Last book you read that you just couldn't put down?

14,699 Views | 145 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Johnny Danger
schmendeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I Am Mine said:

schmendeler said:

I Am Mine said:

So it was a 10 week wait for the ebook for Red Rising. I'm going on a cruise and looked for the hardback. Immeditelly available.

And what author quote is on the title? Scott Sigler. One of my favorite authors.

So it's his fault if I don't like it.
10 week wait for the ebook? how is that possible?
Library book. They have to buy each copy and you can't donate ebooks to librarys.
man just buy it! it's worth it to not have to schlep a hard back book (or multiple) around with you and have it all on one device.
Rudyjax
AG
schmendeler said:

I Am Mine said:

schmendeler said:

I Am Mine said:

So it was a 10 week wait for the ebook for Red Rising. I'm going on a cruise and looked for the hardback. Immeditelly available.

And what author quote is on the title? Scott Sigler. One of my favorite authors.

Library book. They have to buy each copy and you can't donate ebooks to librarys.
man just buy it! it's worth it to not have to schlep a hard back book (or multiple) around with you and have it all on one device.
It's ok. This is for balcony and poolside reading. Not always good to read ebooks outside.

And no, not going to buy a book unless I know I'm going to like it. I stop reading 90% of the books I start.
BizAg13
I'm reading this right now, about 30% of the way through, and it just has not really done anything for me so far. I'll continue on but hoping it finds a way to capture my interest more.
PatAg
AG
Every book Sanderson writes is on this list for me
herbie
S
Voyager. One of the Outlander series books.
bonfarr
AG
The Road, Cormac McCarthy.

I did have to put it down a few times though because my heart was racing so fast, there are some emotionally intense moments throughout.
KidDoc
AG
I Am Mine said:

schmendeler said:

I Am Mine said:

schmendeler said:

I Am Mine said:

It's ok. This is for balcony and poolside reading. Not always good to read ebooks outside.

And no, not going to buy a book unless I know I'm going to like it. I stop reading 90% of the books I start.
I specifically bought a Kindle Oasis so I can read digital outside & in the pool. Love it!

For the topic for me it would be pretty much ones already mentioned:
Sanderson books- most of them, most recently was the sci - fi one Stargazer?
WoT- first few were page turners for me then dropped off
RPO- I'm a child of the 80's who loved D&D, Rush, video games-- it was written for me
Brown's Red Rising was gripping for me as well

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas said:

A little info on each would help - fiction? - subject matter - brief description !
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
Frozen Concoction
bobinator said:

I actually had to take some breaks in the Three Body Trilogy to process what I just read, haha. Those books gave me weird dreams, but truly amazing storytelling.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I had to put them aside several times so that I could catch up on sleep. Starting with the second book I would wake up in the middle of the night and remain awake for hours.
07ag
AG
Frozen Concoction said:

bobinator said:

I actually had to take some breaks in the Three Body Trilogy to process what I just read, haha. Those books gave me weird dreams, but truly amazing storytelling.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I had to put them aside several times so that I could catch up on sleep. Starting with the second book I would wake up in the middle of the night and remain awake for hours.

came here to say 3 body problem trilogy
https://ts.la/eric59704
Liquid Wrench
The High Window, Raymond Chandler
Coog97
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

It's been a while.
Txmoe
AG
Three pages in the thread already and no one has mentioned Devil in the White City? Still my all-time favorite book I couldn't put down. Also, The Firm (as someone previously mentioned) was a real page turner.

I'm a big fan of Michael Connelly's Bosch series and those are pretty hard to put down.
jeffk
AG
Devil in the White City was excellent. Dead Wake was another Larson book I loved. (About the Lusitania and the uboat that dunk her.)
Diggity
AG
That one was alright but I didn't think it was a big page turner.
PacifistAg
AG
Three Body Problem trilogy

Glad I'm not the only one. Really hope the rumors of Amazon turning it into a 3-season series are true.
07ag
AG
PacifistAg said:

Three Body Problem trilogy

Glad I'm not the only one. Really hope the rumors of Amazon turning it into a 3-season series are true.
hadn't heard that rumor but that would be epic, do you have a link/source for it? paging tctts for any inside info!
PacifistAg
AG
https://uproxx.com/tv/amazon-three-body-problem-billion-dollars/

Quote:

Amazon wants to turn Cixin's work into a television show, but there's one issue: the rights belong to China's YooZoo Pictures, and they've been trying to make a Three-Body Problem movie since 2014. According to The Financial Times, Amazon will likely have to pony up $1 billion "to acquire the rights and to produce three seasons of episodes." If anyone can afford that, it's this guy.

Will it happen? I'm not going to hold my breath, but at least it's on their radar. The pricetag is steep though. I'm confident that if Amazon does this, it'll be phenomenal.
Diggity
AG
Amazon ain't paying no billion dollars for that series.
CrottyKid
AG
Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.
07ag
AG
PacifistAg said:

https://uproxx.com/tv/amazon-three-body-problem-billion-dollars/

Quote:

Amazon wants to turn Cixin's work into a television show, but there's one issue: the rights belong to China's YooZoo Pictures, and they've been trying to make a Three-Body Problem movie since 2014. According to The Financial Times, Amazon will likely have to pony up $1 billion "to acquire the rights and to produce three seasons of episodes." If anyone can afford that, it's this guy.

Will it happen? I'm not going to hold my breath, but at least it's on their radar. The pricetag is steep though. I'm confident that if Amazon does this, it'll be phenomenal.
https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/21/18700675/chinese-science-fiction-three-body-problem-tv-series-cixin-liu
PacifistAg
AG
Thanks for the link.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
In high school I was a much more avid reader than I am now. I read books like Dune, Asimov's robot series, The Shining, Salems Lot, and The Keep quickly, probably in a week or so.

At A&M I slacked off a bit, primarily reading at Christmas break or during the summer. I started reading It right after it was first published, right before I started my sophomore year in the Fall of '86. Probably got through a chapter or two. At the end of the semester, before I went home for Christmas, I read a bit more. Then on Christmas Eve, I read the rest of It - roughly 900 pages. All that night. Put it down in time for Christmas Day lunch. Toward the end of my time at A&M, I finally picked up The Stand during the summer of '89 and could not put that one down.

After A&M, I remember reading The Sum of All Fears in a week, and then, later, Jurassic Park in a day. I made short work of books like The Firm or Thunder of Erebus ... and then in the mid-90s, I pretty much quit reading. Picked it back up in the early 2000s, but now I am reading mostly non-fiction like The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, Shattered Sword, or Pacific Crucible. I am re-reading Dune currently, much more slowly the first time I read that one.
Thunder18
AG
Jurassic Park
The Stand
Rainbow Six
The Hot Zone
scoop12
AG
Living with a Seal by Jesse Itzer. I read that in a few hours. It is hilarious.

The Martian was another.
Urban Ag
AG
TheDoctor said:

Misery by Stephen King is the very definition of a page turner for me.

The Shining too
I'm not a King or horror fan but I agree with this. Add The Stand. Couldn't put any of the three down.
Urban Ag
AG
For those of you that love non-fiction, Thunder Run by David Zucchino is probably the best non-fiction book I have ever read. Story of the heavy weapons Second Brigade (Spartan) of the 3rd ID during the fall of Baghdad in 2003.

It is completely devoid of politics. It is simply an amazingly detailed account of the 2003 invasion of Iraq from the perspective of the men in the Spartan Brigade that lead the charge in to Baghdad. I thought for years that Black Hawk Down was the finest non-fiction of modern of US warfare, and it is amazing, but Thunder Run is priceless and I highly encourage reading it.
SJEAg
AG
Most of these from high school or even earlier.

The Rainmaker
Alas, Babylon
The Stand
Watchers
Ready Player One
Sphere
Timeline
11/22/63

bobinator
AG
I'm trying to think of a spoiler-free way to word this, but the third book includes a sequence that, if they can get it right visually, could perhaps be one of the greatest scenes ever produced.

I don't know if I have ever been as entranced as I was during that sequence of events. I couldn't put the book down during that whole thing, and at the end literally said out loud 'holy ****.'
schmendeler
AG
bobinator said:

I'm trying to think of a spoiler-free way to word this, but the third book includes a sequence that, if they can get it right visually, could perhaps be one of the greatest scenes ever produced.

I don't know if I have ever been as entranced as I was during that sequence of events. I couldn't put the book down during that whole thing, and at the end literally said out loud 'holy ****.'
3D->2D?
Claude!
I Am Mine said:

I stop reading every book I start, one way or another.
bobinator
AG
Yep
schmendeler
AG
bobinator said:

Yep
agreed. that series is just so well done in so many ways. the plot points are just fascinating.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, it's the most beautiful yet horrifying thing I've ever read.
Rudyjax
AG
Reading Red Rising on my vacation. Very good. I'm not sure why o stopped reading the first time.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.