***** El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie SPOILERS THREAD *****

22,194 Views | 178 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by dcAg
Texaggie7nine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

What a complete waste of time. What really ruined it was Jessie blowing out the lighter when he found the flashlight while searching Todd's apartment. I mean, how stupid is that? I quit watching at that point.

Honestly, who blows out a lighter??
7nine
Texaggie7nine
The movie was fun being back in the universe. I appreciated it, but it doesnt stand on it's own like someone said. It was a bit drawn out and felt like hardly anything happened.

Todd was hillarious though.
7nine
InternetFan02
AG
Loved it and it felt like 2 more standard episodes tacked on to a great finale. I'm glad they decided to do it and it was best to wait a few years

I would rather have fat Todd and fake bald Cranston than no cameos at all

It will be really jarring to future generations that binge the show plus movie straight through

I believe they had already done flashbacks in season 4-5 where it was obvious that jesse was much different looking so the premise was already established.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Belton Ag
AG
Quote:

Honestly, who blows out a lighter??

Not to risk going down one of these rabbit holes, but... If you leave a lighter burning for an extended period of time and you release the button, sometimes they will stay burning. Particularly if you've messed with the dial that adjusts the flame. That might not have even been intentional.
Bunk Moreland
1) Blowing out the lighter was a bit cheesy. But it wasn't a big deal

2) Being annoyed about him blowing the lighter to the point of even talking about it after finishing the movie is weird.

3) Trying to defend blowing out a lighter by saying sometimes it stays lit is just as weird.

Good lord the **** y'all latch on to when it comes to BB.

EDIT: Wow...having to make 4 edits for a post this simple is the dumbest thing of all
aTmAg
AG
I think the blowing out of the lighter is symbolic of the extinguishing of Jesse's previous life in that the iconicity of the purity of flame notates the substructure of critical thinking and makes resonant a participation in the critical dialogue of what meth does to our society.
TriumphForks
AG
I heard Vince Gilligan made some of the folks in the diner scene with WW sign NDAs so the word didn't get out.
chipotle
Ugh...the lighter...fat todd. It's all too much.
aTmAg
AG
TriumphForks said:

I heard Vince Gilligan made some of the folks in the diner scene with WW sign NDAs so the word didn't get out.
As he should.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Damn, I'm gonna have to quit fishing since I've bagged my limit.
P.C. Principal
This thread is full of a bunch of nitpicky whiners. El Camino wasn't perfect but it was very enjoyable and it was great to be back in the BB universe.
Complete Idiot
P.C. Principal said:

This thread is full of a bunch of nitpicky whiners. El Camino wasn't perfect but it was very enjoyable and it was great to be back in the BB universe.
Commercial truck driver passed a vehicle in a clearly marked no passing zone on a two lane road. Truck drifter to center line, truck was in the desert and completely shiny and clean. Then car driver pantomimes "honk your horn" and movie creators suggest this was ad libbed, set up a whole truck passing scene but that was ad libbed. Really, I don't know where to begin but if you can suspend disbelief in such an extreme manner then good for you.
Tobias Funke
AG
aTmAg said:

I think the blowing out of the lighter is symbolic of the extinguishing of Jesse's previous life in that the iconicity of the purity of flame notates the substructure of critical thinking and makes resonant a participation in the critical dialogue of what meth does to our society.

This would have been funnier if not posted by precisely the one person I would have expected to genuinely make a huge deal out of the lighter
aTmAg
AG
Tobias Funke said:

aTmAg said:

This would have been funnier if not posted by precisely the one person I would have expected to genuinely make a huge deal out of the lighter
Sorry to disappoint. I don't care about the lighter at all and thought the movie was great.
hurleyag
AG
oragator said:

There were some really cool Easter eggs, like the tarantula Todd took from the kid he killed,

Nice catch. I didnt even think of that!
Know Your Enemy
AG
hurleyag said:

oragator said:

There were some really cool Easter eggs, like the tarantula Todd took from the kid he killed,

Nice catch. I didnt even think of that!
I swear some of you must have horrible memories or no attention span.
T Durden
AG
Junkhead said:

One thing I haven't figured out yet is how the welders had a key to Jesse's apartment and knew to go looking for the money. The second part is easier to explain, I guess. Jesse always tended to have diarrhea of the mouth. He liked to give out way too much information on everything.

Haha, I swear y'all. No attention span at all.
combat wombat™
AG
Quote:

Commercial truck driver passed a vehicle in a clearly marked no passing zone on a two lane road.

Really? You think they don't?

I enjoyed it. I really liked Skinny Pete and Badger a whole lot more for their "sensitive" and loyal support of their friend, who was obviously messed up by his experience.

I freakin' HATED Jane.
Complete Idiot
combat wombat said:

Quote:

Commercial truck driver passed a vehicle in a clearly marked no passing zone on a two lane road.

Really? You think they don't?

oragator
That's a bit unfair.
If other are like me, I haven't watched or thought about that show in five years or more, and only watched it through once. Tough to remember smaller details from all 62 episodes 5 or more years ago. Especially when I have probably watched 20 other full series since then. It wasn't even that I remembered it in posting it here, but it was clear it was important so I checked the Easter eggs after I watched (which I always do for Gilligan stuff anyway).
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Buck Turgidson
I hated that freaking Dr Hook song when it was new. Now I get to have it stuck in my head decades later.
Texaggie7nine
Ahh yeaaaah
Awwww riiiigght.
Tobias Funke
AG
Watched this for a second time today (first time in the theater, this time on my phone) and enjoyed it just as much. It's really well done and hits the right notes of tension, emotion, and nostalgia.
Ag 11
AG
CoachRTM
AG
Was finally able to watch El Camino.

After re-watching Breaking Bad over the past month or two, and then diving right into El Camino.... the aging of the actors was very noticeable. Fat Todd was the most glaring, but Aaron Paul has gained weight too (not in a bad way, he's just no longer a skinny teenager) Badger seemed much healthier. Mike looked better than I thought he would..... they are all just 6 years older when the finale aired, and 6 years is enough time for almost anyone to look different.

Once I got beyond that, it was an enjoyable movie that helps finish Jessie's story. Wasn't 100% necessary but I'm glad they did it.

The cleaner guy kind of came off like a **** when Jesse was able to fork over $248,200 of the $250,000 and it still wasn't enough.
mazzag
AG
My opinion of the vacuum guy is that by going soft on Jessie, he hurts his own reputation. Also he'd be taking every last dime from Jessie. That probably makes starting a new life harder and Jessie more likely to return to NM. He helped Jessie by being a hard ass.
Tobias Funke
AG
I'd say it's less about reputation and more about just being incredibly principled in how he conducts business. Can't cut even the smallest corner when running such a dangerous operation.
Ag_07
AG
I watched it last night after finishing up a 2 week binge of BB.

I thought it was meh. Not bad but pretty underwhelmed.

With the exception of just a couple scenes it was pretty slow and boring, the explosion at Kandy seemed kinda weak on the CGI, and Todd ended up stealing the show. Not him being fat but there was a lot of him and to me it turned into a movie about Todd.

Another thing that didn't really bother me but I was surprised it was overlooked was Jesse carrying weight. To me if he was being held captive in a dungeon he'd be super skinny and emaciated.

Overall I was expecting more and feel like the only thing I got out of it was where Jesse ends up. At the end of BB we knew he got away now we just know where he got away to.
Old Tom Morris
It's a netflix movie. I don't think anyone was expecting Aaron Paul to go all Dallas Buyers Club or Joker for this one.
Texaggie7nine
I'll admit my disappointment was from letting my imagination get the best of me and imagining Jessie goes out and starts cooking again and gets caught up in new adventures and building an empire. I don't know why I thought that. I figured, if you are going to make a movie from BB, then you go all out and make a bad ass story.
7nine
CrottyKid
AG
That story would take 3 seasons worth of 1 hour episodes to tell.
Old Tom Morris
CrottyKid
AG
About fat Todd:

So the actor gets the call from Gilligan. He says, "Would you like to reprise the role of Todd."

The actor thinks, "Man, this would be great for my career, but I kind of retired. I mean, I got really fat. Everyone is going to comment on just how fat I've become."

How much money do you think would make him overcome that idea and just do the movie fat and ignore the haters?

"For x bucks, I can take fat jokes from literally everyone on planet earth."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.