***** El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie SPOILERS THREAD *****

21,726 Views | 178 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by dcAg
elfurioso92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I liked it. It was good to see these characters again.
TXAG 05
AG
Just finished it, thought it was interesting, but nothing special. It was fun going back to that world, but didn't really add anything.
CW Griswold
In BB, Jesse killed people when he was desperate and murder was the only choice other than turning himself in (Gale, the last Salamanca, Todd).

Same deal in El Camino. He needed the money and murder was his only solution.
Mort Rainey
Junkhead said:

Some people just have to be contrarian.

Or, and I know this is hard for you to comprehend, some people just view things differently than you. God forbid anyone doesn't love a movie that you do
Know Your Enemy
AG
Mabel Choate said:

Junkhead said:

Or, and I know this is hard for you to comprehend, some people just view things differently than you. God forbid anyone doesn't love a movie that you do

Never said you or anyone has to love the movie but to get no enjoyment out of it all seems way over the top.
TXAGFAN
AG
I thought it was sorta boring. I was entertained, but many scenes dragged oon. This wasn't a theme of BB that I remember.
MBAR
AG
TXAGFAN said:

I thought it was sorta boring. I was entertained, but many scenes dragged oon. This wasn't a theme of BB that I remember.
Man, BB and BCS both have a strong history of being extremely subtle and slow so I think you probably just aren't remember correctly.
MBAR
AG
I thought it was a fine epilogue for Jesse. BB had possibly the best ending of any show I've loved so I was wary of them revisiting it. It was nice to see Jesse Pinkman again though. It wasn't amazing, but it was good.
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
TXAGFAN said:

Revisionist history. I'm sure there's a breakfast scene mashup out there somewhere from BB. And many other examples.
k20dub
AG
I wasn't too impressed either. It was kind of boring. Enjoyed being back in the BB universe, but was disappointed overall.
Txmoe
AG
Writing and cinematography were very Breaking Bad-esque, so that was good. Lots of good feels from nostalgia with certain cameos, awesome.

At the end, though, I was just left wondering, "What exactly was the point and why did we need it?"

...Unless it's setting up something else, like Skinny Pete, the Fixer.
True Anomaly
AG
Something I haven't seen mentioned yet is the introduction of a new character in the movie, and doing so with enough storytelling to make him a somewhat believable antagonist that you want Jesse to triumph over, which he does by killing him in the duel. Bonus that it was the antagonist from The Righteous Gemstones, but playing a more believable version of that character
Know Your Enemy
AG
It was done to show you what happened to Jesse after Felina. That was the only major question left hanging after BB ended. That's all, nothing more.

I get if people didn't love it like I did but I'm confused by how someone that loved BB was bored by this. It was just like the series. Lots of detailed, nuanced scenes along with some crazy excitement and an occasional laugh. Fat Damon and bald cap Walt distracted me briefly but I wasn't going to let it ruin the movie.
Know Your Enemy
AG
No lie, though. A Badger & Skinny Pete spin-off would be the tits.
M.C. Swag
AG
Thought it was pretty damn good! Aaron Paul crushed it (no shocker).

The worst thing about EC was that it ended and left me wanting more breaking bad!
Tobias Funke
AG
Junkhead said:

Church
cr0wbar
AG
Enjoyed it.

Vince Gilligan is a yacht rock fan. Hence the "Really Love to See you tonight" by England Dan and John Ford Coley and Dr Hooks song in the El Camino

Todd with the dark humor that Jesse Plemmons can pull off

Anyone notice the storefront "Twisters" in the beginning? That's a real restaurant in ABQ, and used as the Pollos Hermanos

Why was Jesse's jacket on fire at Kandys? I'll need to rewatch that

Fantastic pace. I love Vince
Old Tom Morris
The gun he fired was in his pocket and set his jacket on fire.
Liquid Wrench
Just saw this ad, what do yall think, should I go for it?

CW Griswold
Had an oh **** moment this morning when I watched BB Season 5 Episode 5 "Dead Freight" and realized the tarantula from El Camino was probably trapped by the kid that Todd killed.

Didn't put it together while watching El Camino.
Old Tom Morris
I made the connection, but I was also thinking the money was going to be found in the bottom of its cage. I was wrong in that one.
toucan82
Junkhead said:

Only if the first season is them trying to find Huell
Txmoe
AG
Junkhead said:

It was done to show you what happened to Jesse after Felina. That was the only major question left hanging after BB ended. That's all, nothing more.

I get if people didn't love it like I did but I'm confused by how someone that loved BB was bored by this. It was just like the series. Lots of detailed, nuanced scenes along with some crazy excitement and an occasional laugh. Fat Damon and bald cap Walt distracted me briefly but I wasn't going to let it ruin the movie.
If that's why it was made and people needed that kind of closure, then that's good to know. Personally, I was okay with the undefined ending for Jesse from Felina; he was finally free from the biker meth prison and from Walt, and that was all that mattered. Actually, I preferred that ending (along with whatever I added from my own imagination) to the actual one presented in El Camino.

While BB was definitely nuanced and filled with details and Easter eggs, it was a runaway freight train compared to the slow burn that Better Call Saul is. Breaking Bad had a lot more drama per episode and ended almost every week with a mini-cliffhanger. In terms of pacing, El Camino is much closer to BCS than BB and that may be why people are finding it slow.
Complete Idiot
I watched it last night, it was done well but had some issues that kept me from personally LOVING it - but I did really like it.

Having just finished a fast paced rewatch of Breaking Bad, all the characters were fresh in my mind. All the characters just seemed slightly - off. Don't know if was just me not able to get past the aging, or if so much time had passed the actors had somewhat lost the characters they had created and worked on. I think it was the latter but I'm open to having it just be my suspension of disbelief. It wasn't really the age or the weight to me, it was just the tone of their deliveries. Well done, but not seamless from how they did the characters in the prior series. With Jesse I could get a change, something grittier and lower key, due to the captivity and abuse. But it was a bit harder with the other characters - not that they had much screen time.

I thought the story itself was good, and fairly believable. I little heavy on the flashbacks but while BB followed Walt in his captivity of his own choice, we didnt see what was happening with Jesse. Saw some of that here and I think that helped with the overall closure. The money was fairly convenient but they couldn't help but give Jesse a happy, as happy as possible in the circumstances anyway, ending after the **** he took in BB.

Nice that they did it and did it well. While I was a bit underwhelmed it's hard to see how it could have gone any other way after 5/6 incredible seasons then such a long break before this.
jtmoney03
AG
Old Tom Morris said:

The gun he fired was in his pocket and set his jacket on fire.

Yep, and a call back to the machine gun Walt used in Felina, shot from the trunk through the side of the car.
Mort Rainey
Junkhead said:

Mabel Choate said:

Junkhead said:

Never said you or anyone has to love the movie but to get no enjoyment out of it all seems way over the top.

That's literally nothing more than a subjective opinion. By the same token, I could say that some people love to be sunshine pumpers and convinced themselves something was good just because they were excited for it and don't want to admit it was a letdown...
johnnyblaze36
AG
Junkhead said:

TY
I shazam'd that when it was playing and added it to a spotify playlist immediately. That was fantastic.
aggierogue
AG
Enjoyed it.
M.C. Swag
AG
My biggest pet peeve of criticism for this movie is whenever someone mentions "fan service."

In the Ringer's exit survey article, the third question asked was; "What was your least favorite part of the film?" the top response was:

Quote:

Some of the cameos - particularly Walt and Jane - could've been cut from El Camino and it would've barely hindered the experience. Their inclusion feels like it was a matter of both actors having open schedules/Vince Gilligan wringing the most possible fan service out of this thing.
Like, wgaf? If Vince Gilligan has the ability to film a single, 5 min scene with Bryan Cranston, you do it. What is the harm in that small bit of fan service? How is that something you thought, "yea, that was THE WORST."

The spinoffs and movie exist BECAUSE of the fans. I understand there's a line to everything, and that cutting those scenes from the movie wouldn't have really mattered (plot wise) but I could just as easily flip that around. What is the harm in including them? It took hardly any time and stayed true to the character's former selves. And in what other scenario would it ever be ok to give a little fan service if not in this "movie" event that was released over half a decade since the show ended?

rant over.

Bunk Moreland
Quote:

And I was a bit distracted by how much heavier Todd was too.
he's fat and happy banging Kirsten Dunst who looks way better at 37 than she did at 27.
Bunk Moreland
I liked it. Stands on its own. Solid A-
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Oh wow. Aaron Paul said in an interview (Collider) that the original cut was 3 hours. 1/3 of the movie was cut.

Now I kind of wish he released all of it as a miniseries. Though, I get that it probably wouldn't work that well since it's structured as a movie and not as a series. Maybe not enough plot in there for that.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Holy crap. I hope that version is eventually released.
Old Tom Morris
Quote:

Some of the cameos - particularly Walt and Jane - could've been cut from El Camino and it would've barely hindered the experience. Their inclusion feels like it was a matter of both actors having open schedules/Vince Gilligan wringing the most possible fan service out of this thing.
I thought the Walt scene was understated but fantastic. May have had the funniest moment of the entire movie regarding the GED/diploma. And a brief look into Walt's motivation for keeping going afterward. Fan service or not, that was all great.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Exactly. Maybe the best scene in the movie.

Edit: I will admit the bald cap is slightly distracting at first, but I got over that once they're in the diner.

And I don't blame them for that. They were never gonna shave his head if they wanted to keep this under wraps. I'll trade that for the surprise of him being in this.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.