***** El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie SPOILERS THREAD *****

21,754 Views | 178 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by dcAg
GoAgs92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Robert Forrester just died, great character actor.

Was great in BB and Jackie Brown
jtmoney03
AG
BB is in my top 3 shows of all time, so I really enjoyed it and the closure on Jesse. There's a piece of me that isn't quite sure it was what I wanted, but I also don't know exactly what I was expecting. I just binged the whole series again over the last few weeks in preparation, so I think I wanted a little more. But again, I don't think I can articulate what it is. I just know that the series itself was so incredible, I feel like there was something missing. I'll give it a rewatch over the weekend and see if I can pinpoint where it may have fallen a little short for me.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
He's just on a trip to Belize.
GoAgs92
AG
Movie was pretty good

Hard to live up to BB though.
AgsWin2011
AG
Watched it. Liked it but was also left wanting more. I didn't realize half the movie would be flashbacks, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Was hoping for a little more action, and maybe a flashback with Hank and Gus. Hell I would have also like to have seen if anything happened with Skylar, Flynn, and Holli. Wish they would have at least showed what it was like when they showed up at Skinny Pete's house.

Nonetheless, bring on Better Call Saul. And maybe they'll come out with another BB movie.
Topher17
AG
Heismenberg said:

Watched it. Liked it but was also left wanting more. I didn't realize half the movie would be flashbacks, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Was hoping for a little more action, and maybe a flashback with Hank and Gus. Hell I would have also like to have seen if anything happened with Skylar, Flynn, and Holli. Wish they would have at least showed what it was like when they showed up at Skinny Pete's house.

Nonetheless, bring on Better Call Saul. And maybe they'll come out with another BB movie.

I think they did a good job of using flashbacks/cameos to advance the story and add more depth to Jesse's character, rather than just throwing in every main character from the show. I'm not sure I can think of any part of Jesse's relationship with the characters you mentioned that would have any place in the story that unfolded.
Also have to remember this is set right after S5E16, in which we saw Skyler and Flynn and what happened with them to that point.
Kellso
Heismenberg said:

These echo my thoughts.

I liked the movie....I just wanted more.

Maybe when BCS ends they can do another movie where we can see if Jesse returns to civilization and what happens to Walts family.
Dr.Ag04
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Walt's line "You didn't have to wait your whole life to do something special" was kind of heartbreaking.

Agreed. It almost felt like this was the whole point of the movie.
wreckncrew
AG
I loved the movie. I wish it was longer because it flew by to me. I wish there was a little more of Skinny Pete and Badger. They were phenomenal as usual.

Fat Todd was also disturbingly humorous especially when he was comforting Jesse. What a ******* but that was his character. And his singing was great.

Like another poster said, it's good to see Jesse's character getting closure. Now lets get Better Call Saul up and running again!!!
Know Your Enemy
AG
CrawfordAg said:

I ways call Todd "Fat Damon". Ever since he was in that episode of Black Mirror where I swore after the first watching it was Matt Damon on a carb diet.

We called him Meth Damon when he first appeared in BB.
CoolAggie
AG
Just finished watching. This movie was Gilligan's tip of the cap to all the loyal BB fans out there. Do I wish it could have covered more? Sure. It was a good closure for Jesse. Loved all the cameos, especially Jane, and the always superb cinematography.
Tobias Funke
AG
Todd's weight combined with the screentime he got seriously just about ruined this movie for me. I don't understand how that isn't easily fixable, with the amount of money somebody like Jesse Plemons has
Pro Ag
AG
I loved the car crusher guy doing a call back to "Magnets, *****es".

I really enjoyed it and would be okay with other stories from this universe. I am interested if there are any extras like Pete's interrogation or Badger hitchhiking back.

I am not surprised, but it was great that the Pete scene from the first trailer didn't have him wearing his hat since he had given it to Jesse.
GIF Reactor
AG
I thought it was a good movie. It felt a bit slow at first, but the last half hour really flew by. It didn't diminish the greatness of BB. Acting was great, cinematography was outstanding -- I especially liked when the fake cop welder found Jesse and the camera zoomed in on his gun out of the darkness. I found the flashbacks useful and necessary. I would have liked to see more Walt flashbacks. The scene in the diner was so great.
ORAggieFan
I really enjoyed it. Sepinwall has his usual great recap. https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-recaps/el-camino-breaking-bad-movie-recap-895354/
FightinTexasAg15
AG
I think my favorite part was fat meth damon unrolling the dead lady so he could get his belt and put it back on
Know Your Enemy
AG
Go for Joe
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
The tarantula was a nice touch to add to Todd's craziness too.

Really liked how we see Jesse has gotten so street smart and then the 911 call completely shatters it.

Need to rewatch, but was the news flash talking about the dead woman, was that Lydia?
Know Your Enemy
AG
Yes, that was obviously Lydia.

And remember Jesse was just fooled by the fake cops so that's on his mind. He's trying to be the smartest guy in the room like his old partner but he outsmarts himself this time.
Old Tom Morris
Very well done. Really, really enjoyed it.
GIF Reactor
AG
The music was great as well.
Old Tom Morris
Plemons put on weight for Black Mass and they wanted him to keep it for Fargo, and I don't think he's ever been able to take it off. Probably doesn't help that he's with Kirsten Dunst who has been somewhat outspoken about not being willing to lose weight. So I kind of feel bad for the guy. But everyone looked different. I didn't mind suspending some disbelief for that. It just comes with the territory of shooting something nearly 10 years later.
hurleyag
AG
Watched it last night. On the Todd weight, I thought it was only going to be a small cameo of him talking to Jesse in the cage since they were clearly staging the shot to have the bars hide the heft, but that theory got shattered pretty soon.
Mort Rainey
Am I the only one who didn't like this?

I didn't hate it and it certainly didn't take away from breaking bad in any way. But it just felt dull and pointless. It wasn't a seamless transition from breaking bad because of how the characters had aged. Todd looked absurd, Aaron Paul looks very different, and the flashback with Walt was ridiculous. Cranston was clearly wearing a bald cap and Paul looked nothing like season 2 Jesse. I understand the logistics behind all this, but it's just distracting.

Even the most exciting scene seemed out of character. Jesse Pinkman was an ordinary guy, someone adverse to violence against other people. And now suddenly he's Jesse James? Murdering two guys in duel?

I know I'll get killed for this and clearly I'm in the minority. But I just thought this was boring. It wasn't tense, it wasn't clever, it was just dull. Not even close to the level of Breaking Bad or BCS. Maybe my expectations were too high.
ORAggieFan
I thought it was exactly in line with BB and BCS. They had two hours. This was meant for a Jesse sendoff. Fat Todd and bald cap were annoying, but not too much to take away from it. Aaron Paul was great and it was in line with what we'd expect from Jesse as he changed. And loved seeing smart Skinny Pete.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I thought it was ok, boring during most of it. If this was a two episode storyline in Breaking Bad, they both would be bottom five of the entire series.
Old Tom Morris
I thought it was reasonably suspenseful between the cops tracking the car, busting into Todd's apt, the Kandy stuff, vacuum guy, etc. I think it probably suffers from viewer good old day syndrome. There were 62 episodes. They weren't all Face Off, etc.

As far as the bald cap goes, if Cranston had turned up actual bald in real life, then I'm guessing all the sleuths out there figure this project out in no time. It's amazing they kept it quiet. Necessary sacrifice for that, I guess.
PatAg
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

I thought it was ok, boring during most of it. If this was a two episode storyline in Breaking Bad, they both would be bottom five of the entire series.
nice opinion
PatAg
AG
Junkhead said:

Yes, that was obviously Lydia.

And remember Jesse was just fooled by the fake cops so that's on his mind. He's trying to be the smartest guy in the room like his old partner but he outsmarts himself this time.
Did he outsmart himself though? The guy obviously thought it would be enough to get Jesse to go away. Jesse ends making the deal after all and gets out of town safe.
Bruce Almighty
AG
PatAg said:

Bruce Almighty said:

nice opinion

Thanks?
CheeseSndwch
As long as we're nitpicking, was anyone else annoyed that the El Camino didn't have any frontend damage from Jesse ramming the gate?
JD Shellnut
AG
The elderly black lady in the vacuum shop was Florence from The Jefferson's.
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
CheeseSndwch said:

As long as we're nitpicking, was anyone else annoyed that the El Camino didn't have any frontend damage from Jesse ramming the gate?

No, because I watch a show for fun and entertainment and don't look for trivial IMDB minutiae to get annoyed with. Who does this, and why?
Kellso
Mabel Choate said:

Am I the only one who didn't like this?

I didn't hate it and it certainly didn't take away from breaking bad in any way. But it just felt dull and pointless. It wasn't a seamless transition from breaking bad because of how the characters had aged. Todd looked absurd, Aaron Paul looks very different, and the flashback with Walt was ridiculous. Cranston was clearly wearing a bald cap and Paul looked nothing like season 2 Jesse. I understand the logistics behind all this, but it's just distracting.

Even the most exciting scene seemed out of character. Jesse Pinkman was an ordinary guy, someone adverse to violence against other people. And now suddenly he's Jesse James? Murdering two guys in duel?

I know I'll get killed for this and clearly I'm in the minority. But I just thought this was boring. It wasn't tense, it wasn't clever, it was just dull. Not even close to the level of Breaking Bad or BCS. Maybe my expectations were too high.
Do you not remember Jesse in Mexico? When Jesse, Mike and Gus massacred the cartel?
Jesse is the guy that kills the cartel sniper when they are trying to escape from the house.

Jesse was generally not as violent as some of the other characters in BB.....but he did his dirt. I wasn't surprised at the duel scene at all.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Some people just have to be contrarian.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.