*** TENET *** (SPOILER THREAD)

22,675 Views | 230 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MW03
brillag
AG
So what happened to all of Rick Dalton's comments. Sounds like this guy has some answers. I can read a few where he was quoted but for some reason they've all disappeared?
TCTTS
AG
Apparently someone on one of the other boards wrote a script recently that allowed users to delete all of their past posts. TexAgs has since crippled it, but I've noticed multiple posters who used it before it went down. My only guess is that after this past week's events, certain posters are either scrubbing their history as to not risk getting canceled/doxxed, or not risk being associated in any way with Forum 16, considering the utter insanity currently being posted over there. Truth be told, F16 has become so vile and deranged these past few days that I've thought about leaving myself. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that either someone from F16 is going to be involved in some kind of public, news-making meltdown at some point, be it online or, God forbid, in the real world - or - F16 as a whole is going to be called out/identified in a very public way, given the current climate. And I'm afraid this site, and maybe even certain people associated with it, are going to be blamed in some way. Personally, there's nothing I've ever posted here that I'm ashamed of (save for some semi-embarrassing movie takes), I love this site as a whole, I hardly engage with F16, and am going to wait and see if things simmer down before deciding if I'm out as well. I doubt I leave, but man, I've certainly considered it, as it's really, really disheartening to be even tangentially associated with everything going on in F16 right now, to say nothing of the annoying spillover that has always made its way here.
DallasTeleAg
*sigh*
Tibbers
TCTTS said:

Apparently someone on one of the other boards wrote a script recently that allowed users to delete all of their past posts. TexAgs has since crippled it, but I've noticed multiple posters who used it before it went down. My only guess is that after this past week's events, certain posters are either scrubbing their history as to not risk getting canceled/doxxed, or not risk being associated in any way with Forum 16, considering the utter insanity currently being posted over there. Truth be told, F16 has become so vile and deranged these past few days that I've thought about leaving myself. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that either someone from F16 is going to be involved in some kind of public, news-making meltdown at some point, be it online or, God forbid, in the real world - or - F16 as a whole is going to be called out/identified in a very public way, given the current climate. And I'm afraid this site, and maybe even certain people associated with it, are going to be blamed in some way. Personally, there's nothing I've ever posted here that I'm ashamed of (save for some semi-embarrassing movie takes), I love this site as a whole, I hardly engage with F16, and am going to wait and see if things simmer down before deciding if I'm out as well. I doubt I leave, but man, I've certainly considered it, as it's really, really disheartening to be even tangentially associated with everything going on in F16 right now, to say nothing of the annoying spillover that has always made its way here.

Clutch those pearls, Nancy.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, well, it's nothing compared to the pearl clutching going on in F16 right now.

I'm simply offering a reason as to why a number of people are clearing their history all the sudden, on both sides of the isle, especially when sh*t like this is starting to pop up...

https://www.reddit.com/r/ParlerWatch/comments/kuleoz/parler_is_gone_sports_message_boards_are_secret/

Again, personally, I could not care less about those kinds of outside factors. I have nothing to hide, nor am I ashamed to post here. It's just that, especially as of late, I've been wondering more than usual if it's even worth the hassle anymore, considering the endless mine fields all over the forums now, that are all due to one, increasingly hostile and deranged forum in particular.
Tibbers
Then stop posting or delete everything you have posted. It's all good. You are valued here and we should never be afraid of what others think of our opinions. Cancel culture cuts both ways anyway. Don't let fear silence you however as that cancels out your effect on the world. We are meant to be good and true to ourselves especially in the face of dire circumstance.
TCTTS
AG
I appreciate that, and I agree 100%.
DallasTeleAg
Can we please get off the politics. I hate posts like these that just bait a response, then someone like me responds, and then we are shouted down for bringing "F16 derangement" to this forum. It's cowardly and irrational.

We disagree politically. I get it. Back to topic.
Ornithopter
AG
Do you think we will get a sequel?
Decay
AG
Just watch it backwards

But being honest, no way. Where do you go from here?! While I'm sure there's more cool ideas, I think it's hard to build the story for something that's mostly already bookended with the first movie wrapping around itself.
LylaGarrity
AG
Finally saw Tenet...or did I?
GiveEmHellBill
AG
DubFalls said:

Do you think we will get a sequel?
Wouldn't that be a prequel?

TCTTS
AG
Back in theaters/IMAX next month!

Quote:

In news that both is and is not what it appears to be, Christopher Nolan is back in business with Warner Bros., as the studio will re-release Tenet in theaters - including premium IMAX 70mm screens - for one week in support of Denis Villeneuve's Dune: Part Two.

Tenet will open on Friday, Feb. 23, and play for one week leading up to the March 1 release of Dune: Part Two, which is scheduled to play for at least two weeks on premium IMAX 70mm screens. I wouldn't be surprised if new footage from the Dune sequel debuted in front of Tenet, as WB is very bullish on the sequel, which has already begun screening for select press (i.e. not me).

I've held this story for two weeks but was asked not to post until after the Oscar nominations, as Nolan wanted to keep the focus on Universal's Oppenheimer, which led the way with 13 nods on Tuesday.

As for why both sides are doing this now, there are several reasons.

First and foremost, this is about Christopher Nolan stumping both for movie theaters and for his pal Denis Villeneuve, as these guys are making movies on a totally different scale than most directors outside of James Cameron.

Nolan is a big believer in the theatrical experience, and he knows that Villeneuve is as well. The two of them can relate to each other in several respects, as Villeneuve was forced into an uncomfortable position when Warners decided to release Dune: Part One simultaneously in U.S. theaters and on HBO Max.

The filmmakers have been very supportive of each other, as days after Dune's opening, Nolan sat down with Villeneuve to discuss the making of the film for an episode of the DGA's Director's Cut podcast following a screening at the guild.

I'm told that the idea to put Tenet back into theaters was actually Nolan's idea and that when he approached Warner Bros. executives with it, they were more than receptive.

Not only did they see the possible benefits for Dune: Part Two, but they know that Tenetgot screwed, and in more ways than one.

For starters, it was released at the height of the pandemic on Sept. 3, 2020, after opening in the UK a week earlier. Though it grossed $365 million worldwide, it took in just $58 million at the domestic box office - well below Nolan's average, though the state of moviegoing was obviously compromised. I mean, I saw the movie while wearing a raincoat and latex gloves due to (largely unnecessary) Covid concerns.

As a result of its unfortunate release date, there has long been a feeling that Tenet left some money on the table. Interstellar and Dunkirk, for example, grossed far less than Inception and Oppenheimer, but at $188 million and $189 million respectively, both more than tripled the domestic gross of Tenet, which was fed to the wolves and forced to fend for itself in a terrified marketplace.

This is a gesture on WB's part toward not only rectifying that box office wrong but doing right by Nolan's movie itself.

See, Tenet was meant to be seen on 70mm IMAX screens but it was robbed of that opportunity. Yes, the film has been screened in IMAX theaters, and yes, it has been presented in 70mm by the American Cinematheque, but I don't believe it was ever presented in 70mm IMAX. The projectionists who are capable of operating 70mm IMAX projectors were already booked for March 1, so I imagine their contracts have been extended a little longer, and that they'll now be asked to come in to work a week early.

But the most important reason this is happening, obviously, is because it's another opportunity for Warner Bros. to repair its relationship with Christopher Nolan, which is of the utmost priority to David Zaslav, who in recent weeks has lured both Tom Cruise and Leonardo DiCaprio back to the Burbank lot.

Now, just because Warner Bros. is re-releasing Tenet doesn't mean that Christopher Nolan has committed to making his next movie for the studio. Yeah, Warner Bros. wants to be in business with Nolan, but so does every studio. Right now, he remains a free agent.

And believe me, Donna Langley will do everything in her power to bring him back to Universal, which did a great job getting Oppenheimer to $952 million. The studio is also on the precipice of delivering Nolan the coveted Best Director Oscar that Warners never could.

But the fact that Nolan did post-production on Oppenheimer on the Warners lot, coupled with the re-release of Tenet, suggests that the studio has mended fences and Nolan is open to a return under the right circumstances.
Expect an official announcement on Thursday before Tenet tickets go on sale on Friday, Jan. 26.

Warner Bros. and a representative for Nolan had no comment.
Sea Speed
AG
TCTTS said:

Back in theaters/IMAX next month!

Quote:

I saw the movie while wearing a raincoat and latex gloves due to (largely unnecessary) Covid concerns.

Reminder how ******ed things and people were.

Oddly enough I saw this movie for the first time in a theater in between San Diego and LA with like 6 other people and I didn't even need to wear a mask
TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
This was the only Christopher Nolan movie since 2008 that I hadn't yet seen in IMAX (or even theatrically), and if you never did either, I highly recommend doing so. The re-release began this past Friday, lasts to this coming Wednesday, and is absolutely worth it, as this thing plays even better on a giant screen with ear-splitting sound.

I saw it with about 800 other people, in a packed house, all of whom were surprisingly super into it and applauded at the end. A couple behind me made it especially fun, as they had clearly never seen it before, making all the right confused/astonished what-the-hell noises, gasping throughout, etc. Overall, it was awesome.

The craziest thing, though, is just how well of a double feature Tenet now makes with Oppenheimer. I remembered the Oppenheimer name drop, but forgot it was in reference to a scientist from the future, and how they literally say she was/is the Oppenheimer of the future, but ended up doing what he didn't and trying to rid the world of her discovery/invention by scattering all the pieces of it back through time. Even the Manhattan Project is mentioned.

Then, at the end, Pattinson's character says a whole thing about how this was "The bomb that didn't go off. That's the bomb with the real power to change the world," which is almost the exact opposite of Oppenheimer's now-infamous final scene...

OPPENHEIMER
Albert? When I came to you with those calculations? We were worried that we'd start a chain reaction that would destroy the entire world...

EINSTEIN
I remember it well. What of it?

OPPENHEIMER
I believe we did.

To get super-meta with it, you could almost view Tenet as a *response* to Oppenheimer, except in typical Tenet/Nolan fashion, he released the response first.

Anyway, definitely give it a shot again if you get the chance, as it's totally worth it.

There's also a sick new Dune: Part Two trailer playing with it exclusively, for those who care.
YNWA_AG
AG
Didn't Nolan make Oppenheimer because Robert Pattinson gave Nolan American Prometheus?

I saw tenet again on Friday. I still love this movie. not his best work, but it is such a fun ride. The idea/concepts are so fascinating. The imax sound is so incredible in theaters.
TCTTS
AG
Correct. Pattinson gave Nolan the book because of the scene in Tenet, and then the book inspired Nolan to make Oppenheimer

Sorry, I didn't mean either one was it was literal response to the other, hence "almost." It's just fascinating to me how the two movies are still intertwined, play off of each other, and then both end with bomb dialogue, each saying the exact opposite thing in the process (or the same, depending on how you look at it).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.