**** THE UNOFFICIAL SOCIAL DISTANCING 1980s BEST MOVIE TOURNAMENT OF CHAMPIONS ****

30,392 Views | 500 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
Urban Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

In no order:

• Ewoks.
  • Luke's "plan" to save Han makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
  • Han was completely neutered in this movie. Doesn't even feel like the same character.
  • Boba Fett's ****ty cartoon death.
  • The entire forest battle on Endor.
  • Palpatine's death. (I've always found it anti-climactic, but now it looks amazing next to TROS.)
  • Ewoks.
  • Did I mention Ewoks?

Special note: Yub Nub is absolute trash, but I don't list it because I don't ever watch that version. One of the most anti-climactic and odd musical choices to close one of the biggest franchises in the history of film. The SE music was a vast improvement.
Let me handle this guys, I can easily rebut this ridiculous criticism of the greatness that is Return of the Jedi.

Just give me a minute....

Standby.......hmmmm

<six hours later>

Zombie Jon Snow
AG

Quote:

Excellent. Here are a couple of BTTF questions I've always wondered about.

1. Why didn't Marty's parents realize that their son is a dead ringer for the mysterious Calvin Klein they knew for 1 week in 1955?

30 years later you expect exact recollection of a random face that they didn't have any pictures of. Might simply be by that time they think man he looks similar to that guy. But they've seen Marty grow from a kid that surely looked nothing like him and slowly evolve into that. It was a gradual change to them and probably just seems familiar now.

2. Why is a 17-year-old kid hanging out with a bizarre older dude on a daily basis when said kid appears to have zero interest in science throughout the rest of the movie? Was Marty filling some sort of "companion" role for Doc Brown?

He wasn't hanging around - he worked for him as more of a flunky. He fed his dog, ran errands, helped with setup, cleanup, etc. My daughter did similar for our neighbor that was a real estate agent but disorganized. She took care of the pets, ran his errands, did his mail, organized his files, and computer. But she has zero interest in real estate as a career. It was just something that she got $10/hour for and was easy.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG

By the way not that it matters but the banner at the top says the same thing in all 4 regions:

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Region

Fat Bib Fortuna
If it doesnt matter, why did you say it?
Fat Bib Fortuna
All im saying is that if your kid sees no red flags going to a closed down mall in the middle of the night because an older man tells him to and reminds him to bring the video camera, something smells funny.
ChipFTAC01
AG
80s/90s cartoon brackets have been set. Will post when this is over.
Fat Bib Fortuna
On Luke's plan, Jabba's palace is a fortress, so you're not shooting your way in and out. Luke sends 3 spies in to gather intel and smuggle a weapon in if he needs it. They report that everyone is drunk and sleeping at night. By then, jabba is ezpecting luke, so you send leia instead to try subterfuge instead of force. When that fails, luke has to play the ace up his sleeve which is himself. I doubt he could have known jabba would be resistant to the mind trick, so he has to improvise, with the overarching goal of getting him and r2 in the same space with enough room to move and doing some work.

Again im sure age when you saw the film is a factor but i remember the ewoks creative ways of taking out the at-sts with sheer glee all these years later. And vader attacking palpatine to save luke is my defining of not just the saga, but of everything star wars is. The redemption, everything else is a runnerup to that moment when vader decides and the music soars. I realize neither of us will ever convince the other but it is a lovely topic to discuss
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Be honest. You just needed the excuse to post these, right?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love Vader taking out Palpatine. It's what the entire saga builds to.

It's just the way that happens that always felt weird to me. The way Palpatine throws his hands up and looks all helpless as Vader picks him up, and then Vader dying from absorbing lightning for all of 5 seconds. Dunno, I just feel like it could have been done better. Like, these are the two baddest dudes in the galaxy, and they both kind of went out with a whimper.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

If it doesnt matter, why did you say it?
Same reason you replied.
redline248
AG
I mean, the Emperor was caught by complete surprise while all his focus was on killing Luke. Vader (Anakin) relied on a bunch of electrical wiring to stay alive. 5 seconds of force lightning is plenty to fry all that circuitry.
Fat Bib Fortuna
I think they established there, in ROTS and in TROS that palps gets pretty drunk on the dark side when really using it, and likely isnt really in control of himself. Vader had just got hiss ass kicked and his hand cut off. A suit that runs on electronics is keeping him alive. I doubt palpy put shock absorbers in that thing.
Fat Bib Fortuna
Youre an ******* too?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

All im saying is that if your kid sees no red flags going to a closed down mall in the middle of the night because an older man tells him to and reminds him to bring the video camera, something smells funny.
'twas a different time. Kids went everywhere unattended. And teens even moreso.
redline248
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

MuckRaker96 said:

'twas a different time. Kids went everywhere unattended. And teens even moreso.
..but with quack pot scientists?
Bruce Almighty
AG
That's the problem with sequels and better technology. Especially the Disney movies. The overpowered characters devalued the characters from the original movies.
Fat Bib Fortuna
I'm going to cap the Elite 8 at midnight tonight and run the Final 4 matchups Saturday and Sunday.

Presently one matchup is separated by 1 vote and another one by 5 so if you haven't voted, now would be the time.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdolFaJ_iwOXmrEidlzmUwaTkSSz_kPFtjd9h_2A2H7kSe_9w/viewform?usp=sf_link
Chipotlemonger
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

That's the problem with sequels and better technology. Especially the Disney movies. The overpowered characters devalued the characters from the original movies.

Yea it's hard to listen to Spilner split hairs on ROTJ when some of those same arguments he would be defending tooth and nail against on the prequels.
ApachePilot
AG
I love ROTJ but BTTF is hands down a better movie. So original. It's literally the best movie ever. I'm so disappointed in my fellow Aggies. You all let me down today.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I have never done that. I've only ever explained why I like them.
Fat Bib Fortuna
ApachePilot said:

I love ROTJ but BTTF is hands down a better movie. So original. It's literally the best movie ever. I'm so disappointed in my fellow Aggies. You all let me down today.
Is it figuratively the best movie ever?
ApachePilot
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

ApachePilot said:

Is it figuratively the best movie ever?

Figuratively. Spiritually. Emotionally. Factually. All the words ending in ly
Claude!
ApachePilot said:

You've obviously never seen a little film called Highlander.
Fat Bib Fortuna
The Final Four is here! Voting will remain open until 12:00 a.m. Monday and then the final will start.

VOTE HERE!

Semifinal #1

VS.

Semifinal #2

VS.

VS.

Elite 8 Results!

#1 The Empire Strikes Back 87%, #2 Return of the Jedi 13%
#2 Raiders of the Lost Ark 65%, #4 Die Hard 35%
#2 Ghostbusters 56%, #4 Ferris Bueller's Day Off 44%
#3 The Karate Kid 53%, #5 Field of Dreams 47%

Urban Ag
AG
My two favorite movies of all time with my favorite actor of all time, going head to head, it's inevitable.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Elite 8 Results!

Interesting. May not agree with all results throughout or even in that Elite Eight round but those are 4 pretty huge 80s iconic franchises that all generated lots of toys, merch, well known characters, catch phrases, etc.

YouBet
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

MuckRaker96 said:

Elite 8 Results!

Interesting. May not agree with all results throughout or even in that Elite Eight round but those are 4 pretty huge 80s iconic franchises that all generated lots of toys, merch, well known characters, catch phrases, etc.

Yes, but I think Field of Dreams making the elite 8 is dumb. You run this exercise across multiple audiences and 9 out of 10 times it doesn't get this far. But whatevs!
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Urban Ag said:

My two favorite movies of all time with my favorite actor of all time, going head to head, it's inevitable.

My favorite two movies as well, and this match is inevitable.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Given the love for Karate Kid, just want to highly recommend Cobra Kai. One of the few good reboots.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Given the love for Karate Kid, just want to highly recommend Cobra Kai. One of the few good reboots.

^THIS

Do the free trial on YT premium and binge the 2 seasons. 10 episodes each and only 30 minutes-ish.

Season 1 was a genuine refreshing nostalgic look back, but with a twist on what we all thought of the original. And it had something new to say and took the characters to new places. Season 2 went a little over the top in places but it went deeper into characters and let them grow in sometimes positive and sometimes negative ways. Always with a great comedic touch and nostalgic 80s vibe particularly Johny who seems stuck in time and bewildered by the world around him.

Highly recommended.
ApachePilot
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Johnny is still the best!!!
Fat Bib Fortuna
YouBet said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

MuckRaker96 said:

Elite 8 Results!

Yes, but I think Field of Dreams making the elite 8 is dumb. You run this exercise across multiple audiences and 9 out of 10 times it doesn't get this far. But whatevs!
You have truly mastered the backhanded compliment.
Bruce Almighty
AG
YouBet said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

MuckRaker96 said:

Elite 8 Results!

And just like the basketball tourney, how far most teams go has to do with matchups. Field of Dreams making it to the final 8 doesn't means it's in the top 8, it just means we liked it better than the movies it went up against.
The Debt
Zombie Jon Snow said:

MuckRaker96 said:

Elite 8 Results!

Popularity contests. What did you expect?
Fat Bib Fortuna
Well between 3 a.m. and 10 a.m. someone voted for Karate Kid and Ghostbusters 59 straight times, so the voting is now locked. The championship between Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Empire Strikes back will commence tomorrow morning.

Thanks for being an anonymous ****** bag.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.