***** MAY THE 4TH BE WITH YOU STAR WARS BEST MOMENTS MEGA-TOURNAMENT *****

17,936 Views | 258 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TL; DR explanation: Pick the best 'moment' from all 11 Star Wars movies plus the three best TV shows - Rebels, Clone Wars, The Mandalorian. Top 2 from each region get into the tournament of champions plus 36 wildcards picked based on their cumulative percentage of the vote.

Our first three regions: A New Hope, The Phantom Menace, and The Force Awakens. VOTE HERE!

Longer explanation: Best Star Wars moments. Instead of one giant field, we'd do a smaller tournament for each of the 11 movies (9 episodes, plus Rogue One and Solo) plus one for Rebels, one for The Clone Wars, and one for Season 1 of the Mandalorian, which is about a 3-1/2 hour movie in its own right. Nominations were collected from the Star Wars General Discussion Board Will be knocking out 3 regions per week (give or take), and then run it all together at the end for the grand finale. Your job is just to vote. And biatch about things. Because it wouldn't be a TexAgs Entertainment board tournament without all the biatching. Oh and to make some Jar Jar jokes.

As Darth Vader once told Captain Needa, "Engage!"

Avengers Endgame explanation: Forty-three years ago, we got Star Wars. All of us. We watched it with friends. We watched it with family. We watched it by ourselves. Today, we have a chance to take it all back. Your know your films, you know your favorites. Cast your votes, then check back. One vote each. No mistakes. No stuffing the ballot box. Most of us are voting for movies we know, that doesn't mean we will know what moment's going to win. Be careful. Make fun of each other's picks. This is the vote of our lives. And we're going to waste a lot of time. Whatever it takes to get through this GD coronavirus. Good luck.
CapCityAg89
AG
Help me Obi-Wan. You're my only hope.

Waaaaayyyy under-seeded.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Doesn't matter, it's losing to Vader
double aught
AG
Great work.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
"BEN!"

This gave me chills the first time I saw TFA, especially considering what Han thought of Ben Kenobi in the short time he knew him.

"Where did you dig up that old fossil?"

DotF got knocked out way too early in the soundtrack tourney, so Maul igniting his double-bladed lightsaber needs to make it deep into this tournament.

Good job on this, Muck. Thanks for keeping us entertained throughout this quarantine. May the 4th be with you. Always.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
monday mornng el bumpo
rhutton125
AG
Pretty strong list, I gotta say. And that's as someone that hates the prequels and sequels equally.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TPM has been the most divided one so far. I will definitely agree with you that this makes a lot of the movies people bag on a lot more fun. The cartoons are the most work, saving them for last.
redline248
AG
Some of these seedings make for difficult choices
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It was difficult voting against Palps and Maul on the balcony.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
If you haven't read Darth Plagueis you shoud; that scene is portrayed in a whole new light.
Not a Bot
AG
I was still pretty young when The Phantom Menace came out, so it was hard for me to pick anything in terms of emotional impact. Going back and re-watching the series, there were a few cool seems mostly revolving around Darth Maul but I couldn't find myself picking really anything involving the "main characters."
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
2nd round for Episodes 1, 4, 7 now OPEN!

Round 1 Results

A New Hope Bracket

#1 Binary Sunset def. #16 R2/Chewie holochess 81%-19%
#2 Opening shot def. Luke uses the Force with the remote on the Falcon 96%-4%
#3 Luke blows up the Death Star def. #14 Death Star blows up Alderaan 91%-9%
#13 Vader waiting for Obi-Wan in the hallway def. #4 Han Solo shoots Vader off Luke's back 51%-49%
#5 I find your lack of faith disturbing def. Princess Leia hologram 76%-24%
#6 More powerful than you can possibly imagine def. #11 I'm Luke Skywalker, I'm here to rescue you 67%-33%
#10 First look at the cantina def. #7 Luke's return to the burning homestead 63%-37%
#9 Han's we're fine here, how are you? def. #8 Obi-Wan Kenobi? 67%-33%

The Phantom Menace Bracket

#1 Maul lights it up def. #16 Watto's mind tricks 96%-4%
#2 Obi-Wan, Maul split the difference def. #15 R2D2 repair job 90%-10%
#3 Qui-Gon vs. Maul Part 1 def. #14 Maul/Sidious on the veranda 80%-20%
#4 Yoda's the motivational speaker def. #13 Anakain wins the Boonta Eve Classic 54%-46%
#5 Anakin meets Obi-Wan def. Obi-Wan knighted 52%-48%
#6 Opening shot of the pod race arena def. the Droidekas 70%-30%
#7 Qui-Gon melts the blast door def. Two Jedi walk out of a gas-filled room 51%-49%
#8 First look at the Jedi Council def. #9 First look at the Senate 72%-28%

The Force Awakens Bracket

#1 Chewie, we're home def.#16 Finn/Poe commit grand larceny, 96%-4%
#2 Luke's reveal def. #15 Who talks first? 86%-14%
#3 BEN! def. #14 C3PO/R2, 61%-39%
#4 It's all true def. Red Arm 83%-17%
#5 Rey calls the saber def. It's the Resistance! 66%-34%
#6 Kylo kills dad def. #11 Rey's visions 80%-20%
#7 Falcon reveal on Jakku def. #10 Kylo's laser blast stop, 59%-41%
#9 Han & Leia reunited def. Kylo talking shop with a helmet, 54%-46%

redline248
AG
Pretty chalky, so far
Ol Jock 99
AG
In
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Several close competitions today. really enjoying this so far, because I don't know what's going to win (other than TPM and probably AOTC), and there are so many great choices that I'm pretty much happy with any result.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Fun to vote on.
Drawkcab
What is this "BEN!" referring to? Been a while since I've seen TFA.
redline248
AG
When Han yells at him on the catwalk
TXAG 05
AG
Drawkcab said:

What is this "BEN!" referring to? Been a while since I've seen TFA.

Wasn't sure what that was either.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
redline248 said:

he did his little turn on the catwalk.
Micah97
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

redline248 said:

he did his little turn on the catwalk.

I know what you mean.
redline248
AG
I like to play that song when people are not expecting it and watch all the reactions.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Each movie is down to its final four.

Tuesday's Results

#1 Binary Sunset def. #9 Han Solo's "We're all fine here now, how are you?" 85%-15%
#2 The opening shot (Tantive V and Star Destroyer) def. #10 Our first look inside the Mos Eisley cantina 82%-18%
#3 Luke blows up the Death Star def. #6 Obi-Wan promises to become more powerful than Vader can possibly imagine 72%-28%
#5 Vader's "I find your lack of faith disturbing" Force choke def. #13 Vader waiting for Obi-Wan in the Death Star hallway 65%-35%

#1 Maul lights up the twin-blade/opening of the 2-on-1 duel def. #8 First look at the Jedi Council 94%-6%
#2 Obi-Wan Kenobi bisects Darth Maul def. #7 Qui-Gon melts the Trade Federation blast door 87%-13%
#3 Qui-Gon Jinn vs. Darth Maul in the desert def. #6 Opening shot of the pod race track 78%-22%
#4 Yoda's speech to Anakin about fear def. #5 Anakin Skywalker, meet Obi-Wan Kenobi 51%-49%

#1 Chewie, we're home def. #9 Han & Leia reunited 93%-7%
#2 The reveal of Luke Skywalker def. #7 Reveal of the Falcon on Jakku 65%-35%
#6 Kylo Ren murders Han Solo def. #3 BEN! 55%-45%
#4 The Force, the Jedi ... it's all true def. #5 Rey calls Luke's lightsaber to her 54%-46%

Today's Matchups - VOTE NOW

ANH

#1 Binary Sunset vs. #5 Vader's "I find your lack of faith disturbing" Force choke
#2 The opening shot (Tantive V and Star Destroyer) vs. #3 Luke blows up the Death Star

TPM

#1 Maul lights up the twin-blade/opening of the 2-on-1 duel vs.#4 Yoda's speech to Anakin about fear
#2 Obi-Wan Kenobi bisects Darth Maul vs.#3 Qui-Gon Jinn vs. Darth Maul in the desert

TFA

#1 Chewie, we're home vs. #4 The Force, the Jedi ... it's all true
#2 The reveal of Luke Skywalker vs. #6 Kylo Ren murders Han Solo

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
morning bump, 2 big-time battles going on, one in OT, one in TPM
PatAg
AG
I think a lot of the new trilogies lines/scenes would be more impactful if they didnt serve them up as trailer bait, thus robbing the scene of its emotional impact when you see the movie.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

#2 The opening shot (Tantive V and Star Destroyer) vs. #3 Luke blows up the Death Star
This one was incredibly difficult. I went with Luke blowing up the DS due to the amazing music that accompanies it.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
PatAg said:

I think a lot of the new trilogies lines/scenes would be more impactful if they didnt serve them up as trailer bait, thus robbing the scene of its emotional impact when you see the movie.
I think that's more a product of the Internet than the actual trailers. When a new blockbuster trailer drops now, it's broken down by 500 YouTubers and endlessly gif-ed in the first couple of hours
double aught
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

This one was incredibly difficult. I went with Luke blowing up the DS due to the amazing music that accompanies it.
I voted that way too, assuming it included Han's "Yee-hoo!", the falcon with the sun behind it, and "You're all clear kid! Now let's blow this thing and go home!"

Great stuff.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I imagine from "Yahoo!" to the DS blowing up must be right around 30 seconds.
FL_Ag1998
AG
double aught said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

I voted that way too, assuming it included Han's "Yee-hoo!", the falcon with the sun behind it, and "You're all clear kid! Now let's blow this thing and go home!"

Great stuff.

I voted the other way. As iconic as the Death Star blowup scene was in its euphoria, for me the opening shot of the rebel ship heading toward Tatooine and then suddenly you see what its running from - that huuuuge star destroyer taking up the whole screen - just immediately set a tone of "Oh *****" for me the first time I saw it. Blowing up the Death was inevitable, you saw it coming. But that Star Destroyer right off the bat!? Man, there could not be a more perfect opening to the most iconic movie of all time.

Just my opinion.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
double aught said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

Great stuff.
Well you're both wrong, lol, Han's moment was another entry, but hey, you're the judge here, think as you want :0

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Don't forget to tune in Saturday for the start of the Episodes II, V, and VIII brackets. And there's no truth to the rumor that "when the credits rolled" is a candidate for II and VIII.
double aught
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

double aught said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

Great stuff.

I voted the other way. As iconic as the Death Star blowup scene was in its euphoria, for me the opening shot of the rebel ship heading toward Tatooine and then suddenly you see what its running from - that huuuuge star destroyer taking up the whole screen - just immediately set a tone of "Oh *****" for me the first time I saw it. Blowing up the Death was inevitable, you saw it coming. But that Star Destroyer right off the bat!? Man, there could not be a more perfect opening to the most iconic movie of all time.

Just my opinion.
We're both right.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.