***DARK - SEASON 3 (FINALE)*** (aka Best Netflix Series)

32,498 Views | 359 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by Martin Q. Blank
schmendeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
WoMD said:

Madagascar said:

Pete the guy on YouTube addresses this. it is switched when she is in alternate worlds. It was the showmakers way of helping us stay oriented.

Weird. Nothing logical about assuming viewers will figure that out without some sort of rationale behind it. Shouldn't have to watch a YouTube video to get it. Most of the questions and oddities in the show had some way to explain them somewhere along the way, which makes it such a fun experience. But this one just seemed thrown in with no rhyme or reason. Nitpicking, yes, but it seemed like an odd thing to put in there without giving any sort of explanation. Or maybe they did, and I missed it entirely.

Oh, and is it just me, or is Martha not as attractive with black hair? She seemed less attractive in season 3, I assumed from her hair.
it's the terrible bangs.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Put me in the camp that thinks the mirroring was a little dumb and cheesy. I get that it's a cool and easy way to distinguish the two worlds, but it doesn't make a whole lot of logical sense for the word to be physically mirrored.

(And yes, I understand this is a show about dark matter and time travel.)
bigbass1170
AG
Just finished going through all 3 seasons. Easily Netflix's best series. Top 5 series ever for me. Thanks to BES for the recommendation!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
M.C. Swag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

lolol jesus that's funny (and frightening)
Mantis Toboggan MD
AG
Wow. Just finished season 3 and like the previous seasons I needed tons of supplemental material to comprehend what in the f*** was going on. But season 3 was a very well done finale for a unique and captivating show.

Although my prevailing thought right now is that I can't help but think that throughout the show Jonas and Martha must have felt like Michael Scott getting vasectomies (snip snap snip snap snip snap). Simply because of the amount of times they were manipulated by Sic Mundus/Erit Lux who kept accusing the other side of being the bringer of the apocalypse.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Proposition Joe
Made the mistake of getting the SO interested in the show so that delayed my ability to finish it by a week or so, but finally finished it up last night.

Overall I thought it was a great series. Season 3 didn't quite stick the landing like I hoped though. By far the weakest of the 3, simply because it got bogged down in telling a story that, while it all made "sense" once you were finished, it was not a really enjoyable reveal along the way.

My posts are generally critical when it comes to media, so I'll try not to be TOO negative seeing as I loved the series as whole... How did the sparkly-space traveling through a moment in time survive the cutting room floor? woof. I felt like too much was crammed into the final two episodes. We had a season fleshing out Jonas' original world, then oh **** there's a future timeline introduced in S2. Cool. Then that gets somewhat fleshed out and then boom - an alternate world. Double cool. But then this 3rd "world" not getting introduced until the 11th hour and it being the key just seemed way too much.

One of the neatest scenes in the whole series is I believe the S1 finale where they show both versions of characters young and old next to each other as action played out. I really felt something like that was needed for the final episode to really help the viewer understand what the consequences actually were on this new world (maybe a frame on top that had the big timeline with names disappearing from it as those characters were erased from existence?).

I won't say I fully "get" the quantum entanglement stuff, but I'm able to follow along after the fact -- but I really feel like it would have made a much better season had the viewers hand been held just a little bit more. It's like they started to do that with the Schrodinger's Cat intro but then gave no more support. Frustrating because with the character of Tannahaus being used so much in S3 there were plenty of opportunities for him to give insight into these things. Going back I can see why this person or that person did this or that in certain scenes, but I think it would have been far more enjoyable to understand that in real-time instead of it being revealed after the fact. It will make for a fun re-watch, but took away from the initial watch. Keyser Soze made for a great "oh **** it was him the whole time!" reveal, but it didn't make the events in the film difficult to comprehend.

And IMO the music choices in S3 were an epic letdown. It's like they tried to get TOO cute. S1 and S2's song choices were great, S3's just seemed jarring and completely out of place.

Overall:

S1: A+
S2: A-
S3: B-
bobinator
AG
I thought the same thing with the music, but I was wondering if maybe the music lands differently with a German audience so I was willing to let that go.
Proposition Joe
bobinator said:

I thought the same thing with the music, but I was wondering if maybe the music lands differently with a German audience so I was willing to let that go.

Yeah I just thought the S1 and S2 song choices were odd but they worked and were very powerful. I mean, Peter Gabriel hitting "my body is a cage" right as the two Charlotte's touch could give you goosebumps.

"What A Wonderful World" left me going wtf.... Felt soooo out of place.
M.C. Swag
AG
Proposition Joe said:

bobinator said:

Yeah I just thought the S1 and S2 song choices were odd but they worked and were very powerful. I mean, Peter Gabriel hitting "my body is a cage" right as the two Charlotte's touch could give you goosebumps.

"What A Wonderful World" left me going wtf.... Felt soooo out of place.
lol yea that finale song choice was definitely too on the nose
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Agreed on that song choice.
WoMD
Proposition Joe said:

I mean, Peter Gabriel hitting "my body is a cage" right as the two Charlotte's touch could give you goosebumps.

This is the one I instantly thought of when I consider the music just fitting the moment. That arcade fire song (I didn't know who it was singing it at the time, but I liked the version they chose for the scene) was an incredible choice there. Perfection.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Just started watching the first season. Me after every episode.

cupcakesprinkles
AG
Would you rather................

Get your head bashed in 5 minutes after entering another dimension?

OR

Get locked up for life in a mental institution in another dimension?

NC2001
AG
cupcakesprinkles said:

Would you rather................

Get your head bashed in 5 minutes after entering another dimension?

OR

Get locked up for life in a mental institution in another dimension?

I'd rather wake up every morning having sex like in 80% of the openings :-)
double aught
AG
80% of the openings? Wow. Just give me two and I'll be happy.
Legal Custodian
AG
So this might be a dumb question. I've watched all 3 seasons and it ranks up there with one of my favorites. And I might have missed it, but...

Why is the show called Dark?
sburg2007
Dark matter...
Legal Custodian
AG
sburg2007 said:

Dark matter...
......I'm an idiot
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also the themes of light vs dark...oft repeated.
M.C. Swag
AG
Idk if any of you are into podcasts, but 'The Watch' (a Ringer podcast focused on entertainment) is going to start discussing S3 of Dark in increments starting tomorrow (whenever that pod drops).

Jim01
AG
Just finished.

I flew through seasons 1 and 2 the couple weeks leading up to season 3, but then took a couple weeks to get through season 3.

Really loved the show but I will say season 3 started to get a bit annoying in the middle. I grew tired of the endless "You can't trust her, I'm the light!.... No WAIT. He's not to be trusted, I'm the light!" loop.

I actually liked the song choice for the finale.

I think I made it 1 episode before switching to the German audio with subtitles. Man those overdubs are horrible.

I do want to rewatch to catch it all.

And every time they showed Martha I let out a sigh of joy. So hot! Very much has a German Jennifer Lawrence vibe to her
bobinator
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Also the themes of light vs dark...oft repeated.
Also because all of the characters we care the most about never existed at the end.
Madagascar
AG
Something I've also been thinking about: did Michael really have to kill himself to start everything? Couldnt his younger self still have gone back in time and the whole loop remain in tact? He could have still revealed himself to Jonas and been his ally the whole time.
double aught
AG
Why does Ulrich not exist in the third (original] world?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Because his father doesn't exist. Because his grandparents don't exist. Because Jonas doesn't exist. And round and round it goes...
schmendeler
AG
double aught said:

Why does Ulrich not exist in the third (original] world?
he's Bartosz' great grandson.

edit: and like BES says, also, Jonas' and Martha's grandson.

so he's also his own great grandfather...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Jonas' as well. Imagine finding out your great grandparents are your son's best friends...lol.
schmendeler
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Jonas' as well. Imagine finding out your great grandparents are your son's best friends...lol.
or that your great grandmother was your mistress' daughter with the police chief that you hated growing up?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Great point. Him knowing he's a descendant of Egon would likely make him combust in pure hatred. LMAO
Proposition Joe
Agreed with the lull in Season 3. S1 and S2 I could have binged all the way in a few days (and did somewhat!)... There were a few S3 episodes that I was ready for it to be over.
maca1028
One episode left. Can't wait to open the spoilers up! One thing I'm trying to get straight is who exists only because of time travel?
Malachi Constant
AG
Finally finished. Thought it was great
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
All of the Nielsen family tree (minus Jana). Jonas, Bartosz, Silja, Noah, Charlotte, Elizabeth, Fransizka, and of course, the Unknown.

Edit - Actually, Bartosz's existence isn't dependent on time travel, it's just that Regina and Alexander never meet in the origin world.
Malachi Constant
AG
I finished this show entirely in the span of about 10 days. I hadn't watched Seasons 1 or 2 until 3 was already out, so I was able to binge pretty much the whole show.

One thing I didn't like was that the origin world was brought in too late. They did some cool things to show you which world you were in, like letterboxing everything that as part of the origin. I think if they had interspersed some of these scenes throughout all the seasons, it would have been less of a deus ex machina at the end.

Furthermore, I feel like they abandoned some storylines like Clausen and the initial attempts at the time machine - i.e. the ones that burned the kids' faces when sending them back.

Finally, I didn't make the connection that the Unknown guys (Martha and Jonas' child) were actually the start of it all. The middle-aged Unknown guy is Tronte Neilson's father. In hindsight, they did suggest that strongly, but It could have been a little more explicit. Because he's Tronte's father, the entire Neilson family is descended from that guy, which is the actual beginning of all of the problems in Winden. This makes more sense in the last scene that there are no Neilsons left, because Jonas and Martha never had a child (The Unknown), so there would be no Tronte Neilson, which means no Ulrich Neilson, no Mads Neilson, no Martha Neilson, no Michael Kahnwald, and therefore no Jonas Kahnwald. This was a critical item.

Overall, the best thing about this show for me was how it took over control of my thoughts even when I wasn't watching. I couldn't help but think about it all weekend. That's an indicator of a great show. It definitely sticks with you.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.