***** MAY THE 4TH BE WITH YOU STAR WARS BEST MOMENTS MEGA-TOURNAMENT *****

18,116 Views | 258 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
We have our first three finals, and by proxy our first six automatic entries into the mega-tournament. Voting percentages will determine the overall seeding as well as what non-top 2 entries make it as wild cards.

Wednesday's results:

#1 Binary Sunset def. #5 Vader's "I find your lack of faith disturbing" Force choke 70%-30%
#3 Luke blows up the Death Star def. #2 The opening shot (Tantive V and Star Destroyer 54%-46%

#1 Maul lights up the twin-blade/opening of the 2-on-1 duel def. #4 Yoda's speech to Anakin about fear 89%-11%
#2 Obi-Wan Kenobi bisects Darth Maul def. #3 Qui-Gon Jinn vs. Darth Maul in the desert 79%-21%

#1 Chewie, we're home def. #4 The Force, the Jedi ... it's all true 79%-21%
#2 The reveal of Luke Skywalker def. #6 Kylo Ren murders Han Solo 55%-45%

The first three finals are next. VOTE!

ANH

#1 Binary Sunset

vs.

#3 Luke blows up the Death Star

TPM

#1 Maul lights up the twin-blade/opening of the 2-on-1 duel

vs.

#2 Obi-Wan Kenobi bisects Darth Maul

TFA

#1 Chewie, we're home

vs.

#2 The reveal of Luke Skywalker
redline248
AG
Am I the only one that wonders how Maul could take on 2 Jedi and then fail to even get his saber up in time to block Kenobi's attack?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
His overconfidence was his weakness.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
The brackets for AOTC, ESB and TLJ will be online tonight. ESB has bout 10 different things that could be the #1 seed.
rhutton125
AG
Am I the only one that thinks that Maul getting bisected isn't a great moment? I probably wouldn't have put it anywhere in the top-8. But then again... I hate that movie.

Just curious what people think about it. Is it the brutal finish / revenge for killing Qui-Gon?
Chipotlemonger
AG
I preferred the whole segment leading up to it. The kind of timing chase through those force shields that forces Obi-Wan and Qui Gon to be separated.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
If you hate the movie, it seems like your opinion is going to be pretty skewed anyways.

Darth Maul looks unstoppable for most of the movie. He's all over QGJ in the desert fight, he is constantly driving them both back in the Theed fight. Actually I kinda prefer the moment where Obi-Wan slices the twin saber in half, but's like 1-1/2 seconds.

In a normal movie, Qui-Gon would have magically come back to life and killed Maul before dying. This one shows Obi-Wan elevate from rookie to veteran and become an instant Jedi legend by being the first guy in 1,000 years to kill a Sith. From my recollection in the theater, the big "WOW" moment was the reaction everyone had when they see Maul's body split in two as he falls.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm just surprised that Obi-Wan vs Maul (right after the doors re-open) didn't go farther here. (Was it one of the nominees?) That little section of the fight is probably the best dueling in the whole saga.

Though admittedly, it's hard to compete with this:

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I didn't choose snippets of fights because a) it'd be really hard to describe in this format and b) it takes away from what i consider the definition of a moment. Saying - the time between when the energy doors open and when Maul and Obi-Wan spin apart is hard to quantify. Obi-wan dicing Maul or Maul lighting it up are definable images that you can see in your head.
Bruce Almighty
AG
The killing of Darth Maul was freaking stupid. He was such a badass awesome character that seemed unstoppable and then just stands there dumbfounded as Obi-Wan slices him in half. It reminded me of a wrestling match where one dude is beating the crap out of the other dude and then forgets how to block a punch.
redline248
AG
In my mind, I actually justify it as Maul not being aware Obi-Wan has the lightsaber and that the flip-land-slice move all happen simultaneously. For movie purposes they break the action a little for the camera to capture. Similar to Luke catching his lightsaber and pausing to stare at it for a moment before going on the attack above the Sarlaac.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I don't have a problem with it, but I do agree that the way they filmed it, Maul just "stands there" just a little too long. It would have made a huge difference if the slice happened as Obi-Wan was on the way up instead of after landing, making it way more of a surprise to Maul. He would've been cut in half before even realizing what happened.

Also, unrelated, but I always thought that would've been an awesome callback if Obi-Wan pulled the exact same move on Grievous when he was hanging off that balcony.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Our first champions:
Binary Sunset def. Luke blows up the Death Star 52.4%-47.6%

Maul lights it up def. Obi-Wan lights up Maul 83.3%-16.7%

Chewie we're home def. Luke's reveal 75.6%-24.4%

Second three brackets will be up after while.
redline248
AG
So binary sunset has won 2 separate brackets?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
The voting for Episodes 2, 5, and 8 is now live.

VOTE!

I found this extremely difficult to seed, especially Empire. The other two were not much easier. I had to leave one of my favorite moments of AOTC out altogether.
Chipotlemonger
AG
What moment in AOTC?
Ol Jock 99
AG
I'm confused....where's Rose?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

What moment in AOTC?
Palpatine telling Anakin he sees him becoming the greatest Jedi of all, even more powerful than Yoda.
Chipotlemonger
AG
That's a good one. Isn't that kind of where their Sith relationship starts?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Our first champions:
Binary Sunset def. Luke blows up the Death Star 52.4%-47.6%

Maul lights it up def. Obi-Wan lights up Maul 83.3%-16.7%

Chewie we're home def. Luke's reveal 75.6%-24.4%

Second three brackets will be up after while.

These were the three I had in mind before we started, except for Luke reveal. I had thay at #1.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Jango's seismic charges. So good.

Ben Burtt is goat tier.
bluefire579
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I don't have a problem with it, but I do agree that the way they filmed it, Maul just "stands there" just a little too long. It would have made a huge difference if the slice happened as Obi-Wan was on the way up instead of after landing, making it way more of a surprise to Maul. He would've been cut in half before even realizing what happened.

Also, unrelated, but I always thought that would've been an awesome callback if Obi-Wan pulled the exact same move on Grievous when he was hanging off that balcony.
I wonder if it was easier from a technical standpoint to do the land and slice. Definitely would have been cooler if it had been on the way up.

For the Grievous fight, though, would have had to change the entire dynamic, considering he lost his lightsaber while chasing him.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Very little drama on the first day of the 2-5-8 tournaments. The #8 seeds for ESB and AOTC won by 1 vote. Hopefully the next round of matchups will heat things up a bit.

VOTE HERE!

ESB Results
#1 Vader tells Luke who his daddy is vs. #16 Falcon floats away/ Slave I pursues 100%-0%
#2 Yoda lifts Luke's X-wing vs. #15 Leia calls Han a nerfherder 95%-5%
#3 The Force is with you, young Skywalker vs. #14 Ozzel Force Choked via Facetime 78%-22%
#4 I Love You, I Know vs. #13 Yoda's Identity Revealed 76%-24%
#5 Luke calls to Leia through the Force vs. #12 Bounty hunters revealed 83%-17%
#6 Luke kills Cave Vader, sees himself vs. #11 The Emperor via Hologram 78%-22%
#7 Enter the AT-ATs vs. #10 Obi-Wan's ghost appears to Luke 76%-24%
#8 Falcon's flight through the Asteroid field vs. #9 We Would Honored if You Would Join Us 51%-49%

AOTC Results
#1 Yoda lights it up vs. #16 Palpatine's speech on loving democracy 98%-2%
#2 Anakin goes dark side rage on the Sand People vs. #15 Obi-Wan Kenobi kills the Acklay 81%-19%
#3 Yoda vs. Dooku with Force Powers vs. #14 Battle Droids surround the Jedi 88%-12%
#4 Palpatine watches the Clone Army leaving Coruscant vs. #13 Padme loves Ani/entrance to the Geonosian arena 81%-19%
#5 Mace Windu decapitates Jango Fett vs. #12 Yoda and the Clones to the rescue 71%-29%
#6 Obi-Wan catches Dooku's lightning with his lightsaber vs. #11 Anakin searching for his mom on the speeder (DOTF) 83%-17%
#7 Anakin with 2 sabers vs. Dooku vs. #10 Obi-Wan/Jango start of the fight - lightsaber vs. blasters 73%-27%
#8 Slave I's seismic charges vs. #9 Count Dooku tempts Obi-Wan to destroy the Sith 51%-49%

TLJ Bracket
#1 Kylo guts Snoke/Rey grabs saber vs. #16 Paige Tico takes out the Dreadnought 90%-10%
#2 Luke's grand illusion revealed vs. #15 Luke reconnects to the Force, reaches out to Leia 83%-17%
#3 Luke/Leia reunion vs. #14 Leia slaps Poe - get your head outta your cockpit! 95%-5%
#4 R2-D2 suckers Luke with the Leia hologram vs. #13 Rey lifting rocks to save everybody 78%-22%
#5 Luke walks out with his laser sword to take on the whole First Order vs. #12 The Holdo Maneuver 76%-24%
#6 Rey throws saber to Kylo to kill final red guard vs. #11 Luke invokes Darth Sidious's name while teaching Rey 81%-19%
#7 Yoda's Force ghost appears vs. #10 The real version of the Kylo/Luke flashback 83%-17%
#8 Chewie busts down the door/Where's Han? vs. #9 Kylo won't fire on Princess Leia's command center 66%-34%

Second Round Matchups

ESB
#1 Vader tells Luke who his daddy is vs. #8 Falcon's flight through the Asteroid field
#2 Yoda lifts Luke's X-wing vs.#7 Enter the AT-ATs
#3 The Force is with you, young Skywalker vs. #6 Luke kills Cave Vader, sees himself
#4 I Love You, I Know vs.#5 Luke calls to Leia through the Force

AOTC
#1 Yoda lights it up vs. #8 Slave I's seismic charges
#2 Anakin goes dark side rage on the Sand People vs.#7 Anakin with 2 sabers vs. Dooku
#3 Yoda vs. Dooku with Force Powers vs.#6 Obi-Wan catches Dooku's lightning with his lightsaber
#4 Palpatine watches the Clone Army leaving Coruscant vs.#5 Mace Windu decapitates Jango Fett

TLJ
#1 Kylo guts Snoke/Rey grabs saber vs.#8 Chewie busts down the door/Where's Han?
#2 Luke's grand illusion revealed vs.#7 Yoda's Force ghost appears
#3 Luke/Leia reunion vs.#6 Rey throws saber to Kylo to kill final red guard
#4 R2-D2 suckers Luke with the Leia hologram vs.#5 Luke walks out with his laser sword to take on the whole First Order

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Honestly the Holdo maneuver should be moving on. Way underseeded.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I voted for a lot of lower seeds in this round.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

I voted for a lot of lower seeds in this round.
I think at least 4 lower seeds are winning as of this morning.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Well the second round was upset town for the 2-5-8 combo of Star Wars Moments, a #2, #3, and two #4s were sent packing.

ESB
#1 Vader tells Luke who his daddy is vs. #8 Falcon's flight through the Asteroid field , 92%-8%
#2 Yoda lifts Luke's X-wing vs.#7 Enter the AT-ATs 73%-27%
#3 The Force is with you, young Skywalker vs. #6 Luke kills Cave Vader, sees himself 73%-27%
#4 I Love You, I Know vs.#5 Luke calls to Leia through the Force 81%-19%

AOTC
#1 Yoda lights it up vs. #8 Slave I's seismic charges 89%-11%
#2 Anakin goes dark side rage on the Sand People vs.#7 Anakin with 2 sabers vs. Dooku 31%-69%
#3 Yoda vs. Dooku with Force Powers vs.#6 Obi-Wan catches Dooku's lightning with his lightsaber 77%-23%
#4 Palpatine watches the Clone Army leaving Coruscant vs.#5 Mace Windu decapitates Jango Fett 42%-58%

TLJ
#1 Kylo guts Snoke/Rey grabs saber vs.#8 Chewie busts down the door/Where's Han? 80%-20%
#2 Luke's grand illusion revealed vs.#7 Yoda's Force ghost appears 76%-24%
#3 Luke/Leia reunion vs.#6 Rey throws saber to Kylo to kill final red guard 44%-56%
#4 R2-D2 suckers Luke with the Leia hologram vs.#5 Luke walks out with his laser sword to take on the whole First Order 31%-69%

Round 3 Matchups - VOTE NOW!

ESB
#1 Vader tells Luke who his daddy is vs. #4 I Love You, I Know

#2 Yoda lifts Luke's X-wing vs #3 The Force is with you, young Skywalker

AOTC
#1 Yoda lights it up vs. #5 Mace Windu decapitates Jango Fett

#3 Yoda vs. Dooku with Force Powers vs.#7 Anakin with 2 sabers vs. Dooku

TLJ
#1 Kylo guts Snoke/Rey grabs saber vs . #5 Luke walks out with his laser sword to take on the whole First Order.

#2 Luke's grand illusion revealed vs.#6 Rey throws saber to Kylo to kill final red guard

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
To be clear, I am voting for the wide shot of Luke standing against the row of AT-AT's. Not for that stupid "dusting off" thing he did.
jokershady
AG
Someone call me when the Rogue One braket starts
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

To be clear, I am voting for the wide shot of Luke standing against the row of AT-AT's. Not for that stupid "dusting off" thing he did.

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Gentlemen, we have our 2-5-8 finals and the next 6 automatic bids into the mega-tournament.
Four blowouts and two nailbiters paved the way.

Results
#1 Vader tells Luke who his daddy is vs. #4 I Love You, I Know 86%-14%
#2 Yoda lifts Luke's X-wing vs. #3 The Force is with you, young Skywalker 65%-35%

#1 Yoda lights it up vs. #5 Mace Windu decapitates Jango Fett 75%-25%
#3 Yoda vs. Dooku with Force Powers vs.#7 Anakin with 2 sabers vs. Dooku 54%-46%

#1 Kylo guts Snoke/Rey grabs saber vs. #5 Luke walks out with his laser sword to take on the whole First Order 46%-54%
#2 Luke's grand illusion revealed vs. #6 Rey throws saber to Kylo to kill final red guard 82%-18%

The Finals - VOTE NOW

#1 Vader tells Luke who his daddy is vs.#2 Yoda lifts Luke's X-wing

#1 Yoda lights it up vs. #3 Yoda vs. Dooku with Force Powers

#2 Luke's grand illusion revealed vs. #5 Luke walks out with his laser sword to take on the whole First Order

Episodes III, VI, and IX will kick off Monday night.

After that, Rogue One and Solo, then the toons and Mando

PatAg
AG
Feel like you could have the top 20 moments of ESB beat any top moment from these other two movies.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
that's why there's wild cards in the mega tournament.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
The 3 new champions

Empire Strikes Back
#1 Vader's "I am Your Father" def. Yoda lifts Luke's X-Wing 90%-10%

Attack of the Clones
#1 Yoda lights it up def. #3 Yoda vs. Dooku with Force Powers 77%-23%

The Last Jedi
#5 Luke walks out with his laser sword to take on the whole First Order def. #2 Luke's grand illusion revealed 72%-28%

Brackets for 3-6-9 probably around midnight. Thanks for voting!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.