oslo the Protagonist wonders if the fact that The End Of The World hasn't happened means that their mission will inevitably be successful. Once the Protagonist learns the location of the dead drop, Sator's plan can't realistically succeed anymore."
lazuras_dc
AG
" Kat shoots Sator before she gets the clear sign but the world doesn't end? Why?
Kat was just a backstop just in case they somehow can't retrieve the Algorithm. By shooting Sator prematurely Kat basically raises the stakes for the Protagonist's team. They now absolutely have to escape the Dead Drop with the Algorithm to prevent The End Of The World."

Makes sense to me
Here I'll just share the link: https://www.reddit.com/r/tenet/comments/immbs8/official_faq_megathread_spoilers/
lazuras_dc
AG
https://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Tenet-Inside-Christopher-Quantum/dp/1647220602

For those of you asking for a book similar to the interstellar one
schmendeler
AG
lazuras_dc said:

https://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Tenet-Inside-Christopher-Quantum/dp/1647220602

For those of you asking for a book similar to the interstellar one

Nice, thanks!
MooreTrucker
AG
lazuras_dc said:

G Martin 87 said:

lazuras_dc said:

Read this one reddit

But what you're saying is that Sator is shot. Dumped off the boat banging his head off the lower railing and falling into the water and surviving until tenet casually disassembles the algorithm ??? Hard to buy unless there's a theory out there that kat killing old sator does not trigger the algorithm bc the other sator is still alive in that timeline.

Maybe I'm mis remembering the movie but I feel like the climax was a coinciding moment of Kat killing Sator and Neil dragging JDW and Ives out of the exploding bunker.
The algorithm is a formula to make something happen, not a thing to be activated. As was stated above, the dead drop thing triggered an email to someone giving the location of it. That is now invalid since they pulled it out, disassembled it, and spread it around again.

Also, as Kat and the agent were driving away in the boat, they were dragging Sator along behind them. Why would that be?
Thunder18
AG
I enjoyed this, not too difficult to follow but it did leave me with a few questions/points to ponder
lazuras_dc
AG
MooreTrucker said:

lazuras_dc said:

G Martin 87 said:

lazuras_dc said:

Read this one reddit

The algorithm is a formula to make something happen, not a thing to be activated. As was stated above, the dead drop thing triggered an email to someone giving the location of it. That is now invalid since they pulled it out, disassembled it, and spread it around again.

Also, as Kat and the agent were driving away in the boat, they were dragging Sator along behind them. Why would that be?

Then what would call the "thing" they dissembled ?

They drag him away to get rid of the body so there's no evidence present time of the future sator is my impression.
MooreTrucker
AG
It's the algorithm but it's symbol of an equation or something, not something that "activates".
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Can't wait to watch Nolan's next film, Dunkirk.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

lazuras_dc
AG
Any significance to the espresso he orders in Oslo?
MooreTrucker
AG
Rick Dalton said:

I just took that as him playing the part of a rich person who would store valuables in a freeport. Espresso is a lot more sophisticated than Diet Coke, especially to snobbish Europeans.

Except that he said "expresso ".....
Ol_Ag_02
AG
I think he finally went full Nolan. You never go full Nolan.

I'm gonna go back to the start of this thread and see if you people can explain it to me by the time I get back to my post.
cr0wbar
AG
Rick Dalton said:

Rick Dalton said:

tysker said:

Neil is probably Kat's son Maximilien, with Neil being the last four letter's of Max's name backwards.
The more I think about this the more I'm convinced it's correct.

When the family is on the yacht off of the Amalfi Coast Anna takes him to see Pompeii and Herculaneum, two cities that were once buried under a pile of rubble. We see Neil die in the hypocenter and his body is then buried under the rubble when the detonation goes off.

It would make sense for The Protagonist to eventually recruit him since he's constantly checking in on Kat and Max. Likewise, it would make sense for Neil to be willing to die for The Protagonist since he's the one who saved his mother's life in the final scene.
I've been thinking about this some more and here's how the timeline would work out:

Let's assume that Max is 10 years old. It would take him 8 years to finish high school and then 6 years to graduate with a master's in physics. That would put him at 24 years old when he's done with school.

The Protagonist could've watched Kat and Max for years and eventually become close to both of them. He could've been grooming Max before graduation, pushing him to study physics since that would be useful in Tenet. When we first see the two of them in Mumbai, Neil randomly asks The Protagonist if he'd ever take a woman and child hostage. He says that he would if he had to and Neil replies "no, you wouldn't." Kat probably told Max when he got older that this is exactly what Sator was doing to them and that The Protagonist was the one who helped save them from that situation. If The Protagonist did get close to both of them it's possible that he was a father figure to Max, making it easier to recruit him.

Pattinson is 34 and JDW is 36. This scenario would explain how their characters appear to be about the same age in the film. If Neil spent the majority of his time in Tenet inverting himself to get back to the time in the film he'd be 38 which Pattinson can pull off. This also adds up in a world where there's no reverse-aging while inverting.

At the very end, Neil tells The Protagonist that "there's a future for you in the past." This is a true statement from Neil's perspective if he's referring to his past and The Protagonist's future. Neil says that he's known The Protagonist for years and suspects that this is the end of their friendship, while The Protagonist realizes that it's just the beginning. Neil seems to know that by going with Ives that he's going to die in the hypocenter but save the world and The Protagonist in the process. He doesn't seem too upset by that idea, which would be understandable if I've got their relationship right.

I'm open to other ideas, but this seems like the best one so far. Every tiny detail is a clue in a Nolan film and I can't think of another way to add up the ones I've mentioned.

This, this is it. Need to get another re-watch in tomorrow. Nicely done, RD!
Chase McGuire
Caught a late showing last night. About 8 people in the whole showing at the IMAX in Bryan. Definitely understand the complaints about the audio and need for subtitles, but I caught most of what was going on in the first viewing. This thread is helping clear up the finer points. Personally, I loved it.
captkirk
AG
third coast.. said:

My wife was lost 2 minutes in due to the botched dialog and unintelligible accents. I had to guess what half of the movie was about. Couldn't understand a thing.
The movie is a mess. Interesting to look at, but confusing and jumbled

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.