*** TENET *** (SPOILER THREAD)

22,702 Views | 230 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by TCTTS
TajMaballer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Still processing the movie, but one thing that I don't think can be denied is Ludwig Gransson's score is fantastic.

Also, gotta talk about seeing it in 70mm. Nolan movies feel like they were made in another time, but this print helped enhance that 90s action thriller quality.

Not breaking new ground talking about the dialogue sound quality, but Nolan did a good enough job with the basic beats to know what was going on, so the exposition/minutiae will come with repeat viewings.

For those who have seen Ballers or Blackkklansman, you already knew that John David Washington has that natural charisma of his father. Very excited to see where his career goes from here. Would love to see him in the Marvel universe or attached to a blockbuster.

Overall a fun time at the theater. If you are in Chicago in the future, I can't recommend the Music Box enough. They do special screenings and festivals. Saw Phantom Thread in 70mm there a few weeks ago.
MonkeyKnifeFighter
tysker
AG
MonkeyKnifeFighter said:

I wonder if we are supposed to watch this film backward to really get it.

DVD hidden extra, incoming!
So watch it backwards huh?

MonkeyKnifeFighter
BassCowboy33
1. Amazing. The technical and mental prowess it takes to create something like this boggles my mind.

2. This film will do for John David Washington and Robert Pattinson, what "Inception" did for Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Tom Hardy. This is a new Pattinson.

3. I did not find the film overly confusing. I'd recommend researching entropy and thermo to prepare yourself.

4. I did not find the dialogue hard to understand.

5. The score is the best I've heard in years.

6. Kenneth Branagh acted his heart out.

7. The theater was limited to 50% capacity, as well as seating restrictions. The theater was maybe 15% full. Much more socially distant and cleaner than a gym, plane, or restaurant.

8. I'll be thinking about the flow of time for days.

9. If you can, see it in IMAX.
dave94
AG
The fight in the corridor at the Oslo storage facility was an amazing piece of filmmaking, both times. When it hit me that the Protagonist was about to be blown through the roll down door I got freaking giddy. The choreography of that was unlike anything we've ever seen.

So cool, can't wait to see it again.
DVC2010
AG
I may have missed this because of a quick restroom break, or maybe it just got lost in seeing the same scene from earlier in reverse, but why did they have to go back to Oslo?
DVC2010
AG
The bit about how the wound worked was what I missed, but it still seems like a lot more work to go back to the Oslo turnstile instead of just hanging out for seven days and then using a different one.
DVC2010
AG
Rick Dalton said:

I believe that the radiation from the inverted round passing through a non-inverted body makes a non-lethal wound extremely lethal. By inverting the patient you neutralize the effect of the radiation.

The only turnstile that they knew the condition of 7 days prior was the one in Oslo because they'd been there. Ives says that they'd just captured the one in Tallinn and before that it belonged to Sator. To them it seemed like a better idea to go back to one where they knew exactly what to expect instead of inverting and not knowing where another available turnstile would be.

In reality, Neil and Ives knew they had one on the Tenet boat but didn't mention this since they need the Protagonist to make the decision for himself. Neil also knew that they were going to Oslo because he saw the inverted Protagonist the first time they were there.
That's what was confusing me. Thanks!
lazuras_dc
AG
Definitely complicated and a mind fk. Love movies that you have to dive in afterwards and figure out what's up. And imo way better to have an original movie than watching a marvel reboot for the 1000th time. That being said I have some questions y'all may be able to answer:

The first scene is a test by cia/Tenet. So was Stephen (the Russian guy from limitless) in on it? Or the fake cianide pill made JDW appear dead to the Russian who just left him there and the cia later recovered his body ? So JDW actually was tortured and missing his teeth/a tooth or whatever they did to him whole film?

Also can someone explain the freeway heist. So Sator let's JDW steal the algorithm part waits until they're clear and driving away... inverts himself. Grabs Kat and his henchmen (is anyone else inverted? Can't remember) and intercepts JDW in order to steal it back and later we find inverted JDW also is in the mix.

Lastly the scene on the yacht. Young Sator is away for the day but "old" reverted kat kills old reverted Sator in the boat. How did she know old Sator was going to be there there. And in the timeline what happens to young Sator, presumably goes on about his timeline ? But then why did he "disappear" after that day as explained earlier in the movie ?

Also I guess this is a big part of the narrative I don't think I caught. how does sator communicate with the future ? Future people leave him gold in time capsules to assemble the algorithm/build the time turnstile? But wasn't Sators death supposed to trigger the algorithm why does it need to be dropped down that hatch? I'm assuming since it wasn't in that hatch when sator was shot, it never activated?
Post removed:
by user
lazuras_dc
AG
third coast.. said:

There was a scene where they explained 4hwt the protagonist was in a medically induced coma to fix his teeth.

As a dentist, this is pretty laughable but not relevant to the plot so we can move on - And yes I get that the entire movie is fiction. Just a side observation.

I think most of my questions got answered via YouTube. found this timeline so really the only thing left is where does young Sators timeline go after he leaves the yacht in Vietnam ? It connects back up to when we first see him in Italy ? Why does kat think he's disappeared then when it's old sator that's killed and dumped.

fightinags2013
AG
https://www.vox.com/culture/21419050/tenet-explained-sator-square-nolan

""So in a sense, the Sator square is seeded throughout Tenet, woven into its fabric in a way that is easy to miss. Yet it's unmistakably present, and since the movie itself contains sequences that move, in essence, forward and backward and are the same yet different when you watch them it functions, in a way, like a kind of cinematic Sator square."
lazuras_dc
AG
Rick Dalton said:

lazuras_dc said:

The first scene is a test by cia/Tenet. So was Stephen (the Russian guy from limitless) in on it? Or the fake cianide pill made JDW appear dead to the Russian who just left him there and the cia later recovered his body ? So JDW actually was tortured and missing his teeth/a tooth or whatever they did to him whole film?
There's a lot going on in that siege but I think I've figured it out. The Protagonist believes that the CIA is faking the siege as cover for extracting their undercover agent (who for some reason, had left what the CIA thought was plutonium 241 at the coatcheck). The CIA waits for the Ukrainians to show up and goes in with them. The first thing the Ukrainians do is flood the opera with gas to knock everybody out. This surprises the Protagonist but is something that the Russians did years ago. That and the synchronized explosives to kill all of the innocent people make me think those Ukrainians were actually Sator's men there trying to get the 241. We know Tenet is also there because we see Neil. When the Protagonist meets up with his team at the rally point in the opera house, he hands off the 241 and says he's changing the plan and goes to collect the explosives. At this point he goes from playing a supporting role to a leading one.

The Protagonist is later tortured by one of Sator's men who leaves him for dead after he takes the cyanide pill. Sator's man doesn't believe the pill is fake because he gives it to Sator who plans to use it to commit suicide at the end of the movie on his yacht in Vietnam. Tenet knew it was fake since they setup the siege and went and retrieved the Protagonist after he was left for dead.

Priya says later that Tenet wants Sator to get the final piece of the algorithm so that he'll bring them all together in one location and Tenet can then capture the competed algorithm before it's activated. I don't think Tenet intended the opera siege to be a test for the Protagonist, I think they were using the undercover agent as an unwitting protagonist to put the 241 in position for Sator to capture it. When the Protagonist changed the plan and the 241 wound up with the Ukrainian Security Service Tenet needed another "fresh-faced protagonist" that they could nudge along to get the 241 into Sator's hands. Since the Protagonist changed their original plan, he became their new guy.
Quote:

Also can someone explain the freeway heist. So Sator let's JDW steal the algorithm part waits until they're clear and driving away... inverts himself. Grabs Kat and his henchmen (is anyone else inverted? Can't remember) and intercepts JDW in order to steal it back and later we find inverted JDW also is in the mix.
Sator and the Protagonist had a deal, he would steal the 241 in exchange for him letting his wife go. Kat isn't inverted when Sator gets the case from the Protagonist because she isn't wearing an oxygen mask, only Sator is.
Quote:

Lastly the scene on the yacht. Young Sator is away for the day but "old" reverted kat kills old reverted Sator in the boat. How did she know old Sator was going to be there there. And in the timeline what happens to young Sator, presumably goes on about his timeline ? But then why did he "disappear" after that day as explained earlier in the movie?
Kat said Sator disappeared for a few days while they were in Vietnam and I suspect that he went to Kiev to try to retrieve the last piece of the algorithm at the opera. They deduce that Sator is going back to the 24th because that was the day of the explosion in Stalsk-12 that Sir Michael mentioned as well as the day that Kat said she tried to make him feel loved. So in the finale it's "old" Sator who went there to feel loved by "young" Kat. After she gives him the speech about despair and vengeance and shows him the scar where he shot her he knows he's been tricked and she kills him. It's worth mentioning that he takes the best fall off of a boat since that dude hit the propeller on his way down in Titanic.
Quote:

Also I guess this is a big part of the narrative I don't think I caught. how does sator communicate with the future ? Future people leave him gold in time capsules to assemble the algorithm/build the time turnstile? But wasn't Sators death supposed to trigger the algorithm why does it need to be dropped down that hatch? I'm assuming since it wasn't in that hatch when sator was shot, it never activated?
In the flashback where Sator is telling the Protagonist about his first job recovering exploded plutonium in Stalsk-12, we see him unearth a capsule. When he and his coworker open it there's a laminated letter addressed to Andrei Sator along with some gold bars. That letter probably outlines the partnership they want to form with him and he immediately accepts by murdering his coworker. The Protagonist tells Neil when they get to Tallinn that Sator buries empty boxes in places that won't be disturbed for generations and then immediately digs them up and retrieves whatever the future is sending him, so to Sator the dead drops are instantaneous. Sator wants to drop the algorithm down the hypocenter so that nobody else can get it until his partners in the future go retrieve it. The only answer for why the algorithm didn't activate when Sator was shot is that he didn't die immediately from the gunshot wound or being shoved off into the water.

That's certainly an interesting theory for the prologue. I like it.

Lastly Is it Sators death that triggers the algorithm? Or the explosion that buried the algorithm for his future partners ?
- I assumed it was the latter.

Also I find it hard to trust the future of my evil plans to my Fitbit. What if it runs out of battery, comes off, wife steals it???
lazuras_dc
AG
I was being a little facetious about the Fitbit part.

If I understood correctly Algorithm is not a bomb but it activates reverse entropy of the world so that it self "annihilates". But some reason I thought the dead man switch was to activate the bomb that sealed the algorithm in the time capsule for future people to use rather than activate the algorithm itself then. But I guess it would be a moot point either way other than the timing of it.

when kat kills sator the bomb goes off but ives and protagonist are pulled out by Neil so that the algorithm doesn't get sealed and hence never activated by the future villains vs. The theory that kat shoots and dumps sator but him not dying until the algorithm gets dissembled.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Found that incredibly hard to follow. And yet the person I was with said she had no problem.

Maybe I'm just dumb.

Gonna read through this thread and hope it helps me understand.

I will say that the action setpieces and the score were fantastic, as is to be expected from any Nolan movie.
lazuras_dc
AG
Read this one reddit

" The algorithm isn't something that is "activated". The algorithm is just a piece of information that is needed in the future by the future people to reverse entropy. But, the future scientist that made it send it back to be hidden and the future people use sator to find the pieces, put them in a place that won't be touched for a long time, then leave a piece of information with the location for posterity, so that the future people in the future can read where it is, go dig it up and use it. The kill switch just activates the release of information about the location (for posterity), before this, only sator knows about the location."
lazuras_dc
AG
Brian, I felt like I walked out of there with a firm grasp of what happened then the more I read and thought about it the more confused I got haha.
Read here and reddit/YouTube and it will start to make sense.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Whay happened to Sator? We see him die, but obviously he has to still be around in order for all future events to occur to lead to that event. The Sator we see die wasn't future Sator, was it?

How was her wound healing when she was inverted? I'm still not clear as to how and why being inverted saved her life.

And at the end, there are now two of the girl, right? At the end it seemed we were looking at her future version.
schmendeler
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Whay happened to Sator? We see him die, but obviously he has to still be around in order for all future events to occur to lead to that event. The Sator we see die wasn't future Sator, was it?

How was her wound healing when she was inverted? I'm still not clear as to how and why being inverted saved her life.

And at the end, there are now two of the girl, right? At the end it seemed we were looking at her future version.
The sator that dies was "future" sator, yes, I think.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This was helpful.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I didn't realize that scene was that far in the future, I thought it was immediately after Vietnam.

So younger Kat had already "become" current Kat by that point I'm assuming.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.